Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Sunday No Longer Sacred?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

..........Was gonna cut the grass today. Think I'll just wait till Sunday now.

That's rather a bloody-minded reply, rainbowtrout. I don't know what your issue is or what axe you've got to grind. If all of the remaining 57 are as bloody-minded as you, what hope is there for Boards.ie? The reason I thought they could be 12/13 year olds is because I think the response overall is so immature. Frankly, I'm just baffled by that response in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

acai berry wrote: »
    2. I do not know you guys, except for maybe two out of 58. Who are you guys?
    Are you house-owners - probably not as far as some of your are concerned, or you would have a little more understanding as to where I'm coming from.
    Age-wise, where do you fall? My first thought is that many of you are children possibly fitting within the 12/13 age-group or even less. The reason I think that is that is I've never seen any of you before in any of the circles where I move - and I'm certainly not within that age-group.

3. The implication from the post is that I would NOT be "a joy to live beside". Someone even mentioned "missis bouchet" (sp.). That's where you're wrong, you ignorant, judgemental lot.

Yeah, all right, so I'll feed ya ... for the craic.

I'm a big-mouthed old bitch who says exactly what she thinks. Early 50s. Own a house overseas, and live in a small inner city apartment in Ireland. I LOVE that in the latter I don't have Hyacynth Bucket (google her) types to contend with. I can park outside other people's houses, vacuum (the inner city equivalent of lawn-mowing) any day I like, and have visitors without the curtain twitchers observing their every move and counting how many of them there are.

Do you feel better now you know more about me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That's rather a bloody-minded reply, rainbowtrout. I don't know what your issue is or what axe you've got to grind. If all of the remaining 57 are as bloody-minded as you, what hope is there for Boards.ie? The reason I thought they could be 12/13 year olds is because I think the response overall is so immature. Frankly, I'm just baffled by that response in the first place.

Being baffled by people's responses to you seems to be your main pastime on boards. Have you ever considered that maybe it's not everyone else who's the problem?

Yeah, all right, so I'll feed ya ... for the craic.

I'm a big-mouthed old bitch who says exactly what she thinks. Early 50s. Own a house overseas, and live in a small inner city apartment in Ireland. I LOVE that in the latter I don't have Hyacynth Bucket (google her) types to contend with. I can park outside other people's houses, vacuum (the inner city equivalent of lawn-mowing) any day I like, and have visitors without the curtain twitchers observing their every move and counting how many of them there are.

Do you feel better now you know more about me?

That's probably the ugliest reply I've ever come across on Boards, Mrs OBumble. This is my second time attempting to reply to this. Seems my computer refused to have anything to do with it first time. Would anybody blame it?

Who needs to be "fed" by a "a big-mouthed old bitch"? You've described yourself. Is that what you do - "feed" people with meanspiritedness "for the craic"? I've never heard the term feed used in that sense before.

To feed someone, is to nourish them, far as I'm concerned. What you're feeding is nothing short of poison, Mrs OBumble. [I mean that metaphorically, of course].

Being baffled by people's responses to you seems to be your main pastime on boards. Have you ever considered that maybe it's not everyone else who's the problem?

"My main pastime on Boards", Realt Dearg Sec! Is that not a rather sweeping statement? Have you been following me? I don't know anything about you. Sure I have a problem - understanding where all of this aggression is coming from. Maybe I shouldn't have posted at such a late hour. Seems to be bringing out the dregs of Boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"My main pastime on Boards", Realt Dearg Sec! Is that not a rather sweeping statement? Have you been following me? I don't know anything about you. Sure I have a problem - understanding where all of this aggression is coming from. Maybe I shouldn't have posted at such a late hour. Seems to be bringing out the dregs of Boards.ie.
    The dregs of boards?!! Oh my stars! I have never in my life heard such an offensive term! Please refrain from that kind of horrific aggression, it's giving me nervous tremors.

The dregs of boards?!! Oh my stars! I have never in my life heard such an offensive term! Please refrain from that kind of horrific aggression, it's giving me nervous tremors.

People generally get back what they give out, so don't be so surprised, Realt Dearg Sec. Good night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Getting back to that thread again, I don't know what all the kerfuffle is about.

58 Thanks and still counting!

1. For a start, there's maybe two names out of that lot that I've ever seen before. So who are they? (a) Either the've an issue as regards Sunday's being a day of rest, which leads me to think they have and issue with the Catholic Church - or
    (b) they've an issue re someone remarking on a neighbour mowing their lawn on a Sunday.

As regards their relationship with the Church, that's their problem. As a matter of fact, I'm not a Church goer myself, but I do respect other peoples' choice to keep the Sunday Holy. I do like it that way, that we get one day a week where there is not all of this mad to-ing and fro-ing that goes on everywhere during the rest of the week.

Mowing a lawn may seem like a pretty harmless thing, but when the gardens are laid out in such a way, that his garden almost comes up to the back of my house and is about an acre in size completley laid out in lawn, that's a different story. Added to that, the noise of his lawn mower sounds like a pneumatic drill, ripping up the footpath outside my window. Then he has to have his music blaring over that while he's mowing. Next, he's washing down his patio while there's a hosepipe ban in operation and on top of that, he's power-washing and rinsing it, while everybody else is trying to conserve water. Do I not have a right to remark on that? The fact that it's on a Sunday, makes it all the more annoying. I'm sitting in my chair watching TV, at 7.30 of a Sunday evening, when all of this racket starts up, nearly lifting me out of my chair. I could do my best to tolerate it other days of the week, but not Sunday. If I thought he had an excuse, as some of you described, than that would be different. He did not have any excuse, as he was around on Saturday, with plenty of time to do it then, had he wished.

There is a thread on the go here that says something like "It should not be allowed" where people sound off about things that annoy them. Some of the things are nothing as bad as what I've described. Why don't all of you go onto that thread and tackle the posters there?

2. I do not know you guys, except for maybe two out of 58. Who are you guys?
    Are you house-owners - probably not as far as some of your are concerned, or you would have a little more understanding as to where I'm coming from.
    Age-wise, where do you fall? My first thought is that many of you are children possibly fitting within the 12/13 age-group or even less. The reason I think that is that is I've never seen any of you before in any of the circles where I move - and I'm certainly not within that age-group.

3. The implication from the post is that I would NOT be "a joy to live beside". Someone even mentioned "missis bouchet" (sp.). That's where you're wrong, you ignorant, judgemental lot. FYI, the neighbours really value me as a neighbour and don't miss out on lots of occasions to let me know that. When this house was being sold, before I bought it, my neighbours approached the vendors and the auctioneer, letting them know in no uncertain terms that they wanted a particular type of buyer that would fit in with what they regard as their area. Apparently, there had been terrible people living in the house before me, that had caused no end of trouble, and the neighbours wanted to make sure they did not have a repeat of that. They valued their lovely neighbourhood so much. They say it's very quiet and that's the way they want it to remain.

The auctioneer knew me, and recommended that I could be the right person, to satisfy their wishes. In fact there were two higher bids than mine and they were prepared to let me have the house at a lesser price, because they believed I was the right person. How many of you could say you've had that experience?

My neighbours on both sides and further up the road, are most helpful and friendly, offering to do this and that for me. As it happens, I haven't taken them up on any of their offers so far. If they are going away for a week-end, or such, they will phone me to let me know, so I can keep an eye out for their properties, while they're away. One of those neighbours acts as a key-holder for me.

Yet 58 of you ignoramuses could thank a post that says sarcastically that "I must be a joy to live beside" NOT! Certainly my neighbours think I am that neigbour they're delighted to have and don't hesitate to tell me how pleased they are, at every opportunity.

Another interesting point: Long before this house went on the market, I was passing by one morning. Suddenly my eye caught sight of the house I now live in. "Boy! Look at that house!", I exclaimed to myself. But then my next thought was: "But, of course, I wouldn't have a hope in Hell of getting a house like that." - and I just continued on driving.

A few months later, the Auctioneer mentioned to me that a house that I might be interested in was just about to come on the market. When she told me which one it was, I said the same to her. "Of course, I wouldn't have a hope in Hell of getting that house". Her answer always was "Never mind. If it's meant for you, then you will get it!" It turned out, she was correct.

I feel very blessed regarding my house. My friends and relatives love to come here to chill out. They say there is a lovely vibe to the house and it feels very homely. I could go on, but I'm sure you've had enough by now.

Maybe now, you have a different response to this thread, or if there is something I'm not aware of then hopefully you will kindly let me know what it is.[/quote

No way can this post be real.p1ss take or a troll surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Sunday has stopped having any special merit to most people for many years now.

It's usually my only day off (I normally work a 6 day week) and I'll be damned if anyone else tells me what I should do on my only day off!

No way can this post be real.p1ss take or a troll surely?

No not a troll, Doctors room ghost.
    That is written from the heart. Pity you can't recognise that. Trolling has never been my style.

As I say, pity I started posting so late at night. Seems to bring out the worst.

BTW, you've lost one of your square brackets, Doctors room ghost. :pac:

• Advertisement

BuboBubo wrote: »
    It's usually my only day off (I normally work a 6 day week) and I'll be damned if anyone else tells me what I should do on my only day off!

Has somebody been doing that, BuboBubo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A sweeping statement says acai berry after calling 58 other users ignoramuses for thanking a post.ive read some strange things on boards over the years but this thread takes the bat sh1t crazy award.

A sweeping statement says acai berry after calling 58 other users ignoramuses for thanking a post.ive read some strange things on boards over the years but this thread takes the bat sh1t crazy award.

Surely "bat sh1t crazy", is not so complimentary either.

After my experiences on this thread, I will be walking out on the street or sitting on the bus that little bit more unsure as to who I'm walking or sitting next to. Sad! The level of negativity and distructivenes that this forum can bring up!

A forum founded on that level of negativity, regardless of how it looks on the outside or what it pays lip-service to, can only be set to self distruct in the end. If this is a reflection of society at large here in this country, my faith in human nature has been greatly dented. I need some air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Seriously, don't worry too much, it's only the poxy internet.
    Go out and live life to the full.
    Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

After my experiences on this thread, I will be walking out on the street or sitting on the bus that little bit more unsure as to who I'm walking or sitting next to. Sad! The level of negativity and distructivenes that this forum can bring up!

A forum founded on that level of negativity, regardless of how it looks on the outside or what it pays lip-service to, can only be set to self distruct in the end. If this is a reflection of society at large here in this country, my faith in human nature has been greatly dented. I need some air.

You were complaining at length and in detail on an online forum about the actions of your neighbour, yet you complain about negativity?
    That's rather 1984, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

A WUM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That's where you're wrong, you ignorant, judgemental lot. FYI, the neighbours really value me as a neighbour and don't miss out on lots of occasions to let me know that. When this house was being sold, before I bought it, my neighbours approached the vendors and the auctioneer, letting them know in no uncertain terms that they wanted a particular type of buyer that would fit in with what they regard as their area. Apparently, there had been terrible people living in the house before me.

The auctioneer knew me, and recommended that I could be the right person, to satisfy their wishes. In fact there were two higher bids than mine and they were prepared to let me have the house at a lesser price, because they believed I was the right person. How many of you could say you've had that experience?

My neighbours on both sides and further up the road, are most helpful and friendly, offering to do this and that for me. As it happens, I haven't taken them up on any of their offers so far. If they are going away for a week-end, or such, they will phone me to let me know, so I can keep an eye out for their properties, while they're away. One of those neighbours acts as a key-holder for me.
    Photo of poster located
    https://twitter.com/dailyfatherted/status/383009845240016896

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

To be 100% honest you come across as a stuck up asshole and then your response to people having a little fun at how much of an ass you are being is to call them children. It really doesn't reflect well on you.

Questioning when someone is cutting their grass is being an asshole, it's none of your business. And as pointed out many people would not like to live near someone who is watching when they are cutting their grass.

The thread title too about Sunday being sacred, no it's most definitely not whether any likes it or not and it's trendy to point that out. Someone who took even the slightest interest in Irish societal norms at any time since the 90s would know Sunday is not sacred, so you provided another avenue to poke fun at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the protestants up north are/were a lot more strict about it, t'was consider a sin to even play sports on a sunday

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I like the idea of a quiet Sunday. Every other day is manic, so why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

fryup wrote: »
    the protestants up north are/were a lot more strict about it, t'was consider a sin to even play sports on a sunday

A lot of field days and events still take place on Saturday up there.

Down here, I do find it annoying when attractions/tourist-orientated places are closed Sundays AND Saturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They can't even open a supermarket before 1pm up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Shenshen wrote: »
    It is one of the reasons I no longer live in Germany.
    The fact that every Sunday feels like there's about to be a Zombie attack any moment.... I grew up there, but Sundays in Germany still creep me out.

But the feeling of the unheimlich on a Sunday stroll, that's what made it so riveting to be alive, a place momentarily frozen!

Each to their own I say. Whether one deems Sunday "sacred" is a matter for personal conscience, not peering over the wall ready to be affronted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

To the disgust of my very very religious aunts - the advent of the Sunday afternoon footy match courtesy of Sky and the associated pre-match pints before said match rather put paid to regular churchgoing!

I'm still religious but Sunday is just the day to chill and relax - no different to Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

But the feeling of the unheimlich on a Sunday stroll, that's what made it so riveting to be alive, a place momentarily frozen!

Frozen describes it pretty well. And it may sound corny, but I enjoy life a bit too much to want to spend 1/7 of it frozen ;)

Patww79 wrote: »
    They can't even open a supermarket before 1pm up there.

which is not such a bad thing, when you think about it

which is not such a bad thing, when you think about it

It is when you like to get your shopping out of the way early on a Sunday morning. I doubt if they opened at 8am they'd be forcing anyone in the door anyway so all the God botherers could still do their thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OP needs to move to the Outer Hebrides, Isle of Harris and Lewis to be precise. I was there during the summer over a weekend, and was spinning around the island on Sunday and had planned to go into Stornoway, the biggest town on the island for dinner that afternoon. Had visited a local outdoor tourist attraction that morning and thought it was odd that the tourist centre wasn't open but didn't pass much heed at the time and assumed Sunday hours were different. It was only over the next couple of hours that I noticed not a single shop or petrol station was open in any of the villages. Cue lots of bewildered tourists, and presumably some who were stuck for petrol. Noticed lots of cars outside churches around 11-12.

Went into Stornoway anyway resigned to picking up something ready made from Tesco for dinner to discover that even Tesco doesn't open on Sundays. Nobody works in the Outer Hebrides on Sunday and nobody shops. It was a huge eye opener. Had to park up and do a quick google and eventually found one petrol station in the town was open for about 4 hours on Sunday. Hightailed it out there to pick up what I could food wise for the day. Queue was out the door with both Scots and tourists.

Such a bizarre experience, bit like going back to 1980s Ireland, except even then the corner shop would be open after mass etc. Nothing was open here. B&Bs don't take bookings for Sundays and so on. I was in self catering and arrived on the Saturday and nobody told me this. Utterly bizarre experience.

• Advertisement

It is when you like to get your shopping out of the way early on a Sunday morning. I doubt if they opened at 8am they'd be forcing anyone in the door anyway so all the God botherers could still do their thing.

well at least if gives the local shops a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Is Sunday no longer sacred? Well, that depends, is the world no longer flat? Tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to :p

well at least if gives the local shops a chance

Local shops have nothing in them and charge too much for what they have.

Used to hate having to go shopping on a Sunday when I was living there. It'd open at 1 and there would already be a mob there by 12:30.

OP needs to move to the Outer Hebrides, Isle of Harris and Lewis to be precise. I was there during the summer over a weekend, and was spinning around the island on Sunday and had planned to go into Stornoway, the biggest town on the island for dinner that afternoon. Had visited a local outdoor tourist attraction that morning and thought it was odd that the tourist centre wasn't open but didn't pass much heed at the time and assumed Sunday hours were different. It was only over the next couple of hours that I noticed not a single shop or petrol station was open in any of the villages. Cue lots of bewildered tourists, and presumably some who were stuck for petrol. Noticed lots of cars outside churches around 11-12.

Went into Stornoway anyway resigned to picking up something ready made from Tesco for dinner to discover that even Tesco doesn't open on Sundays. Nobody works in the Outer Hebrides on Sunday and nobody shops. It was a huge eye opener. Had to park up and do a quick google and eventually found one petrol station in the town was open for about 4 hours on Sunday. Hightailed it out there to pick up what I could food wise for the day. Queue was out the door with both Scots and tourists.

Such a bizarre experience, bit like going back to 1980s Ireland, except even then the corner shop would be open after mass etc. Nothing was open here. B&Bs don't take bookings for Sundays and so on. I was in self catering and arrived on the Saturday and nobody told me this. Utterly bizarre experience.

As you say, even corner shops opened in Ireland for a few hours on a Sunday in the 80s
    Thats why I’m a bit astounded by the “outrage” of the OP. I’m younger than the OP but even I can appreciate the journey Ireland has taken since then. I do wonder has she been living in the Outer Hebrides or similar until recently

7.30pm Sunday cutting the grass- all BBQS over, people relaxing indoors- nothing wrong with that except for the blaring radio which should be switched to headphones.
    It was the case decades ago Sunday was a day of rest but since Garden Centres Sunday opening and call centres were introduced it’s been well eroded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Local shops have nothing in them and charge too much for what they have.

Used to hate having to go shopping on a Sunday when I was living there. It'd open at 1 and there would already be a mob there by 12:30.

Bloody Provos :cool:

Advertisement