Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland football final 2nd September 2018 - MOD NOTE POST #1 #1187 UPDATED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

kilns wrote: »
    One of the posters is actually right in one way, in nearly all of the All Ireland finals Dublin have won recently they have not performed to their maximum but on another note they didnt have to.
    To be fair Mayo, did seem to have something over Dublin which kept them with them despite Dublin being a much superior team and then there was that All Ireland in the rain too
    But Dublin even at 70% against Tyrone should win quite easily, Tyrone just dont have enough firepower to hurt Dublin, but Harte will have them ready for it and he will have them employing as much dark arts as they can.  Watch out for  McCaffrey being taken out off the ball on numerous occasions etc etc 
    Dublin at 70% win by 5, Dublin at 100% win by 10+

It might not be much of a question but it is a question all the same.

Do Dublin/Gavin have issues with finals?
    If Harte gets within a point or two in the home straight will he have the nous to go on and win it?

Looking at how Cluxton went to pieces and the team reacted when put under pressure on their last encounter...who knows. For the game's sake I hope it does come to that 'question'. And let the better team/man win it.
    The finals Dublin were in were close but Dublin never looked like losing them and Tyrone are simply not good enough to beat Dublin, the only trick that Harte can and will play is to try and upset Dublin with his "gamesmanship" tactics
    The last match is null and void as it was played on a pitch as small as Tyrone could make it which suits their game perfectly, they cant do that with Croke Park

One of the posters is actually right in one way, in nearly all of the All Ireland finals Dublin have won recently they have not performed to their maximum but on another note they didnt have to.
    To be fair Mayo, did seem to have something over Dublin which kept them with them despite Dublin being a much superior team and then there was that All Ireland in the rain too

Do Dublin/Gavin have issues with finals?

Mayo had the second highest scoring conversion rate in an All Ireland final since people started recording those stats. The only team to ever better it? Dublin. In the SAME GAME. The 2017 Final.

Mayo are one of the most exceptional football teams we have ever seen. They just happen to have come along at the same time as this Dublin side. Dublin haven't struggled in the last few finals (save for the first one in 2017). They have actually excelled. In 2015 Kerry were blessed it was raining because it kept the hammering to 3 points. In 2016 the first final Dublin got out of jail, albeit Mayo never lead from the moment the first own goal went in at the 8th minute. In the second Dublin were the better of two very good sides. A game in which Dublin lead for all but about 10 minutes.

In the 2017 final Dublin and Mayo were both unreal. Mayo lead or were level for almost the entire game. Dublin found a way to get it done and won.

And Dublin have problems in finals how exactly?

(*Sorry for being a lurker and rare poster. Just this stuff annoys me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The finals Dublin were in were close but Dublin never looked like losing them and Tyrone are simply not good enough to beat Dublin, the only trick that Harte can and will play is to try and upset Dublin with his "gamesmanship" tactics
    The last match is null and void as it was played on a pitch as small as Tyrone could make it which suits their game perfectly, they cant do that with Croke Park

Finding it hard to accept that a team which routinely put up runaway scores all year, decided/neglected not to do it in 4 finals. :D

Tyrone and Mayo struggled with each other in 2016 and in the league in 2017, Mayo only beating them by a point in 2016 (I think) with Tyrone down to 14 men. That year they went on to the final and got within 1 point of Dublin. There isn't a lot between them quality wise.

I fully agree that on paper Dublin should win easily. Not always the way it happens though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Nightmare final for me, I’m with the ‘anyone but Dublin’ brigade, except Tyrone I detest them more, I really hope Dublin win, there I said it, God I must hate Tyrone.
    ‘Up for the match’ should be interesting, one team that says feck all and another that won’t talk to RTE, Dessie will have his work cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

patmac wrote: »
    Nightmare final for me, I’m with the ‘anyone but Dublin’ brigade, except Tyrone I detest them more, I really hope Dublin win, there I said it, God I must hate Tyrone.
    ‘Up for the match’ should be interesting, one team that says feck all and another that won’t talk to RTE, Dessie will have his work cut out.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Would agree Dublin made hard work
    Of the 2016 replay - were better team by at least 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Dublin are 1/7 at the bookies for the final.
    I don't think I've ever seen them so sure of a win in a final.
    I support Tyrone and i don't think they've got it wrong. If Tyrone manage to win it'll be their best championship achievement to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

[QUOTE=patmac;
    ‘Up for the match’ should be interesting, one team that says feck all and another that won’t talk to RTE, Dessie will have his work cut out.[/QUOTE]

But the teams or management don’t appear on the programme do they so this won’t arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Oh look another game where all the posters want the team other than Tyrone to win. Same with Donegal and Monaghan. Hopefully you guys are bringing good luck wishing against us.

A close win (as Tyrone were v wasteful yet again) vs a Monaghan team that already beat Dublin were none of our stars or subs really showed up somehow means Dublin are going to steamroll us.

All this talk of Dublin not cruising without really showing up when our stars have done very little themselves outside Cavanagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Oh look another game where all the posters want the team other than Tyrone to win. Same with Donegal and Monaghan. Hopefully you guys are bringing good luck wishing against us.

A close win (as Tyrone were v wasteful yet again) vs a Monaghan team that already beat Dublin were none of our stars or subs really showed up somehow means Dublin are going to steamroll us.

All this talk of Dublin not cruising without really showing up when our stars have done very little themselves outside Cavanagh.

I want Tyrone to win. Not everyone is against ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If ye weren't playing us I would want you to win. Relax fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Haven't known anything like it since 2011. Rossies, Galwegians, Mayo fans and even a Kildare man I work with, all want Dublin to give ye a walloping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I wouldn't want you to win if you were playing a combined England and Hades XV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

My prediction. Tyrone will play their usual game and hope to keep it close. In the last 15 mins, if its close, Tyrone will press up on Dublin kick outs and go on the attack. I really don't see it any other way unless Mickey Harte has something else up his sleeve. It looks like Omagh 2.0 and they'll hope it works. I don't think it will.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    My prediction. Tyrone will play their usual game and hope to keep it close. In the last 15 mins, if its close, Tyrone will press up on Dublin kick outs and go on the attack. I really don't see it any other way unless Mickey Harte has something else up his sleeve. It looks like Omagh 2.0 and they'll hope it works. I don't think it will.

That's a really odd prediction.

What is Tyrone's usual game? All teams that are modern and not playing an atrocious outdated style of football just shooting every ball they can find with no defence like Galway play pretty much the same.

In the last 15 minutes even if it's not close, Tyrone will also press up on Dublin kick outs and go on the attack, Dublin will do the same. I've seen more kick around from Dublin whilst up than I have Tyrone. Tyrone have been going for the jugular up or not no matter the score. Compare that to Dublin's antics the last 15 vs Donegal for instance. Keep around. But they're somehow not seen as a defensive team.

Omagh 2.0 without a dodgy rebounded goal and all those easy frees taken = a Tyrone win.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Haven't known anything like it since 2011. Rossies, Galwegians, Mayo fans and even a Kildare man I work with, all want Dublin to give ye a walloping.

Galway fans seem to support Dublin fans more than Dublin fans do so it's not surprising.

Just want to bring this up from the super 8 thread as reminder when Galway were being rated
    Originally Posted by threeball:
    Difference being that Tyrone did nothing last year to justify their billing, same as this year. Galway have lost one game all year, to the dubs, by two points. To anyone being slightly objective that's impressive.

Me: They did more so than Galway who only got to the Quarters... One team won the toughest provincial title in the island and then got farther than you in the AI losing to the champions, that's justifying your billing.

This year Galway have beaten teams that have had a loss in them for a while (Mayo) or a team gambling with their youngsters (Kerry) in a far far weaker province.

We never seem to justify our billing. Look back at us hammering Cork and Roscommon by 2x the points in this thread, they still said we weren't impressive. We'll see who gets farther YET again.

Right again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Galway fans seem to support Dublin fans more than Dublin fans do so it's not surprising.

Just want to bring this up from the super 8 thread as reminder when Galway were being rated

Right again

Aren't you great.

Now I know why I just read and don't post. I'm out for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Patww79 wrote:
    I wouldn't want you to win if you were playing a combined England and Hades XV.

Likewise, I despise Harte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

So the handicap is 6. That doesn't interest me either way.

Red card is the bet I am interested in. They're definitely be one. Empty the piggy banks if it a decent price

• Advertisement

Guys actually hating Tyrone because they avoid the dump of a channel that is the RTE.

Bit of light heated banter making fun of the death of his daughter by those always hilarious southerners. It's been years since his daughter was brutally murdered and Mexicans made fun of it! What a disgusting person for sticking to his principles.

Year after year you wanna say Harte is past it, how much it must hurt that he's in an AI final yet again, in a completely different era with completely different players.

Poor Mexicans.

Guys actually hating Tyrone because they avoid the dump of a channel that is the RTE.

