Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should there be fat tax for fat flyers? Mod Note Post One.

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

toptom wrote: »
    Tax them, Why should the rest of us pay their health costs.

You also pay for smokers

Smokers pay for themselves and others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

This really is a horrible thread!

Just to play along though, you'd have to be very large to spill over the sides of your seat, they aren't that tight! I'm overweight myself and I always respect the boundaries of my seat. The same thing can't be said for a lot of people I've sat next to over the years (mainly skinny men of various ages), manspreading or sticking their elbows way over the divider even when I was in the middle seat. If someone next to you on the plane takes over part of your space, it's usually not due to them being bigger, but due to them being an ignorant prick.

The people who keep going on about "fatties" and how they should be shamed into losing weight really seem to have a chip on their shoulder. We all have our flaws, I'm sure you have some of yours too. How about accepting people as they are and just trying to get along.

miezekatze wrote: »
    This really is a horrible thread!

Just to play along though, you'd have to be very large to spill over the sides of your seat, they aren't that tight! I'm overweight myself and I always respect the boundaries of my seat. The same thing can't be said for a lot of people I've sat next to over the years (mainly skinny men of various ages), manspreading or sticking their elbows way over the divider even when I was in the middle seat. If someone next to you on the plane takes over part of your space, it's usually not due to them being bigger, but due to them being an ignorant prick.

The people who keep going on about "fatties" and how they should be shamed into losing weight really seem to have a chip on their shoulder. We all have our flaws, I'm sure you have some of yours too. How about accepting people as they are and just trying to get along.

It's been reported as have individual posts but what can ya do?

Incidentally there's a bony witch next to me on the train elbowing my ribs.

So you know skinny people can be pains in the hole travelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This thread is horrible. I have reported it and I can't believe it has been allowed to continue. Talk about kicking people when they're down.
    I only hope that Morrissey and JayZeus are young and consequently haven't been able to broaden their horizons (no pun intended).
    A fat person can lose weight but they're stuck being narrow minded.

Eta: and in case anyone thinks I am personally affected- I'm have a bmi of 21.

The OP admits to being 18. It's obvious that there's a lot of learning about life and sensibilities to be done yet. The entire thread is either badly thought out or a wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Makes sense Srameen, I didn't see that.
    Try inter railing OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

There was a study done in the Netherlands that showed, on average, obese people and smokers do not but an extra burden on healthcare because they die younger.

The OP admits to being 18. It's obvious that there's a lot of learning about life and sensibilities to be done yet. The entire thread is either badly thought out or a wind up.

When you're eighteen you're liable to think your mind is an incubator of precious genius and your opinions are the most intelligently thought out gems of wisdom imaginable.

It takes a while to figure out you know sod-all about life or anything else, and that the grandparents you think are clueless have forgotten more than you'll ever know.

I wish I knew half as much now at 31 as I did at 18. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP is new to boards and I am reminded of the long thread re vegans a while back?

Same person? Same techniques?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A fat person can lose weight

You're not wrong.

A fat person can lose weight

You're not wrong.

He might be, you don't know the medical background of that person.

• Advertisement

I don't know their social history either. Which would be useful if I wanted easy excuses as to why somebody is obese.

I rather think that 99% of overweight people owe a large cake to the 1% who have medical reasons for being obese. Their very existence has given an easy cop-out to a lot of fat people for a long time now.

I don't know their social history either. Which would be useful if I wanted easy excuses as to why somebody is obese.

I rather think that 99% of overweight people owe a large cake to the 1% who have medical reasons for being obese. Their very existence has given an easy cop-out to a lot of fat people for a long time now.

What a pathetic post. Really time this thread was pulled.

Nothing more pathetic than somebody who wants to shut down discussion because they personally don't like the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I should be allowed to take the piss out of a fat person because they're lazy and I'm not.

How are you not lazy? You intentionally started an inflammatory thread without even writing an opening post. That's laziness. Furthermore, you're too lazy to even think about your own argument which is why by page two you had already made a contradicting statement.

Laziness isn't limited to a lack of physical activity and your laziness proves it.

No, it's quite reasonable to expect some conflicting views on this kind of topic. You might not like it, you certainly keep labelling it as bullying, but that doesn't make it so.

Most people won't say a single word to fat people about their weight. Doesn't mean they're not going to have an opinion about that fat person that may not be particularly well received by people who want to appear to be above judging another person.

Personally, fat people disgust me a little*. I don't care about the excuses used to people who 'comfort eat', sit around on their backsides watching TV and living sedentary lives where they are inevitably more ill than they would otherwise be, nor do I care for fat people making travel needlessly uncomfortable for me. I take between 150-200 flights per year. I'm well and truly past having sympathy for fat people in general. Most are perfectly capable of taking action to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Those who gain weight as a consequence of illness are absolutely a small minority. Most are ill because they're fat.

In the meantime, I'd be fully in favour of airlines putting in place a financial levy for oversized fat passengers. I don't think a governmental fat tax will work though, seeing as the level of permanent disability related to gross and morbid obesity seems to be on the rise, tipping the balance firmly in favour of those who are happy to eat pizzas, overflow their seats and bug their fellow passengers on their annual trip to the sun and spend the rest of their time arguing online about how unfair it is to 'fat shame' them. It's not called fat shaming by anyone who recognises it's fair to allow open criticism when something is just plain wrong. Like being fat when you don't have to be.

Edit; * but that disgust is quickly replaced by admiration when that person stops making BS excuses and starts to take control of their weight, rather than acting like some kind of victim to their overeating, inactivity and related malaise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Some airlines had considered charges them for two seats if they look like they won't solely into one chair.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Some airlines had considered charges them for two seats if they look like they won't solely into one chair.

Some are doing it already for nearly a decade, like my two favourite operators, KLM and Air France.

Obesity is a big deal, if you'll pardon the pun, so anything that brings scrutiny on those who are making excuses as to why it's 'okay' to be overweight and obese is okay in my books.

1/3 of Irish kids are overweight. 1/10 are obese. That's only going to get worse as these fat kids enter adulthood, not better. Time to stop making excuses and start hitting fat people where they'll still be able to feel the blow; in their wallets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

JohnMc1 wrote: »

Its an ancient subject. The OP and cohorts must be kids. Pity they can't discuss it in a humane manner. But that's the internet for you. Here's a selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

All those obese by choice people you refer to have made the world much more accessible for those who have a medical condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

JayZeus wrote: »
    No, it's quite reasonable to expect some conflicting views on this kind of topic. You might not like it, you certainly keep labelling it as bullying, but that doesn't make it so.

Most people won't say a single word to fat people about their weight. Doesn't mean they're not going to have an opinion about that fat person that may not be particularly well received by people who want to appear to be above judging another person.

Personally, fat people disgust me a little*. I don't care about the excuses used to people who 'comfort eat', sit around on their backsides watching TV and living sedentary lives where they are inevitably more ill than they would otherwise be, nor do I care for fat people making travel needlessly uncomfortable for me. I take between 150-200 flights per year. I'm well and truly past having sympathy for fat people in general. Most are perfectly capable of taking action to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Those who gain weight as a consequence of illness are absolutely a small minority. Most are ill because they're fat.

In the meantime, I'd be fully in favour of airlines putting in place a financial levy for oversized fat passengers. I don't think a governmental fat tax will work though, seeing as the level of permanent disability related to gross and morbid obesity seems to be on the rise, tipping the balance firmly in favour of those who are happy to eat pizzas, overflow their seats and bug their fellow passengers on their annual trip to the sun and spend the rest of their time arguing online about how unfair it is to 'fat shame' them. It's not called fat shaming by anyone who recognises it's fair to allow open criticism when something is just plain wrong. Like being fat when you don't have to be.

Edit; * but that disgust is quickly replaced by admiration when that person stops making BS excuses and starts to take control of their weight, rather than acting like some kind of victim to their overeating, inactivity and related malaise.

Do you want to know why fat people disgust you? I'll tell you, but only if you're interested in a bit of self-exploration, and only if you're open minded enough to explore other possibilities.

You're disgusted by fat people because you and many others have some weird caricature image of the archetypal fat person in your head, and that's what fuels your rage. It's very evident in most of your posts on the subject.

You're painting a picture of someone who blames the whole world for what you reckon is a self-inflicted problem, which is fine, but have you actually ever witnessed a fat person passing the buck for their own obesity? Have you ever actually seen a fat person not take responsibility for their eating habits? I'd find it hard to believe you have.

Even if - and it reallly is a big 'if' in my opinion - you've seen one person do this, is that enough to make you think that it's the M.O of every fat person? You wouldn't last long here if you made such stupid generalisations about other demographics, but it's grand in this case because a bunch of imaginery obese people are out there blaming everyone but themselves?

There's a very clear link between obesity and traumatic childhood experiences - specifically sexual abuse - in the studies I've read. I've pointed this out to people in threads like this before, but instead of acknowledging the possiblity that the mind of an obese person has been conditioned to use food as a sedative from a very early age, thus making obesity a certainty, they tell me I'm making excuses, when really I'm just trying to illustrate that many times there's a pretty sad story behind their "grotesque" appearance. In many times there's no story at all, just poor eating habits which have spiralled out of control, but on appearance alone how can you differenciate between a fat person who let themselves go in recent years and a fat person who was felt up by their uncle when they were seven for instance? You can't, so the best course of action is probably to err on the side of caution and have a bit of class instead of inventing a rationale that this person uses to defend their weight when, really, there's probably no rationale at all.

You simply have a caricature image of an obese person. It's probably a bit like how white men thought of black men as lazy and slow-talking imbeciles back in the day as a result of minstrels. Yep we're talking these levels of ignorant.

All those obese by choice people you refer to have made the world much more accessible for those who have a medical condition.

They are the heroes we deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mikhail wrote: »
    I am very conscious of the dividing line between my seat and the next because I'm not an asshole. I have no difficulty staying on my side. I wish I could say the same of many smaller people.
    JayZeus wrote: »
    Credit where it's due then. You're the wild exception, or the experienced traveller. I wish I could say the same of many 'larger' people.

As another......'comfortably proportioned gentleman', amazingly enough I also manage to stay within my 'seat zone' on flights. I don't think I've ever rubbed up against another passenger - WTF? Feet under my seat or that in front of me, no spreading. I think that's three of us porkers now on this thread that manage not to suffocate our inflight neighbours under our Michelin Man-esque rolls of fat - are we all 'the wild exception'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No. Either they fit in their own seat, or they buy two seats.

Advertisement