Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discrimination seems to only apply to women.

• 13-08-2018 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

I am currently looking for a gaffe on Daft and nearly everyone is asking for a female only. Why is this practice not frowned upon in the age of equality? Are us men that hard to live with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Keepaneye

Getting this out of the way...
    Keepaneye wrote: »
    Are us men that hard

Oh matron!

What a gaffe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Anyone that calls somewhere to live a “gaff” should be discriminated against.

bluewolf wrote: »
    What a gaffe

A bit like your birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ring the local radio station and contact the media.
    Tell them you are even considering changing your gender just to get a rental property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Good point

Its discrimination based in gender,if the advert was to say no travellers,blacks or Jews there would be a court case against the landlord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Tell them you are even considering changing your gender just to get a rental property.

Hmmmm

Identity as female to get apartment.

Then gender fluid switch back to male.

Win win.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Identify as a house, then you’ll have somewhere to live.

This is actually a good idea. If I change from an evil white fella to a powerful dove advert woman I'll get a Palace for peanuts.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Identify as a house, then you’ll have somewhere to live.

Excellent, I can say I'm detached without being creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I'm goin for a kip in me gaf.
    He does have a good point it is completely discriminatory however completely understandable. The OP is correct in that there are obvious reasons why a gender is preferred in many things in life and that it is generally seen as discrimination when applied "against" women.
    I would say it is a shame for the OP but people may prefer a female to share with. If he is not looking to share then it is obvious discrimination, otherwise just preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Excellent, I can say I'm detached without being creepy.

Or that you've got a semi.....

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I rent out a couple of rooms from time to time.

I found out very quickly and to the detriment of my mental health that women make the worst tenants.

No exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

No, he should sleep in the public office of a garda station & post it on fb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Same with Swingers Clubs. Singles allowed but females only.

Told them I was a lesbian in a man's body but they wouldn't believe me.

#FemalePrivilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I guess the norms of society would say that on average the girls are cleaner and less likely to do physical damage.

The ads are discriminatory of course but the owner can choose the tenants so no point wasting someones time.

On a wider level, us men really are on our own in the world and need a thick skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Some bloke in Canada tried that to get cheaper car insurance. Didnt work though.
    https://www.joe.ie/life-style/man-becomes-woman-insurance-635741

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

The worst people I've ever had the displeasure of renting to have, without exception, been women.

They say fellas are dirty but my god you should have seen the state of the place after the women holy **** it was unreal

Dirty animals would be a compliment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Go to Garda station, go to sleep in waiting room and get a mate to take pics,.....fire them up on Facebook and all media outlets

Sit back and wait for a plush new pad, or gaff as you call it

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Go to Garda station, go to sleep in waiting room and get a mate to take pics,.....fire them up on Facebook and all media outlets

Sit back and wait for a plush new pad, or gaff as you call it

A single man lying on a bench in the garda Station doesn't grab headlines or sympathy as evidenced by this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Alternatively have six kids, have the father run away and then sleep in a garda station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am currently looking for a gaffe on Daft and nearly everyone is asking for a female only. Why is this practice not frowned upon in the age of equality? Are us men that hard to live with?

Make a complaint about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Landlords are not permitted to advertise "females only". If they do turn you down based on your gender, you can take a case under the equal status act and get a free pay day.

These ads are virtually always house-shares, which *are* permitted to be gender-biased (and race, age, etc), because the right to be comfortable in your own home trumps another person's right to equality.

Likewise you'll often see ads that talk about "gay-friendly", etc. Transgender people often won't advertise at all and will rely on word-of-mouth to get housemates that are trans or trans-friendly.

You see "females only" more often than you see "males only" because women make the case that they may feel less safe sharing with a man than a woman. Which is oldschool nonsense misandry of course.
    Women also (in my experience) tend to be much more puritanical about their biology and would feel "icky" about sharing a bathroom with a man while being on their period, or if they have a dose of the trots.

These are outdated sexist attitudes that women need to address, but like I say, the right to feel comfortable at home trumps anyone else's equal rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think the current housing shortage makes gender discrimination in the housing market completely unacceptable.

On a side note what happens if they get someone with a y chromosome but who identifies as female applying to be tenant? People who deny people based on their gender are going to find themselves in a difficult situation I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I am currently looking for a gaffe on Daft and nearly everyone is asking for a female only.

Can you show us some sample ads, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

seamus wrote: »
    Landlords are not permitted to advertise "females only". If they do turn you down based on your gender, you can take a case under the equal status act and get a free pay day.

These ads are virtually always house-shares, which *are* permitted to be gender-biased (and race, age, etc), because the right to be comfortable in your own home trumps another person's right to equality.

Likewise you'll often see ads that talk about "gay-friendly", etc. Transgender people often won't advertise at all and will rely on word-of-mouth to get housemates that are trans or trans-friendly.

You see "females only" more often than you see "males only" because women make the case that they may feel less safe sharing with a man than a woman. Which is oldschool nonsense misandry of course.
    Women also (in my experience) tend to be much more puritanical about their biology and would feel "icky" about sharing a bathroom with a man while being on their period, or if they have a dose of the trots.

These are outdated sexist attitudes that women need to address, but like I say, the right to feel comfortable at home trumps anyone else's equal rights.

Are you talking about the moral right or legal right to feel comfortable? I can't imagine either applying to tenants not feeling comfortable based on a man/woman's race.

I'm at a uni in the UK and during an open day some kid's parents asked a colleague could her daughter be spared living with Asian girls/boys at the dorms. Does her comfort trump equality? I'm not attacking you just wonder how it could work in practice. Should we indulge everyone's discomfort based on their own views against women, men, jew, gentile or African?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Can you show us some sample ads, OP?

Simple, go on daft and use the filter for females (or male) under the ads for sharing.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Are you talking about the moral right or legal right to feel comfortable? I can't imagine either applying to tenants not feeling comfortable based on a man/woman's race.

I'm at a uni in the UK and during an open day some kid's parents asked a colleague could her daughter be spared living with Asian girls/boys at the dorms. Does her comfort trump equality? I'm not attacking you just wonder how it could work in practice. Should we indulge everyone's discomfort based on their own views against women, men, jew, gentile or African?

I work in a Uni here and we're often asked by parents things like that.

The worst racism I've seen since being here comes from Saudi men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

#MeTooBedSemi ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

givyjoe wrote: »
    Simple, go on daft and use the filter for females (or male) under the ads for sharing.

If a group of women is advertising for a female housemate, I don't see the issue. Same if a group of men wants a male housemate. They have the right to free association.

However, as noted, it is already illegal under anti-discrimination legislation for a landlord to state that a house is for rent to "females only."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Its rampant, even in Wimbledon women get equal prize money for doing 3 sets while men have to do 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Its rampant, even in Wimbledon women get equal prize money for doing 3 sets while men have to do 5.

Oh I have long since called bollocks on that - I'm a huge tennis fan and have seen titles won by Roger Federer where he played more games in the final that the female winner did in the whole tournament, yet they get the same pay!

If a gender pay gap can be mythically created from dodgy and irrelevant data - then surely the "prize money per game" in tennis is a gap in itself ?

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »

Dorms have nothing to do with this.

Most of the rooms for rent is with people who have bought a house

Are you now telling people that go out and spend a couple of hundred grand to buy a house, that they are not entitled to request which gender they can rent a room to?

jacksie66 wrote: »
    When I was looking for a place to rent in Limerick last year I came across a few places that specified no Non Muslims in the ad.

Try THAT the other way round! Might as well write the cheque for the fine now.

When I was looking for a place to rent in Limerick last year I came across a few places that specified no Non Muslims in the ad.

Show an example of that??

No website like Daft etc would even allow you put up an ad like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

If a group of women is advertising for a female housemate, I don't see the issue. Same if a group of men wants a male housemate. They have the right to free association.

However, as noted, it is already illegal under anti-discrimination legislation for a landlord to state that a house is for rent to "females only."

Perhaps that wasn't specifically aimed at me, but all I suggested was looking at daft and using the filter under 'sharing' to see the ads in question.

• Advertisement

It was on daft. The house was located in Dooradoyle in Limerick.

All ad's that go on daft are proof read. I was putting up ad and just copied and pasted from a few years back. I had included "professionals only" and they stopped it. Told me to edit it and then send it back for approval.....

So if they won't allow professional only I doubt they will allow what you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I guess the norms of society would say that on average the girls are cleaner and less likely to do physical damage.

Former long suffering hotel porter here and myself and any bar staff can confidently say at the end of the night cleaning the ladies is a nightmare compared to the gents

Cleaner on average? Not in my houseshare experience either

I saw it with my own eyes, on the app on my phone. I don't know if the ad was taken down or whatnot but it was definitely up.

I very much doubt it....daft itself could be prosecuted for putting up religious hate message.....

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Former long suffering hotel porter here and myself and any bar staff can confidently say at the end of the night cleaning the ladies is a nightmare compared to the gents

Cleaner on average? Not in my houseshare experience either

Every person I know in the hospitality or service industries agrees with you!

A work colleague's sister has a cleaning gig that occasionally gets extra work when the K Club has a massive event on.

Even the higher up you go, the Ladies' are still a mess at the end of the night!

I prefer using the gents, the lads don't mind as long as there's no peeking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The ads are discriminatory of course but the owner can choose the tenants so no point wasting someones time.

On a wider level, us men really are on our own in the world and need a thick skin.

When I was looking for a place I found that the advertisements for women only are places where a woman lives. And they think a female housemate would be safer.

I saw a few saying men only.

I saw loads with would suit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

There is nothing wrong with discrimination...shock horror.

People discriminate all day long however the minute an employer does it people are somehow appalled.

Grayson wrote: »
    When I was looking for a place I found that the advertisements for women only are places where a woman lives. And they think a female housemate would be safer.

I saw a few saying men only.

I saw loads with would suit.....

I'd prefer to share with no one at all at my stage of life but of forced to by circumstances I'd share with blokes any day.

I may be bumpy of chest and high of voice but the similarities end there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

On the plus side menfolk in Paris can now avail of street open public urinals.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2018/0813/984858-france-urinals-paris/

Ahh, Paris the city of romance and instant bladder relief.

• Advertisement
Advertisement