Bit of light heated banter making fun of the death of his daughter by those always hilarious southerners. It's been years since his daughter was brutally murdered and Mexicans made fun of it! What a disgusting person for sticking to his principles.

Year after year you wanna say Harte is past it, how much it must hurt that he's in an AI final yet again, in a completely different era with completely different players.

Poor Mexicans.

Harte has made a bit of a fool of himself on the RTE issue in fairness.RTE have made all the running in apologising and offering to resolve it. Mickey has stubbornly dug his heels in. He needs to sit down and sort it out or if he thinks it wasn't a simple tasteless mistake but was deliberately conceived to mock his dead daughter, he needs to sue for damages.

And what it has to do with the rest of the young Tyrone team...nobody knows.
    We are all human and make mistakes, and carrying a grudge that encompasses others not invovled is not going to win you any admirers.

Harte has made a bit of a fool of himself on the RTE issue in fairness.RTE have made all the running in apologising and offering to resolve it. Mickey has stubbornly dug his heels in. He needs to sit down and sort it out or if he thinks it wasn't a simple tasteless mistake but was deliberately conceived to mock his dead daughter, he needs to sue for damages.

We are all human and make mistakes, and carrying a grudge that encompasses others not invovled is not going to win you any admirers.

Sorry he hasn't made a fool out of himself at all. And I'm sure these guys hating him for simply avoiding a tv station in this thread, would love him so much more for suing them, right?

What it has to do with the rest of the Tyrone team is it brings them together, creates principle. Creates an us vs the rest mindset, which has clearly yet again in a different era, brought results.

No RTE crap was mentioned before this final really, now they're stooping to new lows to try to lessen the Tyrone team.

Poor Mexicans.

Yes WE all made fun of it. :rolleyes:

Will you wind your neck in? You're so OTT that it's beyond a joke at this stage.

---

I agree with Harte's stance. But you need to get the complex sorted. You'll be a gibbering wreck come the 2nd.

Sorry he hasn't made a fool out of himself at all. And I'm sure these guys hating him for simply avoiding a tv station in this thread, would love him so much more for suing them, right?

What it has to do with the rest of the Tyrone team is it brings them together, creates principle. Creates an us vs the rest mindset, which has clearly yet again in a different era, brought results.

No RTE crap was mentioned before this final really, now they're stooping to new lows to try to lessen the Tyrone team.

That's exactly it. He uses the whole thing as he requires to create his siege mentality. Without little things like that I don't think he'd be able to turn 25 ordinary men into a team that gets up to such despicable things in the field.

I'll be supporting Tyrone as the Ulster team and because I know many many decent Tyrone people.

This stunt of Mickey's (it is all you could call it at this stage) is just a sad pigheaded act of stubbornness.
    It demeans his daughters memory because it is now all about Mickey and it proves that maybe Mickey's ego is out of control a bit.

RTE have done all they can. Mickey Harte still goes out everyday and prepares a team that is now in an AI final. So he can't be that much affected by it all. At this point he needs to get over it and engage.

I'll be supporting Tyrone as the Ulster team and because I know many many decent Tyrone people.

This stunt of Mickey's (it is all you could call it at this stage) is just a sad pigheaded act of stubbornness.
    It demeans his daughters memory because it is now all about Mickey and it proves that maybe Mickey's ego is out of control a bit.

No it doesn't. It serves to remember her memory and the media combined with the people who hate Tyrone on here are making a big deal of this RTE boycott. It has been barely mentioned to such an extent in years.

No one knows what Harte will do on the 2nd. How has his actions recently led to this becoming so such big press? Ask yourself.

No it doesn't. It serves to remember her memory and the media combined with the people who hate Tyrone on here are making a big deal of this RTE boycott. It has been barely mentioned to such an extent in years.

No one knows what Harte will do on the 2nd. How has his actions recently led to this becoming so such huge press? Ask yourself.

Preserves her memory? In something negative and stubborn? Jesus, how pathetic is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Patww79 wrote: »
    I don't think he'd be able to turn 25 ordinary men into a team that gets up to such despicable things in the field.

Ah jaysus would you lie down. You'd think no other team in the country ever got up to any of the "dark arts" only Tyrone.
    Despicable me arse. You've never seen any other player throw a sly dig at his opponent? Or a shoulder into the back?
    Brolly said he watched Crossmaglen train one night and 2 lads were having a full on digging match away from the ball and nobody batted an eye.
    But again it's only big bad tyrone that do anything wrong on the field.

