Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They all have lovely bottoms. It's Rose of Tralee 2018 time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

warsaw2018 wrote: »
    paddy power has the heifer from toronto at 200/1
    good eachway bet
    broad back
    wide hips

You sure you're posting on the right website?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭warsaw2018

You sure you're posting on the right website?
    we ask the questions around here ######

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Waterford is stunning. Also liked Florida and Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

paddy power has the heifer from toronto at 200/1
    good eachway bet
    broad back
    wide hips

Very hard make money out of sucklers though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Obviously you did not see the Newfoundland girl tonight...

Mad as a box of frogs. She won't win, though— which is a shame, because she seemed very genuine and was hilariously entertaining, whether it was intentional or not.

Well, like I said, I’m not watching it again so I missed that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Do people ever get tired of the lovely girls/Rose of Tralee comparison? That reference is over 20 years old at this stage.

It was funny then, now its unoriginal and hacky from overuse.

Maybe because the festival format itself is tired and never changed either in about half a century. Like it or not it's still a glorified beauty pageant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They still must get good viewing figures

It's basically like Late Late Show but just as cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Obviously you did not see the Newfoundland girl tonight...

Mad as a box of frogs. She won't win, though— which is a shame, because she seemed very genuine and was hilariously entertaining, whether it was intentional or not.

This intrigued me, so I had a quick Google. Found an rte player link, clicked on it. Looking all over the page, it seems the only option is to download their app. Download it, and go back to the webpage and refresh. Still only the option for the player. Click it and it brings me back to the Play Store. Click on open. There's the top 5 moments from the Rose of Tralee at the top of the page, not what I want. Try to search. Tells me I can only search for programmes. I decide the top 5 will be the way to go and click on it. It tells me it will start in 30 seconds. Timer not moving. Eventually it starts moving and a little later an ad starts. The ad is only 20 seconds, so I'm treated to an additional 10 seconds of darkness. Show starts. I wanted to skip ahead to find the box of frogs, but it was too awkward and unresponsive.

I gave up and uninstalled. That was the end of my first experience of the Android version of the RTÉ player.

My previous experience was years back on a UPC digital box, which strangely had different shows to the online, in-browser RTÉ player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Will the Abu Dhabi rose wear a burka ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's a bit cringey but it as long as it makes money for Killarney's ugly sister of a town that's all that matters I guess.

Killarney has beautiful surrounds but I have never found much merit to the town. It is just a functional place serving basic needs of the tourists venturing into the scenery.
    I was in Tralee lately and was pleasantly surprised by the substantial and well-maintained park and Ivy terrace - very pretty. Tralee could serve itself better by drawing a line under that dodgy festival though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

topper75 wrote: »
    Killarney has beautiful surrounds but I have never found much merit to the town. It is just a functional place serving basic needs of the tourists venturing into the scenery.
    I was in Tralee lately and was pleasantly surprised by the substantial and well-maintained park and Ivy terrace - very pretty. Tralee could serve itself better by drawing a line under that dodgy festival though.

Killarney was built just for that, don't be expecting an opera house and a monorail.
    Tralee looks run-down in places and a bit dicey after closing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Such an expensive place, Fogo Island Inn. All Newfoundland is quite expensive, like Canada in General, but more so there because of its very low population density. The Newfie’s are culturally very British Isles rather than North America, favourite programs are British Soaps and Irish documentaries. Almost the entire cast of Corrie had visited there too by popular request, and almost every citizen of St John’s has done at least once or intends to visit Dublin on the 5 day a week flight which serves such a small isolated city.
    I used to watch Republic Of Doyle, a comedy detective programme set in St John's, about a father and son team. There were loads of Irish accents by the locals, they'd refer to chips rather than fries, and there were other little things like that. Good stuff! The father was played the Donegal actor, Sean McGinley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Killarney was built just for that, don't be expecting an opera house and a monorail.
    Tralee looks run-down in places and a bit dicey after closing time.

The monorail would be a more Shelbybille idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

McGaggs wrote: »
    I gave up and uninstalled. That was the end of my first experience of the Android version of the RTÉ player.

My previous experience was years back on a UPC digital box, which strangely had different shows to the online, in-browser RTÉ player.

RTE is just dire generally— the signal went on our HD VM connection about five times during the last three contestants (those were all I saw) last night.

RTE Player on TV is subject to different licensing deals than their streaming platforms for mobile/PC, so that's why the content varies. I assume it's along the same lines of the TV licence stuff, but I can't say for sure, though I do remember reading about the Australian soaps and why they were available in one place and not the other.

May or may not tune in to the second half tonight, depending on what else I'm doing. I wish all the contestants well, but it's not really my idea of entertainment for more than half an hour or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Every rose has its thawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

McGaggs wrote: »
    Eh?

Dat right... y’all don’t know da game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Night two!

Drum roll please ........

• Advertisement

..and Ruth Negga is your rose of tralee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

The ladies seem nice but I don't know. It's a kind of too nice. Life the female equivalent of a mammas boy.

Not that I would have a chance anyway. :)

She’s a nice looking girl in fairness

Well I don’t know if fairness is the right word but we have a winner....congrats to Mrs Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I would have went for the London Rose but Waterford is good enough for me.

I would have went for the London Rose but Waterford is good enough for me.

Urgh no, London was a humble-braggart.

Did my shligo girl even make the cut :confused: didn’t see her there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

She looks like your one from Coronation Street. I don't think she's attractive and I like women with dark skin.

i had this filly backed in a lucky 15 with a few horses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I can't be the only one getting the bang of a token victory off it..?

Noveight wrote: »
    tokenfromsouthpark.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Not surprised as the world is becoming a bland and p.c. place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

Lovely looking colleen, although her aul fella didn't look too comfortable on the stage!!

Daithi played a blinder.

Fair dues to Tralee - they're laughing at the rest of us for pulling off a tourism bonanza like that every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Urgh no, London was a humble-braggart.

Good to see you caved in, and watched it....... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

i had this filly backed in a lucky 15 with a few horses

Still trying for a bite?

Try harder ........ :rolleyes:

Well done to the Waterford winner (from Kilkenny) :)

I thought the Cork and Galway roses were beautiful.
    Daithi was great, imo .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

She is very attractive.

Did not watch a bit of it though.

I remember seeing that Dublin rose from few years ago who did that mental dance on stage and that was enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

What are the odds that next year's winner will be a Tranny?

Not really. There’s been a few mixed race winners before. It’s actually old news at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Not really. There’s been a few mixed race winners before. It’s actually old news at this stage.

It was her speech on the wonders of diversity that are probably fueling the politically motivated judging theory.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    It was her speech on the wonders of diversity that are probably fueling the politically motivated judging theory.

Meh. People who saw her thought she just came across well. Sometimes it’s that simple. It makes sense to me that a mixed race Irish person will be asked about that topic as it’s still quite rare. Luzveminda O’Sullivan fielded similar questions 20 years ago. I remember how much was made of her Irish-Filipino heritage.

It’s like when Nadiya Hussein won the Great British Bake Off. People who had clearly never watched her series were making noises about her only being picked to promote diversity. Which was bemusing to anyone who watched the show. She had a rocky start and then blossomed, becoming the most innovative contestant that season. She was the clear winner, no conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

That’s not what the papers are reporting, they have her as the first finalist let alone winner.

• Advertisement

Jack Moore wrote: »
    That’s not what the papers are reporting, they have her as the first finalist let alone winner.

Well, that’s lazy reporting then. Or else they know what people will eat up (both people who preach diversity and those who love to grumble about it) The facts are that there have been at least three mixed race winners (Luzveminda O’Sullivan, Tara Talbot and Clare Kambamettu), the first of which was exactly twenty years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

She's only the third mixed race winner in the competition's 59 years, hardly old news tbf. Quick bit of Googling tells me that an O'Sullivan girl who won in 1998 had a mother from the Phillipines, while 2010's winner had an Indian Da.

Edit: I see you've mentioned Tara Talbot in 2011 and are indeed correct.

She's only the third mixed race winner in the competition's 59 years, hardly old news tbf. Quick bit of Googling tells me that an O'Sullivan girl who won in 1998 had a mother from the Phillipines, while 2010's winner had an Indian Da.

Edit: I see you've mentioned Tara Talbot in 2011 and are indeed correct.

Four mixed race winners seems about right? I mean, most Irish contestants are going to be fully Irish (as in, they go back generations) and many of the foreign Roses are actually Irish, but just living abroad. And many actually foreign Roses will come from almost completely Irish ancestry, because immigrant groups would have stuck together earlier in the 20th century. As time goes on, that would probably change.

4 of the last 20 Roses have been mixed race. That doesn’t strike me as tokenistic at all. That’s 20%! And before that, it makes sense that the contestants would be less diverse as mixed race relationships would have been more frowned upon in the mid-late 20th century in the Anglophone countries where Irish immigrants found themselves.

I think it’s wide of the mark and not a little insulting to the winner to call her win a token gesture. She seemed well-liked on the RoT thread in the TV forum.

I watched this from start to finish last year for old time’s sake because I loved it as a little girl. I regretted my decision so won’t be repeating it this year.
    Well, like I said, I’m not watching it again so I missed that!
    Well, that’s lazy reporting then. Or else they know what people will eat up (both people who preach diversity and those who love to grumble about it) The facts are that there have been at least three mixed race winners (Luzveminda O’Sullivan, Tara Talbot and Clare Kambamettu), the first of which was exactly twenty years ago.

Wow ... You've changed - your tune....

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya probably the only thing we all sit down and watch together, the kids are in to it as well its hard to explain. You would expect some year that some contestant would make a stand and let loose on stage and take her clothes off or do something daft but not this year anyway . Pity they don't have a second and third and a couple of fallers off the stage might make the betting more interesting for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

WATCH: The London Rose's Granny Stole The Show At The Rose Of Tralee Last Night
    Screen-Shot-2018-08-22-at-11.33.53.png?mtime=20180822113442
    https://lovin.ie/entertainment/tv-movies/ondon-roses-granny-stole-the-show-rose-tralee

The granny was on tv before below

Nora Hawkes from Askeaton, Co. Limerick is Máirtín Tom Sheáinín's guest on today's Comhrá. Nora tells Máirtín about her decision at 74 years of age to go to Africa to teach. She stayed there for 4 years
    https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=5778355622001&teideal=Comhr%C3%A1&series=Comhr%C3%A1&dlft=31

http://www.colaistemhuireask.ie/cmamain/?p=41

greenspurs wrote: »
    Wow ... You've changed - your tune....

:o

I said that I wouldn’t sit through a whole show again... and I didn’t. In the interests of transparency, I caught the last four or five contestants on the last night because my mother was visiting so I was watching RTÉ when I usually wouldn’t. Does watching it in the past (something I already acknowledged) and googling stuff about it negate that?

In what way did I change my tune? The third quote you have of mine doesn’t contradict the first two at all. A quick google gave me all that information. No watching of the show was required.

I said that I wouldn’t sit through a whole show again... and I didn’t. Does watching it in the past and googling stuff about it negate that?

In what way did I change my tune?

You went from dismissing it completely , to googling facts (?) about it to post on here....

Fair play to yaa, I wouldn't go to that much bother about something I didn't watch, or had no interest in....

greenspurs wrote: »
    You went from dismissing it completely , to googling facts (?) about it to post on here....

Fair play to yaa, I wouldn't go to that much bother about something I didn't watch, or had no interest in....

I have an interest in people talking about the current winner being a tokenistic choice. I watched it back when the first mixed race winner was chosen 20 years ago. It was clear in my mind.

I also didn’t exactly say I had no interest, but that the women participating are reduced to spouting banalities.

I get that you think you caught me out but I think you need to read my posts more carefully. And, again, the third quote of mine that you posted doesn’t invalidate the first two. They were outlining why I wouldn’t sit through a full showing again - something I stuck to. Catching the end of the programme on the last night is very different. And I commented on what I saw here on boards.

• Advertisement

But IF you didn't watch it ALL -
    Why would you come on here to comment about something you haven't watch? Just to comment on what others are saying about it ? Strange !

Advertisement