Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Queries

Options
  • 12-08-2018 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey,

So, here's my situation (which has me really confused).

I am 22 years of age, 23 in October and I'm planning to go back to University September 2019.
    I was in UCC already and completed 3 years (2 full and a repeat year of 2 of 12 modules) but had to drop out for monetary reasons.

I really want to go back as soon, but here's the catch, I want to start the course from scratch; crazy I know. During that repeat year, I had been working full-time alongside it and have been working non-stop since.

I don't know if I will be eligible for any sort of funding due to me having gotten 2 years of the grant from SUSI from my previous attendance. However, I was applying as a dependent at the time and that is no longer the case.

To go back to University I will have to give up my full-time job as the course I want to do is strictly full-time. As a result, I will have no form of income.

I have done research on grants and the like but I can't get my head around if I would actually be able to get enough financial aid to sustain me where I won't have to work. I want to be able to dedicate a lot of time into my future studies and working is what caused me to fall behind in the first place causing my repeat year.

If anyone has any good advice I would strongly appreciate it! Any questions, go for it and I will answer as clearly as I can.

-TheTopsoil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

TheTopsoil wrote: »
    Hey,

So, here's my situation (which has me really confused).

I am 22 years of age, 23 in October and I'm planning to go back to University September 2019.
    I was in UCC already and completed 3 years (2 full and a repeat year of 2 of 12 modules) but had to drop out for monetary reasons.

I really want to go back as soon, but here's the catch, I want to start the course from scratch; crazy I know. During that repeat year, I had been working full-time alongside it and have been working non-stop since.

I don't know if I will be eligible for any sort of funding due to me having gotten 2 years of the grant from SUSI from my previous attendance. However, I was applying as a dependent at the time and that is no longer the case.

To go back to University I will have to give up my full-time job as the course I want to do is strictly full-time. As a result, I will have no form of income.

I have done research on grants and the like but I can't get my head around if I would actually be able to get enough financial aid to sustain me where I won't have to work. I want to be able to dedicate a lot of time into my future studies and working is what caused me to fall behind in the first place causing my repeat year.

If anyone has any good advice I would strongly appreciate it! Any questions, go for it and I will answer as clearly as I can.

-TheTopsoil

As you know you won't receive any grant for the years you've already done and you'll be liable to pay tuition fees for any years you plan on re doing unless you can show some sort of illness.(i.e. If you wanted to re do year 1+2 of a course you'd be liable for full fees for those years and then you'd be ok for year 3 on)

If you were unemployed for more than 9 months prior to Sept 2019 while getting a social welfare payment you'd be able to apply for Back to education allowance. It is a weekly payment through the college year for the same amount that your jobseekers/etc payment is. (So if you were on 100euro jobseekers you'd get 100euro BTEA).

Advertisement