Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What it is like to live in Roscommon?

Options
  • 13-08-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44 Bluebells121

New to this and needing some advice please. Wondering what it is like to live in Roscommon as I am not familiar with the area at all, good areas, bad areas please. Children are grown up so won't need to look at school catchment area. Priorities would be good broadband and access to amenities, friendly area, and space for dogs. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

New to this and needing some advice please. Wondering what it is like to live in Roscommon as I am not familiar with the area at all, good areas, bad areas please. Children are grown up so won't need to look at school catchment area. Priorities would be good broadband and access to amenities, friendly area, and space for dogs. Thank you.

Roscommon town or the county in general ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

yabadabado wrote: »
    Roscommon town or the county in general ?

Great question as there are some great spots that would tick the boxes you mentioned and others that are basically wildernesses from those perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

One of the best things about Roscommon is there are no real bad areas, as in anti social issues on a regular basis. Probably one of the few counties in Ireland that can say that. Are you looking to move into town or the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's like any place. It's what you make of it yourself.
    Best broadband in urban areas I'd imagine.
    Every town has plenty of choice for recreational activities and groups.
    Roscommon Town has everything you'll need and its central location means it's accessible to bigger towns and cities so to have access to everything you want.

Plenty of area's have fibre now especially in the south of the county,max speed of 1000mb.Check out the fibre rollout map.

OP do you have a car ,that will have a huge bearing on where you live,very poor public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Bluebells121

Hi Yabadabado,
    Sorry for the delay in answering, there were some technical issues. Yes I do drive, so probably wouldn't use public transport, thank you for your help.

Addle wrote: »
    It's like any place. It's what you make of it yourself.
    Best broadband in urban areas I'd imagine.
    Every town has plenty of choice for recreational activities and groups.
    Roscommon Town has everything you'll need and its central location means it's accessible to bigger towns and cities so to have access to everything you want.
    Thank you for your help.

Thank you Addle.

justshane wrote: »

One of the best things about Roscommon is there are no real bad areas, as in anti social issues on a regular basis. Probably one of the few counties in Ireland that can say that. Are you looking to move into town or the county?
    I would be looking to move to the county, can you recommend any specific areas?

It's a pretty big county ,have you any preferences?
    Town ,village,remote area?
    North or South of the county etc ?
    So you need to be near anywhere in particular for work etc

• Advertisement

We would be working from home, would be looking for somewhere with plenty of space for our dogs. We are not familiar with the area at all, any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

We would be working from home, would be looking for somewhere with plenty of space for our dogs. We are not familiar with the area at all, any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

You'll need a fairly fat bankroll in the South of the county to get that. Over nearer Ballaghdereen, or in more rural areas will give you more ground for your buck. Or up East of Boyle. Of course, in these areas, cheaper land/house prices may be offset by lack of services.

Thank you TomOnBoard for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Roscommon town is great town for shopping and some lovely cafes there. We live a lot closer to galway city but find Roscommon easier to get about, free parking and a lovely park to go for a walk. Its a real country town with a cattle mart and some stalls on market day. Castlecoote if i have spelt it correctly is a nice village 5 min outside the town which is well worth a look.

popa smurf wrote: »
    Roscommon town is great town for shopping and some lovely cafes there. We live a lot closer to galway city but find Roscommon easier to get about, free parking and a lovely park to go for a walk. Its a real country town with a cattle mart and some stalls on market day. Castlecoote if i have spelt it correctly is a nice village 5 min outside the town which is well worth a look.
    Thank you Popa Smurf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

What is the Glenview estate on the Galway Road Roscommon Town like?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I live in Boyle (not from Roscommon either) and I think it would tick a lot of the OPs boxes. Housing here is some of the cheapest in the country, broadband is good in the town. I do quite a bit of work from home and have no issues. Lough Key Forest Park is on the outskirts of town and is great for walking the dogs ( I have two myself). There is also a canal in the town that is nice for walks. The area is safe and generally crime free. Half an hour from Sligo if you want to shop in a bigger town. There is a supervalu supermarket in town, but 10 mins away in Carrick on Shannon there is another supervalu, tesco, aldi and lidl, so lots of choice. Is also on the Sligo-Dublin bus and train routes, with a train station in the town. There are also two hubs in town for hot desking, renting office space etc for anyone that wants to make use of those facilities rather than working from home at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

A lot of the houses aren't owner occupied, so it's not as well kept as some of the other estates in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭148multi

<stop trolling, moderator>

Advertisement