Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Those in jail should be forced to go litter picking.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

The defence forces is currently in complete chaos and can't retain soldiers. And you now want to load on more duties for no extra money while simultaneously paying the prison guard double time... Good luck with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

5 other jobs

Painting houses.
    Painting shops
    Cutting grass
    Powerhosing streets
    Weeding

I couk d think of another 50

I can only think of another two. Fixing potholes and rat catching. What else is on your list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The prison service and the gardai have enough on their hands trying to keep lads escaping as it is.

Letting them outside to pick rubbish? It'd be Keystone Kops stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

100% in favour of this. Get them out of their cells for a few hours doing something good for the community.
    Can you really see an armed soldier chasing a prisoner along the Dodder ?

The prisoners would be wearing legcuffs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I reckon a bit of work in the community would actually be a good idea for prisoners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

tom1ie wrote: »
    Went for a walk today along the dodder. The levels of plastic bottles, bags aluminum cans etc is astronomical. So it got me to thinking, why can’t we use people locked up in prison to go out and clean up these areas.
    Obviously:
    Under heavy supervision.
    Low level offenders, ie no murderers rapists etc.

It seems they are a resource we pay for, by housing and feeding etc, but we get no return from them.

So use slave labour prison chain gangs instead of actually hiring more street sweepers and litter wardens?

Where is the sense in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Too many people on this thread have watched Cool Hand Luke and rooted for the warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Berserker wrote: »
    100% in favour of this. Get them out of their cells for a few hours doing something good for the community.

The prisoners would be wearing legcuffs.

Turning the place into America then? They do this in the states.

Instead of using prisoners to pick up litter make it a community service sentence for people who have committed minor crimes, no needs to use prisoners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

DChancer wrote: »
    So use slave labour prison chain gangs instead of actually hiring more street sweepers and litter wardens?

Where is the sense in that?

Slave labor?
    These people owe a debt to society. They can reduce their sentence by actively partaking in this and repaying their debt to society. Not so sure about the leg cuffs idea but electronic tagging could be used.

• Advertisement

jjbrien wrote: »
    Turning the place into America then? They do this in the states.

Instead of using prisoners to pick up litter make it a community service sentence for people who have committed minor crimes, no needs to use prisoners.

Yeah people on the dole long term and community sentence for minor crimes would work. I think prisoners on the low level dangerous scale could be used and this would give them a sense of achievement and something to work for. Again I’m not talking about letting out armed burglars, murderers, rapists etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

tom1ie wrote: »
    Slave labor?
    These people owe a debt to society. They can reduce their sentence by actively partaking in this and repaying their debt to society. Not so sure about the leg cuffs idea but electronic tagging could be used.

What's wrong with the leg cuffs? If they don't like it then they can just stop breaking the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

this should be given to people on job seekers. i believe its what they do in Australia.

it shouldnt just stop with picking up litter. they should be made to do jobs around the community.

there would be a small increase in the cost due to insurance, supervision etc.

but there would also be a decrease in the amount of people who just use the social to sponge off and the community would get the benefit from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    this should be given to people on job seekers. i believe its what they do in Australia.

it shouldnt just stop with picking up litter. they should be made to do jobs around the community.

Most people on job seekers are not permitted to even do charity work. How would you go about changing the departments stance on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

tuxy wrote: »
    Most people on job seekers are not permitted to even do charity work. How would you go about changing the departments stance on that?

it was just an idea i have no idea how it would be implemented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    it was just an idea i have no idea how it would be implemented

I don't know if it could.
    I did a fetac course years ago where about 75% of the people were only there because their payment would be cut if they didn't agree. They would always be on time for roll call then switch off as soon as the lecture started.
    People would take the same attitude with any community work scheme.
    You can't force them to work.
    Even with the prisoners, what do you do if they deliberately work slow.
    I've seen them in court laughing as the judge hands out a sentence, they don't care about jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

I can't think of the official tittle but the guy who's in charge of the people doing community service occasional brings a little bus load of lads doing this near me.
    Locals generally don't like the guys being in the area tough.

I had to do community service and it was like that. I actually didnt mind doing th work but got some strange reactions alright. We had to do clean ups and also painting and weeding. Different things on different days.

Some of the lads took it seriously but some just took the piss. Depended on the supervisor too. Some worked us harder than others (but not too hard) wgilw some didnt mind if you just sat around smoking.

Dont know about getting prisoners to do it with talk of guards, armed soldiers and legcuffs. Sounds like too much troule. They could do more of it with people on community service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Leg cuffs.
    Elf n Safety wouldn't have that...expecting anyone to work with those on. One trip and you'll have a compo case on your hands.
    This isn't the Deep South circa 1933.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Leg cuffs.
    Elf n Safety wouldn't have that...expecting anyone to work with those on. One trip and you'll have a compo case on your hands.
    This isn't the Deep South circa 1933.

Aww , no leg cuffs , could we hamstring them ?

Berserker wrote: »
    What's wrong with the leg cuffs? If they don't like it then they can just stop breaking the law.

Possibly a bit harsh, might contravene eu and global human rights laws etc.

Advertisement