Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of Aphids!?

Options
  • 13-08-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭

My chilli plants are getting destroyed by Aphids the last few weeks, I've been trying to wash them off with soapy water and wiping them, but there's twice as many the next day.

Help they are ruining my crop!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Diatomaceous earth should work on those pests.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Diatomaceous earth should work on those pests.

thanks, just apply to the soil? i dont think they come in contact with that much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Take plant outside and spray the bejesus outta them with water and fairy liquid (same mix as if doing the dishes). Works amazingly well - kind to the environment, dishes and your hands! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

thanks, just apply to the soil? i dont think they come in contact with that much

No its a powder, you dust it on to them, it clogs their breathing spiracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Take plant outside and spray the bejesus outta them with water and fairy liquid (same mix as if doing the dishes). Works amazingly well - kind to the environment, dishes and your hands! ;)

They live on the balcony, I've tried this with no luck, maybe I need a stronger solution.

Does the solution kill them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Using this for the first time this year. It cleared aphids for me, black ones off castor oil plant, greenfly of rambling rose, white fly off three different type indoor begonias and greenfly off Epiphyllum buds.
    I sprayed under, over, through, up and down...
    It is harmless soapy spray to the plant. I don't know if it kills or knocks them off but it gets rid of them...
    Costs feck all - what have you got to lose?
    It works for you or it doesn't... Hope it does!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Using this for the first time this year. It cleared aphids for me, black ones off castor oil plant, greenfly of rambling rose, white fly off three different type indoor begonias and greenfly off Epiphyllum buds.
    I sprayed under, over, through, up and down...
    It is harmless soapy spray to the plant. I don't know if it kills or knocks them off but it gets rid of them...
    Costs feck all - what have you got to lose?
    It works for you or it doesn't... Hope it does!:)

Suffocation is also the intention of soapy water, increase the concentration if it's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No its a powder, you dust it on to them, it clogs their breathing spiracles.
    In view of the water shortage, dishwater could also be used:)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Ladybirds prey on aphids and they're everywhere at the moment. Catch some in a friend's garden, or in a park or even a field, and just release them on your plants.

Advertisement