Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security deposit request

Options
  • 13-08-2018 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need some help with this. I missed payment on my last electric bill, the new one has arrived and includes a security deposit request of €300. I understand why this has been charged, but don't have the means to pay it. My wife and I are students and struggle financially during the summer. Is there some arrangement we can come to with this? Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi sparkthatbled,

Thank you for getting in touch.

If you just reinstate your direct debit, this will remove the security deposit charge.

The balance will be collected approximately two weeks after the direct debit is reset. We recommend contacting us to set up a payment plan if necessary (ensure to do so immediately upon resetting the direct debit so that there is sufficient notice for the bank not to collect the full balance).

Direct debit can be set up through the customer's Electric Ireland Online Billing. If you do not have Online Billing, the Customer Service team can reset your direct debit on 1850 372 372 or 01 8529534.

We are unable to carry out processes with bank details here on Social Media, however if you set up your direct debit again through Online Billing and would like us to review the account afterwards, do send us a private message confirming the relevant Electric Ireland account number, stating that you are the account-holder and confirming your name, address and your telephone number (for security/verification).

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Thanks for the quick reply! I will set up the direct debit again. If the security deposit is removed, I should be able to manage the rest. Do you know if this also affects the gas billing or is that separate? I have a gas bill due to be debited on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I didn't read anywhere that the OP said that they had previously paid by direct debit?

OP request Electric Irelands policy statement for deposits https://www.cru.ie/home/customer-care/energy/customer-protection/
    Suppliers must have a fair and reasonable policy in relation to deposits. The policy must be available to anyone who requests it.

I'd also go through the complaints procedure here so you can escalate it if you don't get a satisfactory reply from Electric Ireland.

I'd be interested to know as you are already a customer if they can retrospectively impose a deposit. If they can and you have to pay it then don't forget you can claim it back in 12 months. It really looks like an exercise to make you pay by direct debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi sparkthatbled,

We are happy to advise.

Do you require more time to pay your gas bill? If so, we advise contacting your bank to put a stop on Wednesday's direct debit payment, and then message us to set up a new payment date for it.

With regard to Electric Ireland's security deposit policy for residential accounts: a new customer to Electric Ireland is required to pay the security deposit at the start of their registration (this is refunded after 14 months of cleared bills) unless they set up direct debit or have a Pay As You Go (PAYG) meter installed. Once the customer chooses one of the latter two payment methods, no security deposit payment is required. However, if a customer's direct debit is cancelled due to non payment during the first 14 months, the security deposit is automatically applied to the account, as direct debit is no longer the payment method on it. This charge can be removed by the customer reinstating their direct debit.

After 14 months, there is no requirement for the customer to pay the security deposit if they change their payment method from direct debit to manual. However, there are savings for paying by direct debit, and new customers to Electric Ireland receive a bonus credit for paying by direct debit (€150 for electricity alone, or €200 for electricity plus gas).

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement