Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do if you found out you were terminally ill?(Mod Note Post One)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I disagree completely. As the Op sets the tone for a thread
    In that case then, it's just a stupid remark. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'd get a Springer spaniel .....

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    Let's say you've got a year left. What would you do with your remaining time on earth? Let's say you're still well enough to get around and do things.

I reckon I'd like to do a bit more travelling. Get the tattoos I haven't gotten around to yet, try the drugs I've been reluctant to try. Maybe get the missus to agree to a threeway since I'd be dying and all :p I'd spend as much time as I could with my partner, family and friends too of course.

Has anyone said Bungee jumping yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d take out lots of loans.

Hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭twignme

I have lived all my bucket list already, I can’t really understand the whole wait until your time is limited thing to do all that stuff. After my sister died a few years ago, I went a bit crazy with the grief and de-cluttered, made the will, sorted out all my affairs, so everything is good to go so to speak. If I was to be given the terminal prognosis, I would pack some good music and take myself off to Dignitas whilst I was still able. No fuss, no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

twignme wrote: »
    I have lived all my bucket list already, I can’t really understand the whole wait until your time is limited thing to do all that stuff. After my sister died a few years ago, I went a bit crazy with the grief and de-cluttered, made the will, sorted out all my affairs, so everything is good to go so to speak. If I was to be given the terminal prognosis, I would pack some good music and take myself off to Dignitas whilst I was still able. No fuss, no bother.

Bit of a double standard there. You say why wait til you get the prognosis, but why did you wait til your sister died?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Spend every second I could with my kids. Make videos for them. Write notes for them. Make the best of every day until I couldn't anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Spend as much time with my children and my partner as possible. Even if it's just days in the couch watching movies. I would wanna be there until the end and I want them to know that I love them dearly.
    Also I'd try to get an exclusive pre-screening of an amazing movie and want to jump out of a plane and if I'd have the money, I wanna go on a cruise. Always wanted to know how that is.
    But I believe it often doesn't work out because most terminally ill people don't exactly swim in money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

acai berry wrote:
    In that case then, it's just a stupid remark.

That's very arrogant of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Delete my browsing history

If I was you , I'd probably be trying to burn down Google .

Patww79 wrote: »
    Bit of a double standard there. You say why wait til you get the prognosis, but why did you wait til your sister died?

???
    I sorted my affairs after my sister died. To what double standard are you referring?

twignme wrote: »
    ???
    I sorted my affairs after my sister died. To what double standard are you referring?

Because you say you can't understand why people wait until the bad news before doing it all, but you waited til your sister died before doing it all. Why hadn't you done it all before she died?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Just on a side note.

There's a book called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.

It's a great tool for those facing adversity; to help them enjoy each moment and live in the present one moment at a time.

Just thought I'd share that.

Why don't the two of yous knock it off and let the rest of us enjoy the thread.
    It's a really sensitive topic for some people and if people can get a smile out of something so sad , so be it.
    Let's not bicker.

Sorry if it comes across that way. Just read your post again. A sex-change plus...[giggles] would be totally out of the question for someone who has been diagnosed as being terminally ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Why don't the two of yous knock it off and let the rest of us enjoy the thread........

Yes mod

Whatever you say mod

Patww79 wrote: »
    Because you say you can't understand why people wait until the bad news before doing it all, but you waited til your sister died before doing it all. Why hadn't you done it all before she died?

I said I have lived my life doing ‘bucket list’ type activities and can’t understand people leaving that until the end. I then said that I did the de-cluttering and will making stuff after my sister died. Two different things, unless you consider writing your will to be a bucket list activity :confused:

This is After Hours. I understand that you joined on 07-07-18. So perhaps read the forum rules.
    We're all free to express ourselves, to have fun re death, to be sensitive, insensitive, to say unfeasible things. Etc etc. We are not free to be Mods. Even if we are terminally ill. That's in God's hands. Or a SuperMod, as he/she is otherwise known.

This is After Hours. I understand that you joined on 07-07-18. So perhaps read the forum rules.
    We're all free to express ourselves, to have fun re death, to be sensitive, insensitive, to say unfeasible things. Etc etc. We are not free to be Mods. Even if we are terminally ill. That's in God's hands. Or a SuperMod, as he/she is otherwise known.

Nobody needs rapiness.

Get off my back, An Ri rua! You expressed yourself. I responded, expressing myself. Where's your problem? As an earlier poster said - just stop bickering - i.e right fighting.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    Yes mod

Whatever you say mod

Ohhhh , look at you grovelling.

xzanti wrote: »
    Just on a side note.

It's a great tool for those facing adversity; to help them enjoy each moment and live in the present one moment at a time.

I've read that book, and I must say, it had a life-changing effect on me - for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just on a side note.

How fcuking weird. That’s the 3rd time today that book has crossed my path, having never heard of it yesterday. Think it’s a sign.........

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    How fcuking weird. That’s the 3rd time today that book has crossed my path, having never heard of it yesterday. Think it’s a sign.........
    Definitely a sign! Our Higher Powers work in mysterious ways. ;):D

Patww79 wrote:
    Nobody needs rapiness.

It doesn't even rhyme?? Maybe it flows better with a Wickla accent. I dunno.

Back on thread, what's the Op's opinions on the suggestions so far?

It doesn't even rhyme?? Maybe it flows better with a Wickla accent. I dunno.

Back on thread, what's the Op's opinions on the suggestions so far?

Deflect with an insult. Classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

Don't know to be honest but, but having lost alot of people very close to me, I have had it in my head that I would alienate all family and friends and move away to die alone saving them from watching me going downhill, very selfish of me I know but like I said I don't really know what I'd do, Its a horrible situation to be in, I have sincere sympathy for anyone who recives this news .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod Note A good few posts have being reported. Just remember this is a sensitive topic and cut out the bickering!

I would start a youtube diary. I would spend 10 - 15 minutes every evening talking about my life, people I knew, events and stories that happened over the years etc. so that my family will have an idea of what type of person I was.

This way my kids would have something to refer to in my absence, it would be like giving advice from beyond the grave.

A friend of mine passed recently having had a long illness. In the handout booklet you get in the Church at the funeral, she had what could only be described as a biography at the back. Every detail of her life was included with days and dates. I don't think I'd do that. My life would be too boring anyway, I have to admit. ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eckhart Tolle? Christ no. For me anyway, he has a face, voice, manner and half baked dumbed down "philosophy" that is very punchable. And mostly utter bloody nonsense. On the other hand, whatever gets you through the night. Is alright. Is alright.(John Lennon(c) 1974)

Me? I dunno really. I faced the oul grim reaper when I was around 18. After an initial WTF!!!! :eek:, followed by :mad:, then :(, :rolleyes: came soon enough after. Like in a matter of days. I'm fairly "meh, what can you do?" as a general mindset in thing like this. I've had to go through it with too many people, which does inform one's thinking. Which has somewhat increased my fatalism in the face of such things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eckhart Tolle? Christ no. For me anyway, he has a face, voice, manner and half baked dumbed down "philosophy" that is very punchable. And mostly utter bloody nonsense. On the other hand, whatever gets you through the night. Is alright. Is alright.(John Lennon(c) 1974)

Me? I dunno really. I faced the oul grim reaper when I was around 18. After an initial WTF!!!! :eek:, followed by :mad:, then :(, :rolleyes: came soon enough after. Like in a matter of days. I'm fairly "meh, what can you do?" as a general mindset in thing like this. I've had to go through it with too many people, which does inform one's thinking. Which has somewhat increased my fatalism in the face of such things.

No need to shoot the messenger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

I've always wanted a police chase for the craic. 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

acai berry wrote: »
    No need to shoot the messenger!
    Depends entirely on the message involved. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

If I was well enough (and had enough money) I would travel, with family.
    But I would also like to just do the normal stuff.
    I'd make sure I spend enough time with every one who's important in my life.

And mostly, I would try and get everything ready for my spouse and children. I would try and think about what it is that I could have provided better than anyone else for them, advice or simply affection and support, and material things too, and I would try and come up with a way to somewhat deliver on that.

Maybe write a lot of letters, to be opened on special occasions like exam success/failure, marriage, births... and also some random ones, to be opened any day, or surprise ones.

I would make sure that they clearly understand that it's ok to move on with their lives.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Depends entirely on the message involved. :D
    Have it your way, but doesn't mean you're always right.

Have it your way, but doesn't mean you're always right.
    Blasphemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Remove the stresses from my life and enjoy the small things.

Spend time with family, try to keep things as normal as possible for them, and reach out to others in a similar situation (assuming there are support groups) and try to live a healthy, positive mind set.

I'd possibly start a blog of some sort where I'd post as much music, poetry, short stories, drawings or any other random ideas that popped into my head that I felt the desire to share.

I don't think I'd be jetting off and getting as much travel under my belt as I could. I feel you'd want family and friends around more so than wandering around Australia on your own.

• Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

Get a gun and kill a bunch of scumbags.

• Advertisement

Probalby not the first time in history others have had the same idea!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Tbh, I'd probably carry on as I have. I don't see the point of travelling the world or stuff.

Would probably be more mindful of creating good memories for the people I care about, and make sure my finances can afford the funeral costs.

The drugs idea is tempting though, and I would like a dignified exit at a time of my choosing.

• Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

Probalby not the first time in history others have had the same idea!

I've often thought if I hit rock bottom, then why not?

Never understood why the mentals in America shoot up schools and churchs. Go shoot drug dealers.

It's only recently the guy with HIV Aids was found guilty of infecting his two partners. There are bad eggs around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Start in Leinster House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Just on a side note.

& the follow up Book "A New Earth"

• Advertisement

& the follow up Book "A New Earth"

I've read these two books years ago, with great benefits. Must read them again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

at the moment? heave a great sigh of relief and look forwards. all is sorted; when you are nearly 80...so tired and in so much pain..

worst is ,my critters... but my extended family know all my wishes and worries.

We lost a 95 year old last month. She simply went to sleep and her last note read,"burn me, scatter me, remember me."

death has no fear for those who know and love the Lord Jesus. He is Home.

PS of course things long still to do and be..life is a beauty and a gift.... sometimes relinquishing is hard. NB will if I die on the island get the helicopter ride |I keep on about but will not see it ... how our dead are taken off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

erudec wrote: »
    You'd need a very slow death to make it to the first hearing, let alone a judgement.

All the better for you, although you'd better spend all your money before you kick the bucket, because they'll go after your estate.

Not a chance - the dice are loaded so the HSE always lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

I enjoy reading the most thanked responses on boards as they generally make me laugh or an interesting read. I find this thread upsetting as my father is terminally ill and when he found out he made the decision to fight and he continues to fight. I know its a personal decision but my father is 80 years young who is fitter than most 30 year olds, taken care of his health, ate well and work(ed) out 4-5 times a week. Recently diagnosed with brain cancer. Had most of the tumour removed, undergoing treatment and just getting on with his life. We don't see him as terminal, we see him as living for a long long time. You could be hit by a car in the morning.

Best wishes to your dear, beloved father, Ande1975. Being willing to fight, is what it's all about. Certainly does prolong life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement