Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do if you found out you were terminally ill?(Mod Note Post One)

• 12-08-2018 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Let's say you've got a year left. What would you do with your remaining time on earth? Let's say you're still well enough to get around and do things.

I reckon I'd like to do a bit more travelling. Get the tattoos I haven't gotten around to yet, try the drugs I've been reluctant to try. Maybe get the missus to agree to a threeway since I'd be dying and all :p I'd spend as much time as I could with my partner, family and friends too of course.

Mod Note A good few posts have being reported. Just remember this is a sensitive topic and cut out the bickering!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I would travel, try drugs and have a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Well if I had a year to live Id imagine Id deteriorate very rapidly. I would let my family know how much I love them and prepare a will.

Id try to do things I wanted to do, but so far have not, subject to my being able.

If I deteriorating badly Id try to arrange my own death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

I'd sue the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There's a regular poster in AH who's terminal and I've a parent who's terminal at the moment hopefully everyone will be a little sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cry, probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Turnipman wrote: »
    I'd sue the HSE.

21st Century Ireland in nutshell.

Pass the skag works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Heroin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

Heroin , if I knew I had like 1 or 2 days left I would try it , give me that stuff and let’s see what the crack is about!

Up until that point traveling and sight seeing and doing as much as I can to enjoy my last moments

There's a regular poster in AH who's terminal and I've a parent who's terminal at the moment hopefully everyone will be a little sensitive.

Sorry to hear that.

My own mum is deteriorating at the moment, memory loss etc and its very hard to deal with. Its much worse for her I know

thebull85 wrote: »
    Heroin

Interestingly enough , a lot of painkillers prescribed to terminal patients are pretty serious opiates.

• Advertisement

I would tell my family and do as much together as possible. I wouldn’t ask to be kept at home. Having kept a family member at home for their final days, I’d opt for a hospice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

I would spend every single day finding a way to cure it and get better. Go out fighting rather than all the bull**** above

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

If there was no treatment, even experimental, I'd get my affairs in order and spend the rest of my time either enjoying myself or in the company of my friends and loved ones.

Try_harder wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.

My own mum is deteriorating at the moment, memory loss etc and its very hard to deal with. Its much worse for her I know

Thanks , look after yourselves too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My feelings exactly. Having been through the scenario with a young family member a few years ago and now a good friend at the moment I even found the thread title upsetting. I'd ask people to keep in mind that it's a sensitive subject and close to the bone for many.
    I'll simply not read any more but can't hide the thread title unfortunately.

Thanks , look after yourselves too.

You too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

My feelings exactly. Having been through the scenario with a young family member a few years ago and now a good friend at the moment I even found the thread title upsetting. I'd ask people to keep in mind that it's a sensitive subject and close to the bone for many.
    I'll simply not read any more but can't hide the thread title unfortunately.

I apologise if people find this to be a sensitive subject. I guess I thought it could be treated in a lighthearted way in After Hours.

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    I apologise if people find this to be a sensitive subject. I guess I thought it could be treated in a lighthearted way in After Hours.

Don't apologise , life needs a bit of black humour , not the Eddy Murphy type either.

Sorry to hear that.

I don’t agree. I think that it’s much harder for loved ones. Take care of yourself. It isn’t easy.

Travel as much as possible while I'm still healthy enough to do so.

Ideally I'd then like to end my life in as painless and dignified a manner as possible, so would look into the feasibility of travelling to Dignitas in Switzerland and availing of assisted suicide (obviously this would depend largely on financial/time/legal constraints).

• Advertisement

I dont agree. I think that its much harder for loved ones. Take care of yourself. It isnt easy.

It is her knowing her memory is going, and how upsetting it is for her.

My take on this is that planning on enjoying yourself when your life is ending isn't something that really feels possible. Fear of rapidly deteriorating unexpectedly (which happened with a relative recently) is another factor that makes skydiving in Uzbekistan unappealing when it comes down to it. People want to be near medical assistance.

I think I'd try to make everything as easy as possible for the ones I'd be leaving behind, and just spend as much time in the company of the people I love as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I think I'd just take it one day at a time. Now, it seems slightly humorous to plan all the exciting bucket list things because I know it's not real but, realistically, if I was dying, I can't imagine waking up every day full of energy and plans.
    I've always had a fear of dying so, if I was to know in advance that I was dying, I don't think I would cope very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I live as normal and then cut the wrists in 50 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

First and foremost, I'd start getting rid of all my clutter. The less my next of kin have to get rid of when I'm gone, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d take out lots of loans.

erica74 wrote: »
    I think I'd just take it one day at a time. Now, it seems slightly humorous to plan all the exciting bucket list things because I know it's not real but, realistically, if I was dying, I can't imagine waking up every day full of energy and plans.
    I've always had a fear of dying so, if I was to know in advance that I was dying, I don't think I would cope very well.

You'd cope, people are very good at coping because what it comes down to is that you have no choice but to cope. :)

Patww79 wrote: »
    I live as normal and then cut the wrists in 50 weeks.
    Sounds a bit dire. I hope not.

acai berry wrote: »
    Sounds a bit dire. I hope not.

Believe me, so do I.

• Advertisement

Remember to delete my internets and wipe my laptop and phone oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I'd like to think that I'd suddenly stop worrying about stuff and make the most of what time I have left. But knowing how my mind works, I suspect I'd spend my remaining year solemnly counting down the days, Googling any new symptoms and being painfully conscious of any changes in my health, and what those changes mean in terms of metastases, assuming it's cancer.

Being single and not having any kids, or anyone who depends on me being around, I'm not sure I'd feel too guilty about the idea of checking-out a bit earlier than advertised.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Believe me, so do I.

I sat with a friend until she died in the hospice - and really, they make it very easy in the end with palliative medicine. No need for slashing wrists!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Id take out lots of loans.

From who? No one would give them to you, and if they did the debt would still exist

I guess I was going for black humour, as I have a life limiting condition myself. While I wouldn't call it exactly terminal, I have a life expectancy of late thirties and it will be terminal one day. I prefer to have a sense of humour about this as much as I can, after all we're all going to kick the bucket one day.

From who? No one would give them to you, and if they did the debt would still exist

That would be half the challenge , convincing a bank to give you a loan knowing you're in the drop zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Cleopatra_ wrote:
    I reckon I'd like to do a bit more travelling. Get the tattoos I haven't gotten around to yet, try the drugs I've been reluctant to try. Maybe get the missus to agree to a threeway since I'd be dying and all I'd spend as much time as I could with my partner, family and friends too of course.

I'd change my username from Cleopatra if I had a missus and I was a bloke. Or I'd get a sex change for ****s and giggles.

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    I guess I was going for black humour, as I have a life limiting condition myself. While I wouldn't call it exactly terminal, I have a life expectancy of late thirties and it will be terminal one day. I prefer to have a sense of humour about this as much as I can, after all we're all going to kick the bucket one day.

Different people find different coping mechanisms. When I was diagnosed with cancer - I wasn't terminal, but who's to know in the early days. In the hospital, I saw people, laughing and making jokes at their condition. I must say that was not my approach. I was just very quiet and sombre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

acai berry wrote:
    First and foremost, I'd start getting rid of all my clutter. The less my next of kin have to get rid of when I'm gone, the better.

This was exactly my thought as well, my house is full of useless crap,

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I'd change my username from Cleopatra if I had a missus and I was a bloke. Or I'd get a sex change for ****s and giggles.

Not good taste in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Sail around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Gif0_two_chicks.gif

An Ri rua wrote: »

I'm not a bloke though!

I would seek out the genuine article esoteric arms of most religions and see if I could learn more about death and therefore life.
    E.g. as I currently do, the writings of the Rosicrucians. Very accessible through the books of Joseph Weed.
    I would, as a previous poster highlighted, see what other knowledge is out there. E.g. the work of Grigori Grabovoi (knock yourself out, Wikipedia graduates, but those who seek real truth always find it).
    I would make an honest attempt, through the lens of death, to understand life and my purpose here. I would seek out all those I've wronged and, if not apologising directly, make amends behind the scenes at least.
    And the funny thing is, this 'exercise' should be practiced now, by all. Not just when you know you're going to die? Because you DO know, you ARE going to die. Ask De Montaigne, ask Socrates (not literally...).
    So that final year could be your best lived year. Fully conscious, awake, contributing. Instead of consuming, navel-gazing, selfie-making, hedonism, heroin etc etc.
    I would definitely not take the final word of a doctor. They're simply saying that they can do no more. Its still your body and your life. So make your own calls after that 'prognosis'.

I understand your sentiment but I think we're all guilty of hiding death in a corner of our lives. Whereas its the necessary duality to life. When it occurs close to us, it sharpens our senses. Then things go all foggy again. Life us the blink of an eye.
    I've spent 7 nights awake separately with 2 close relatives, in nursing homes, as they passed on and I believe it crystallises what's real and what's BS out there. Its simply unforgettable and changes you.
    I think when someone else passes, its not merely loss of the person but also loss of the 'eternality' of life, that innocence of forever, that we lose. And that cuts deep.
    But, once we internalise its lessons, it should invigorate us. To love, to live consciously, to have threesomes, take heroin, whatever it is you may be driven to do. Good or bad, that's your choice. But take action! Live. Get off Facebook and yes maybe even Boards !!

acai berry wrote:
    Not good taste in this thread.

I disagree completely. As the Op sets the tone for a thread

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/irish-writer-nuala-o-faolain-dies-at-68-1.712726

Remember Nuala O'Faolain? She did a documentary on herself being terminally ill. Her idea was to travel as much as she could before dying. The only memory I have of watching that documentary is seeing her sitting in utter desolation, alone, at a bistro table outside a coffee shop in Paris.

acai berry wrote: »
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/irish-writer-nuala-o-faolain-dies-at-68-1.712726

Remember Nuala O'Faolain? She did a documentary on herself being terminally ill. Her idea was to travel as much as she could before dying. The only memory I have of watching that documentary is seeing her sitting in utter desolation, alone, at a bistro table outside a coffee shop in Paris.

Need people around you, people you want, that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

Turnipman wrote: »
    I'd sue the HSE.

You'd need a very slow death to make it to the first hearing, let alone a judgement.

All the better for you, although you'd better spend all your money before you kick the bucket, because they'll go after your estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Delete my browsing history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I would ask God to forgive me all my faults, ask a priest to hear my confession. I will pray from my heart. I will forgive all others who have hurt me, and as a Catholic, would receive the Holy Eucharist daily if possible, asking God to bring me to everlasting life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement