Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should men get bigger portions in restaurants than women?

• 12-08-2018 6:05pm
    Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Men have a higher recommended daily calorie allowance than women so why are they served the same size portions in restaurants?

Is this practice unhealthy and contributing to our obesity epidemic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

🤯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Should toilet seats in women's bathrooms be smaller... Where do you stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

You get what you pay for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Or keep them the same size but make mens bigger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Or keep them the same size but make mens bigger?

Bit of an oxymoron...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yes, demand half the women's steak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I worked in restaurants. They were generally set portions at a set price.
    However you could always order extra portions at your own cost!

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Couldn't they just have one menu for men, and one for women?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Bit of an oxymoron...

Keep current portions the same size for women, but make mens bigger, rather than keeping mens the same size and making womens smaller...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What about if a lady is a fatty boom boom?

Like yer ma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Balanadan wrote: »
    Men have a higher recommended daily calorie allowance than women so why are they served the same size portions in restaurants?

Eating in a restaurant is a treat and so should happen so infrequently that it makes no difference to your overall intake and diet.
    No one meal makes any difference, it’s the overall intake compared to expenditure that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

If it's the same price, it should be the same size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Just take a bit from the woman's meal and your sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not sure to be honest but each gender must be allowed to order of which ever menu of their choosing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given more Irish men than women are obese, I'd say no.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m currently breastfeeding so burning approx 500 calories more than a “normal” woman. I eat more than my husband.

Everyone has different calorie requirements. Just because they put the food in front of someone doesn’t mean they have to eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can we take boards down again for another 24 hours? It’s still not good.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

bee06 wrote: »
    I’m currently breastfeeding so burning approx 500 calories more than a “normal” woman. I eat more than my husband.

Everyone has different calorie requirements. Just because they put the food in front of someone doesn’t mean they have to eat it.
    It's terrible to waste food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It's terrible to waste food.

You’re never happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

This gender war ****e is starting to get really tedious...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Women can’t eat out with the closed Burka / Niqab thing on anyways . So way more for the men .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

blinding wrote: »
    Women can’t eat out with the closed Burka / Niqab thing on anyways . So way more for the men .

Aw man, if you had shoe-horned Tommy Robinson in there you would have bagged the After Hours hat-trick.

_Brian wrote: »
    Eating in a restaurant is a treat and so should happen so infrequently that it makes no difference to your overall intake and diet.
    No one meal makes any difference, it’s the overall intake compared to expenditure that counts.

Eating in a restaurant is not a treat nowadays, its a very regular if almost daily thing for many if you include getting your lunch and other types of eating out. I'd eat in a restaurant at least once a week, get takeaway at least once a week and buy my lunch out everyday.

As for portion sizes I find them a little on the small side for me but my oh finds them a little big so in most restaurants I finish her dinner after my own and in general this is about the right amount to fill me up.

Aw man, if you had shoe-horned Tommy Robinson in there you would have bagged the After Hours hat-trick.
    Tommy lost a lot of weight in the Big House . No way was he getting full portions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Hey! I'm a chubster, I want the same size meal as the men. This arse of mine has cost me many meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Balanadan wrote:

We get to finish our wives dinner?

Changing the status quo would actually reduce the women's portion as dinner portions are based on a man's daily requirement.

I like getting to finish her meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This is why the man should order for the woman. If she looks like she's put on a few pounds order her a salad.

This is why the man should order for the woman. If she looks like she's put on a few pounds order her a salad.
    They take the salad suggestion very well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

blinding wrote: »
    They take the salad suggestion very well .

It's not a suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Wibbs wrote: »
    Given more Irish men than women are obese, I'd say no.

Girls are more likely to be obese than boys so maybe we could do it on the kiddy menu. But what about non binary people?

http://www.nurse2nurse.ie/Upload/NA6134bjn2009.pdf

Actually the data is a little old now, maybe we should have done this at some indeterminate point in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Some restaurabts now have large or small portions, for example you can order a salad as a starter portion or a main. Depends on if you are hungry or not.

It's down to each individual to eat what they want themselves and deal with the consequences.

Peoole who watch and count what other people eat and monitor others portion sizes he got more potatoes than me€ instead of just looking after themselves have issues and are usually overweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    Hey! I'm a chubster, I want the same size meal as the men. This arse of mine has cost me many meals.

Don't pretend you haven't nicked food off their plate. Every girlfriend I've ever had has done that. I think it may be genetic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

They need to cut down the womens portion size. I won't have to be a pri#k every Sunday morning reminding the wife to go for a jog!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

No way. Nothing better than seeing her struggle to finish, and you then offering to finish the food for her as you ‘don’t like waste’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

guess restaurants could make money from introducing a new portion size for whoever feels like paying for it: maybe they could have kiddie, adult and american portion types ?!?

- nah, I know you're all healthy eaters, and just messing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They need to cut down the womens portion size. I won't have to be a pri#k every Sunday morning reminding the wife to go for a jog!

That's a terrible way to behave

I mean it's very inefficient. Always having to tell her what to do. Especially when she doesn't follow instructions too well.

I always find it more productive is to get the ride out of the way first, then to bundle her into the boot of the car, take her up into the Dublin mountains and let her find her own way home

You wife that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

That's a terrible way to behave

I mean it's very inefficient. Always having to tell her what to do. Especially when she doesn't follow instructions too well.

I always find it more productive is to get the ride out of the way first, then to bundle her into the boot of the car, take her up into the Dublin mountains and let her find her own way home

You wife that is.

So that's why it's been taking her so long to get home. She has 200 miles or so to cover. And there's me screeching all morning for a cup of tea. Next time just pick her up at the house and grab me a breakfast roll on the way

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There was an Austrian-style restaurant near Donard years back. You could have as much as you wanted, but you paid by the weight of each item. Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Equality of % rda for all.

No reductions either I demand more bang for my buck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

If I'm paying the same as a man, I want the same portion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Question makes no sense. Should petrol be cheaper if you have a bigger fuel tank? Obviously not.

Buffets though, now there's a situation where skinnier people shouldn't be paying as much as fat folks, as the chances are they won't eat anywherenear as much.

Ever see the faces on Chinese Buffet owners faces when a Sumo Wrestling team walk in the door?

No, me neither, but I want to :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

If I'm paying the same as a man, I want the same portion
    and you could "charge" your man when he wants a share from your plate - as nothing is free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Yes, because women just love eating what's on men's plates.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

mvl wrote: »

guess restaurants could make money from introducing a new portion size for whoever feels like paying for it: maybe they could have kiddie, adult and American portion types ?!?

That reminds me of a bit of graffiti I once saw in a lift in a Dublin Hotel:

A sign in the lift read " Maximum capacity 8 people" to which a wag had added "or four Americans"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

nullzero wrote: »
    Yes, because women just love eating what's on men's plates.

Does that really happen? I've heard anecdotal evidence that a woman orders a plate of dock leaves, then proceeds to devour her fellas steak.

Has it ever happened though?

I'm fat, and will happily devour the same size portion as Mr Bubo. He likes his steak well done, I prefer medium- rare myself. If I wanted greenery I'd munch on my lawn sure!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have a weighing scale at the door, weigh in, weigh out
    and you pay for the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Why are women even allowed in restaurants???

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Why are women even allowed in restaurants???

Because there's kitchens in them...

Fcuk sake

• Advertisement
Advertisement