Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Sunday No Longer Sacred?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

acai berry wrote: »
    Years ago, a friend of mine moved into a house in Blanchardstown. At the time, he was travelling up and down the country and only had Sunday free. Soon as he took out his mower to mow his lawn, a neighbour approached and told him in no uncertain terms tha that was "againt the rules" in that neighbourhood. He's no longer living there. He moved down to the country.

If I was in that scenario it would be the neighbour moving to the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

erica74 wrote: »
    Why do you think this sort of thing shouldn't be done on a Sunday?

Just going by what seems to go down with all of my surrounding neighbours. There's a definite quieting down in the whole area on a Sunday, regarding outside work. The only thing you're likely to hear is family visiting, but that's a lot different to the noise of lawn-mowers and power washers. As I mentioned, I wouldn't dare mow my lawn on a Sunday, where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

J
    I certainly, out of consideration for my neighbours, would not mow my lawn on a Sunday.

But with absolutely no consideration for us here in AH, you come here and have a right 'mown' to us......

Just looking at some comments here, intimating that Sunday is no different to any other day, I beg to differ. Just look at how many more people are out walking along the seafront in places like DunLaoghaire, Salthill, North Strand etc. The increase in numbers on a Sunday, ought to say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Just looking at some comments here, intimating that Sunday is no different to any other day, I beg to differ. Just look at how many more people are out walking along the seafront in places like DunLaoghaire, Salthill, North Strand etc. The increase in numbers on a Sunday, ought to say something.

Yeah, it says people have more free time on a Sunday to do what they enjoy, some enjoy walking, some enjoy gardening.

erica74 wrote: »
    Yeah, it says people have more free time on a Sunday to do what they enjoy, some enjoy walking, some enjoy gardening.

So Sunday really is different - for some people. :p I enjoy gardening on Sunday,
    but not mowing my lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Where's Connaught?

Far side of the Shannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Where's Connaught?

Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, and Leitrim if you're not English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

acai berry wrote:

Same as Saturday so

• Advertisement

Same as Saturday so
    Overall, I'm sure you'll agree, Saturday and Sunday are not really the same. Saturday is one day where you'll all sorts of lawn-mowing etc, because people want to make sure it's done before Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So Sunday really is different - for some people. :p I enjoy gardening on Sunday,
    but not mowing my lawn.

Mowing the lawn is gardening. I cut the grass when it's not raining and it needs to be cut. I couldn't care less what day of the week it is.
    Overall, I'm sure you'll agree, Saturday and Sunday are not really the same. Saturday is one day where you'll all sorts of lawn-mowing etc, because people want to make sure it's done before Sunday.

I don't know anyone who thinks like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sunday is meant to be a day of rest.

I work in an office sitting on my a***e.

If I had a lawn, then I'd regard physical activity like mowing it as a type of rest and recreation, because it'd be so different to what I do when I'm at work. (Provided I didn't have one of those posturing ride-on mower things).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The poor old divil is probably busting his sack all week working some sh1thole job just to keep that house payed for.he comes home then the weekend and the wife is at him to do the list of jobs around the house.
    Poor bastid would probably love to go to mass and have an hour nap down the back of the church but no the wife wants the grass cut and the patio washed.and all the while misses buchet next door giving out about him.would you prefer if he got a few ponies and let them in to eat knee high grass and go scrapping cars for parts on the patio with oil running out on the road.
    Poor fukr can't win with the boss b1tching 5 days a week,the wife making lists to do the weekend and misses buchet looking out the window then. And the week starts over again for him tomorrow.

The poor old divil is probably busting his sack all week working some sh1thole job just to keep that house payed for.he comes home then the weekend and the wife is at him to do the list of jobs around the house.
    Poor bastid would probably love to go to mass and have an hour nap down the back of the church but no the wife wants the grass cut and the patio washed.and all the while misses buchet next door giving out about him.would you prefer if he got a few ponies and let them in to eat knee high grass and go scrapping cars for parts on the patio with oil running out on the road.
    Poor fukr can't win with the boss b1tching 5 days a week,the wife making lists to do the weekend and misses buchet looking out the window then. And the week starts over again for him tomorrow.

You have it all wrong. For a start, there's no missus. He does it because that's what he wants to do. If you're referring to me as misses buchet, less would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You have it all wrong. For a start, there's no missus. He does it because that's what he wants to do. If you're referring to me as misses buchet, less would do.

Weirdest thread ever.goodbye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

In Germany on Sundays, most shops are closed and people aren't allowed to mow the lawn etc. There's a lovely calmness at weekends. Of course, Germany is a sensible Country which values the well being of its citizens. Ireland is obsessed with money and wouldn't dare close any shops.

Agree. I was there a few years back and was shocked that everywhere besides the odd cafe or bar were closed. To be honest I loved it, everyone out and about enjoying the chilled atmosphere.

You see the worst of it here at Christmas, extended opening hours getting longer and longer, retail staff wrecked and stressed with no time to enjoy the festivities.

It's horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sunday's in Ireland stopped being scared when they took Glenroe off the TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

If you feel so strongly about it then why not write a letter of protest to An Taoiseach Jack Lynch, or even the president Éamon de Valera. Personally I think you're still sour because England won the World Cup two years ago.
    I didn't see it myself as we can't afford a television.
    I wonder what Ireland will be like in fifty years time......

Sometimes I think we would have been better off without television, but sure they call it progress

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Agree. I was there a few years back and was shocked that everywhere besides the odd cafe or bar were closed. To be honest I loved it, everyone out and about enjoying the chilled atmosphere.

You see the worst of it here at Christmas, extended opening hours getting longer and longer, retail staff wrecked and stressed with no time to enjoy the festivities.

It's horrible.
    Takes some getting used to and makes Saturdays a bit more stressed but overall it is more pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

acai berry wrote:

Saturday and Sunday are not the same. They are different days of the week. Saturday is not a day where I will do all sorts of mowing because I want it done before Sunday. I couldn't give a damn what day of the week it is done once its dry and im not rushing to get to work.
    Why so you think cutting the grass on a Sunday is such an issue?

• Advertisement

bertsmom wrote: »
    Saturday and Sunday are not the same. They are different days of the week. Saturday is not a day where I will do all sorts of mowing because I want it done before Sunday. I couldn't give a damn what day of the week it is done once its dry and im not rushing to get to work.
    Why so you think cutting the grass on a Sunday is such an issue?

It's an issue where I live because everything goes so quiet, where my neighbours are concerned, and I don't want to disturb the peace by starting up my lawn-mower.

acai berry wrote:
    It's an issue where I live because everything goes so quiet, where my neighbours are concerned, and I don't want to disturb the peace by starting up my lawn-mower.

If Wednesday happened to be quiet would you also not want to disturb the peace? I just don't get it. To me disturbing the peace is roaring abuse at your neighbour or playing music very loud after 11pm or midnight.
    To me mowing the lawn is just a chore I couldn't care less what day of the week my neighbours choose to do theirs and likewise wouldn't really give them a thought when I'm doing mine.
    You obviously put a LOT of thought into these things. (Not meant as a criticism)

It's just how I feel.

acai berry wrote:
    It's just how I feel.

And that's cool. I'd say you are a very considerate neighbour and that's always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 w.b. yokes

No it isn’t and the replies will tell you why. When I’m in power Sundays will be ****in rest days whether you like it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Did you wake up Sunday morning with no way to hold your head that didn't hurt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

toptom wrote: »
    Sometimes I think we would have been better off without television, but sure they call it progress

having ditched tv decades ago, life is better without it,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Graces7 wrote:
    having ditched tv decades ago, life is better without it,,,,

A TV can be a very useful tool in many ways if used in a certain way, but of course a lot of broadcast content is pure muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't know what I'd do without television, my minimum is about 80 hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Damn mechanical age. I have a neighbour who will not knowingly allow there to be a moment of silence between 6 am and midnight 7 days a week. He moves in what appears to be a strict rotation betwen a strimmer, a chain saw, a JCB, a quad and a ride on mower. I put it down to the poor fella having a small mickey. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

What you need to do op is record silence and put some headphones on .

https://youtu.be/g4mHPeMGTJM

Here us a YouTube video of 10 hours silence .

That should do trick. Have a go and let me know how you get on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

In Germany on Sundays, most shops are closed and people aren't allowed to mow the lawn etc. There's a lovely calmness at weekends. Of course, Germany is a sensible Country which values the well being of its citizens. Ireland is obsessed with money and wouldn't dare close any shops.

It is one of the reasons I no longer live in Germany.
    The fact that every Sunday feels like there's about to be a Zombie attack any moment.... I grew up there, but Sundays in Germany still creep me out.

I happened to look back at the start of this thread and noticed this is the first reply it received.
    Faith+1 wrote: »
    I'd say you're a joy to live beside

Thanked by 58.
    Here is the list, saving you the trouble of clicking back
    amdublin, bertsmom, Big Nasty, bluewolf, Brian?, BRYAN Is Ainm Dom, challengemaster, colm_mcm, Cynortas, DChancer, Doctors room ghost, dotsman, Dunjam, Eggs For Dinner, erica74, FanadMan, Fighting Tao, For Forks Sake, gimli2112, GingerLily, gmisk, godtabh, GoneHome, hairyslug, Hotblack Desiato, I'm a student nurse, AMA, irishguitarlad, Jimmy Bottlehead, jrmb, khaldrogo, Kivaro, MissTheDome, Mrs OBumble, neilthefunkeone, ohnonotgmail, Omackeral, ongarite, Pac1Man, pg633, rabwaygal, rainbowtrout, Realt Dearg Sec, Reati, Rulmeq, Shaunoc, Shenshen, Squeeonline, steddyeddy, Sugar Free, sugarman, SusieBlue, the_pen_turner, the_syco, twignme, Vowel Movement, wexie, Wiggles88, Wynner05

Thankfully, I don't recognise many of these names and certainly those few members of Boards, who I hold in high esteem, are noticeable by their absence.

Just thinking about this, there seems to be one attribute you all seem to have in common - you lack empathy i.e. the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

I put up that thread, which represents a real life situation in which I found myself last evening - Sunday, at 7.30 p.m.

None of you seem to have the ability to relate to that. That's fine. Just carry on on your merry ways. What you are not aware of you won't miss.

Shenshen wrote: »
    It is one of the reasons I no longer live in Germany.
    The fact that every Sunday feels like there's about to be a Zombie attack any moment.... I grew up there, but Sundays in Germany still creep me out.

sounds like a very nice way to have your society, people need a break from the working world, to reconnect to themselves, their loved ones and their environment, a no working sunday sounds like a good idea to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I happened to look back at the start of this thread and noticed this is the first reply it received.

Thanked by 46.
    Here is the list, saving you the trouble of clicking back

Thankfully, I don't recognise many of these names and certainly those few members of Boards, who I hold in high esteem, are noticeable by their absence.

Just thinking about this, there seems to be one attribute you all seem to have in common - you lack empathy i.e. the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

I put up that thread, which represents a real life situation in which I found myself last evening - Sunday, at 7.30 p.m.

None of you seem to have the ability to relate to that. That's fine. Just carry on on your merry ways. What you are not aware of you won't miss.
    Cutting grass at that time would be fairly normal I would think, it wouldnt matter a toss to me or I would think most people what day of the week it is being done.
    There is a hose pipe ban, if you want to report him to the council you should.
    If he is playing his radio too loud knock into him and ask him to turn it off/down.

You dont seem to like the responses you have got here which is fine but you posted on a public forum so you are kind of inviting opinions.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    sounds like a very nice way to have your society, people need a break from the working world, to reconnect to themselves, their loved ones and their environment, a no working sunday sounds like a good idea to me

My aunt used to work in A&E - she dreaded Sundays, in particular if they were preceded or followed directly by another public holiday.
    The cases of domestic violence would be noticeably increased each week, and went through the roof if there were 2 or more days of enforced "peacefulness".

Let people enjoy themselves. Don't force them to do something they hate, just because you enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I love people who campaign tirelessly for a more secular society, cheering every erosion of religious influence, but then complain that Sunday is becoming just like every other day.

My aunt used to work in A&E - she dreaded Sundays, in particular if they were preceded or followed directly by another public holiday.
    The cases of domestic violence would be noticeably increased each week, and went through the roof if there were 2 or more days of enforced "peacefulness".

Let people enjoy themselves. Don't force them to do something they hate, just because you enjoy it.

fair comments, theres probably no one hit wonder here, but the fact our working lives have now effectively become 24/7 is more than likely doing more harm to society than good. you d be surprised the amount of people that are more or less forced to work under certain condition's and in fact hate their working conditions by the acceptance of this 24/7 working society.

fair comments, theres probably no one hit wonder here, but the fact our working lives have now effectively become 24/7 is more than likely doing more harm to society than good. you d be surprised the amount of people that are more or less forced to work under certain condition's and in fact hate their working conditions by the acceptance of this 24/7 working society.

I'm not entirely sure I share this outlook.
    My great-grandparents were farmers - their work was always 24/7. The animals needed to be cared for, Sunday or no. The hay needed to be brought in when it looked like rain, not just 9 to 5 Monday to Friday.
    The other side of it is, though, that while they'd be working flat-out during the summer months, there'd be little enough to do during winter, for example. There just was no separation of work and life, not in the way we take for granted now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sure but why does everyone have to do it at the same time?

I'm not entirely sure I share this outlook.
    My great-grandparents were farmers - their work was always 24/7. The animals needed to be cared for, Sunday or no. The hay needed to be brought in when it looked like rain, not just 9 to 5 Monday to Friday.
    The other side of it is, though, that while they'd be working flat-out during the summer months, there'd be little enough to do during winter, for example. There just was no separation of work and life, not in the way we take for granted now.

again, more good points, unfortunately such sectors have always been, and probably will always will be 24/7, but i do believe the vast majority of sectors are effectively now 24/7. this is actually very dangerous for our societies. humans are in fact not production machines, but our thinking, particularly economically, believe we are. we re actually complex emotional beings that require a multitude of needs to be met on a regular basis, in order for us to be happy and well. many peoples needs are not being met due to our current reality. this shows itself in complex human issues such as mental health issues etc.

Sure but why does everyone have to do it at the same time?

you d be surprised of the amount of people that have little working options at times, effectively being force to take whatever working conditions are available to them at that time. life isnt black or white in this regard

But that is more likely due to increased alcohol rather than enforced peacefulness. I don't know, don't feel strongly either way, but I reckon the coming time when Christmas Day will look just like any other shopping day will signify a loss of something in our culture, even if it is just a moment, a day, to pause in some kind of stillness, however briefly, to connect to something deeper in our psyches. To connect with our families, our neighbourhoods, our wider natural environment. Sunday in a minor way still has something of that function. I know the whole connection to the Biblical day of rest chills atheists to the bone, but above and beyond such common reflexes there is something to be said for times out of time.

Malayalam wrote: »
    But that is more likely due to increased alcohol rather than enforced peacefulness. I don't know, don't feel strongly either way, but I reckon the coming time when Christmas Day will look just like any other shopping day will signify a loss of something in our culture, even if it is just a moment, a day, to pause in some kind of stillness, however briefly, to connect to something deeper in our psyches. To connect with our families, our neighbourhoods, our wider natural environment. Sunday in a minor way still has something of that function. I know the whole connection to the Biblical day of rest chills atheists to the bone, but above and beyond such common reflexes there is something to be said for times out of time.

It would be in Ireland, yes. While alcohol is still a factor for such things in Germany, it's a lot less so. My aunt used to say it's like when you house too many mice in a small cage and don't give them enough distractions - they'll end up attacking each other.

And I never really understood how other people shopping is stopping anyone who doesn't want to shop from, you know, not shopping? You can pause at any time you choose, why would you want to force others at exactly the same time?

I'm honestly not aware of any employment contracts out there that would even allow for an employee to work more than 5 days a week on average. Yes, there are some contracts that will see you work 2 weeks straight, but that's then followed by 4 days off. Anything else would be breaking the law.
    So why this insistence that everyone should have the same day(s) off?

It would be in Ireland, yes. While alcohol is still a factor for such things in Germany, it's a lot less so. My aunt used to say it's like when you house too many mice in a small cage and don't give them enough distractions - they'll end up attacking each other.

And I never really understood how other people shopping is stopping anyone who doesn't want to shop from, you know, not shopping? You can pause at any time you choose, why would you want to force others at exactly the same time?

I'm honestly not aware of any employment contracts out there that would even allow for an employee to work more than 5 days a week on average. Yes, there are some contracts that will see you work 2 weeks straight, but that's then followed by 4 days off. Anything else would be breaking the law.
    So why this insistence that everyone should have the same day(s) off?

I lived in Germany for 3 years. Quite liked the Sunday lull, but then I quite like quietness generally. Alcohol is pretty big there too, I reckon. But anyways people can do what they want. I live far enough away from towns to be able to pause when I want. Just there is something about if one is driving out to visit on Christmas Day the retreat and inwardness of villages or towns that have taken a moment to pause - it gives me a warm feeling. Like a shared humanity or retreat into home vibe. Put it down to sentiment :)

• Advertisement

I lived in Germany for 3 years. Quite liked the Sunday lull, but then I quite like quietness generally. Alcohol is pretty big there too, I reckon. But anyways people can do what they want. I live far enough away from towns to be able to pause when I want. Just there is something about if one is driving out to visit on Christmas Day the retreat and inwardness of villages or towns that have taken a moment to pause - it gives me a warm feeling. Like a shared humanity or retreat into home vibe. Put it down to sentiment :)

I guess I've seen too much of what goes on behind that quietness to actually enjoy it. My experience of it is that while a few people handle it very well, some, in particular the less stable personalities, don't.
    My most enduring memory of christmases back home was my best friend coming to our house crying year after year because her father had completely lost the plot again (teetotaller, before you go there ;) ). He simply could not cope with the enforced quietness, the publicly expected peacefulness of it all. And there was nothing the family could do. They didn't dare visit other family member for fear of what he might do there, and there was nothing of what they'd normally do to distract him. He wasn't allowed to open his shop, they couldn't go to the cinema, everything was closed.

The quietness is surface only, for many people. I always experienced it as intensely stressful, and was glad when I started working so I could escape it. And I was even happier when I came here and found I no longer had to escape it at all, the entire country already had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Same as any other day for me, but then again I'm a heathen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I lived in Germany for 3 years. Quite liked the Sunday lull, but then I quite like quietness generally.

I spent a summer working in Munich years ago, and the shopping hours were a complete pain in the arse.

Half day closing one day during the week, half day closing on Saturdays ffs, and EVERYWHERE shut on Sunday.

Nowhere to even buy a toilet roll.

One weekend we ran out, and I had to steal one from the U-bahn station toilet. I think the statute of limitations has expired by now... :o

If you don't want to shop or go to the cinema or whatever on a particular day then don't. Imposing it on everyone because a few people prefer it that way is just silly, imposing it on everyone because of religious reasons is even worse.

Scrap the cap!

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I'd say you're a joy to live beside

Getting back to that thread again, I don't know what all the kerfuffle is about.

58 Thanks and still counting!
    amdublin, bertsmom, Big Nasty, bluewolf, Brian?, BRYAN Is Ainm Dom, challengemaster, colm_mcm, Cynortas, DChancer, Doctors room ghost, dotsman, Dunjam, Eggs For Dinner, erica74, FanadMan, Fighting Tao, For Forks Sake, gimli2112, GingerLily, gmisk, godtabh, GoneHome, hairyslug, Hotblack Desiato, I'm a student nurse, AMA, irishguitarlad, Jimmy Bottlehead, jrmb, khaldrogo, Kivaro, MissTheDome, Mrs OBumble, neilthefunkeone, ohnonotgmail, Omackeral, ongarite, Pac1Man, pg633, rabwaygal, rainbowtrout, Realt Dearg Sec, Reati, Rulmeq, Shaunoc, Shenshen, Squeeonline, steddyeddy, Sugar Free, sugarman, SusieBlue, the_pen_turner, the_syco, twignme, Vowel Movement, wexie, Wiggles88, Wynner05

1. For a start, there's maybe two names out of that lot that I've ever seen before. So who are they? (a) Either the've an issue as regards Sunday's being a day of rest, which leads me to think they have and issue with the Catholic Church - or
    (b) they've an issue re someone remarking on a neighbour mowing their lawn on a Sunday.

As regards their relationship with the Church, that's their problem. As a matter of fact, I'm not a Church goer myself, but I do respect other peoples' choice to keep the Sunday Holy. I do like it that way, that we get one day a week where there is not all of this mad to-ing and fro-ing that goes on everywhere during the rest of the week.

Mowing a lawn may seem like a pretty harmless thing, but when the gardens are laid out in such a way, that his garden almost comes up to the back of my house and is about an acre in size completley laid out in lawn, that's a different story. Added to that, the noise of his lawn mower sounds like a pneumatic drill, ripping up the footpath outside my window. Then he has to have his music blaring over that while he's mowing. Next, he's washing down his patio while there's a hosepipe ban in operation and on top of that, he's power-washing and rinsing it, while everybody else is trying to conserve water. Do I not have a right to remark on that? The fact that it's on a Sunday, makes it all the more annoying. I'm sitting in my chair watching TV, at 7.30 of a Sunday evening, when all of this racket starts up, nearly lifting me out of my chair. I could do my best to tolerate it other days of the week, but not Sunday. If I thought he had an excuse, as some of you described, than that would be different. He did not have any excuse, as he was around on Saturday, with plenty of time to do it then, had he wished.

There is a thread on the go here that says something like "It should not be allowed" where people sound off about things that annoy them. Some of the things are nothing as bad as what I've described. Why don't all of you go onto that thread and tackle the posters there?

2. I do not know you guys, except for maybe two out of 58. Who are you guys?
    Are you house-owners - probably not as far as some of your are concerned, or you would have a little more understanding as to where I'm coming from.
    Age-wise, where do you fall? My first thought is that many of you are children possibly fitting within the 12/13 age-group or even less. The reason I think that is that is I've never seen any of you before in any of the circles where I move - and I'm certainly not within that age-group.

3. The implication from the post is that I would NOT be "a joy to live beside". Someone even mentioned "missis bouchet" (sp.). That's where you're wrong, you ignorant, judgemental lot. FYI, the neighbours really value me as a neighbour and don't miss out on lots of occasions to let me know that. When this house was being sold, before I bought it, my neighbours approached the vendors and the auctioneer, letting them know in no uncertain terms that they wanted a particular type of buyer that would fit in with what they regard as their area. Apparently, there had been terrible people living in the house before me, that had caused no end of trouble, and the neighbours wanted to make sure they did not have a repeat of that. They valued their lovely neighbourhood so much. They say it's very quiet and that's the way they want it to remain.

The auctioneer knew me, and recommended that I could be the right person, to satisfy their wishes. In fact there were two higher bids than mine and they were prepared to let me have the house at a lesser price, because they believed I was the right person. How many of you could say you've had that experience?

My neighbours on both sides and further up the road, are most helpful and friendly, offering to do this and that for me. As it happens, I haven't taken them up on any of their offers so far. If they are going away for a week-end, or such, they will phone me to let me know, so I can keep an eye out for their properties, while they're away. One of those neighbours acts as a key-holder for me.

Yet 58 of you ignoramuses could thank a post that says sarcastically that "I must be a joy to live beside" NOT! Certainly my neighbours think I am that neigbour they're delighted to have and don't hesitate to tell me how pleased they are, at every opportunity.

Another interesting point: Long before this house went on the market, I was passing by one morning. Suddenly my eye caught sight of the house I now live in. "Boy! Look at that house!", I exclaimed to myself. But then my next thought was: "But, of course, I wouldn't have a hope in Hell of getting a house like that." - and I just continued on driving.

A few months later, the Auctioneer mentioned to me that a house that I might be interested in was just about to come on the market. When she told me which one it was, I said the same to her. "Of course, I wouldn't have a hope in Hell of getting that house". Her answer always was "Never mind. If it's meant for you, then you will get it!" It turned out, she was correct.

I feel very blessed regarding my house. My friends and relatives love to come here to chill out. They say there is a lovely vibe to the house and it feels very homely. I could go on, but I'm sure you've had enough by now.

Maybe now, you have a different response to this thread, or if there is something I'm not aware of then hopefully you will kindly let me know what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

1. For a start, there's maybe two names out of that lot that I've ever seen before. So who are they?

Well considering you registered for boards last month, I'd be surprised if you knew many usernames. As it happens I recognize most of them.

So who are they? (a) Either the've an issue as regards Sunday's being a day of rest, which leads me to think they have and issue with the Catholic Church - or
    (b) they've an issue re someone remarking on a neighbour mowing their lawn on a Sunday.

Or simply 58 people who don't give a fcuk if the neighbours cut the grass on a Sunday.

2. I do not know you guys, except for maybe two out of 58. Who are you guys?
    Are you house-owners - probably not as far as some of your are concerned, or you would have a little more understanding as to where I'm coming from.
    Age-wise, where do you fall? My first thought is that many of you are children possibly fitting within the 12/13 age-group or even less. The reason I think that is that is I've never seen any of you before in any of the circles where I move - and I'm certainly not within that age-group.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

The thought of 58 12-13 year olds logging on to boards to comment on a thread about cutting the grass on a Sunday :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Maybe now, you have a different response to this thread, or if there is something I'm not aware of then hopefully you will kindly let me know what it is.

Was gonna cut the grass today. Think I'll just wait till Sunday now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement