Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know how to avoid a FTTH installation fee?

Options
  • 12-08-2018 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

hello, has anyone got any ideas of trying the get free or low cost installation fee for FTTH installation please. We had an eir rep call to the door and quoted 100euro start off just for installation fee and even then this is a reduction from their normal installation fee for a limited time only.

love the thought of getting the FTTH installed and it has just come into our area (and apparently just gone live) but not loving the thought of paying out that for the installation its putting me off

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Find an ISP that doesn't charge for installation. Whereabouts in Sligo are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Find an ISP that doesn't charge for installation. Whereabouts in Sligo are you?

south county sligo - anyone you know/recommend who wouldnt charge for installation?

like a 100quid would be tight - even like if a company charged 49 per month including installation rather than 39 per month plus 100 installation would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn’t FTTH a lot more expensive than €49pm at full price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Isn’t FTTH a lot more expensive than €49pm at full price?

eir seem to be currently offering 150Mb plus off-peak calls for €46 per month for 12 months + €100 installation fee. That package then rises to €66 p/m after 12 months.

The cheapest non introductory offer from eir is standalone 150Mb at €58.99 p/m.

the eir rep gave us a leaflet up to 150mbps - 39.99 PM for 12 months then 59.99 - but its a 12 month contract , so I am presuming after the 12 months you can just change providers. But they want 100eur up front for installation (normal price 250eur)
    1gb add 29.99 per month extra

• Advertisement

the eir rep gave us a leaflet up to 150mbps - 39.99 PM for 12 months then 59.99 - but its a 12 month contract , so I am presuming after the 12 months you can just change providers. But they want 100eur up front for installation (normal price 250eur)

Is that for standalone broadband? As in no calls included in the price.

says to us "guaranteed 150mbps" so i said well that will be 'up to' wouldnt it? and he said no, guaranteed - you dont loose any speed with fibre .. and I said well it will still have contention and be shared with others .. but he didnt seem to think so - but all these FTTH would be waht they call GPON wouldnt they? - it would still share , it wouldnt be exclusive to each house would it? - otherwise it would cost much more if it was exclusive fibre and would have to be active

Is that for standalone broadband? As in no calls included in the price.

off peak Landline calls - according to leaflet and free eir sport pack

says to us "guaranteed 150mbps" so i said well that will be 'up to' wouldnt it? and he said no, guaranteed - you dont loose any speed with fibre .. and I said well it will still have contention and be shared with others .. but he didnt seem to think so - but all these FTTH would be waht they call GPON wouldnt they? - it would still share , it wouldnt be exclusive to each house would it? - otherwise it would cost much more if it was exclusive fibre and would have to be active

It is GPON and it is shared but not many of us have experienced contention. I get 285 on a 300Mb connection all day every day.

To answer your original question Westnet have no installation fee.

www.westnet.ie

It is GPON and it is shared but not many of us have experienced contention. I get 285 on a 300Mb connection all day every day.

To answer your original question Westnet have no installation fee.

www.westnet.ie

thanks - i'll check em out

• Advertisement

just had a quick look on westnet a bit skeptical

I read:

"A growing number of areas in County Mayo now have Fibre Infrastructure running to their front doors. With guaranteed speeds of 150Mb/s you can browse online, stream HD videos or download music with no delays. This service offers:"

we are in County Sligo - not mayo .. and we dont have the fibre running to our front door - we have the Fibre on wooden telephone pole opposite our house and the cable would have to be installed from the pole, through a duct under the road , then in a duct in our front garden, then a hole drilled in the wall then terminated into and a ONT fitted - this is where I would think an installation charge would come in effect...

"– No Connection Fee: We don’t charge you a connection fee"

I read that as the connection fee and installation fee being 2 completely different things

.. but I will contact them tomorrow and see what they say - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Tread very carefully with eir reps...

Just looking at eir website, the cheapest fibre is 45.99 for 150Mb

39.99 is probably for FTTC, which is up to 100Mb and that's dependent on proximity to the cabinet. They call it eir fibre but the last stretch is via copper.

Maybe the rep has authority to give better offers than the website, but that might not translate correctly on the eir billing system and the rep will be long gone.

just had a quick look on westnet a bit skeptical

I read:

"A growing number of areas in County Mayo now have Fibre Infrastructure running to their front doors. With guaranteed speeds of 150Mb/s you can browse online, stream HD videos or download music with no delays. This service offers:"

we are in County Sligo - not mayo .. and we dont have the fibre running to our front door - we have the Fibre on wooden telephone pole opposite our house and the cable would have to be installed from the pole, through a duct under the road , then in a duct in our front garden, then a hole drilled in the wall then terminated into and a ONT fitted - this is where I would think an installation charge would come in effect...

I read that as the connection fee and installation fee being 2 completely different things

.. but I will contact them tomorrow and see what they say - thanks.

They also have coverage in parts of Sligo, Galway and Roscommon. They have a rep who posts here, Paul. Here is a post from last week detailing the costs (it is the same product they are referring to btw):

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107731548

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Andy, I'll reply to your PM shortly.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

...we dont have the fibre running to our front door...
    You have to make allowances for what can be succinctly communicated on a web page. It's a figure of speech, intended to contrast the idea of genuine fibre to the home with the usual marketing rubbish of describing copper wires as "fibre".

We're working hard to build a reputation as a company that doesn't lie to people in order to win business. That sometimes costs us sales, but we like to think that it will pay dividends in the long run.

If we were to loudly advertise "no connection fee" but then turn around and sneakily charge an "installation fee" instead, that reputation for honesty and transparency would be in tatters.

It's completely understandable that you would read an ISP's website with a skeptical eye, but we have nothing to gain from tricking you into doing business with us. As I've made clear on this forum, if you switch from our FTTH service to another provider after a year, we'll lose money on you. It just doesn't make sense for us to kick off our relationship with you on the basis of dishonest marketing.

You have to make allowances for what can be succinctly communicated on a web page. It's a figure of speech, intended to contrast the idea of genuine fibre to the home with the usual marketing rubbish of describing copper wires as "fibre".

We're working hard to build a reputation as a company that doesn't lie to people in order to win business. That sometimes costs us sales, but we like to think that it will pay dividends in the long run.

If we were to loudly advertise "no connection fee" but then turn around and sneakily charge an "installation fee" instead, that reputation for honesty and transparency would be in tatters.

It's completely understandable that you would read an ISP's website with a skeptical eye, but we have nothing to gain from tricking you into doing business with us. As I've made clear on this forum, if you switch from our FTTH service to another provider after a year, we'll lose money on you. It just doesn't make sense for us to kick off our relationship with you on the basis of dishonest marketing.

Thanks Paul you sound and your company sounds like a sound company (sorry for all the overuse of sound word lol) yeah sorry for knee jerk reaction, that's due to signing up in the past with rogue companies that like to slip in the odd conditions and extra charges, and then when a decent and honest firm comes along which your one sounds like it makes you cautious but I can see that your one of the sound guys

Advertisement