Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless shelter set a light

• 13-08-2018 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

I am living on charlemont street in apartments. Behind our building stands the old Charlemont street flat complex on the far side of that is a homeless shelter for what I can make out for young males and couples.

Tonight rumor has it a resident set his room a blaze and there seems to be a bad fire now.

I hope all the people are safe, Govt will wanna hope this isn’t fatal or will have serious questions to answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

And that would be the Government’s fault how exactly??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

It's not the government's fault if some loon decides to set the place alight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

So whose fault is it so? It cant be hers.

We don’t know the full facts yet, maybe Leo was seen running from the building with a box of matches and can of petrol in his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I am living on charlemont street in apartments. Behind our building stands the old Charlemont street flat complex on the far side of that is a homeless shelter for what I can make out for young males and couples.

Tonight rumor has it a resident set his room a blaze and there seems to be a bad fire now.

I hope all the people are safe, Govt will wanna hope this isn’t fatal or will have serious questions to answer.

Cracking tune, cheers for that OP, it’s been a while since I was reminded of it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

The building doesn’t exactly look fit for purpose though, it looks old and ran down.

• Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

Just set the gaff ablaze here. It's the government's fault. Better get a new house.

Just set the gaff ablaze here. It's the government's fault. Better get a new house.

Ah yeah cause that’s why people do it. What about mental health issues here. This is a problem with this country.

• Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

Ah yeah cause that’s why people do it. What about mental health issues here. This is a problem with this country.

Mentals should be in the asylums. Stop em burning down the doss houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

And that would be the Government’s fault how exactly??

The housing crisis is certainly their fault. Or, to be more precise, the fault of those who voted for them.

• Advertisement

The housing crisis is certainly their fault. Or, to be more precise, the fault of those who voted for them.

But how would this specific incident be their fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

But how would this specific incident be their fault?

It’s not. It’s probably the fault of some arsehole with nothing better to do. But of course the wretched parasites who make more than a good living labeling idiots like this as having mental health issues will blame the rest of us in society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Man burns down public building. Fncking government putting him in a flammable burning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The GAA have been very quiet about this.

So whose fault is it so? It cant be hers.

This sums up the world since 2016.
    There always has to be someone to blame because bad stuff doesn't just happen apparently.

Why do you think there should be someone to blame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This sums up the world since 2016.
    There always has to be someone to blame because bad stuff doesn't just happen apparently.

Why do you think there should be someone to blame?

In fairness the person who lit the match is to blame.

In fairness the person who lit the match is to blame.

Nobody is saying he or she isn't, but s building in such dilapidated condition shouldn't be used to push men and women into that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Is it too soon to refer to the former inhabitants as "survivors"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nobody is saying he or she isn't, but s building in such dilapidated condition shouldn't be used to push men and women into that's the case

What do you suggest, fcuking them out to sleep in the rain on the footpath? (which probably won't burn).

People can still burn down modern buildings too ya know.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What do you suggest, fcuking them out to sleep in the rain on the footpath? (which probably won't burn).

People can still burn down modern buildings too ya know.

No, having services fit for purpose for vulnerable people or is that too much to ask

• Advertisement

No, having services fit for purpose for vulnerable people or is that too much to ask

It is when they burn the feckin buildings down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

How do we know it was dilapidated ?

Sometimes very nice buildings go up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Windsor_Castle_fire

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-28112373

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/10/mackintosh-building-will-be-rebuilt-says-art-school-director - twice.

It is when they burn the feckin buildings down.

So what do you suggest? Let them sleep on the footpath as you stated above

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't understand you. You've claimed someone burned down a homeless shelter. And now complain enough isn't being done to assist the homeless. What was the shelter for?

The only person I'd like to sleep sleeping on the footpath is the scumbag who set the building on fire. In fact, that would be too good for them.

But lets be realistic. Pretty much every residential building will burn if you try to set it on fire. And blaming the government is a bit stupid in this situation.

I don't understand you. You've claimed someone burned down a homeless shelter. And now complain enough isn't being done to assist the homeless. What was the shelter for?

No I haven't. I've stated that more is needed.

No I haven't. I've stated that more is needed.

More of pretty much everything is needed. But we don't live in Utopia. There isn't enough money to provide more of everything. And there certainly isn't enough money for everything when dumb ar5eholes burn stuff down.

The only person I'd like to sleep sleeping on the footpath is the scumbag who set the building on fire. In fact, that would be too good for them.

But lets be realistic. Pretty much every residential building will burn if you try to set it on fire. And blaming the government is a bit stupid in this situation.

No it's not. The government are responsible for the housing crisis and homeless epeidemic. They are responsible for limited mental health services, they are responsible for lack of social housing available.

Or am I wrong? Is it mine or your fault.

No it's not. The government are responsible for the housing crisis and homeless epeidemic. They are responsible for limited mental health services, they are responsible for lack of social housing available.

Or am I wrong? Is it mine or your fault.

I'll agree with you that it's the Government's fault regarding the limited mental health services.

The Government can't be expected to give social housing to every applicant that rocks up asking for one. That's not very realistic unless you live in North Korea.

What changes would you like the Government to make to increase the amount of social housing? If we put you in charge, what would you do?

• Advertisement

Is there any evidence that the guy had mental health issues that caused him to do this?

You're not being compassionate (or whatever the fnck you think it is) by excusing arson by diagnosing mental illness in the perpetrator. You're just excusing a scumbag and marginalising the unwell.

Even when someone's illness could be a factor in something like this, it's pretty rare for it to nullify their own responsibility. You've a responsibility for your own actions and part of that is seeking treatment or even containment if you're not well.

I'll agree with you that it's the Government's fault regarding the limited mental health services.

The Government can't be expected to give social housing to every applicant that rocks up asking for one. That's not very realistic unless you live in North Korea.

What changes would you like the Government to make to increase the amount of social housing? If we put you in charge, what would you do?

Would do as all national action plans do worldwide, anything representing a ghost estate that has been claimed as bad bank debts I'd redistribute to homeless services such as Fingal SDCC,DCC and other country wide bodies to combat the housing crisis. Some people are on the list 15 years plus

Is there any evidence that the guy had mental health issues that caused him to do this?

You're not being compassionate (or whatever the fnck you think it is) by excusing arson by diagnosing mental illness in the perpetrator. You're just excusing a scumbag and marginalising the unwell.

Even when someone's illness could be a factor in something like this, it's pretty rare for it to nullify their own responsibility. You've a responsibility for your own actions and part of that is seeking treatment or even containment if you're not well.

Just from chatting to people who are there as we brought out food and tea for those who were sitting outside without their beds

Just from chatting to people who are there as we brought out food and tea for those who were sitting outside without their beds
    Well that was nice of you

Well that was nice of you

It wasn't out of wanting to be nice, just felt sorry for them. There was couple's, young guys and some pregnant women on the street stadning around till early hours.

It wasn't out of wanting to be nice, just felt sorry for them. There was couple's, young guys and some pregnant women on the street stadning around till early hours.
    I wasn't being sarcastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Would this person not have set their room on fire if it was a nice building?

Would do as all national action plans do worldwide, anything representing a ghost estate that has been claimed as bad bank debts I'd redistribute to homeless services such as Fingal SDCC,DCC and other country wide bodies to combat the housing crisis. Some people are on the list 15 years plus

How many ghost estates are in Dublin? They are in places that nobody wants to live in. And given the pickup in the price of housing, many of these ghost estates have now been finished. And therefore aren't ghost estates any more.

Would this person not have set their room on fire if it was a nice building?

I think guy had issues and being in such building was not the correct decision.

I think guy had issues and being in such building was not the correct decision.

So where should he have been? Are the Government supposed to be psychic and know that he was going to burn down the building?

So where should he have been? Are the Government supposed to be psychic and know that he was going to burn down the building?

A secure unit if what is being said in the area is to go by. Well documented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

All well and good,but try getting many of the Homeless to relocate to any of these Ghost Estates,and you'll get a better idea of the bind many Ministers find themselves in...

The current debate concerning Ms Margaret Cash and her decision to choose Tallaght Garda Station in preference to a property in darkest County Meath might also have a bearing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/half-of-families-sleeping-in-garda-stations-are-travellers-or-romanian-1.3594025

Homelessness is nothing new to Dublin or most Irish Cities,what is new is how it is being used by a variety of political and social activist groups to score Political points over whatever Government happens to be in place.

One wonders if an Anarchaic regime would solve any of our problems better than all of this Democratic Shytt ...? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    All well and good,but try getting many of the Homeless to relocate to any of these Ghost Estates,and you'll get a better idea of the bind many Ministers find themselves in...

The current debate concerning Ms Margaret Cash and her decision to choose Tallaght Garda Station in preference to a property in darkest County Meath might also have a bearing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/half-of-families-sleeping-in-garda-stations-are-travellers-or-romanian-1.3594025

Homelessness is nothing new to Dublin or most Irish Cities,what is new is how it is being used by a variety of political and social activist groups to score Political points over whatever Government happens to be in place.

One wonders if an Anarchaic regime would solve any of our problems better than all of this Democratic Shytt ...? ;)

This might be a silly question but why in God's name are we housing Romanian nationals ?

Can't they be directed to home in say Romania ??

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Je suis Charlemont

What exactly do you mean by a secure unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Had anyone reported him to the relevant authorities?? Or should Mental Health Practitioners use their psychic senses to find out if someone is unwell/psychotic??

How many ghost estates are in Dublin? They are in places that nobody wants to live in. And given the pickup in the price of housing, many of these ghost estates have now been finished. And therefore aren't ghost estates any more.

There is a huge amount in West Dublin 2 entire estates in Ongar area that a housing action group picketed 2 weeks ago.

Had anyone reported him to the relevant authorities?? Or should Mental Health Practitioners use their psychic senses to find out if someone is unwell/psychotic??

I'd say 99.9% that his illness would of been reported by the services he used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd say 99.9% that his illness would of been reported by the services he used.

I came back to say that maybe younger folk here do not remember when we, here and in the UK, had huge mental hospitals with full facilities so that disturbed and overstressed people with existing or new mental illnesses could be safe, and the public also.

Then the powers that be decided that "care in the community" is the thing- even though often the community did not and does not want to take that on.

There was old ones who had been in there foe decades suddenly cast out into a world they could not cope with and folk with crises they could not cope with in hostels.

And see some of the comments here...

What use reporting mental health concerns then doing nothing?

Believe me I have seen some terrible cases. Folk discharged from hospital Friday night with nowhere to go . or sent to B and B in a strange town

Graces7 wrote: »
    I came back to say that maybe younger folk here do not remember when we, here and in the UK, had huge mental hospitals with full facilities so that disturbed and overstressed people with existing or new mental illnesses could be safe, and the public also.

Then the powers that be decided that "care in the community" is the thing- even though often the community did not and does not want to take that on.

There was old ones who had been in there foe decades suddenly cast out into a world they could not cope with and folk with crises they could not cope with in hostels.

Believe me I have seen some terrible cases. Folk discharged from hospital Friday night with nowhere to go . or sent to B and B in a strange town

Or this: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2662780/Schizophrenic-stabbed-man-82-times-in-front-of-children.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Graces7 wrote: »

If someone is detainable under the MH Act and the Gardai are notified, they will be detained.

• Advertisement
Advertisement