Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland football final 2nd September 2018 - MOD NOTE POST #1 #1187 UPDATED

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I thought it was a bit inappropriate playing the song "pretty little girl from Omagh" after he had lost his daughter tragically just before that sketch was done. Yes Mickey might be a tough nut to crack but RTE have only themselves to blame here especially after what he went through. I think he is correct to do what he is doing here on that basis.

Very inappropriate song but surely it was the people involved in that sketch/show that came up with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

After 8 years it suits Harte to keep this going.
    He is already disliked by a fair proportion of his own support so a big baddie outside helps him play the victim.
    RTE have apologised again and again but Mickey has no intention of letting anyone move on.

In fairness he is doing no different to what any ordinary person would feel after losing a loved one in his case his daughter and best friend. Apologies I feel from RTE are only words and don't mean anything to Mickey. RTE I think messed up and unfortunately are paying for the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

In fairness he is doing no different to what any ordinary person would feel after losing a loved one in his case his daughter and best friend. Apologies I feel from RTE are only words and don't mean anything to Mickey. RTE I think messed up and unfortunately are paying for the consequences.

Another thread discussing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

Another thread discussing this.

Sure it wouldn't be like you to keep repeating things Francie :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I thought it was a bit inappropriate playing the song "pretty little girl from Omagh" after he had lost his daughter tragically just before that sketch was done. Yes Mickey might be a tough nut to crack but RTE have only themselves to blame here especially after what he went through. I think he is correct to do what he is doing here on that basis.

Well let him stick to his boycott, its pathetic including the whole county set up. I cant stand the man anyway and what he stands for so maybe im biased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Well let him stick to his boycott, its pathetic including the whole county set up. I cant stand the man anyway and what he stands for so maybe im biased
    I think personally everybody s heart goes out to Mickey as regards his daughters awful death. But Mickey himself comes across to me as a chip on his shoulder and not a very likable man . Almost like a bully in the way he’s handling the rte issue . If he dosent wanna talk to them fair enough but to ban all his players is way ott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

spurshero wrote: »
    I think personally everybody s heart goes out to Mickey as regards his daughters awful death. But Mickey himself comes across to me as a chip on his shoulder and not a very likable man . Almost like a bully in the way he’s handling the rte issue . If he dosent wanna talk to them fair enough but to ban all his players is way ott.

The rest of the sketch was quite funny, poking fun at Harte. The choice of song was inappropriate and unfortunate, but I would guess it was a genuine mistake and nobody made the connection.

Far worse things are said and done to many other public figures on many other radio shows by impersonators. Just listen to Liveline on a Friday sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Conor Lane to referee All-Ireland football final between Dublin and Tyrone

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0820/986336-conor-lane-to-referee-dublin-v-tyrone/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

KrustyUCC wrote: »

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0820/986336-conor-lane-to-referee-dublin-v-tyrone/

"Dublin Conor" as he known :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Nah. 2011 still would beat it.

All of Ulster outside of Derry will still be up for Throne.
    cjmc wrote: »
    Im guessing those inside Derry will also cheer Tyrone.

I think you're underestimating the bad feeling towards this Tyrone team and Mickey Harte in particular. I'm yet to talk to one person (outisde of their own supporters) who will be shouting for Tyrone in this final, and some who will be actively shouting for the Dubs. This didn't happen with the great team of the noughties, all of Ulster was firmly behind them once their own team was out.

I think you're underestimating the bad feeling towards this Tyrone team and Mickey Harte in particular. I'm yet to talk to one person (outisde of their own supporters) who will be shouting for Tyrone in this final, and some who will be actively shouting for the Dubs. This didn't happen with the great team of the noughties, all of Ulster was firmly behind them once their own team was out.

I will be shouting for them. Mickey is temporary, support for my province, is permanent. Something Mickey might forget at times or misunderstand as support for him.

I will be shouting for them. Mickey is temporary, support for my province, is permanent. Something Mickey might forget at times or misunderstand as support for him.

Bit of a surprise that you will not be supporting Dublin Francie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Thats fair enough, and I'm sure there are many like you. However, I cant bring myself to do it this time, if it was any other Ulster county, I'd be right behind them

Thats fair enough, and I'm sure there are many like you. However, I cant bring myself to do it this time, if it was any other Ulster county, I'd be right behind them

Plenty (the major majority) of decent gaels in Tyrone who deserve to see their team progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Any spares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Plenty (the major majority) of decent gaels in Tyrone who deserve to see their team progress.

Plenty yes . Majority???? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’ll be cheering for them anyway!

Yes. I know the county well and I would say the major majority are decent people.
    Every county, even my own, has it's problem citizens. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Good lord

Has David Gough got one yet ?

Was hoping for him last year
    Maybe next year ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

threein99 wrote: »
    Tyrone refusing to do any work with RTE for the coverage on the day, absolutely pathetic. I hope Dublin beat them by 20 points

I'm firmly with Tyrone and Mickey Harte on this one. It was the worst possible taste that that thing on the John Murray show was done. He's a troubled man, and I wouldn't agree with him on most things, but on this, stuff RTE i say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

When you include the non-GAA supporters in Tyrone, then yes, the majority of people in Tyrone are decent people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

blanch152 wrote: »
    The rest of the sketch was quite funny, poking fun at Harte. The choice of song was inappropriate and unfortunate, but I would guess it was a genuine mistake and nobody made the connection.

Far worse things are said and done to many other public figures on many other radio shows by impersonators. Just listen to Liveline on a Friday sometimes.

Agree 100%. There was no malice in it but sadly Mickey aint letting go. Think the first song anyone thinks of when talking about Tyrone is "Pretty little girl from Omagh".
    It was an awful tragedy for Mickey and the Harte family to lose his daughter. There was huge support for Mickey and his family at the time from every corner of Ireland and beyond. Remember the ovation he got after a match in Kerry?

However I Would also agree he is coming across as a bitter man in this. A memory most of us have is the huge support Ulster teams brought to Croke park when all Ulster got behind their province but there is a lot of Ulster supporting Dublin next week. I would have always liked Tyrone teams and especially the many class players they had over the years. I would argue some of the most skillful players to play the game but not really now AS I feel there is a negative vibe from them.

Mind you if Tyrone get their tactics right next Sunday a lot will be forgotten. He is a master tactician and I have no doubt he will have something to throw into the mix next Sunday not least of all reminding his players of last year and Dublin winning in Omagh.

It will be no cakewalk people speak of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

All of Ulster outside of Derry will still be up for Throne.

No we won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who will RTE have commentating on the Final?
    I hope Marty is a million miles away from it. He ruined the hurling final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hopefully Darragh Maloney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

All of Ulster outside of Derry, Cavan, Fermanagh, Down, Antrim, Donegal, Armagh and Monaghan will still be up for Throne.
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    No we won't.

Fixed my post. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Normally I don't mind a terrible commentating performance after a match is over but Jesus I keep shuddering at how bad Marty was. It was pathetic.

Hopefully Darragh does it but mind you I'll be at it so it's moot. I'll likely have Marty on Radio One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Normally I don't mind a terrible commentating performance after a match is over but Jesus I keep shuddering at how bad Marty was. It was pathetic.

Hopefully Darragh does it but mind you I'll be at it so it's moot. I'll likely have Marty on Radio One.

When he launched in to a verse of the cranberries ‘linger’ near the end I actually was embarrassed for him. Jesus it was absolute cringe tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Conor Lane got the nod.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Any chance they can both lose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Any chance they can both lose?

Are Donaghmore running a bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Not sure what Lane is like as a ref to be honest havent followed him that much but its important he stamps down on Tyrones disruption/spoiling tactics early on, so that we may have a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mattser

He's pathetic, and Carthy on the radio is as bad.

kilns wrote: »
    Not sure what Lane is like as a ref to be honest havent followed him that much but its important he stamps down on Tyrones disruption/spoiling tactics early on, so that we may have a good game

He read Dublin Donegal. Blew alot up that I'd of expected to be allowed play. Think he's a cork man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Going myself but I like to record it and watch it the next day to see what incident I missed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Are Donaghmore running a bus?

Probably, the heathens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

All of Ulster outside of Derry, Cavan, Fermanagh, Down, Antrim, Donegal, Armagh and Monaghan will still be up for Throne.

Game of Throne

"What a fantastic day for the Gaels of Dublin; Bono, Ryan Tubridy, Leo Varadkar, Panty Bliss, John Rocca, the Kinahins … I could go on forever with my meaningless waffle."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bonniedog wrote: »
    "What a fantastic day for the Gaels of Dublin; Bono, Ryan Tubridy, Leo Varadkar, Panty Bliss, John Rocca, the Kinahins … I could go on forever with my meaningless waffle."

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same.....

(And I don't mean the lovely gunas Panty is fond of wearing. ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ProudDUB wrote: »
    One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same.....

(And I don't mean the lovely gunas Panty is fond of wearing. ;))

Your spot on, Panty is from Mayo.

Your spot on, Panty is from Mayo.

Confusing post alright from Bonnie - John Rocca is a British record producer sometimes confused with John Rocha the Hong Kong born fashion designer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mattser wrote: »
    He's pathetic, and Carthy on the radio is as bad.

I dont mind Carthy as much, he comes across as far less contrived if that makes any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pauric Lodge is pretty decent on the wireless.

kilns wrote: »

Ah here. Tyrone's reputation obviously goes without saying, but Dublin are as capable of using the same tactics and they got away with blatant black card offences in the Galway match. They're a great football team, but as dirty as the worst of them.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ah here. Tyrone's reputation obviously goes without saying, but Dublin are as capable of using the same tactics and they got away with blatant black card offences in the Galway match. They're a great football team, but as dirty as the worst of them.

I think we have certain players who are there for that job. But to say the team is a dirty team is wrong. We surely aren't.

• Advertisement

I think we have certain players who are there for that job. But to say the team is a dirty team is wrong. We surely aren't.

We ( I'm a Dublin person myself) really are. It's partly due to them being so good that they get away with it, but they are as bad. Maybe not in terms of the trying to injure etc, but as a whole they tactically foul

Weepsie wrote: »
    We ( I'm a Dublin person myself) really are. It's partly due to them being so good that they get away with it, but they are as bad. Maybe not in terms of the trying to injure etc, but as a whole they tactically foul

Every county tactically fouls. That is limited to 3 4 players MD being one, Philly being 2 with another 2 flowing in that fashion.

Every county tactically fouls. That is limited to 3 4 players MD being one, Philly being 2 with another 2 flowing in that fashion.

We all seen what they were prepared to do to get over the line v mayo. Dublin are as dirty as anyone when it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

We all seen what they were prepared to do to get over the line v mayo. Dublin are as dirty as anyone when it suits them.

Have yet to see them throw gps units at opposing players however. Still a bit of catching up to do on other teams.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Have yet to see them throw gps units at opposing players however. Still a bit of catching up to do on other teams.

Over exaggerating won't help...'throwing a gps in the line of a players sight' would be more the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement