Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do shops have to let customers use their toilets?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If you are going to the shop OP be sure to first ask if the toilet is a public one . Because if its a staff toilet I would definitely not be creating any sort of fuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Jaysus...people being way to harsh here.

Kids would have a great time nosing around in the shop picking out what they wanted till whoever was in charge went and get heir wallet.

Somewhere in that time, child needs to use the loo and doesthe right thing and asks but is refused. Having been told not to leave the shop, again he does what he was told and stays in the shop.

Comments that he's not toilet trained etc are totally un necessary and unhelpful.

I totally understand for reasons outlined above (namely insurance scammers and dirty fckers) why the shop refused and the Dad will just have to accept that as policy, harsh and all as it seems. If the shop staff were told not to let anyone use the staff toilets then they might have gotten into trouble themselves so just give a blanket NO.

What I really don't get though, is the need to slag off a ten year old child.

He's 10 ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

BeerFarts wrote: »
    It's amazing you've got people advocating calling the guards and tusla. There are some seriously deranged people here.

It sucks for the kid but sh!t happens.

And if the child got hurt while unattended? who's responsibility should it be? leaving 2 10 year olds alone is the irresponsible act here, not refusing access to a bathroom, which sometimes isn't feasible depending onthe shop layout, number of staff etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

anewme wrote: »

Kids would have a great time nosing around in the shop picking out what they wanted till whoever was in charge went and get heir wallet.

Somewhere in that time, child needs to use the loo and doesthe right thing and asks but is refused. Having been told not to leave the shop, again he does what he was told and stays in the shop.

Comments that he's not toilet trained etc are totally un necessary and unhelpful.

I totally understand for reasons outlined above (namely insurance scammers and dirty fckers) why the shop refused and the Dad will just have to accept that as policy, harsh and all as it seems. If the shop staff were told not to let anyone use the staff toilets then they might have gotten into trouble themselves so just give a blanket NO.

He's 10 ffs.

Except he also has IBS. I think the fault lies on the guardian for leaving the kid in the situation, and not the shops. If the guardian didn't know, it should of been explained to them by the parent (presuming OP in this situation) so the kid didn't find themselves in an awkward situation. Seems like an excuse to mitigate blame to somebody else, which I have no time for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

What about toilet shops?

soups05 wrote: »
    really don't get this at all. Why was it a problem for the ten year old to cross the road to the shopping centre toilets?

in the OP it states the kid nearly sh*t himself, hence why some posters called him partially toilet trained. But it appears he is unable to cross the road alone either. Is this kid suffering from a disability not disclosed in the op? if not then he can shag off.

I reckon the kids were told NOT to leave the shop and were just doing what they were told.

Except he also has IBS. I think the fault lies on the guardian for leaving the kid in the situation, and not the shops. If the guardian didn't know, it should of been explained to them by the parent (presuming OP in this situation) so the kid didn't find themselves in an awkward situation. Seems like an excuse to mitigate blame to somebody else, which I have no time for.

I don't think the fault lies with the shop either.

I've said I get their policy. I've said the Dad will just have to accept it.

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying there's some very bitchy comments made on here about a ten year old child.

Who has done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I don't think the fault lies with the shop either.

I've said I get their policy. I've said the Dad will just have to accept it.

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying there's some very bitchy comments made on here about a ten year old child.

Who has done nothing wrong.

I agree that comments blaming the child are out of order alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I hope nobody here was out for a whole day with no toilet around when suddenly the sh1t properly hits you and it feels like you burst.
    Never had an unexpected pressure that just got you?
    Seems like boards is occupied from the poop elite that never had any movements whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Lance Warm Yawn

Left a fella use our jacks in our store room and he nicked wallets/phones and a vodka bottle ... that and insurance probably would mAke shops not allow customers in the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If it was two ten year olds , they could use their combined ages and present themselves as a twenty year old.

Also petrol stations must have a jax for the public.

LirW wrote: »
    I hope nobody here was out for a whole day with no toilet around when suddenly the sh1t properly hits you and it feels like you burst.
    Never had an unexpected pressure that just got you?
    Seems like boards is occupied from the poop elite that never had any movements whatsoever.

As a matter of interest would you allow a stranger use your private toilet if in a predicament ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So a shop has to let a person who is in the shop use their staff toilet ? Do you know of any law that says that ?

Some things are above/outside the law and in the realm of simple kindness. I often have to ask in LIDL due to age related need and always courtesy.

Same re kids surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Also petrol stations [b/]must have a jax for the public.

As in should, or are required to?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As in should, or are required to?

I think they're required to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As a matter of interest would you allow a stranger use your private toilet if in a predicament ?

Excuse my saying so but that is a totally different matter. Shops are per se public places.. If someone were in my house for some reason eg workman, and needed the toilet then of course.
    But I am not in the habit of letting total strangers in for no reason???????

A child caught short is a real need. Would hope any shop would help .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What I've learned: It's a surprisingly hard issue to get a clear answer on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Graces7 wrote:
    Excuse my saying so but that is a totally different matter. Shops are per se public places.. If someone were in my house for some reason eg workman, and needed the toilet then of course. But I am not in the habit of letting total strangers in for no reason???????

You are mistaken there. Part of the shop can be seen as a public place but anything off the shop floor is definitely not public. In most cases a customer isn't insured to be "out back" of the shop. Once you pass the "staff only" sign it is dangerous territory.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Some things are above/outside the law and in the realm of simple kindness. I often have to ask in LIDL due to age related need and always courtesy.

Same re kids surely.
    Well in fairness a staff toilet is surely not for public use ? Nor is my private toilet in my house . I had a request once from a charity collector at my door to use my toilet . I had no problem with that as a once off . But if I had two or three requests a week I think I would be simply denying them all the use . You see its not one request that causes people to refuse it is multiple requests and people who think they should be entitled to use a private facility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm informed that they are not required to have public toilets at all.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Excuse my saying so but that is a totally different matter. Shops are per se public places.. If someone were in my house for some reason eg workman, and needed the toilet then of course.
    But I am not in the habit of letting total strangers in for no reason???????

A child caught short is a real need. Would hope any shop would help .

The shop may be a public place the toilet may not be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t think they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Well in fairness a staff toilet is surely not for public use ? Nor is my private toilet in my house . I had a request once from a charity collector at my door to use my toilet . I had no problem with that as a once off . But if I had two or three requests a week I think I would be simply denying them all the use . You see its not one request that causes people to refuse it is multiple requests and people who think they should be entitled to use a private facility

Charity collector? Use your bucket!

Seriously I'd send them to the public loo.

I dont want strangers shítting in my house!

Try_harder wrote: »
    Charity collector? Use your bucket!

Seriously I'd send them to the public loo.

I dont want strangers ****ting in my house!

It was a very young woman who was out all day in heavy showers . I have two daughters who I hope if they were so badly in need that a kind person would come to their aid .As I said a once off request from a lovely young woman . If it happened daily I would definitely not allow it

It was a very young woman who was out all day in heavy showers . I have two daughters who I hope if they were so badly in need that a kind person would come to their aid .

young woman allow her into my house? No. That creates a whole host of other issues!

What did the charity have them out in the rain????

I'm a kind person, but I'm not naive

young woman allow her into my house? No. That creates a whole host of other issues!

What did the charity have them out in the rain????

I'm a kind person, but I'm not naive

Nor am I . And I would prefer not to go into details

Nor am I . And I would prefer not to go into details

why not? you brought it up

why not? you brought it up

I did indeed , doesn't mean you are entitled to know this womans situation ?

I did indeed , doesn't mean you are entitled to know this womans situation ?

situation?? Now I am intrigued - would I let a door to door charity collector use my loo- still no

situation?? Now I am intrigued - would I let a door to door charity collector use my loo- still no

And that is entirely your perogative

• Advertisement

And that is entirely your perogative

a while ago you weren't so agreeable.

a while ago you weren't so agreeable.

When was I not ? Agreeable to what What you do with your private facilities is your business ? As is the shop in the OP
    No idea what your actual problem is with me ? .

When was I not ? Agreeable to what What you do with your private facilities is your business ? As is the shop in the OP
    No idea what your actual problem is with me ? .

insinuating that I wouldn't be a kind person if I didnt let them.

insinuating that I wouldn't be a kind person if I didnt let them.

At no stage did I do that ? Quote it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

If a partially toilet-trained 10 year old was left alone ( or with a similarly-aged other kid) in my shop, I'd be calling the guards.

And the Guards would hang up on you.

It was a very young woman who was out all day in heavy showers . I have two daughters who I hope if they were so badly in need that a kind person would come to their aid .As I said a once off request from a lovely young woman . If it happened daily I would definitely not allow it

Here

Here

Nothing in that post referes to you. Nor does anything in that post say that anyone not allowing her in is unkind
    So don't put words in my mouth please

Now enough of de railing this thread

Nothing in that post referes to you

It was a quoted reply to what I said!!!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don’t think they are.

I've changed my mind and decided to agree with and go against everything AH stands for and not continue a pointless argument .

So how's everyone doing in their Fantasy Football Leagues ?

• Advertisement

I've changed my mind and decided to agree with and go against everything AH stands for and not continue a pointless argument .

So how's everyone doing in their Fantasy Football Leagues ?

Didnt enter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Shite in the bucket OP.

Shite in the bucket

I'd imagine they have a right to refuse, but it's probably the most sensible option in terms of reputation and future business to allow somebody use it, particularly if they're from the locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'd imagine they have a right to refuse, but it's probably the most sensible option in terms of reputation and future business to allow somebody use it, particularly if they're from the locality.

Financial incentive shouldnt be the reason. Basic human decency should come first. Seems like that is well down the pecking order for alot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

He's 10 ffs.

It took just 2 minutes of distraction for James Bulger to be taken from his mother by a couple of kids. Anyone who thinks leaving a ten year old on his own while you head home for 10 minutes is completely deranged.

It took just 2 minutes of distraction for James Bulger to be taken from his mother by a couple of kids. Anyone who thinks leaving a ten year old on his own while you head home for 10 minutes is completely deranged.

Janes Bulger was 2.

It was an extreme incident.

My post focus is on the people slagging off a ten year old as if he is at fault fior any of this, which is not acceptable.

• Advertisement

If it's a 10 year old kid of course. If it's an adult, yeah, probably too if I don't have a dodgy feeling about it.

LirW wrote: »
    If it's a 10 year old kid of course. If it's an adult, yeah, probably too if I don't have a dodgy feeling about it.

As a once off I would too . But I presume if it was a regular thing we would all get fed up

As a once off I would too . But I presume if it was a regular thing we would all get fed up

Don't get me wrong, I know why shops don't let customers go and they're completely in their right to do so.
    My original post was more directed at the people that are foaming in front of their screens and were about to call Tusla, the guards and the president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Amazing how short sighted some people are. Let the customer go to the bathroom and you will more than likely have them as a customer again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Keepaneye wrote: »
    Amazing how short sighted some people are. Let the customer go to the bathroom and you will more than likely have them as a customer again.

Or more likely in this country they'll crap on the floor and then sue you went they slip on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement