Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine BroadBand with Ubiquiti Access Point Question.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

eeimcaw wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I'm looking to improve my wifi signal downstairs.
    I have ran a cat5 cable from the router in the attic down to the sitting room where i need it most.

I'm with Imagine so i have no user access to the Router(from ipconfig its a Realtek Wireless LAN 802.1n)

The Plan is to buy the ubiquiti access point(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491760190&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+lite)

But i was just wondering do i need to have admin access to the router to be able to setup the access point down stairs?

Has anyone any experience with this setup with imagine as the provider?

Thanks
    Mick

No you don't need to access the router at all. Just configure it as an access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theBOFH

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking to improve my wifi signal downstairs.
    I have ran a cat5 cable from the router in the attic down to the sitting room where i need it most.

I'm with Imagine so i have no user access to the Router(from ipconfig its a Realtek Wireless LAN 802.1n)

The Plan is to buy the ubiquiti access point(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491760190&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+lite)

But i was just wondering do i need to have admin access to the router to be able to setup the access point down stairs?

Has anyone any experience with this setup with imagine as the provider?

Thanks
    Mick

No you don't need to access the router at all. Just configure it as an access point.

It will need a controller for that though.....either a cloud key or the unify server running on a computer, at least for the initial setup

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/UniFi-AP-without-Controller-software/td-p/301678

Just flagging it in case you were expecting to be able to connect to a webui on the AP

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭eeimcaw

Set up the Access Point last night.
    - Installed the unifi app on my phone.
    - Connected the AP with the PoE adaptor that was included(have to have your own ethernet cable)
    - Very easy to set-up and had it up and running in less than 10 minutes.
    - Atleast double improvement on speeds now in the sitting room.

Overall very happy with the AP.

Probably will setup the controller software at a later date on the laptop to see if can tweak the config abit, was expecting the range to be a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Set up the Access Point last night.
    - Installed the unifi app on my phone.
    - Connected the AP with the PoE adaptor that was included(have to have your own ethernet cable)
    - Very easy to set-up and had it up and running in less than 10 minutes.
    - Atleast double improvement on speeds now in the sitting room.

Overall very happy with the AP.

Probably will setup the controller software at a later date on the laptop to see if can tweak the config abit, was expecting the range to be a bit better.

5ghz will have half the range of 2.4ghz but better speeds.
    If you name your bands differently you'll see your phone hop between them as you lose 5ghz coverage. Maybe even your phone is clinging to the 5ghz. My advise is to make sure you locate the AP in a good location like an open wall or ceiling in the room you use most. You can always add a second if you have bad coverage in other areas.

Advertisement