Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Submersible pump?

• 12-08-2018 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some advice, I need to buy a submersible pump and recommendation is the Lidl/Aldi one. Which of course is not available and no idea when it’s back in.....

So just wondering what the best alternative would be? It’s for dirty water and clean

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What do you need the submersible pump for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What do you need the submersible pump for?

Pumping water ..... haha

It’s for a small job but mate said just buy one and keep as well for backup to the septic tank

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Pumping water ..... haha

It’s for a small job but mate said just buy one and keep as well for backup to the septic tank

Water! Who would have thought :D

The most basic subs will deal with clean and dirty (rain / surface) water. But if you are planning on using it for a septic tank at some point I would be suggesting something a bit more powerful.
    If you are near Dublin you could contact Flow-Pumps on (01)4503673 (Dublin12) and tell them your requirements and they should be able to supply you with what you need. They also post to anywhere in the country if you are not close enough to drop in to them.

Water! Who would have thought :D

The most basic subs will deal with clean and dirty (rain / surface) water. But if you are planning on using it for a septic tank at some point I would be suggesting something a bit more powerful.
    If you are near Dublin you could contact Flow-Pumps on (01)4503673 (Dublin12) and tell them your requirements and they should be able to supply you with what you need. They also post to anywhere in the country if you are not close enough to drop in to them.

Thanks, will give them a shout.

Don't want to spend huge money as it will probably spend 99% of its life sitting alongside all my other gadgets in the shed :P I prefer to just buy and keep items instead of loaning/renting. You never know when you need them syndrome ......

Anything I should be looking for? I don't really have a require, apart from the Iidl/Aldi one he said was good and to get something similar

Probably best to phone them and see what they say. If it was only to pump water on a rare occasion a fairly basic one should do the job, depending on the volume you want moved and how quick.
    One of my subs I bought in Aldi or Lidl well over 10 years ago and it still works fine when needed.
    My concern would be using a basic one in a septic tank, a basic one may struggle and get clogged too easily. This is where you would probably need to consider something more powerful, and more money. But have a chat with them about your requirements and see what they suggest.
    One thing to look for is the depth of the water left behind, some are better than others. One of mine will take water down to under 10mm, whilst another may only go down to 25 - 30mm, but you will have to keep the float propped up to achieve that.

• Advertisement

Thanks for help but they want over 200 quid for a pump, I asked for cheap and they wouldn’t quote

So I will look else where, seen a few on amazon which might do the job

No chance I’m paying 200 quid to sit on a shelf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

The aldi one will be out soon I'm waiting all year for a second one they are great job

lab man wrote: »
    The aldi one will be out soon I'm waiting all year for a second one they are great job

Can you set up alert or how you track it?

Thanks for help but they want over 200 quid for a pump, I asked for cheap and they wouldn’t quote

So I will look else where, seen a few on amazon which might do the job

Sorry about that, didn't expect to be that expensive, unless that's for a more powerful unit to handle sewerage and carriage costs.
    Try N.J. Power (pump supplies) on 01-456 4099 for a comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If its just for dewatering then https://www.amazon.co.uk/151652-Heavy-Submersible-Clean-Dirty/dp/B01LWY1VO8/ (plenty of others to choose from on Amazon) will do the job for around €35 delivered and its very similar to the Lidl/Aldi ones possibly less powerful I haven't been out to check the rating plate on mine from Lidl.

Head isn't great but you will get a good flow if you attach a 25mm hose pipe, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WWBDP0M/ is cheap and chearful (but recommended) however you just have to order and wait for them to arrive as they are never in stock.

Then you can make life really easy for yourself by using quick fit couplings, pick suitable sizes from here and here. Note the couplings will join different pipe sizes as the mating faces are all standard and different makes will also join together the original brand name would be Geka couplings.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that, didn't expect to be that expensive, unless that's for a more powerful unit to handle sewerage and carriage costs.
    Try N.J. Power (pump supplies) on 01-456 4099 for a comparison.

Nothing to be sorry about....thanks for the help.....

If I had regular use for the item I would have no issue buying it....if you seen my sheds :-) my wife goes nuts with all the tools.....

my3cents wrote: »
    If its just for dewatering then https://www.amazon.co.uk/151652-Heavy-Submersible-Clean-Dirty/dp/B01LWY1VO8/ (plenty of others to choose from on Amazon) will do the job for around €35 delivered and its very similar to the Lidl/Aldi ones possibly less powerful I haven't been out to check the rating plate on mine from Lidl.

Head isn't great but you will get a good flow if you attach a 25mm hose pipe, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WWBDP0M/ is cheap and chearful (but recommended) however you just have to order and wait for them to arrive as they are never in stock.

Then you can make life really easy for yourself by using quick fit couplings, pick suitable sizes from here and here. Note the couplings will join different pipe sizes as the mating faces are all standard and different makes will also join together the original brand name would be Geka couplings.

I seen that one, I was concerned as it was only 400w....based on what I found on google the Aldi/Lidl one seems to be 1100w.

i would guess the more power the more water per min?

I seen that one, I was concerned as it was only 400w....based on what I found on google the Aldi/Lidl one seems to be 1100w.

i would guess the more power the more water per min?

With pumps there are a good few things to bear in mind but generally more power is greater flow and often greater head.

I have one pump (an old Clark iirc) that has a great flow head and pressure but if you reduce the hose size from 1 inch down to half and inch it just about stops working even with next to no head, put a garden spray nozzle on the half inch hose and it just stops working completely. The lidl pump works much better on half inch but is even better still with the full 1 inch delivery pipe.

A pump that is designed to accept some solids won't give you as much head or flow as the same sized pump designed for clean water. The problem with dirty water pumps is that there has to be room for the particles in the water to flow easily around the impeller and that kills the pumps efficiency.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terratek-1100W-TWP1100T-Submersible-Cellar/dp/B00DRD2PJQ

So I got the lend of a Aldi one. It is 1100 w nspw1100-inox3 model

Based on google the one above is the same...

Might buy it and see how it goes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terratek-1100W-TWP1100T-Submersible-Cellar/dp/B00DRD2PJQ

So I got the lend of a Aldi one. It is 1100 w nspw1100-inox3 model

Based on google the one above is the same...

Might buy it and see how it goes

Nothing like my one from Lidl but mine is about 10 years old, spec is about the same. Don't forget what I said and get some one inch hose pipe to get the best flow out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shefwedfan wrote:

Something to think about, pumps aren't designed to be left on a shelf or left unused for that matter.

When storing, store upright & try get in the routine of turning it on for 30 seconds every month or so. Without proper storage and maintenance it most likely won't work when you need it. It'll be seized

Nothing like my one from Lidl but mine is about 10 years old, spec is about the same. Don't forget what I said and get some one inch hose pipe to get the best flow out of it.

The one I borrowed looks very similar to it.....

Picture attached

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Something to think about, pumps aren't designed to be left on a shelf or left unused for that matter.

When storing, store upright & try get in the routine of turning it on for 30 seconds every month or so. Without proper storage and maintenance it most likely won't work when you need it. It'll be seized

I last used mine 3 years ago now probably ten years old and it was fine its stored in its own box on its side. Just make sure its dry when you store it and store it dry. If you are sucking up contaminated water then make sure you flush it through with clean water and then dry it before storage. Most have 3 screws that hold the base in place. Remove them and you have access to the impeller and can clean of any crap that might have built up and remove corrosion if its a metal impeller.
    The one I borrowed looks very similar to it.....

Picture attached

Thats probably the same as some of the more recent Lidl pumps mine is the one with the green plastic body and black base and handle, 600 W, its not even on the list of manuals Lidl have. Just been out to check and its an FTP 600/7 date of manufacture 2007.

Might be something suitable here...

Screwfix - pumps etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sorry for butting in but could anyone recommend an inline pump for connecting to an ibc tank.
    I got a 400w silverline submersible one last week.
    Worked once,I left it submerged for a few days and now it just trips the trip switch.

• Advertisement

That one will do the job quite well (no pun intended) but beware those flat hoses tend to go flat and close up if you have to bend them around corners. Fine on long curves but not so good if you need to make a tight bend. They are better for straight runs from surface pumps which is what they are usually used for.

That one will do the job quite well (no pun intended) but beware those flat hoses tend to go flat and close up if you have to bend them around corners. Fine on long curves but not so good if you need to make a tight bend. They are better for straight runs from surface pumps which is what they are usually used for.

Thanks, any other options?

Thanks, any other options?

If you are in no hurry then get the cheap one I listed earlier it normally arrives in about 6 weeks, its never afaik ever been in stock, I had it on my wish list for over a year before I finally ordered two.

The expensive option that is always in stock is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AXKYLQK/ its a very good hose pipe, I have both, the expensive one is much better and almost kink free if you handle it right.

Edit>Just so you know 25 meters of one inch hose pipe is fairly heavy and takes a good bit of handling, forget trying to roll it up into a roll anything like the size it comes when new. After emptying (important as it holds a lot of water) roll them up in big near 3 ft wide rolls then tie them off in 4 places evenly around the roll.

Happy days this morning, I went to Lidl to get the submersible pump....scanned and walked out the door....was home before I noticed I had got for 29.99 instead of the 49.99.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Advertisement