Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should there be fat tax for fat flyers? Mod Note Post One.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rmorrissey63

You also talk about fat shaming and how it should be rewarded. So I'm asking you how you confirm who deserves to be fat shamed before you fat shame them.

Everyone that's fat deserves to be fat shamed. Like I said, there isn't a disease out there that will instantly make you obese and force you to adapt to a difference lifestyle for the rest of your life. You can burn it off.

You also talk about fat shaming and how it should be rewarded. So I'm asking you how you confirm who deserves to be fat shamed before you fat shame them.

Maybe rewarded is a bit harsh but there shouldn't a problem with me calling someone fat if they're fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Everyone that's fat deserves to be fat shamed. Like I said, there isn't a disease out there that will instantly make you obese and force you to adapt to a difference lifestyle for the rest of your life. You can burn it off.

That's funny, because a few posts above there were some people who had a rare disease that caused them to gain weight. You must be a delight in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

JayZeus wrote: »
    If only overweight people would get their own weight in control, because most of them could if they made an effort, instead of people looking to the government to somehow handle it. Or looking to passengers to put up with the discomfort of having a fat stranger with the meat sweats overflow into your personal space on an airliner.

Nah, it's only fat shaming anyway because most people rightly are ashamed of being fat. It's normally their own fault. There are very, very few fat people who couldn't fix it for themselves if they only tried. I say shame away. To hell with you if you're embarassed for being fat if I saw you drinking a 20oz. latte and eating cheesecake in Starbucks just before heading to the gate. You want to encroach on my personal space in your bag-o-sausages form when I've paid for the privelege of having my own seat for travel, you can put up with the rebuke.

Pffft.

If I see you eating a kale salad and drinking green tea, I'll cut you some slack, but you're still not putting those pudding-arms into my sides. Nuh-aaah! No, no, no. It's not like you don't know you take up more than one seat space if you're fat. You know it. Buy another seat. This isn't a feel-good-flight. Pay your way and don't impose on someone else, just because they're not fat.

Seriously, have you ever seen the state of some short haul flights in the US when you have nothing but lard-arses crammed side by side in cattle-class seats? They do it to themselves, but it's both the funniest and cruelest of scenarios to look at.

I can understand your point, it's just I don't think fat shaming is right. In most cases people can change their weight. I agree. I just don't think adults fat shaming people sets a good example to our kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

They all do.

(Except me because I'm a victim and will shortly be suing the HSE, Coke, McDonalds, Pizza King and Jacob's Biscuits. No-one ever told me that eating too much pizza and biscuits and sweets and consuming too much alcohol would make me fat - if only I had known :( )

I can understand your point, it's just I don't think fat shaming is right. In most cases people can change their weight. I agree. I just don't think adults fat shaming people sets a good example to our kids.

The problem is, even if all I want is to be left in peace and comfort in my seat for the duration of a flight, the mere fact that the reason I'm being discomforted by someone else being obese means I'm going to be the bad guy in some folks books.

It's not okay for as many people are hideously obese to be so. Someone's going to get 'shamed' when people say those things, even though it's absolutely true. Day to day, I care not. But put some obese sweaty blimp beside me in a confined space and it'll bring that right into focus pretty damned quick.

If you're fat, do something about it. Don't expect people to tell you it's okay and everyone will respect you and blah blah blah. Fix it, and if you can't fix it, don't let your problem become one for someone else. Travelling with obese fatties (I'm not talking a bit overweight, as in, overweight, not a fattie making excuses) is often bloody awful. These days I don't have to suffer it much, but on occasion it's absolutely the last thing anyone wants to have to deal with on a flight.

Being fat as a result of your failure to look after yourself is not okay, even less so is you or your buddies expecting other people to put up with you being obnoxiously fat in a confined space.

I'm not sayings its right that people have to put up with someone who is obese cutting into their personal space on a flight. Yes , most people who are overweight can change their lifestyle and try to lose weight. I just don't think fat shaming sets a good example and should never be rewarded.

Maybe as a country we should try different solutions, like having healthy eating workshops for kids, trying to make healthy food cheaper and rewarding kids in school who eat healthy. Promote exercise for children in schools etc, fat shaming I don't believe helps people. Overweight people probably already feel some shame and someone else shaming them is not going to help.

That's funny, because a few posts above there were some people who had a rare disease that caused them to gain weight. You must be a delight in person.

Diabetes isn't a rare disease and doesn't make you gain weight at all.

I'm not sayings its right that people have to put up with someone who is obese cutting into their personal space on a flight. Yes , most people who are overweight can change their lifestyle and try to lose weight. I just don't think fat shaming sets a good example and should never be rewarded.

Maybe as a country we should try different solutions, like having healthy eating workshops for kids, trying to make healthy food cheaper and rewarding kids in school who eat healthy. Promote exercise for children in schools etc, fat shaming I don't believe helps people. Overweight people probably already feel some shame and someone else shaming them is not going to help

All well and good. The thing is, I want to 'enjoy' my reserved seating unencumbered, get home to my family and get on with my life. I work to keep my weight in check, no way should I be okay with somebody else failing to do so impacting on my comfort.

I have zero time for fatties making excuses for themselves or accepting others making excuses on their behalf. Your problem if you're fat should be your problem to address, not anyone elses.

I'm not standing there pointing my finger and screaming 'kill the fatty!", or tsk'ing when they ask for soda instead of water, but I'm not going to do ANYTHING to make them feel better about being a pain in the arse to other passengers.

Is that shaming? No.

• Advertisement

Maybe as a country we should try different solutions, like having healthy eating workshops for kids, trying to make healthy food cheaper and rewarding kids in school who eat healthy. Promote exercise for children in schools etc, fat shaming I don't believe helps people. Overweight people probably already feel some shame and someone else shaming them is not going to help.

This doesn't work. The government has tried this over and over again and it has failed many times. Here's an example - http://www.fooddudes.ie/main.html

Diabetes isn't a rare disease and doesn't make you gain weight at all.

That’s probably the only thing we’ll agree on. Diabetes can actually cause an unexplained weight loss. Funny that diabetes is the only thing that comes to mind when talking about illnesses. What about the other illnesses or medications that actually do result in weight gain?

That’s probably the only thing we’ll agree on. Diabetes can actually cause an unexplained weight loss. Funny that diabetes is the only thing that comes to mind when talking about illnesses. What about the other illnesses or medications that actually do result in weight gain?

These diseases are very very rare and they will not make you obese forever. They may add weight but you have the ability to burn it off. It's not like you inflate every hour of the day due to these diseases.

These diseases are very very rare and they will not make you obese forever. They may add weight but you have the ability to burn it off. It's not like you inflate every hour of the day due to these diseases.

Ok. So we have a person who is currently suffering from a very very rare disease that caused them to gain weight. They were bedridden for nearly a year, unable to exercise.

Eventually they got better. Still limited to what they can do, they slowly started losing the weight.

To celebrate making it through the horrible year, they go out with their partner for a nice dinner. It’s a celebration, so screw it, they order dessert, just this once.

As they are eating the lovely double chocolate cake, somebody at the table next to them very loudly points out to their partner that fat people who eat this much make them sick and for the love of god, can they not just control themselves?

The fat persons’ evening is ruined because some idiot thought that they know their life story.

And based on your posts, you think that this is ok, because all fat people deserve to be fat shamed, no matter what their story is. They’re fat and that’s that.

All well and good. The thing is, I want to 'enjoy' my reserved seating unencumbered, get home to my family and get on with my life. I work to keep my weight in check, no way should I be okay with somebody else failing to do so impacting on my comfort.

I have zero time for fatties making excuses for themselves or accepting others making excuses on their behalf. Your problem if you're fat should be your problem to address, not anyone elses.

I'm not standing there pointing my finger and screaming 'kill the fatty!", or tsk'ing when they ask for soda instead of water, but I'm not going to do ANYTHING to make them feel better about being a pain in the arse to other passengers.

Is that shaming? No.

I understand your point and I see where you're coming from. I didn't say anything you do is fat shaming.

I'm arguing a point that was made earlier about rewarding fat shaming or thinking its right to shame anyone for being overweight. I agree most people can lose weight and I play sports to keep my weight down and try not to eat bad foods.

I'm saying people who are overweight probably already feel shame and want to lose weight.
    Other people shaming them doesn't help anything. Many children through no fault of their own are overweight and I wouldn't like to see them shamed in schools. Many people suffering from mental health problems comfort eat and nobody knows what's happening in someone else's life.

Yes, you have a right to a comfortable filght, I totally agree but I don't think shaming people who are overweight will help. Anxiety problems, depression and other factors can also lead to weight gain. Its not just the fact that people are lazy and aren't trying to change their weight. If adults start fat shaming people then kids who see this behaviour will copy it and kids don't deserve to be fat shamed.

Ok. So we have a person who is currently suffering from a very very rare disease that caused them to gain weight. They were bedridden for nearly a year, unable to exercise.

Eventually they got better. Still limited to what they can do, they slowly started losing the weight.

To celebrate making it through the horrible year, they go out with their partner for a nice dinner. It’s a celebration, so screw it, they order dessert, just this once.

As they are eating the lovely double chocolate cake, somebody at the table next to them very loudly points out to their partner that fat people who eat this much make them sick and for the love of god, can they not just control themselves?

The fat persons’ evening is ruined because some idiot thought that they know their life story.

And based on your posts, you think that this is ok, because all fat people deserve to be fat shamed, no matter what their story is. They’re fat and that’s that.

There is no major weight gain from any form of disease. While yes, if you're diagnosed with one of these diseases you may gain a slight bit more weight but it won't make a regularly fit person go from fit to fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think they should be taxed extra.

I'd rather see an asshole tax than a fat tax. At least fat people can help people. Assholes just make the world a worse place for everyone.

I'd rather see an asshole tax than a fat tax. At least fat people can help people. Assholes just make the world a worse place for everyone.

The only thing fat people can help is the promotion of obesity and mental health issues.

Kids deserved to be fat shamed more than adults because at least then they're young, have time on their hands and (should) have gained motivation to loose weight.

Where is it proven that fat shaming will motivate kids to lose weight ? You're well able to prove that there's not many diseases that help people gain weight. So try and prove this argument ?

Where is it proven that fat shaming will motivate kids to lose weight ? You're well able to prove that there's not many diseases that help people gain weight. So try and prove this argument ?

You ever hear those athletes say "they told me I couldn't do it, but I have?" why can't that kind of philosophy apply to this? Because they're ****ing lazy.

There is no major weight gain from any form of disease. While yes, if you're diagnosed with one of these diseases you may gain a slight bit more weight but it won't make a regularly fit person go from fit to fat.

Maybe not from the disease itself, but there can be a major weight gain from the medication, especially if you’re used to exercise and suddenly you can’t even leave the bed to use the toilet. Imagine being stuck in bed and burning less than 1000 calories a day while having to maintain 2000 kcal daily in order for the meds to work.

Then tell me again how is it impossible to find people who experienced a major weight gain due to meds or illnesses.

• Advertisement

Maybe not from the disease itself, but there can be a major weight gain from the medication, especially if you’re used to exercise and suddenly you can’t even leave the bed to use the toilet. Imagine being stuck in bed and burning less than 1000 calories a day while having to maintain 2000 kcal daily in order for the meds to work.

Then tell me again how is it impossible to find people who experienced a major weight gain due to meds or illnesses.

Mind telling me what medication that is and what it's used to treat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod Note Even tough we had similar threads here before we'll keep this open for now just remember don't be to much of a pr*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Are you speaking from personal experience or just making a general observation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The only thing fat people can help is the promotion of obesity and mental health issues.

Which is still more than assholes can.

Turnipman wrote: »
    Are you speaking from personal experience or just making a general observation?

Both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

You see discussions about fat people on aeroplanes from time to time. It's a massively overblown issue. I'm very fat indeed, but I fit in a regular seat just fine. I've even sat beside equally big people without the slightest difficulty. This is such a non-issue that I suspect the people who are extremely bothered by it have some sort of mental illness, or are the sort of asshole who think's it's a problem he can't keep his elbows six inches over the armrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What if the pilot is obese...... should he/she take a smaller salary for putting more weight pressure on the plane??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Fat people have 100% control over their weight and why should the normal taxpayer pay for their horrible and unhealthy lifestyle?

Thats ok. However. you need to apply the same standards to the following

a) Smokers - They have 100% control over lighting a cigarette and smoking it.
    b) Alcohol abusers - They have 100% control over the quantity of alcohol that they consume
    c) Junkies - Need I say more.
    d) People who have contracted STI's. They have 100% control over who they share a bed with unless they have been the victim of a crime.

Which begs the question. Why should the taxpayer fund their horrible and unhealthy lifestyle choices?

Take the above five poor lifestyle choices and you probably have accounted for a very significant number of people in Irish hospitals today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hey OP. I get what you are saying and it could be an interesting discussion, but I think you started off in a really nasty fashion and that attracted some more arseholes that expanded on your nasty articulation. You then went right downhill when you started claiming it was alright to fat shame kids.

That said, I would agree that large people can make it very uncomfortable on an aircraft. But its not something new and has been featured in dedicated TV shows and backed up by TV shows that focus on really large people attending clinics in an attempt to lose weight and failing. If we are going to discuss it, can we even try to do it in a way that doesn't come across as a one way street of fook you fatty????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,200 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yes there should be. I'd save a fortune and I'd get to laugh at them whine. If only!

you likely wouldn't save anything as the charge for them would be simply a way to make more money. fares for everyone else wouldn't go down.
    Fat people have 100% control over their weight and why should the normal taxpayer pay for their horrible and unhealthy lifestyle?

they don't always no . addiction, mental health, plenty of issues can cause weight problems. the "normal" tax payer, of which most fat people funnily enough are, don't pay for their horrible and unhealthy lifestyle. they only pay if those people need to use the medical services, as we do for anyone who needs to use said services.
    Why should their background be a burden to everyone else? No one has time for stories and some of the most infamous athletes in the world come from a past of poverty and abuse, whats their excuse?

why shouldn't their background be a burdin to everyone else in this mythical land where it supposibly is?
    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    There should a seat in the check in area much as there is a cabin bag size checker. Overflow the seat and you have to purchase another seat. Why should I have to suffer a lard ads overflowing into my seat.

because public transport means sharing with all sorts.

Because I already fit comfortably in one seat.

It's the fat git that's the problem, Gwen.

but you said you would be happy to pay.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,200 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

No, if anything people should be rewarded for fat shaming.

couldn't be done as that would be rewarding bullying.
    Fat people have full control over what they eat and whether they decide to go for a 15 minute jog every day and burn some fat but no.

they don't no . they are addicted to food.
    I should be allowed to take the piss out of a fat person because they're lazy and I'm not.

you shouldn't because they aren't lazy and bullying cannot be allowed.
    Wrong, no one is forcing a fridge down their throat and forcing them to stay inside 24/7. The diseases that do make you gain weight are rare and often controllable and even if you do have one of these rare diseases, they don't make you obese.

wrong, they don't eat fridges but eat food. it would be impossible for a fridge to be forced down their throat. lots of them don't stay inside 24-7 but are out working.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

MadDog76 wrote: »
    What if the pilot is obese...... should he/she take a smaller salary for putting more weight pressure on the plane??

Now that you mention it...I have never seen an obese pilot.
    I assume they are required to maintain a certain fitness level?.

mikhail wrote: »
    You see discussions about fat people on aeroplanes from time to time. It's a massively overblown issue. I'm very fat indeed, but I fit in a regular seat just fine. I've even sat beside equally big people without the slightest difficulty. This is such a non-issue that I suspect the people who are extremely bothered by it have some sort of mental illness, or are the sort of asshole who think's it's a problem he can't keep his elbows six inches over the armrest.

It's highly likely that you do not, in fact, "fit in a regular seat just fine" if you are truly very fat. Fat people get used to taking up more space than people who are not fat. You might think it a good fit, but then again so do all the fatties who think wearing yoga pants or rugby shirts makes them sporty, instead of just fat.
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    Hey OP. I get what you are saying and it could be an interesting discussion, but I think you started off in a really nasty fashion and that attracted some more arseholes that expanded on your nasty articulation. You then went right downhill when you started claiming it was alright to fat shame kids.

That said, I would agree that large people can make it very uncomfortable on an aircraft. But its not something new and has been featured in dedicated TV shows and backed up by TV shows that focus on really large people attending clinics in an attempt to lose weight and failing. If we are going to discuss it, can we even try to do it in a way that doesn't come across as a one way street of fook you fatty????

The important bit is in bold. People aren't supposed to be fat. If being fat is impacting negatively on a total stranger, because you are too fat to be contained by your seat and your arms and legs are constantly brushing another passenger (Grrrrrrrr!!! :mad:) during a flight often without you having any awareness of your encroachment, you are deserving of any dirty looks you may receive. I don't put up with it any more. I just elbow people off the armrests, I kick their splayed feet when I stretch out, I refuse to let them rest if they keep brushing against me, I will ruin their flight in return for them being a fat-pest without the ability to keep their body in one place.

As for the TV show guff.. Fat people, watching tv shows about fat people, failing to lose weight (probably because they've cheated on their diet or been lazy and haven't hit their exercise goals...NOT because of illnesses/disease and the other usual BS excuses people here roll out) , so they can sit on their arse watching TV and feel a little better about also failing to lose weight, because they're not the only one and that's a pretty good starting point for the next round of excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

It's highly likely that you do not, in fact, "fit in a regular seat just fine" if you are truly very fat. Fat people get used to taking up more space than people who are not fat. You might think it a good fit, but then again so do all the fatties who think wearing yoga pants or rugby shirts makes them sporty, instead of just fat.

The important bit is in bold. People aren't supposed to be fat. If being fat is impacting negatively on a total stranger, because you are too fat to be contained by your seat and your arms and legs are constantly brushing another passenger (Grrrrrrrr!!! :mad:) during a flight often without you having any awareness of your encroachment, you are deserving of any dirty looks you may receive. I don't put up with it any more. I just elbow people off the armrests, I kick their splayed feet when I stretch out, I refuse to let them rest if they keep brushing against me, I will ruin their flight in return for them being a fat-pest without the ability to keep their body in one place.

As for the TV show guff.. Fat people, watching tv shows about fat people, failing to lose weight (probably because they've cheated on their diet or been lazy and haven't hit their exercise goals...NOT because of illnesses/disease and the other usual BS excuses people here roll out) , so they can sit on their arse watching TV and feel a little better about also failing to lose weight, because they're not the only one and that's a pretty good starting point for the next round of excuses.

You are coming across as bad as the OP. And you have decided to spin the point I made about TV shows. While fat people will continue to be fat and suffer at their own expense on planes and in life, you will simply be a vitriolic person full of hatred despite me agreeing that fat people can be a discomfort to others on an aircraft. No need for all the anger. the topic can be discussed without it.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You are coming across as bad as the OP. And you have decided to spin the point I made about TV shows. While fat people will continue to be fat and suffer at their own expense on planes and in life, you will simply be a vitriolic person full of hatred despite me agreeing that fat people can be a discomfort to others on an aircraft. No need for all the anger. the topic can be discussed without it.

You're quite mistaken. Fat people suffer at their own fault (in most cases, let's agree) but they cause fellow passengers to suffer for no fault of their own. That's the only bit that's properly unacceptable about it.

I don't care what any fattie does to themself by overeating or whatever, as long as it doesn't impact on my life. There's absolutely no good reason at all why I should accept somebody causing me inconvenience for no reason other than because they're fat.

If somebody sat beside you on a flight stinking of puke and body waste, would you object? What if they had been ill, what if they had a ruptured colostomy bag etc etc etc. What if 15% of passengers on the flight smelled vile, would it be okay for passengers to complain and refuse to travel with them? What if it was 30%?

At what point does it become acceptable for people to say that they don't want to sacrifice a reasonable expectation to be able to travel in comfort, in a reserved space without undue intrusion from a fellow passenger? Do you think it's simply not okay to object on the basis that someone is fat?

If you're fat and your oversized body causes fellow passengers discomfort, you should seek to make alternative travel arrangements, including for example alternative means of travel or reserving twin seating and lapbelt extensions. Or just lose some bloody weight, which in the majority of cases is achievable if fat people would just get off their lazy holes and do something about it, instead of bitching about 'angry' people on the internet mocking them and bullying them, or their fat friends or whatever.

Fat people are unpleasant travel companions on airliners. I'd rather not have to engage or share space with a fat flyer. They might be lovely people (I never said otherwise), but that doesn't make it okay to assimilate another travellers allocated space into your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I am very conscious of the dividing line between my seat and the next because I'm not an asshole. I have no difficulty staying on my side. I wish I could say the same of many smaller people.

mikhail wrote: »
    I am very conscious of the dividing line between my seat and the next because I'm not an asshole. I have no difficulty staying on my side. I wish I could say the same of many smaller people.

Credit where it's due then. You're the wild exception, or the experienced traveller. I wish I could say the same of many 'larger' people.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

Fat people are unpleasant travel companions on airliners. I'd rather not have to engage or share space with a fat flyer.

I'd say you are more of an unpleasant travel companion from yours posts. :pac:

I've flown a hell of alot and never really had much issue with larger people.

I've sat next to a Maori man who was so naturally wide that his arm came 5 - 10 cm into my chair.

Am I meant to shame him?

CosmicJay wrote: »
    I'd say you are more of an unpleasant travel companion from yours posts. :pac:

You might be right. I could care less.
    CosmicJay wrote: »
    I've flown a hell of alot and never really had much issue with larger people.

I've sat next to a Maori man who was so naturally wide that his arm came 5 - 10 cm into my chair.

Am I meant to shame him?

I never said to shame anyone. But you know what, if he was obese, he should lose the weight. Being Maori might make you more susceptible to weight issues than pretty much anyone else if current obesity statistics are accurate, but that doesn't mean it's a natural state or one that should just be accepted.

So, no, don't 'shame' someone deliberately but people should get over whatever is stopping them from saying that it's not okay for most fat people to be fat. Change the narrative. You shouldn't be fat. If you're fat, you should take action and if you don't take action you should simply accept that people see you being fat as something you should feel some level of shame for allowing persisist.

Being fat is your own fault for all but the very smallest number of exceptional cases. If you're fat, you should fix it or you should feel ashamed of yourself. It shouldn't take someone else saying anything for you to see that you're to blame for your own crappy physical condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

There are medications for certain diseases which cause people to bloat and gain weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Crea wrote: »
    There are medications for certain diseases which cause people to bloat and gain weight.

\nd people who were highly active then became immobile after an injury willl gain weight .. there is a limit then to how much you can can safely cut down food.... so then when you feel better you take a holiday and get a ... creature.. next to you who is all but ....... all for a few hours on a plane|?

I've never once had a problem with a larger person on any kind of transport, but then I'm not looking for sticks to beat people with. These threads always shake my faith in humanity, hard to believe posters think they deserve to be praised for being bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Tax them, Why should the rest of us pay their health costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Candie wrote: »
    I've never once had a problem with a larger person on any kind of transport, but then I'm not looking for sticks to beat people with. These threads always shake my faith in humanity, hard to believe posters think they deserve to be praised for being bullies.

I could be thinner - I may well be soon as I've cut down on eating s***e but yet travelling by train twice a day and flying every other weekend for the footy has never been an issue.

The only people that have been a bother are the manspreaders and people who lean over you.

I reported this thread last night as it is just a cheap excuse to bully people you don't like. In Aviation it may have had merit but it's just bullies high fiving at this point.

toptom wrote: »

I've never needed healthcare save for injuries - you know the kind skinny people can get too ?

And the VHI covered that, so you may need a different tack for your prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cstaff

I have had epilepsy since I was 1 and it was not the illness that caused me to be overweight but the medication that I was taking. I know this for a fact as about 12 years ago they attempted to take me off the the tablets I had been taking since then and change to another and over a period of about 1 year and while I was off these tablets I lost about two stone without any effort at all. Unfortunately I had to be put back on them as I needed them and as soon as I was back on them the weight piled back on. In this time period I did not change my diet at all.

• Advertisement

cstaff wrote: »
    I have had epilepsy since I was 1 and it was not the illness that caused me to be overweight but the medication that I was taking. I know this for a fact as about 12 years ago they attempted to take me off the the tablets I had been taking since then and change to another and over a period of about 1 year and while I was off these tablets I lost about two stone without any effort at all. Unfortunately I had to be put back on them as I needed them and as soon as I was back on them the weight piled back on. In this time period I did not change my diet at all.

Sympathies. But health comes first, be well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've never needed healthcare save for injuries - you know the kind skinny people can get too ?

And the VHI covered that, so you may need a different tack for your prejudice.

Jaysus you calling people out about prejudice is classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

This thread is horrible. I have reported it and I can't believe it has been allowed to continue. Talk about kicking people when they're down.
    I only hope that Morrissey and JayZeus are young and consequently haven't been able to broaden their horizons (no pun intended).
    A fat person can lose weight but they're stuck being narrow minded.

Eta: and in case anyone thinks I am personally affected- I'm have a bmi of 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Where they are so large they are spilling into another seat their neighbour has paid for, there should be an additional cost. Its unfair on the other passenger. I fly a minimum of twice per week and experience this all the time. It's unpleasant to have to lean away from the "large person" for the entire flight just so you don't rub off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

toptom wrote: »

You also pay for smokers

• Advertisement
Advertisement