Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Thailand Island???

• 13-08-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey everyone, myself and my boyfriend (we're 29) are going to Thailand for 3 weeks in Nov/Dec. We have a hike, bike and kayak group trip booked for two weeks and then we have a week to spare and looking for some suggestions on the best island or islands to go to! We are very active and thought about booking into a fitness bootcamp resort in Phuket but didn't want to be so tied down, and also they work out quite expensive. Also, I have heard reports that Phuket is not the best island - heard it's a bit of a tacky/party island?
    We are not mad into partying so we are looking for a nice hotel on a nice island, but somewhere we can get out and do things each day - maybe try muay thai for a couple of days, yoga, diving, go running etc. Essentially we want to chill (so not a strict bootcamp) but we also get restless sitting around for too long. Having moved around so frequently for two weeks we'd like to stay put in the same hotel for the week or possibly do 1/2 week somewhere, 1/2 week somewhere else (but wouldn't move more than that).
    Appreciate any suggestions !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Hey everyone, myself and my boyfriend (we're 29) are going to Thailand for 3 weeks in Nov/Dec. We have a hike, bike and kayak group trip booked for two weeks and then we have a week to spare and looking for some suggestions on the best island or islands to go to! We are very active and thought about booking into a fitness bootcamp resort in Phuket but didn't want to be so tied down, and also they work out quite expensive. Also, I have heard reports that Phuket is not the best island - heard it's a bit of a tacky/party island?
    We are not mad into partying so we are looking for a nice hotel on a nice island, but somewhere we can get out and do things each day - maybe try muay thai for a couple of days, yoga, diving, go running etc. Essentially we want to chill (so not a strict bootcamp) but we also get restless sitting around for too long. Having moved around so frequently for two weeks we'd like to stay put in the same hotel for the week or possibly do 1/2 week somewhere, 1/2 week somewhere else (but wouldn't move more than that).
    Appreciate any suggestions !!

Bootcamp wouldn't be my thing but i get the activity bit. Have you done a scuba diving course before. PADI open water course in Ko Tao and then more activities in the bigger island of Ko Samui?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Don't do an open water course in Koh Tao. Too many bad dive centres and fresh instructors with little to no experience.

I would say Koh Lanta fits your description fairly well. It's a great island. I lived there for a couple of months. It's just big enough and busy enough, much more laid back than many of the other popular islands while still being more accessible than the lesser known places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lola Juliet

Thanks for the replies guys. Any thoughts on Koh Phi Phi? I like the idea of a slightly smaller Island... Koh Lanta looks much bigger in comparison and closer to the mainland so I'm wondering would it be a lot busier. I probably sound like I'm contradicting myself but we would like somewhere chilled and quiet with nice beaches but still with options to get out and be active.
    Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys. Any thoughts on Koh Phi Phi? I like the idea of a slightly smaller Island... Koh Lanta looks much bigger in comparison and closer to the mainland so I'm wondering would it be a lot busier. I probably sound like I'm contradicting myself but we would like somewhere chilled and quiet with nice beaches but still with options to get out and be active.
    Thanks!
    Lanta is way quieter than Phi Phi. It's a big island but much of it is pretty much empty whereas Phi phi is tiny but completely full! That also means the beaches are very long and it's easy to find a spot all to yourself! Honestly I think it fits your description of what you're after fairly perfectly.

A lot of people go to Lanta to relax after Phi Phi.

If you want small and quiet in that region check Koh Lipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

My cousin has a fitness resort in Koh SamuI, it's fitness & Muai Thai. I was there for three months in January. Pm me for more info ifrom you'd like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Why not do something different and head up to Chiang Mai?

it's lovely and relaxing....great city to cycle around....some decent nightlife but nothing hectic

The nighttime stalls are exceptional for buying clothes etc....

You can do day trips up the mountains and mountain biking...

Otherwise we loved Railay Beach....also Phi Phi....it has been a few years since we went over their....

Last time we went we decided to go to Koh Samui etc.....did not like it as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Ronney

I'd suggest Koh Tao and do a Padi diving course (thing about 4 days for the 1st level Open Water). I know a poster above has not recommended it but its probably the place the majority of backpackers do it.

Maybe get away from the dive resorts located around the main beach and head to the south round Buddah View

Tao/Phanang/Samui are all a boat trip from each other. Phanang is home of the full moon and Samuai would be the biggest and a lot more commercial with McDonald and Burger kings on the main strip

Samuai would have some cheaper posh resorts to stay in away from the main strip. Also has an airport to fly back to Bangkok.

Phi Phi in comparison is very small, no cars type of place. Great to chill but still have a bit of night life. Visit/not be allowed visit "the Beach" and the usual diving just not on the commercial scale of tao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Phuket and Phi Phi will be overrun with drunken Aussies in December, more so now that their default getaway, Bali, has taken a hit with the recent earthquake.

I'd second Lanta - still pretty unspoilt and attracts a nice crowd at that time of year. (A lot of very active Scandinavians especially). Koh Lipe is beautiful but can be dead at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Stupify

Ko Chang is a nice island and has great weather in November.

Ronney wrote: »
    I'd suggest Koh Tao and do a Padi diving course (thing about 4 days for the 1st level Open Water). I know a poster above has not recommended it but its probably the place the majority of backpackers do it.
    Just a bit of background to my suggestion not to do the course in Koh Tao. I actually did my own open water course there a few years back. Since then I've gone on to become a PADI instructor, working at it full time for the last few years all over the world, including briefly back in Koh Tao!

Of all the places I've been, it's the last I'd recommend learning to dive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Stupify

Just a bit of background to my suggestion not to do the course in Koh Tao. I actually did my own open water course there a few years back. Since then I've gone on to become a PADI instructor, working at it full time for the last few years all over the world, including briefly back in Koh Tao!

Of all the places I've been, it's the last I'd recommend learning to dive.

Isn't Koh Tao the place with all the murders too? It's meant to be run by mafia style families there or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Honestly go to the Philippines instead. Thailand is overrun with tourists and while the Philippines has its fair share its more unspoilt than Thailand
    I went 2 years ago and it was the best holiday I've ever been on. 3 weeks island hopping. We swam with Whalesharks, canyoneered through rainforest and jumped off waterfalls, not to mention kayaking and relaxing on the most perfect beaches you will ever hope to find.
    check out the below video for a glimpse of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYWj-ly7nR8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

seannash wrote: »
    Honestly go to the Philippines instead. Thailand is overrun with tourists and while the Philippines has its fair share its more unspoilt than Thailand
    I went 2 years ago and it was the best holiday I've ever been on. 3 weeks island hopping. We swam with Whalesharks, canyoneered through rainforest and jumped off waterfalls, not to mention kayaking and relaxing on the most perfect beaches you will ever hope to find.
    check out the below video for a glimpse of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYWj-ly7nR8

Given that they've organised the majority of the trip (and booked flights I presume) I doubt if some random promotional video about a different country is going to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Given that they've organised the majority of the trip (and booked flights I presume) I doubt if some random promotional video about a different country is going to help.
    Whoops,
    absolutely correct. I missed that part.
    Ignore my post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hi there, I'm not long back from Thailand intrepid) but did not do the bike, Hike and kayak one. We did the biking day in Chaing Mai and I absolutely loved it. I think the agency arranging it were called grasshopper and it was excellent. We did kayaking as well another day from Ko Pitak

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Seconding Koh Chang, amazing spot, shout if you need any recommendations.

Advertisement