Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6/7 berth camper!

• 12-08-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys,

Just wondering what is yere opinions on the best 08/09/10 6/7 berth camper to buy!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

nui0304 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wondering what is yere opinions on the best 08/09/10 6/7 berth camper to buy!

Thanks!
    First of all I would ask do you actually need 6/7 berths and what licen e do you have. Most 6/7 berths will be close to or even way over the weight limit for a B Licence. I've see lots of people that buy extra berths for the odd time their grandkids or kids want to come and it would probably be cheaper to put them up in a five star hotel for the few days they end up going compares to the extra purchase and fuel costs. Not to mind the inconvenience if a huge van when driving around narrow roads in ireland and europe and parking although truck sat nav helps avoid sticky situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nui0304

First of all I would ask do you actually need 6/7 berths and what licen e do you have. Most 6/7 berths will be close to or even way over the weight limit for a B Licence. I've see lots of people that buy extra berths for the odd time their grandkids or kids want to come and it would probably be cheaper to put them up in a five star hotel for the few days they end up going compares to the extra purchase and fuel costs. Not to mind the inconvenience if a huge van when driving around narrow roads in ireland and europe and parking although truck sat nav helps avoid sticky situations.

I have the normal car licence. I have two kids and would like the option to bring a fifth person so i would need a five berth anyway. would you suggest a 5/6 over a 6/7?

What make/model would you recommend?!

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

I would go for a 6 berth, 2 bunks, 2 in the double bed over the cab and 2 in the convertible dinette area. That will be an ideal setup for 4 (meaning the convertible dinette bed won't need to be made up) and will also comfortably sleep a fifth person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

If you want the option for 5, sleeping arrangements are important.

With 5, you'll need to make up the table to serve as a bed. This is easy to do, but when the kids go to bed, what do the adults do? For this reason, you'll need somewhere to sit, and a decent awning is the solution. IMHO, any camper with more than 4 people staying in it, is just a bedroom bathroom. You need extra space for a sitting room. Trying to make breakfast for 5 without access to the table as a working space, is a pain in the hoop.

Also bear in mind that for 5, you need five seatbelts. Alot of campers have room to sleep 5, 6 or even 7, but very few have 6 or 7 seatbelts.

I have a six berth that sleeps six comfortably, and has 6 seatbelts (albeit two rear facing lap belts, but still). I have a vango awning for our "Sitting room". It works well for us, but I was two years looking for the "right" camper.

Beware the laws on B license legality. My camper is legal, even when loaded (checked and confirmed on a weighbridge, and I have a printout to prove it). Alot of the 7 berths are advertised as B legal, but probably are not. In Ireland, no-one gives a crap, our Euro-friends are a different kettle of fish in this regard.

Hope this helps.

@ Jaden: What model of Vango awning do you have for your "Sitting room"? Any pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I have an Rimor Superbrig on a Merc chassis. It is 6/7 berth. It is under 3.5 ton so can be drove on a B license. It has a pair of bunkbeds, double overhead bed, a double dinette that converts into a double, and a single dinette that converts into a single. It can legally carry 6.

There are 4 of us, and I am very happy with it, the kids sleep in the bunkbeds, leaving the dining area for me and the missus to sit when the kids go to bed. I had a smaller 4 berth camper, but as already mentioned once the kids went to bed there was no space for sitting watching TV or whatever. Ours is 7m long, the only time I find this an inconvenience is when trying to park in towns, apart from that I don't find it any harder to maneuver than the old 5m one.

I would advise going for an extra couple of berths for the reasons outlined above, as long as you can drive it on a B license

I got a Vango Idris II

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/drive-away-awnings/1339-idris-ii-tall.html

It's inflatable, so no messing with poles. Takes less than 15 minutes to put up. Sturdy and spacious. A well made piece of kit that has withstood monumental rain and wind (think Achill in April).

There are bigger awnings, but we have a 6 foot table and six chairs in ours, and a little over half the awning is taken up when these are out.

@Jaden: Nice awning but could not justify approx €600 for it. Can you pitch it when on a hard stand with no grass?

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    @Jaden: Nice awning but could not justify approx €600 for it. Can you pitch it when on a hard stand with no grass?

I've done that several times.

Advertisement