Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plague of Ants!

Options
  • 13-08-2018 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

My garden, (it's an acre), seems to be absolutely infested with ants; at least two nests of them per square metre wherever I dig. There must be billions of them.
    Is there anything that can be done to reduce their numbers?
    It's a heavy clay soil which is obviously dry and hard right now , but in normal years is quite waterlogged for at least three seasons.

Comments

Are they causing a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Are they causing a problem?
    When digging in vegetable patch and exposing an ants' nests I had a few of them go up my legs and sting me, when filling in holes from soil tests, (for planning application), I got more bites on various parts of my body, and my grandchildren can't play on the grass without getting stung.
    Luckily, touch wood, none have found their way into the house yet, apart from one that fell out of my t-shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

I have a fairly large garden and was infested with red ants last year, we were all being bitten on a fairly regular occurrence including my young kids.

This year I invested a large quantity of ant bait stations and whenever I saw a few ants together I put a bait station at this location. It seems to have worked well and even though we still have a few ants about its definitely gotten rid by at least 80% compared to last year and we can go out and play in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

That sounds interesting, I'll take a look and see where I can get them at the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ladybird37

That sounds interesting, I'll take a look and see where I can get them at the best price.

I'm not sure if they still have them but I saw lots of ant powder / bait stations in Dealz recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement