Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hungary Scrap Gender Studies Indoctrination Courses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Not everyone is cut out to be an Engineer, Software Developer, Accountant or Doctor. Academically or otherwise.

Jeez...this sounds like the type of bull**** I heard during the recession.

"Ah, let's just turn all the unemployed Builders into Software Developers."

Christ on a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Rory28 wrote: »
    Christ on a bike.

I guess whatever degree you did helped you formulate that reasoned response.

I guess whatever degree you did helped you formulate that reasoned response.

And whatever degree you got managed to extrapolate from my post that all builders should be software developers. We are quite the pair.

Its not a strawman and you brought emotives into it so stop with the respect nonsense. You seem to think I said that gender studies is on a level playing field with Medieval Lit. I don't but from an economic point of view they are. This is the topic of the thread not that they are comparable on their academic merit. You brought that into it.

No, I didn't. I joined this thread late while it was already being discussed. And I was giving the opinion that these subjects are worth whatever lack of economic advantages they bring.

This is a forum and topics end up encompassing more than the OP, especially 24 pages in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Not everyone is cut out to be an Engineer, Software Developer, Accountant or Doctor. Academically or otherwise.

While there is truth in that its not a good excuse to go and get a worthless degree.

We need to bring back the Trade Schools [or atleast promote their existence]. Train students to become Plumbers, Electricians, HVAC technicians. While they're not glamorous job they are well paying jobs and will always be in demand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Its not a strawman and you brought emotives into it so stop with the respect nonsense. You seem to think I said that gender studies is on a level playing field with Medieval Lit. I don't but from an economic point of view they are. This is the topic of the thread not that they are comparable on their academic merit. You brought that into it.

Well for example - and I'm no Professor - but say the topic comes up regarding Dante. You can argue themes, meanings, the role of Virgil (why he can't enter Paradise etc) - translations and their merits (did Dorothy L Sayers but a different spin on some points than say, Longfellow ?).

All of these points - and dozens and dozens of others can be raised, argued, debated, questioned - and everyone may have their own thoughts. You'll get spirited arguments and increase the knowledge of the text.

Compare that to gender studies. Say the premise is "women are always put down by men" - there will be no argument allowed to that; no spirited debate - just the commentator being denounced as a sexist pig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    While there is truth in that its not a good excuse to go and get a worthless degree.

We need to bring back the Trade Schools [or atleast promote their existence]. Train students to become Plumbers, Electricians, HVAC technicians. While they're not glamorous job they are well paying jobs and will always be in demand.

I have what many would call a useless degree since my profession doesn't relate to either English or history but it's very much so assisted with my career, I view things from a different perspective from most of my colleagues and that's advantageous. Something that might outwardly seem a bit pointless or useless can be highly useful if done properly and a student engages with it.

batgoat wrote: »
    I have what many would call a useless degree since my profession doesn't relate to either English or history but it's very much so assisted with my career, I view things from a different perspective from most of my colleagues and that's advantageous. Something that might outwardly seem a bit pointless or useless can be highly useful if done properly and a student engages with it.

Then it's not useless - it got you a job.

Be proud!

That it was not economically viable in Hungary. Not that it wasn't a viable job elsewhere.

I'm curious to know if you have any information that actually shows he was wrong in what he stated? Or is this simply that you're right and he's wrong, because he shouldn't be banning any university courses?

My only concern is he signalled out one course. If he scrapped all state funding for courses that are not economically viable I'd agree with him. Signalling out one, even if I think its a pointless course, is where I have an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Compare that to gender studies. Say the premise is "women are always put down by men" - there will be no argument allowed to that; no spirited debate - just the commentator being denounced as a sexist pig.

Only in the imaginary gender studies courses that exist in the minds of people in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

In more creative areas of advertising or marketing you often have people with social science degrees. How many engineers are actually able to sell their own products?

My only concern is he signalled out one course. If he scrapped all state funding for courses that are not economically viable I'd agree with him. Signalling out one, even if I think its a pointless course, is where I have an issue.

But it wasn't just for economical reasons.

According to the government, such courses are not economically viable as they take resources away from other academic fields and produce undesirable graduates for the Hungarian job market, the report said.

Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest, one of the only institutions in the country to offer the classes in Hungarian, will take the largest hit. Lorinc Nacsa, Orban's coalition partner, described gender studies as a "wasteful luxury" and "destructive" in a letter to ELTE's rector last year, Hungarian Free Press reported.

"We must raise awareness to the fact that these programs are doing nothing to lift up our nation. In fact, they are destroying the values-centered mode of thinking that is still present in the countries of Central Europe," Nacsa was quoted as writing.

Hungarian State Secretary Bence R has also questioned the legitimacy of the field, claiming that it is at odds with everything Fidesz's government stands for.

It's pretty clear funding was stopped because it's a load of pish.

According to the government, such courses are not economically viable as they take resources away from other academic fields and produce undesirable graduates for the Hungarian job market, the report said.

Eotvos Lorand University in Budapest, one of the only institutions in the country to offer the classes in Hungarian, will take the largest hit. Lorinc Nacsa, Orban's coalition partner, described gender studies as a "wasteful luxury" and "destructive" in a letter to ELTE's rector last year, Hungarian Free Press reported.

"We must raise awareness to the fact that these programs are doing nothing to lift up our nation. In fact, they are destroying the values-centered mode of thinking that is still present in the countries of Central Europe," Nacsa was quoted as writing.

Hungarian State Secretary Bence R has also questioned the legitimacy of the field, claiming that it is at odds with everything Fidesz's government stands for.

This time its a load of pish but it sets a precedent that he can pick and choose courses that get funded and that imo is very dangerous.

Then it's not useless - it got you a job.

Be proud!

That's the thing though, it was skills learned via it. Based on samples of module content by another user, it's not particularly different to any arts course. Eg studying anti and pro points on allowing sex work.(that's from Trinity in a masters) That requires critical skills when building essays around it and there's very much so divergent views on it. So it seems like people are just a bit oblivious to how such courses operate and what is actually studied.

You came to that conclusion reading the statement? Not the bit where it's at odds with Central European values ( whatever those might be) and is against everything Fidesz stands for. In other words: we are not funding you because you didn't step in line with what government party deems acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Lux23 wrote: »

Yea, why do you have a troll account? What's the purpose?

a bit of gentle ribbing now and again. Is that harassment?

meeeeh wrote: »
    You came to that conclusion reading the statement? Not the bit where it's at odds with Central European values ( whatever those might be) and is against everything Fidesz stands for. In other words: we are not funding you because you didn't step in line with what government party deems acceptable.

I was simply stating that it wasn't just economics involved. And I think it's pish, and they obviously think it's pish, so unless you want me to start going defining what that word means to everyone, then I think my post was fine.

Lux23 wrote: »

a bit of gentle ribbing now and again. Is that harassment?

I've been told watching the new 50 Shades twice and taking no notice of the story - just perving - was "sexual objectification bordering on harassment" so who knows what the current mob of loonies believe!

I was simply stating that it wasn't just economics involved. And I think it's pish, and they obviously think it's pish, so unless you want me to start going defining what that word means to everyone, then I think my post was fine.
    Actually I am pretty sure pish is good enough as long as it creates government lackeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Orban Trump and Putin they will look very libertarian in comparison with the next president of Brazil called Bolsonaro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I know; the quoted goverment comment is ridiculously similar to the stuff the actual, genuine Nazis said about modern art and apparently that's not in the least bit disturbing because the Nazis only exist in history and that sort of thing can't possibly happen again don't you know...

In more creative areas of advertising or marketing you often have people with social science degrees. How many engineers are actually able to sell their own products?

James Dyson

B0jangles wrote: »
    I know; the quoted goverment comment is ridiculously similar to the stuff the actual, genuine Nazis said about modern art and apparently that's not in the least bit disturbing because the Nazis only exist in history and that sort of thing can't possibly happen again don't you know...

Nice to see the nazis invoked again. Modern art is **** btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I did two degrees in philosophy. I'm now a professional problem solver. Everyday I'm given something new to investigate and I'm good at it because I did philosophy. More than anything else those courses shaped who I am and what I do. It turned me into someone who looks for evidence and asks the right questions. I break down what I'm told into it's components and look for the errors, the mistakes. And I'm constantly aware of how I could be wrong, how my feelings could make an argument seem correct, even when it's wrong.

I also did an MSc in Business and a HDip in software development. Neither of them are actually that useful to me.

One of my philosophy degrees focussed strongly on philosophy of religion. It was in a religious college. However not once was I told what to think. Arguments would be explained and discussed. You looked for their strengths and weaknesses. You do a lot of reading and investigations yourself. Yet when you look at the titles of the courses you'd think that they would be indoctrination. That's what you'd expect from a philosophy of religion course in a catholic university.

It seems like some people here make that mistake. They never attended a gender studies course. they haven't read the authors on the courses but they assume because of the name "gender studies" it's something that involves indoctrination.

I don't understand that TBH. If he had decided to ban a heap of courses, and remodeled the way other courses operate, I could understand the objections better. He would obviously then seeking to take complete control over the education at university level.

But courses are often dropped within Universities. Either because they don't receive the funding (internally or externally), the course doesn't receive enough students, there aren't enough appropriate lecturers etc.

I don't get the objection to his banning a single course that he deems unsuitable for his own country. It's not as if if most posters here are defending Gender Studies as a 'reasonable' subject to be studied, instead being outraged that he would ban a course at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Still got no answer from those who dispute this decision with if it was creationism would they think the same? Should all nonsense be taught in education?

Taytoland wrote: »
    Still got no answer from those who dispute this decision with if it was creationism would they think the same? Should all nonsense be taught in education?

Creationism absolutely should NOT be taught in schools.

Creationism absolutely should NOT be taught in schools.
    Good, that settles it then.

Are you talking specifically about religion? Or creationism as a stand alone subject?

I don't understand that TBH. If he had decided to ban a heap of courses, and remodeled the way other courses operate, I could understand the objections better. He would obviously then seeking to take complete control over the education at university level.

But courses are often dropped within Universities. Either because they don't receive the funding (internally or externally), the course doesn't receive enough students, there aren't enough appropriate lecturers etc.

I don't get the objection to his banning a single course that he deems unsuitable for his own country. It's not as if if most posters here are defending Gender Studies as a 'reasonable' subject to be studied, instead being outraged that he would ban a course at all.

I would see it differently. If he had of scrapped government funding to courses that are not economically viable but left to paying out of your own pocket I would have no issue with that. If the govt is to provide a grant it may as well see a return. Its precisely because he signalled one out is where I have an issue. A university dropping a subject is very different to what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

One of the Gender studies lecturers in UCD has taken the news well.

https://twitter.com/MaryMcAuliffe4/status/1027934366180286465

This is the blurb from the MA in Gender Studies in UCD.
    BTW it was formerly known as MA in Women, Gender and Society.

One thing that is beginning to be noticeable thankfully, is that now when someone with the PC conducive narrative makes a pronouncement there are people challenging them.
    It is noticable on the above twitter feed and also on the recent discussions about a freeloading leech from Tallaght.

There is finally a noticable backlash against the narrative been shoved down our throats by the media, lecturers, experts, politicians and selected commentators.
    Graduates have become central members of local communities, key members of NGOs, employees in public-sector agencies, education and media organisations in roles such as: social researchers, project development managers, lecturers, journalists, and policy and advocacy officers.
    Graduates work in Amnesty International, Immigrant Council of Ireland, Crisis Pregnancy Programme, Mcins Sans Frontis, National Broadcasting Authority, RTE, and the National Women’s Council of Ireland.

Now please tell me why we need more people working in NGOs (all sucking off the taxpayer teat) bar maybe people like doctors/nurses/etc, more eejits spouting shyte like una mullaly or louise o neill ?

Isn't it noticable how RTE is listed in there alongside those advocacy organisations.
    And we wonder why their journalism is so shyte.

I am not allowed discuss …

Are you talking specifically about religion? Or creationism as a stand alone subject?
    Was the planet made in 7 days and is it 6 thousand years old and should this be taught in schools? Not every subject has equal merit. Keep the wacky subjects to the dinner table or the Joe Rogan podcast.

Was the planet made in 7 days and is it 6 thousand years old and should this be taught in schools? Not every subject has equal merit. Keep the wacky subjects to the dinner table or the Joe Rogan podcast.

No, but you're dodging my question. Are you against religion being taught or just creationism?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Nice to see the nazis invoked again. Modern art is **** btw.

Well, if it walks like a duck...
    The problem is, a university should decide what courses it offers. The government should keep it's fcuking nose out of that.
    And art is subjective. It can't all be hot oil wrestling and monster truck rallies. Just because it's too boring and complicated for you, doesn't mean it can't exist.
    Otherwise all that would be left is drag racing, since everything else would be too intellectually challenging.

No, but you're dodging my question. Are you against religion being taught or just creationism?
    I can see no reason why either should be taught in education. If you want to learn about religion go to Church every Sunday or Bible classes at the local Church. When I was in primary school at a very young age I remember someone one in my class asking the teacher how do we know any of this is true and she reacted in an offended way as if shocked such a young person would ask such a thing.

If you can see it for what it is at that age then it should be kept to where it belongs.

Grayson wrote: »
    I did two degrees in philosophy. I'm now a professional problem solver. Everyday I'm given something new to investigate and I'm good at it because I did philosophy. More than anything else those courses shaped who I am and what I do. It turned me into someone who looks for evidence and asks the right questions. I break down what I'm told into it's components and look for the errors, the mistakes. And I'm constantly aware of how I could be wrong, how my feelings could make an argument seem correct, even when it's wrong.

I have a BA in Finance and a MBA. I have NLP Practitioner certification along with a host of minor diplomas related to negotiation, interpersonal communication, cultural training etc. I also have a variety of programming related diplomas, and software engineering courses. And I, too, was trained to break theory down into practical considerations.

I think you'll find that most people who have attended formal third level education and worked beyond their initial qualifications (or desired industry) will have the same ability you describe above. The difference is how they perceive their results and whether they believe their perception is an absolute.
    It seems like some people here make that mistake. They never attended a gender studies course. they haven't read the authors on the courses but they assume because of the name "gender studies" it's something that involves indoctrination.

Strangely enough, it seems like people here like to make the assumption that we don't know what we're talking about even when we've actually written pages on the subject over years while debating it on boards. The area of Gender studies is not a new topic to boards. It has been discussed extensively on a number of threads over the years, with people referencing actual courses in the US or Europe, along with articles covering their own criticisms of the subject.

And then, there's the dismissive attitude that we must consider it to be indoctrination... and yet, here's the thing. Lecturers in a course teaching young adults (18-23) are presenting from a position of authority on the subject. Students expect the lecturers to be educated and knowledgeable about the subject matter, and few students are going to research a lecturers past attitudes on topics. The vast majority of students are going to attend lectures, and blindly accept what their lecturers say in class, because that determines their ability to pass the exams. The lecturers will correct their assignments and projects subject only to that lecturers opinion on the subject. The only time you're really going to get students arguing with Lecturers about course content is when they're actively encouraged to do so. (or when they appeal failed papers, and then the university will likely side with the lecturer on principle)

How do I know this? Well, like you as a student... but also through a decade of teaching at university level. I've taught MBA courses in China, Korea and Japan. I've also presented financial/business ethics classes in the UK with private business colleges.

So... indoctrination, no. But the beliefs of the lecturers on the subject matter of what they teach is important. It determines what students will be required to learn, how they approach the areas of assessment, and whether students will actually pass exams. It also determines whether students will receive recommendations from lecturers or the university itself when it comes to grants, scholarships, or employment applications associated with the University.

The truth is that Gender Studies is a very biased course with the recent history of being extremely pro-feminist, and intolerant of students who object. It's entirely possible that Gender studies will evolve into a subject that actually seeks to study gender practices in a unbiased manner, but that's not going to happen without criticism being allowed. Without it's use of questionable statistics or dodgy peer-reviewed material as fact. We should be encouraging that Gender studies programs be exposed to inspection, checking for any signs of either Misandry or Misogyny... seeking a fair and balanced viewpoint on the effects of Gender within society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gender studies is a Mickey Mouse course, creationism is just completely bogus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭cgcsb

slightly hysterical headline. Funding was pulled because it was of little/no value to the state. You used to be able to do 'Canadian studies' in UCD, as part of 'free' tertiary education. The state probably shouldn't waste it's resources on silly courses of no economic value.

Gender studies is a Mickey Mouse course, creationism is just completely bogus.
    Both nonsense. That's the most important point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well its not just one course in isolation either iis it, he's also trying to ban entire universities and media outlets that don't toe his party line. It's all part of an authoritarian campaign

B0jangles wrote: »

I see where you are coming from but in this case I think another comparison is more appropriate. A lot of politicians from ex communist countries grew up in a system where different opinion was not desirable. They don't send people into gulags but often there is very little patience for opposing or plural viewpoints. Basically they are less extreme version of crowd they replaced. It doesn't help that social studies seem to be very popular with their own opponents.

Okay here's the women's studies course in ucc. Seems as legitimate as any other arts course. It's a specialist area like any other in academia.

https://www.ucc.ie/en/womensstudies/mainwomensstudies/

Formulate arguments that reflect a critical and comprehensive, interdisciplinary knowledge of feminist debates around social and cultural issues;
    Communicate those arguments effectively both orally and in writing;
    Apply concepts, theories and methodologies appropriately at postgraduate level;
    Assess how differences (race, ethnicity, class, sexual identity, time, place, values etc.) inform theoretical positions;
    Critically evaluate evidence drawn from existing research and scholarship;
    Design and pursue independent research;
    Utilise those transferable skills developed through engagement with the self-directed learning, research and academic writing aspects of the course.
    Sample module info
    Learning Outcomes: On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
    · Explore themes which connect first and second wave feminism.
    · Identify issues in contemporary society of particular relevance to the lives of women.
    · Analyse and critically assess historical and contemporary interventions designed to address gender inequality and present findings orally and in writing.
    · Explore issues of gender in specific Irish and international documents.
    · Apply a feminist analytical approach in research.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Okay here's the women's studies course in ucc. Seems as legitimate as any other arts course. It's a specialist area like any other in academia.

https://www.ucc.ie/en/womensstudies/mainwomensstudies/

Sample module info

Ah here don’t be telling people what these courses actually teach. Facts and reality are not allowed on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

I wouldn't necessarily fully go by the course description, departments are great at fluffing these things to make them look better than they really are, especially in the humanities.

I wouldn't necessarily fully go by the course description, departments are great at fluffing these things to make them look better than they really are, especially in the humanities.

Ah so now the course description is lying? Is this just because you're not capable of showing what's wrong with that module description? I've generally found module descriptions to be pretty reliable and that one sounds no different to one from history or English modules..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The posters who are celebrating this being banned are the same ones who never stop banging on about gender. Seems like they would love to study the topic full-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Ah so now the course description is lying? Is this just because you're not capable of showing what's wrong with that module description? I've generally found module descriptions to be pretty reliable and that one sounds no different to one from history or English modules..

I am saying they are not the be all and end all of what a course is like. I've worked at third-level for years, I have a PhD and have set and designed my own modules many times. I always try to give a realistic description of course content. I know of many lecturers that "sex-up" module content, particularly if it is an elective, and many who pay little attention to it and deviate from it quite a bit, depending on class size and other factors.

Stop getting carried away with yourself.

Because Lecturers will have the freedom to choose, and deliver content within any module in whatever manner they wish.

But in any case, the women's studies course in ucc, is aimed directly at women, so there is little need to fluff what the description says. It's a women's studies course rather than seeking to promote itself as a gender studies course (which would suggest a lack of bias or actually seeking to promote equality). Hence the focus on 1st/2nd wave feminism whose aims are far more justifiable as opposed to the more relevant 3rd/4th wave feminism which we're exposed to now. The module description does a fair job of showing the bias that would be inherent in the course, since Feminism is such a major part of it. Feminism which, naturally, seeks to excuse female responsibility and attach responsibility to the male gender for anything wrong in society (whether real or imagined).

The posters who are celebrating this being banned are the same ones who never stop banging on about gender.

Who is celebrating that this was banned? Go on. Love to see you find the posts where anyone is jumping for joy.
    Seems like they would love to study the topic full-time.

TBH I doubt I need to study it full-time, since my participation in threads on boards have given me plenty of opportunities to research the topic, and read about the different perspectives on the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Apply a feminist analytical approach in research.

reminds me of :D

251916-quote-being-a-scientologist-when-you-drive-past-an-accident-you-know-you-have-to-do-something-tom-cruise-55-85-61.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement