Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test issue

Options
  • 13-08-2018 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,

Bit of a problem.

I've been driving for the last 4 years but cant afford to insure my car this year because I'm on a provisional licence and they are quoting me through the balls.
    (3500 lowest I can find because of having 3 points)
    I cant lie to save my life and really dont want to either, besides the price wouldn't be that big a difference I'd say.

I reckon I'd be able to pass the full licence test so it'd bring the price down, but without insurance on my car I'm fairly screwed.

I should have done it all along but put it off as always which has left me in this situation.

I was told I could use a driving instructors car as their insurance would cover me for it.
    Anyone know anything about that?

I did a google search alright but it just shows just the one company that lets people use their car for it.
    I have my 12 lessons done a long time ago so dont know if they'd even let me as I didn't do the lessons through them back then.
    I'll call them when I can afford credit but was hoping maybe someone here might know of something I can do

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭StonedRaider

You could use any registered driving school/instructors car for the test. Should cost apprx €60 to include the insurance cover and time needed to complete your test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I’d doubt there’s an instructor in the country would let their car be used for the test for only €60.

Most instructors will let their car be hired for test but only after having seen you drive in advance of your test. Car hire for test generally starts around €100

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

SideBoob wrote: »
    Hey,

Bit of a problem.

I've been driving for the last 4 years but cant afford to insure my car this year because I'm on a provisional licence and they are quoting me through the balls.
    (3500 lowest I can find because of having 3 points)
    I cant lie to save my life and really dont want to either, besides the price wouldn't be that big a difference I'd say.

I reckon I'd be able to pass the full licence test so it'd bring the price down, but without insurance on my car I'm fairly screwed.

I should have done it all along but put it off as always which has left me in this situation.

I was told I could use a driving instructors car as their insurance would cover me for it.
    Anyone know anything about that?

I did a google search alright but it just shows just the one company that lets people use their car for it.
    I have my 12 lessons done a long time ago so dont know if they'd even let me as I didn't do the lessons through them back then.
    I'll call them when I can afford credit but was hoping maybe someone here might know of something I can do

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

You're totally taking the pi$$...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Best advice and money spent for you to pass test would be take a fresh course of driving lessons from a good reputable driving school and then you get to use the same car for the test.. yes you say that you did lessons a long time back..WELL we all forget things and pick up bad habits.. those lessons are pasthistory and given that you already have 3 penalty points and think that you're an ok driver is clearly an issue that you need to rectify with fresh lessons and do test in same car..
    Simply arguing whether you will need to spend 60 or 100 to jump into a driving school car just for the test certainly won't work out ..
    Best of luck.

Advertisement