Preserves her memory? In something negative and stubborn? Jesus, how pathetic is that?

You call it stubborn, I call it sticking to your principles.

You call not speaking to the disgrace of tv station RTE negative? I call it positive.

Simple.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ah jaysus would you lie down. You'd think no other team in the country ever got up to any of the "dark arts" only Tyrone.
    Despicable me arse. You've never seen any other player throw a sly dig at his opponent? Or a shoulder into the back?
    Brolly said he watched Crossmaglen train one night and 2 lads were having a full on digging match away from the ball and nobody batted an eye.

Nah, there's levels and they take it to new ones. It goes on to an extent in their club football but nothing like when they join up on the county panel.

mfceiling wrote: »

Pattww79 meant despicable acts as in how they turn teams ragged. I think you misread him. Deep down he's a huge Tyrone supporter, he's mentioned it in the past.

You call it stubborn, I call it sticking to your principles.

You call not speaking to the disgrace of tv station RTE negative? I call it positive.

Simple.

Mickey can do what he likes with RTE. Who cares.
    But why the Tyrone team too? That is when it gets pathetic. Those young players deserve the exposure and chance to build careers outside of football through that exposure. And I am not just talking about in RTE.

After 8 yrs it is not a 'principle' it just a grubby, stubborn, ego driven crusade.
    He deserves to be called out on it now that there are only two teams in the limelight.

Mickey can do what he likes with RTE. Who cares.
    But why the Tyrone team too? That is when it gets pathetic. Those young players deserve the exposure and chance to build careers outside of football through that exposure. And I am not just talking about in RTE.

After 8 yrs it is not a 'principle' it just a grubby, stubborn, ego driven crusade.
    He deserves to be called out on it now that there are only two teams in the limelight.

So if the Tyrone players spoke to the RTE but Mickey Harte didn't you think these people still wouldn't complain about him? Think about it...

Young players gain exposure from their play, not their interviews on the RTE. In what way does not speaking to the RTE hindrance a young footballer's career? Like they pick the best commentators etc from ex player's past interviews...

Like I said that's your opinion, I have different one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I can't stand Harte tbh

Nothing to do with his stance against RTE though

So if the Tyrone players spoke to the RTE but Mickey Harte didn't you think these people still wouldn't complain about him? Think about it...

Young players gain exposure from their play, not their interviews on the RTE. In what way does not speaking to the RTE hindrance a young footballer's career? Like they pick the best commentators etc from ex player's past interviews...

Like I said that's your opinion, I have different one.

What 'principle' does it preserve/foster exactly.

I have a principle of not bearing grudges and forgiving mistakes. Is stubbornly refusing any mediation or refusing to accept apologies a 'principle' now?

What 'principle' does it preserve/foster exactly.

I have a principle of not bearing grudges and forgiving mistakes. Is stubbornly refusing any mediation or refusing to accept apologies a 'principle' now?

Then I disagree with your principles. You clearly are heavily influenced by the Christian religion. Not everything can be forgiven, life isn't black and white like that.

He's boycotting an atrociously run tv station, it's not life or death. If that was your daughter, I wonder how you'd feel. Hypothetically on the internet I know you say you might say you would forgive them after a while, but in reality there's a large chance you wouldn't. You might even pretend to forgive them and do interviews for them after the "apologies", but deep down you'd always have the grudge. Harte is being real, and winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I really wanted someone to beat Dublin this year but would rather see them beat Tyrone. Tyrone behave despicably more often than any other county and it comes from the top down from holier than thou Mickey Harte. So here's to a competitive game but a Dublin win.

Then I disagree with your principles. You clearly are heavily influenced by the Christian religion. Not everything can be forgiven, life isn't black and white like that.

He's boycotting an atrociously run tv station, it's not life or death. If that was your daughter, I wonder how you'd feel. Hypothetically on the internet I know you say you might say you would forgive them after a while, but in reality there's a large chance you wouldn't. You might even pretend to forgive them and do interviews for them after the "apologies", but deep down you'd always have the grudge. Harte is being real, and winning.

Mickey isn't a christian?

Mistakes can and should be forgiven. If Mickey thinks it wasn't a mistake he is duty bound to seek damages and prevent this 'atrociously run TV station' from doing it again.

Of course he cannot prove that so he instead stubbornly refuses to back down and forces his ego on others.

• Advertisement

I really wanted someone to beat Dublin this year but would rather see them beat Tyrone. Tyrone behave despicably more often than any other county and it comes from the top down from holier than thou Mickey Harte. So here's to a competitive game but a Dublin win.

Another poster wants the team facing Tyrone to win. Let's count them up shall we in all these threads from supposed neutrals in all these threads?

Behave "despicably" in what way more than others? Just because Harte can compose himself on the sidelines unlike most other managers ranting and raving doesn't mean he's holier than thou, it just means he's composed and concentrated. That's why he will always be #1 and you will always try and say he's out for the count and he will prove you wrong time and time again.

Another poster wants the team facing Tyrone to win. Let's count them up shall we in all these threads from supposed neutrals in all these threads?

Behave "despicably" in what way more than others? Just because Harte can compose himself on the sidelines unlike most other managers ranting and raving doesn't mean he's holier than thou, it just means he's composed and concentrated. That's why he will always be #1 and you will always try and say he's out for the count and he will prove you wrong time and time again.

He isn't #1 for a lot of people in his OWN county who will be happy to see him gone.
    That is a sad way for a largely successful manager to go out. I am sure we will find out why when he is gone, but I suspect 'ego and stubbornness' to be high on the list.

He isn't #1 for a lot of people in his OWN county who will be happy to see him gone.
    That is a sad way for a largely successful manager to go out. I am sure we will find out why when he is gone, but I suspect 'ego and stubbornness' to be high on the list.

Sad way to see him go out? With a chance to win the AI finals? There's no bigger household name that Mickey Harte managerial wise for a reason.

As much as I like Gavin, as he is real and admitted they did well enough defensively against us (“They are a very potent attacking unit and to limit them to what we did today was reflection of some really hard work we did on the pitch"). He can been replaced easily with that panel and is overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHTKIf58CsU

tyrone need to revisit what they did in the above link to kerry.

the dubs are not unbeatable, but if tyrone don't have a radical plan for the game they will lose.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    but if tyrone don't have a radical plan for the game they will lose.

I have said that I don't rate this Dublin side at all, I have said I think we should hold our performance for them in the final before the super 8s match in that super 8s thread.

Why people think the Dubs can steamroll us is beyond me. A close score vs Monaghan (a 10x better side than Galway) who would allowed to rack up a close score to avoid goal scoring chances? Come off it.

Sad way to see him go out? With a chance to win the AI finals?

Yes, with a significant amount of Tyrone people glad to see him gone. That is really really sad.
    I live beside Tyrone, you cannot pull the wool over my eyes and pretend that all is well there. It isn't.

Keep up the belligerent, siege mentality stuff if it convinces you of something. I want to see Tyrone win it for the decent supporters and the members of the team too browbeaten to speak out and just want to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I have said that I don't rate this Dublin side at all, I have said I think we should hold our performance for them in the final before the super 8s match in that super 8s thread.

Why people think the Dubs can steamroll us is beyond me. A close score vs Monaghan (a 10x better side than Galway) who would allowed to rack up a close score to avoid goal scoring chances? Come off it.

Wait so you don't rate Gavin as he could be ”easily replaced" or Dublin "at all"?

People can support who they want for whatever reason they want.

*See me and my unreal dislike for the South-westerners

Can ya stop with the siege mentality. It's sad.

---

As for the rest, 'mon FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

People can support who they want for whatever reason they want.

*See me and my unreal dislike for the South-westerners

Can ya stop with the siege mentality. It's sad.

---

As for the rest, 'mon FFS.

Ah, leave him alone. It's comedy gold in fairness. The build up to the final would be very dull without the obligatory nutjob brigade.

Over the next 2 1/2 weeks, I look forward to fascinating discussions on The Moon landings - real or faked? Elvis - dead or alive? And the ever popular Spam - what's the bloody point?

They'll offer up more coherent logic & reasoned debate than his contributions ever will. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Sad way to see him go out? With a chance to win the AI finals? There's no bigger household name that Mickey Harte managerial wise for a reason.

As much as I like Gavin, as he is real and admitted they did well enough defensively against us (“They are a very potent attacking unit and to limit them to what we did today was reflection of some really hard work we did on the pitch"). He can been replaced easily with that panel and is overrated.

Jim Gavin easily replaced and over rated. Please tel me this is some sort of wind up.

In terms of management style and ability Jim gavin is the GOAT, take away the panel and look at our second string out we still brush away sides.

To be playing for a 4 in a row and maintain the edge and motivation they have is exceptional. I play club level with 2 county lads, they cannot sing his praises highly enough it’s a few years since I’ve been around him, but as a manager I’m not silly enough to think along your lines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement