Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop for grumpy father - HELP

Options
  • 13-08-2018 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

So I have a father who always asks me to help him with it stuff.
    Needless to say this is a disaster. Bought a refurb iPhone and it doesn't work. Got him a laptop and it's too slow.
    Don't get me started on the HD Cam he bought from a Chinese website that apparently is my fault won't work.

Anyway I need to get him a desktop. One that starts fast and will do every day tasks.
    I need advice on one I found to ensure I won't be listening to guff for the next 3 years.

Lenovo V520-15IKL Core I3-7100 4GB 256GB SSD DVD-Writer Windows 10 Professional Desktop

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/-10nk006quk/version.asp

Anyone know if this is any use?
    Or recommend one I can get?
    Budget is 400-500 and I have the monitor.

ANY help is appreciated!!

Ev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What are the specs of the 'too slow' laptop?

It might give us an idea of what he expects.

What does he use the PC for, mostly?

Does he do any 'heavy-duty' stuff on it, like video processing?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 stoker7

What are the specs of the 'too slow' laptop?

It might give us an idea of what he expects.

What does he use the PC for, mostly?

Does he do any 'heavy-duty' stuff on it, like video processing?

Hi Johnboy1951
    Its
    Processor: Intel Core i3 @ 1.70GHz
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Storage: 500GB HDD
    Memory: 4GB RAM

Thanks!

stoker7 wrote: »
    Hi Johnboy1951
    Its
    Processor: Intel Core i3 @ 1.70GHz
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Storage: 500GB HDD
    Memory: 4GB RAM

Thanks!

What about his use-case?

Maybe changing the HDD for an SSD and adding more memory would do what is needed?

I would be concerned that the boost from a mobile CPU to a desktop CPU would not be as noticeable as he might expect.

Maybe most of the 'lag' is due to the HDD ...... start up time and app launch time???

What about his use-case?

Maybe changing the HDD for an SSD and adding more memory would do what is needed?

I would be concerned that the boost from a mobile CPU to a desktop CPU would not be as noticeable as he might expect.

Maybe most of the 'lag' is due to the HDD ...... start up time and app launch time???

He uses it for only emails and browsing. Maybe some YouTube but that's it.
    I don't know much about computing tbh.
    Do you reckon that one I posted seems like a good price for what's included?

For uses like that his existing machine should be sufficient and the slowness is possibly due to the HDD.

That's a pity.

It wouldn't be for me .... but I would usually build my own ...... so it probably is about the going rate for what it is.

Also I suspect there is a premium being paid for Win PRO which apparently he will not really need.

I would just put an SSD into the existing machine unless the CPU is very old. For his use case it should show considerable speed increase.

Maybe some who have bought a similar machine recently will add their voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could the existing one do with a clean up?
    So I have a father who always asks me to help him with it stuff.
    Secretly, does he just want to spend time with you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

depending on how old his laptop is I would just install an SSD and maybe another 4gb if it can take it

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Skerries wrote:
    depending on how old his laptop is I would just install an SSD and maybe another 4gb if it can take it

I would do same ssd upgrade would be fast extra ram bonus can be done these days cheap. I have old i3 2nd gen laptop and it done it wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

All suggestions above are very good(SSD, extra RAM)
    It will definitely boost the performance of laptop.
    Machine in the link seem good as out of box for home/small office basic stuff, fits your budget.

Consider two options:
    1. buy all upgrade parts + pay someone to install and try resurrect old laptop. 250GB SSD=~€100 + 4GB RAM=~€30 + installation = total~€200(very rough estimate)
    *RAM link for illustration purposes only,your laptop might require different type RAM, laptop might have only one slot so 8Gb stick will be required.
    2. buy new PC(paying probably twice|2/3 of upgrade price ), but just connect and forget for next "X" number of years. (sell laptop as is for whatever its worth)

I know someone will say: "you get parts cheaper....., install for nothing....", but will/can you?

This PC(10NK006QUK) has no WiFi so either Ethernet(wired) connection or USB WiFi adapter(extra €10-15)

You say you have a monitor for desktop but on the site it states
    Keyboard and Mouse
    Peripherals Not included

Also with maybe needing a wireless dongle or powerline adapters for the network depending on how far away the router\internet connection is to desktop.

Could you give us the make and model of laptop so that we can show what would work it would be cheaper option and maybe something you could do your self a usb and a screw driver and guidance from here and internet.

For me i went the cheap route but a look now SSD's are way cheaper new now see this yes not as good as samsung but for the price difference this is better deal and not over spending as for the ram if it can take more could be got 2nd hand for about €10 to 15 in CEX and if not working can be exchanged or refunded. I got my memory their. So for under €100 you shoud have it well upgraded. I wouldn't be sending the earth on the laptop because there is no need also you may think about the battery life on it as this could be another thing that may or may not be needed depending on how they want\need to use it so this may be too much then to spend then as money would be better off on new computer selling laptop. Wish you look in the decision.

• Advertisement

The three uses you gave above imply use of a browser only for day to day tasks.
    The SSD linked above https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SA400S37-240G-Solid-State/dp/B01N5IB20Q/?tag=22 is very solid value.

Maybe this thread would get better responses if moved to
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

It has been know for boardsies to help out with reinstalls for someone living close by.
    That might well be an option for you ......... again depending on the CPU in the existing laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are you sure that a desktop is the best option here?

How about a tablet with a separate keyboard? That might be the most convenient option for a very light user like him.

iPads are simple to use, or you could try an Android tablet if you're on a tight budget. MS Surface would be a nice option, but are a bit pricey, unless the new Surface Go comes to Ireland.

Are you sure that a desktop is the best option here?

How about a tablet with a separate keyboard? That might be the most convenient option for a very light user like him.

iPads are simple to use, or you could try an Android tablet if you're on a tight budget. MS Surface would be a nice option, but are a bit pricey, unless the new Surface Go comes to Ireland.

Seconded. If he only uses it for email and a bit of surfing then just get a decent tablet.

Thanks All,
    The laptop is Processor: 
    Lenovo G50 -30.
    Would insltalling a new SSD drive be someting I could do on my own you think?

Thanks!

Thanks All,
    The laptop is Processor:
    Lenovo G50 -30.
    Would insltalling a new SSD drive be someting I could do on my own you think?

Thanks!
    Here is full manual with images how to replace drive, etc.

Lenovo G50-30/G50-45/G50-70/G50-70m/Z50-70/Z50-75/G50-80
    Hardware Maintenance Manual

Lenovo G50-30 compatible RAM upgrades
    From reviews i read it has only one RAM slot, but you'll find out once remove cover.

Installing the ssd would be quite easy here is a video on cleaning but it shows the hard drive and ram.

So hard drive is normally held in with between 2 or 4 screws with a shroud over it with the mounting points to the laptop you have to take off and put on the ssd normally 4 small screws 2 on either edge or 4 on one side. See this video for help you seeyou can tell its only a few screws and guidance and you will be fine.
    See the video The first thing he unscrews after the cover is the hard drive but you have to slide the hard drive to left without lifting it up as its connected to motherboard sideways. Then it just's lifts out.

As you said you have windows 10 do you have an install disc for this?
    If not you can download it from microsoft website and burn to DVD or usb.

If you need help pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jhud wrote: »
    Installing the ssd would be quite easy here is a video on cleaning but it shows the hard drive and ram.

So hard drive is normally held in with between 2 or 4 screws with a shroud over it with the mounting points to the laptop you have to take off and put on the ssd normally 4 small screws 2 on either edge or 4 on one side. See this video for help you seeyou can tell its only a few screws and guidance and you will be fine.
    See the video The first thing he unscrews after the cover is the hard drive but you have to slide the hard drive to left without lifting it up as its connected to motherboard sideways. Then it just's lifts out.

As you said you have windows 10 do you have an install disc for this?
    If not you can download it from microsoft website and burn to DVD or usb.

If you need help pm me.

Honestly, I don't think this is the kind of task that someone who describes themselves as 'not knowing much about computers' should be taking on.

If you want to replace the drive, drop into your local phone/laptop repair shop and see what they can do for you.

Advertisement