Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Sunday No Longer Sacred?

• 12-08-2018 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Just now, Sunday evening, my neighbour has been out back mowing his lawn while his radio, which he must have while he's mowing, blares into my room. Then I hear water, like from a hosepipe. Right now, he's power-washing his patio.

Seems like he's not bothered that it's Sunday, where it's normally very quiet around here or the fact that there's a hosepipe ban still in operation here.

What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I'd say you're a joy to live beside

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why aren't you in church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

acai berry wrote: »
    What to do?

First things first.

Is his wife hot?

If so - her.

He'll be too busy mowing grass and power washing patios to hear ya going at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sunday has stopped having any special merit to most people for many years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Simple, move to Connaught. Always raining, so no-one can cut their grass or wash patios.

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Sunday stopped having any special merit to most people for many years now.

Just as long as it stays special enough for double pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

While you’re chilled out that man has got a neatly trimmed lawn and a nice clean patio.

Rule 1 - Money never sleeps, baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Jeez! He's starting off on the front now, mowing the lawn! I must admit, I have not heard any of my neighbours, except him, doing that type of work on a Sunday. I certainly, out of consideration for my neighbours, would not mow my lawn on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Jeez! He's starting off on the front now, mowing the lawn! I must admit, I have not heard any of my neighbours, except him, doing that type of work on a Sunday. I certainly, out of consideration for my neighbours, would not mow my lawn on a Sunday.

Construct a scathing missive to present to the chairperson of the collective management group, lean back in the saddle and from that lofty position take immense satisfaction from the resulting inevitable cowering of your neighbour.

If you don't have a management group, then mind your own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

If you feel so strongly about it then why not write a letter of protest to An Taoiseach Jack Lynch, or even the president Éamon de Valera. Personally I think you're still sour because England won the World Cup two years ago.
    I didn't see it myself as we can't afford a television.
    I wonder what Ireland will be like in fifty years time......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I often get my outside jobs done on a Sunday. I work Monday to Thurs long shifts and evening/night shifts. My neighbours often mow their lawn in the morning when I'm in bed after a night shift.
    I don't care they are perfectly entitled to. I don't expect them to consider my schedule when they need to get jobs done and likewise I just mow the lawn or powerwash the drive when I want.
    It's hardly anti social behaviour and why would Sunday be any different to any other day??

Years ago, a friend of mine moved into a house in Blanchardstown. At the time, he was travelling up and down the country and only had Sunday free. Soon as he took out his mower to mow his lawn, a neighbour approached and told him in no uncertain terms tha that was "againt the rules" in that neighbourhood. He's no longer living there. He moved down to the country.

In our brave new progressive world, every day is now spend day. And when you turn on the tv or radio on a Sunday the consumerist brainwashing will be in full flow far, far more intensely and in far more places than any religion has ever been in my lifetime anyway.

Where were we? Oh, yes, the evils of all that religious brainwashing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

1) Radio on while mowing the lawn? - Not the brightest spark.
    2) Radio so loud outdoors that it's bugging the neighbours. - Bit of a knob.
    3) Power washing during hosepipe ban. - Knob status confirmed.

Solution - burn down his house, hosepipe ban should ensure it burns right through.

What's this Sunday sacred lark?
    Am I not allowed put the bins out? I'll put them back in if so.
    I'll be a bit of a job unwashing the car though. . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Years ago, a friend of mine moved into a house in Blanchardstown. At the time, he was travelling up and down the country and only had Sunday free. Soon as he took out his mower to mow his lawn, a neighbour approached and told him in no uncertain terms tha that was "againt the rules" in that neighbourhood. He's no longer living there. He moved down to the country.

Is Blanch not in the country?

bertsmom wrote: »
    I often get my outside jobs done on a Sunday. I work Monday to Thurs long shifts and evening/night shifts. My neighbours often mow their lawn in the morning when I'm in bed after a night shift.
    I don't care they are perfectly entitled to. I don't expect them to consider my schedule when they need to get jobs done and likewise I just mow the lawn or powerwash the drive when I want.
    It's hardly anti social behaviour and why would Sunday be any different to any other day??

That's the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

What to do?
    Move to Germany OP It's illegal to cut the grass on a Sunday or Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just now, Sunday evening, my neighbour has been out back mowing his lawn while his radio, which he must have while he's mowing, blares into my room. Then I hear water, like from a hosepipe. Right now, he's power-washing his patio.

Seems like he's not bothered that it's Sunday, where it's normally very quiet around here or the fact that there's a hosepipe ban still in operation here.

What to do?

Mind your own business I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

What's so special about Sunday? Work has to done whatever name the weekday has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

No is the answer OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I would say say it’s no longer sacred any more than it is scared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH DAY.

Have a **** first thing in the morning. God understands that you need to take care of business.

A fry up to replace the vitamins. Watch some sports. Even play some sports.

Have another **** to celebrate and then order a chinese.

theteal wrote: »
    1) Radio on while mowing the lawn? - Not the brightest spark.
    2) Radio so loud outdoors that it's bugging the neighbours. - Bit of a knob.
    3) Power washing during hosepipe ban. - Knob status confirmed

Solution - burn down his house, hosepipe ban should ensure it burns right through.

What's this Sunday sacred lark?
    Am I not allowed put the bins out? I'll put them back in if so.
    I'll be a bit of a job unwashing the car though. . . .

LOL! You're on my wavelength, theteal. Not the first time I've had these thoughts!

About burnng down the house - I hadn't thought of that. ;):D

I do put my bins out on Sunday, but that doesn't disturb anybody.

I'm sure you're not washing your car ATM, theteal, due to the hosepipe ban. ;) :P Unless you're bringing out a basin of water to do it. :pac:

Again, I don't think washing a car would be a problem to neighbours.

It's the level of noise, Neighbour is producing, that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Probably the type that puts up Christmas Lights all over the house and makes it like a working class estate. Write a stern letter to the Residents Association

But you know what at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Star Bingo wrote: »
    But you know what at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Something about a Sunday that makes the body feel alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

As Alan Partridge says " Sunday Bloody Sunday" Washing the car etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Thank you for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If it is not illegal then what is the problem???

Not everybody has time to do these chores on other days of the week and it is much better that the grass is cut and the patio washed than to live beside someone who lets everything go.

Shops are open 7 days a week. Cinemas, pubs, restaurants etc are all open 7 days a week. You can't have it both ways and expect people to not do things just because SOME people chant psalms once a week to a Deity in the Sky.

We don't live in a theocracy although people tried hard to turn this republic into one for the first 80 yrs of its existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

People don't hold Sunday sacred any more, hardly any of them worship the sun god, it's named Sun Day for a reason!

Scrap the cap!

doolox wrote: »
    If it is not illegal then what is the problem???

Not everybody has time to do these chores on other days of the week and it is much better that the grass is cut and the patio washed than to live beside someone who lets everything go.

Shops are open 7 days a week. Cinemas, pubs, restaurants etc are all open 7 days a week. You can't have it both ways and expect people to not do things just because SOME people chant psalms once a week to a Deity in the Sky.

We don't live in a theocracy although people tried hard to turn this republic into one for the first 80 yrs of its existence.

Funny, I live across the road from a row of shops and they're all closed on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Funny, I live across the road from a row of shops and they're all closed on Sunday.

That's interesting

Seriously though if you think that lawnmower is bad well my neighbour likes to break out the chainsaw after dark for a wee bit of pruning. He’s from mayo, but I don’t see why that should be a factor

and I don’t see why some light gardening should require industrial strength tools....

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Seriously though if you think that lawnmower is bad well my neighbour likes to break out the chainsaw after dark for a wee bit of pruning. He’s from mayo, but I don’t see why that should be a factor

and I don’t see why some light gardening should require industrial strength tools....

Gawd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Sunday is the same as every other day for most people now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

LOL! You're on my wavelength, theteal. Not the first time I've had these thoughts!

About burnng down the house - I hadn't thought of that. ;):D

I do put my bins out on Sunday, but that doesn't disturb anybody.

I'm sure you're not washing your car ATM, theteal, due to the hosepipe ban. ;) :P Unless you're bringing out a basin of water to do it. :pac:

Again, I don't think washing a car would be a problem to neighbours.

It's the level of noise, Neighbour is producing, that's the problem.

No hosepipe ban here, that I know of at least but it matters not as the heavy rain of last week has the water butt quite full - very handy for washing the car :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

7.30 in the evening! Now if it was 7.30 in the morning, you would have something to moan about.

Sunday is the same as every other day for most people now!

Sunday is meant to be a day of rest. If some, not the majority, have to work on Sundays, no doubt they will have another free day during the week, which they can consider as a rest day - or whatever - as they please.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    7.30 in the evening! Now if it was 7.30 in the morning, you would have something to moan about.

I think I'd have good reason to call the Guards if it was 7.30 in the morning - Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Most verily he should study his bible

Most verily he should study his bible

He goes to Mass and all, which I don't. LOL! :pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

In Germany on Sundays, most shops are closed and people aren't allowed to mow the lawn etc. There's a lovely calmness at weekends. Of course, Germany is a sensible Country which values the well being of its citizens. Ireland is obsessed with money and wouldn't dare close any shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Peatys wrote:
    Simple, move to Connaught. Always raining, so no-one can cut their grass or wash patios.

Where's Connaught?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Where's Connaught?

Either that or Hell! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

acai berry wrote:
    I think I'd have good reason to call the Guards if it was 7.30 in the morning - Sunday.

Nope! They'd laugh at you, like the rest of us are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Are you in Northern Ireland? I remember it was frowned upon there to do anything of a Sunday.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Are you in Northern Ireland? I remember it was frowned upon there to do anything of a Sunday.

Not in N.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Why do you think this sort of thing shouldn't be done on a Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Not in N.I.

Then not much can you do. No presbo fist here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement