Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

Options
  • 12-08-2018 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

This was in my back garden.
    I transplanted it to the front today and cut it right down to size.

It had been growing against a wall so was all lopsided and growing towards the light, I thought cutting it back would give it a good chance to grow to a 'normal' shape.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

Its Euonymus japonicus, possibly 'Duc d'anjou'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Looks the very fella!! Did a search for duc d'anjou. Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It's a bit early to be transplanting things yet. The end of September onwards would be better. It may struggle, especially if you didn't get a good rootball with it. You'll need to keep it well watered - but not waterlogged/drowned - until well into the autumn. It is small enough though and may manage. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Complete amateur at the garden, thanks for the tips. Got a good decent rootball with it.

Looks a nice shrub. It's planted in an area that tends to get quite wet in winter.. Could be a problem, I'm sure I'll report back at some point!

Will keep it watered in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I too have a lop-sided euonymus - it was in the garden then in another garden, and another and now in a pot, its been hanging around not doing much for about 30 years! It came as a cutting from my mother's garden in England, where it had taken over an entire flower bed and grown up a large expanse of rather neglected wire fence, it must have been 8 ft wide and 6 ft high. It never showed the same enthusiasm for me though! For years one side has been dead and twiggy, and the other side grows ok, not a lot, but ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement