Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should there be fat tax for fat flyers? Mod Note Post One.

• 13-08-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

^^Mod Note Even tough we had similar threads here before we'll keep this open for now just remember don't be to much of a pr*ck.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And what is your opinion OP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

I take it you are not obese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Having considered your broad and well-thought out proposal OP, I'm going to say meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rmorrissey63

Stanford wrote: »
    I take it you are not obese?

I'm not obese lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Flyers?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

Yes there should be. I'd save a fortune and I'd get to laugh at them whine. If only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm not obese lol.

And your opinion on the subject is??????

Patww79 wrote: »
    Flyers?

Pants, like huge pants for obese people.

Pants, like huge pants for obese people.

So you're taxing trousers? Or are flyers the people who wear said pants?

Yes there should be. I'd save a fortune and I'd get to laugh at them whine. If only!

Fat people have 100% control over their weight and why should the normal taxpayer pay for their horrible and unhealthy lifestyle?

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    So you're taxing trousers? Or are flyers the people who wear said pants?

"Fat flyers" meaning XXL trousers made for obese people.

And your opinion on the subject is??????

I think they should be taxed extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

doubt they would have the energy to get off the couch and use one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fat people have 100% control over their weight and why should the normal taxpayer pay for their horrible and unhealthy lifestyle?

What does being a taxpayer have to do with any of this? I thought it was with regard to flying, not the health service.

So the tax would be applied when these trousers are purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

^^

Absolutely. Because another expense obese people need to add to their budget, apart from medical bills for treating their issues which caused them to be obese, is a fat tax. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

^^

We could also have judgemental tax for people who comment on and judge others without knowing their issues or back grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There should be a tax on fat fryers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

I think they should be taxed extra.

Would that be in line with a tax on stupidity?

• Advertisement

We could also have judgemental tax for people who comment on and judge others without knowing their issues or back grounds.

Why should their background be a burden to everyone else? No one has time for stories and some of the most infamous athletes in the world come from a past of poverty and abuse, whats their excuse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

I thought I miss read fat fryer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Maybe some kind of recycling charge but not sure about a tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

There should a seat in the check in area much as there is a cabin bag size checker. Overflow the seat and you have to purchase another seat. Why should I have to suffer a lard ads overflowing into my seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Why should their background be a burden to everyone else? No one has time for stories and some of the most infamous athletes in the world come from a past of poverty and abuse, whats their excuse?

Poverty,abuse and anything else you can think of. What business is it of yours?

Poverty,abuse and anything else you can think of. What business is it of yours?

So why can't they look up to these famous athletes and use them as some form of motivation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

That's not a thing

Not a fat tax as such, but I’d like to see separate seating for the fatties. Economy +Size or whatever.

Only available to fatties (to stop people booking just for the extra seat width and elbow room) and those with otherwise disproportionate body girth. If you’re fat, book one of those seats. If you don’t and you’re hoping to be seated in economy, there should be something like that basket the airline staff use to check if your luggage is within maximum permitted dimensions. Too big and you’re denied boarding or charged a penalty for a reserved tub-seat or whatever.

That way you can have all the pies and the rest of us don’t have to suffer the fat-rolls, almost inevitably quivering like jelly in the bloody middle seat too after boarding last minute because you were stuffing a bagel in one end and pinching off a chocolate log at the other end before final call for passenger Blobby.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Not a fat tax as such, but I’d like to see separate seating for the fatties. Economy +Size or whatever..

That wouldn't work on short haul flights. It would mean less seating in the economy class and a higher price for you, even as a passenger flying economy.

• Advertisement

Not a fat tax as such, but I’d like to see separate seating for the fatties. Economy +Size or whatever.

Only available to fatties (to stop people booking just for the extra seat width and elbow room) and those with otherwise disproportionate body girth. If you’re fat, book one of those seats. If you don’t and you’re hoping to be seated in economy, there should be something like that basket the airline staff use to check if your luggage is within maximum permitted dimensions. Too big and you’re denied boarding or charged a penalty for a reserved tub-seat or whatever.

That way you can have all the pies and the rest of us don’t have to suffer the fat-rolls, almost inevitably quivering like jelly in the bloody middle seat too after boarding last minute because you were stuffing a bagel in one end and pinching off a chocolate log at the other end before final call for passenger Blobby.

Haha, that last paragraph lmao. But the thing about that is, it still kind of encourages it. I mean sure it has the name and shame tag to it but unless they're travelling like 10+ times a year I don't think that would matter to them that much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

If there is any hope of introducing this "Fat Flyer" Tax, Ryan Air will when their present negotiations are finalized. Maybe a combined weight of passenger and baggage both checked-in and hand luggage would be the way to go. (fly)

That wouldn't work on short haul flights. It would mean less seating in the economy class and a higher price for you, even as a passenger flying economy.

I'd gladly pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Maybe print in A5 on both sides

I'd gladly pay it.

In that case if you have no problem paying extra, why not book another seat next to you, so you don't have to suffer (as another posted called it) a fat person next to you?

In that case if you have no problem paying extra, why not book another seat next to you, so you don't have to suffer (as another posted called it) a fat person next to you?

Because I already fit comfortably in one seat.

It's the fat git that's the problem, Gwen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Seems this country has gone obsessed with weight lately. If only the government could tax fat shaming !

Because I already fit comfortably in one seat.

It's the fat git that's the problem, Gwen.

The problem is that you are bothered by a person who often through no fault of their own, is overweight. Why should they pay extra for their illness?

Seems this country has gone obsessed with weight lately. If only the government could tax fat shaming !

No, if anything people should be rewarded for fat shaming. Fat people have full control over what they eat and whether they decide to go for a 15 minute jog every day and burn some fat but no.

I should be allowed to take the piss out of a fat person because they're lazy and I'm not.

The problem is that you are bothered by a person who often through no fault of their own, is overweight. Why should they pay extra for their illness?

Wrong, no one is forcing a fridge down their throat and forcing them to stay inside 24/7. The diseases that do make you gain weight are rare and often controllable and even if you do have one of these rare diseases, they don't make you obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

No, if anything people should be rewarded for fat shaming. Fat people have full control over what they eat and whether they decide to go for a 15 minute jog every day and burn some fat but no.

I should be allowed to take the piss out of a fat person because they're lazy and I'm not.

You should never be allowed to take the piss out of anybody for anything ! People struggle with weight for many reasons. It's not just because they are lazy.

Its attitudes like yours that seem to vindicate bullying someone because they are overweight. Do you know how many children and teenagers in schools get bullied because of their weight? Should children and teenagers be allowed to fat shame other children ?

• Advertisement

Wrong, no one is forcing a fridge down their throat and forcing them to stay inside 24/7. The diseases that do make you gain weight are rare and often controllable and even if you do have one of these rare diseases, they don't make you obese.

I'm going to play along here with your "the diseases are rare" theory. What solution would you propose here for the people who have one of these rare diseases and would be forced to pay a fat tax? How can you tell who has it and who doesn't, especially when it comes to fat shaming, which as you say should be rewarded? Do you have some magical radar that tells you who is fat because they're ill and who is fat because they eat too much?

You should never be allowed to take the piss out of anybody for anything ! People struggle with weight for many reasons. It's not just because they are lazy.

It's because they're lazy. Take my example from earlier, some of the most famous athletes come from a background of poverty and abuse and they didn't make any excuses for themselves?

I'm going to play along here with your "the diseases are rare" theory. What solution would you propose here for the people who have one of these rare diseases and would be forced to pay a fat tax? How can you tell who has it and who doesn't, especially when it comes to fat shaming, which as you say should be rewarded? Do you have some magical radar that tells you who is fat because they're ill and who is fat because they eat too much?

Medical records???

Medical records???

Of course. That means that when you see a fat person on the street, you ask them for their medical records before you walk away with disgust?

Of course. That means that when you see a fat person on the street, you ask them for their medical records before you walk away with disgust?

We're talking about flight taxes, not street taxes.

If only overweight people would get their own weight in control, because most of them could if they made an effort, instead of people looking to the government to somehow handle it. Or looking to passengers to put up with the discomfort of having a fat stranger with the meat sweats overflow into your personal space on an airliner.

Nah, it's only fat shaming anyway because most people rightly are ashamed of being fat. It's normally their own fault. There are very, very few fat people who couldn't fix it for themselves if they only tried. I say shame away. To hell with you if you're embarassed for being fat if I saw you drinking a 20oz. latte and eating cheesecake in Starbucks just before heading to the gate. You want to encroach on my personal space in your bag-o-sausages form when I've paid for the privelege of having my own seat for travel, you can put up with the rebuke.

Pffft.

If I see you eating a kale salad and drinking green tea, I'll cut you some slack, but you're still not putting those pudding-arms into my sides. Nuh-aaah! No, no, no. It's not like you don't know you take up more than one seat space if you're fat. You know it. Buy another seat. This isn't a feel-good-flight. Pay your way and don't impose on someone else, just because they're not fat.

Seriously, have you ever seen the state of some short haul flights in the US when you have nothing but lard-arses crammed side by side in cattle-class seats? They do it to themselves, but it's both the funniest and cruelest of scenarios to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Someone with the sort of rare disease that makes them morbidly obese probably shouldn't be flying.

And I weighed 98 kg yesterday morning (in my red thong, seeing as you ask) I'm a Type 2 diabetic thanks to my former dissolute lifestyle and I would fully support a Ryanair/Aer Fungus weight tax as it just might incentivise me to lose some weight!

Also, I might point out that the diseases that are linked to obesity will not make you a fat **** 24/7 you can burn it off.

We're talking about flight taxes, not street taxes.

You also talk about fat shaming and how it should be rewarded. So I'm asking you how you confirm who deserves to be fat shamed before you fat shame them.

Turnipman wrote: »
    Someone with the sort of rare disease that makes them morbidly obese probably shouldn't be flying.

And I weighed 98 kg yesterday morning (in my red thong, seeing as you ask) I'm a Type 2 diabetic thanks to my former dissolute lifestyle and I would fully support a Ryanair/Aer Fungus weight tax as it just might incentivise me to lose some weight!

We need more people like you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement