Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Unique perspective?

:).

I’d prefer to call it ‘a broader perspective’...

You still in hospital. Must be fairly warm over there at the minute

visatorro wrote: »
    How soon can I feed bales? Made on the 17th of June?

Are you short of grass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

how much extra diesel do you use with trailing shoe?

Nothing that’s going to boil the planet...

Just driving an extra couple of hydraulic mascerators is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are you short of grass?

Short term problem in front of the cows
    Also I'm going to house a few heifers for the test.

Short term problem in front of the cows
    Also I'm going to house a few heifers for the test.

Have to get some control on the grass here. After being away. A lot of bales and topping to be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Anything that we took a heavy crop of for the first cut has been seriously slow to recover. Seems like heavy machines are finally showing up on our heavy ground here with lots of reduced growth over driven areas.

Mooooo wrote: »
    My tank is ghosting me, fecking won't send or receive txt msgs

Could you infect irrigation reels with that ‘ghosting’ thingy?

You still in hospital. Must be fairly warm over there at the minute

I think I prefer water boarding.
    Lodged a request for a transfer to Guantanamo today....

Credit to the staff in fairness.

K.G. wrote: »
    Will dairy washing s spreading with splash plate be outlawed under new directive. Pia if it does for everyone

My agri consultant said washings was alright to spread with splash plate still. That Could change thou in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Some yield in that crop of Rye. I wonder what kind of yields you'd expect here?
    https://twitter.com/DonaldMillar/status/1144285495226228737?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Some yield in that crop of Rye. I wonder what kind of yields you'd expect here?
    https://twitter.com/DonaldMillar/status/1144285495226228737?s=19

16ish t/acre fresh weight at early-mid 30's dm would be the target, you'll hear of more bit like guys saying they grew a 5t wheat crop when their longterm norm is little under 4.
    Financials work out equal to a 2.5t of malting spec Sbarley ;160 crop without the straw if going for a concrete cow. They almost measure the seed in Carrats and charge accordingly.

16ish t/acre fresh weight at early-mid 30's dm would be the target, you'll hear of more bit like guys saying they grew a 5t wheat crop when their longterm norm is little under 4.
    Financials work out equal to a 2.5t of malting spec Sbarley ;160 crop without the straw if going for a concrete cow. They almost measure the seed in Carrats and charge accordingly.

Had a look at the Tweet that the Chief posted and thought, wtf am I doing wrong....
    Saying that, with a mahoosive yield of grain, 10+t/ha, it’s almost feasible...but yeah...

Finished wbarley here this evening. Worst yield 7.4t/ha, best 8.8. Should average around 7.7 or more. Pleased.

Wheat must be taking a roasting now with this bit of heat. Thought France might even break the 40mln tons this year, but not a hope now...there’s always something to just rip the rug out from under you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Had a look at the Tweet that the Chief posted and thought, wtf am I doing wrong....
    Saying that, with a mahoosive yield of grain, 10+t/ha, it’s almost feasible...but yeah...

Finished wbarley here this evening. Worst yield 7.4t/ha, best 8.8. Should average around 7.7 or more. Pleased.

Wheat must be taking a roasting now with this bit of heat. Thought France might even break the 40mln tons this year, but not a hope now...there’s always something to just rip the rug out from under you.

Àny bit of rain causes ergot in it around flowering needing a colour sorter around here, and then id guess your heat would be robbing a ton or 4 of yield!. Could be supprised with grainfill, Barely a day or 2into the late 20's redzone for crop stress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Whatever about their yields......their femmes are pretty smart with a ball...tough luck to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could you infect irrigation reels with that ‘ghosting’ thingy?

No bother, just get an Irish service provider to supply " coverage"

Àny bit of rain causes ergot in it around flowering needing a colour sorter around here, and then id guess your heat would be robbing a ton or 4 of yield!. Could be supprised with grainfill, Barely a day or 2into the late 20's redzone for crop stress

I killed a few cows with ergot...sold triticale to a merchant and he renegaded on price so we loaded it and took it away.
    Problem was he didn’t me back our own grain, only some other shyte that was full of ergot. Result was cows dead and what an agonizing death it was for the poor animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Are many going to moorepark on Wednesday.
    It's looking like another very good dsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I'll be going alright. One thing I noticed the last time was a hell of a lot of hype and fellas mad for numbers. Small farmer like me had to stand back as they asked what's the max debt per cow, max cow per person, etc. Loads of pushing numbers on fellas. Very interesting day out though if you can avoid them lads.

straight wrote: »
    I'll be going alright. One thing I noticed the last time was a hell of a lot of hype and fellas mad for numbers. Small farmer like me had to stand back as they asked what's the max debt per cow, max cow per person, etc. Loads of pushing numbers on fellas. Very interesting day out though if you can avoid them lads.
    Tis more about sustainability now

I believe they have moved away from the jersey crosses too. It's the grass10 info I find most interesting.

• Advertisement

Every farm is different , is it not? No definite figure for max debt per cow....

Every farm is different , is it not? No definite figure for max debt per cow....

Every farm is different as long as I milk more cows than anyone else!

That's it exactly! Everyone has different comfort levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I wonder will it b mentioned that they have spent over 40 grand on concentrates at the greenfield farm since february and yet they are on course to having a very profitable year there....

Every farm is different as long as I milk more cows than anyone else!

There is nobody else putting their hands up for more work like farmers are.

I wonder will it b mentioned that they have spent over 40 grand on concentrates at the greenfield farm since february and yet they are on course to having a very profitable year there....

Where did you see that?
    I would say it's in an effort to build silage stocks.
    If I remember correctly lack of meal feeding was everyone's problem with the place?

Where did you see that?
    If I remember correctly lack of meal feeding was everyone's problem with the place?

Is it not nearly finished anyway? At least it's one less row lads will be having on here!

Where did you see that?

This weeks farmer journal

Is it not nearly finished anyway? At least it's one less row lads will be having on here!

Yeah a big mess!
    Part of the mp was leased from another land owner who died yesterday in a plane crash.
    The phelans are ending up very well off out of the whole thing.
    All they have to buy is the herd of cows.
    I'm personally very disappointed with how it all ended. There was alot more there they could have researched, share milking, lower N rates on a highly stocked dry farm, how feeding more meal effected production and in turn there margin and lots more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm sure lads will find something to argue about:D

As far as I know, there's discussions going on at the minute about what's going to happen. It's likely to finish but there's a chance it might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Yeah a big mess!
    Part of the mp was leased from another land owner who died yesterday in a plane crash.
    The phelans are ending up very well off out of the whole thing.
    All they have to buy is the herd of cows.
    I'm personally very disappointed with how it all ended. There was alot more there they could have researched, share milking, lower N rates on a highly stocked dry farm, how feeding more meal effected production and in turn there margin and lots more

They might get a reality check once they get a full calving season under their belts, would be some baptism of fire

I'm sure lads will find something to argue about:D

As far as I know, there's discussions going on at the minute about what's going to happen. It's likely to finish but there's a chance it might not.

Teagasc and the farm manager are gone... being run by an interim management now... Martin o’neill And Roy keane are being spoken to about looking after the place on a full time basis... couldn’t do any worse than the teagasc crowd....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Might be going down with the BIL for support purposes if the contracting quietens down. He was invited down by Moore park to give a talk on the day but I dont think hes gonna do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I’m going and looking forward to it but was savagely impresed by the ihfa day in Charleville on Thursday ,more for me out of day like that as it showed what a well managed fertile herd of cows is capable of whilst managing and utilizing grass to a high level the milk Cheque provided a good return from high sales of milk and kgms and the icing on the cake was stock sales .there milking circa 90 cows and gave me great confidence going forward that a smaller herd like that that has the right focus will survive .moorepark will be interesting as always at different level

Teagasc and the farm manager are gone... being run by an interim management now... Martin o’neill And Roy keane are being spoken to about looking after the place on a full time basis... couldn’t do any worse than the teagasc crowd....

Ah now that's a bit harsh I think. They went out there and set up a farm on the premis of what they were preaching.
    Yes lots of mistakes made but haven't we all gained from it?
    There has been lots of 2nd and 3rd units aswell as conversions from other enterprises set up by farmers through the use of the information generated from the Greenfield, be it the mistakes or what worked.
    It's not easy to go set up a farm that was worn out and they hit all the key parameters set out by teagasc. Most of us are farming land that have been in our family for a few generations and is in good heart, theres infrastructure there aswell as stock

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I’m going and looking forward to it but was savagely impresed by the ihfa day in Charleville on Thursday ,more for me out of day like that as it showed what a well managed fertile herd of cows is capable of whilst managing and utilizing grass to a high level the milk Cheque provided a good return from high sales of milk and kgms and the icing on the cake was stock sales .there milking circa 90 cows and gave me great confidence going forward that a smaller herd like that that has the right focus will survive .moorepark will be interesting as always at different level

Freemount lad. Great day for sure.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Might be going down with the BIL for support purposes if the contracting quietens down. He was invited down by Moore park to give a talk on the day but I dont think hes gonna do it

You bil is one of the poster boys so.

Ah now that's a bit harsh I think. They went out there and set up a farm on the premis of what they were preaching.
    Yes lots of mistakes made but haven't we all gained from it?
    There has been lots of 2nd and 3rd units aswell as conversions from other enterprises set up by farmers through the use of the information generated from the Greenfield, be it the mistakes or what worked.
    It's not easy to go set up a farm that was worn out and they hit all the key parameters set out by teagasc. Most of us are farming land that have been in our family for a few generations and is in good heart, theres infrastructure there aswell as stock

And realistically what farmer out there would be willing to give you fully costed accounts as to what it all cost, or how much they are making year on year. Very few if you ask me!

mahoney_j wrote: »

If it works dont change it. We're all constantly evolving. I'm trying to learn something from anyone I can, be it genetics, grass, silage making, calf rearing..anything at all. It all improves it that little bit more every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You bil is one of the poster boys so.

Hes one to watch I'd say. He really knows his stuff and I've learnt alot of him this past year. Very quiet fella and doesn't bang his own drum but theres alot of visitors around his yard lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

its always easy to criticise .Thousands of people went to see a large setup being started from scratch and got to see the good ,bad and ugly .Even the beast from the east was lesson for farmers who never expect a hard spring ,lots of guys who saw what went on with the demo farm vowed never to be caught with bad winter facilities again .thats what a demo farm is for

1373 wrote: »
    its always easy to criticise .Thousands of people went to see a large setup being started from scratch and got to see the good ,bad and ugly .Even the beast from the east was lesson for farmers who never expect a hard spring ,lots of guys who saw what went on with the demo farm vowed never to be caught with bad winter facilities again .thats what a demo farm is for

Anyone should know that you can't have cows without adequate accommodation. Teagasc advice of build up your numbers and do the accommodation later was always ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

1373 wrote: »

Anyone should know that you can't have cows without adequate accommodation. Teagasc advice of build up your numbers and do the accommodation later was always ridiculous.
    Well you would be very wrong! With rapid expansion post quota, on some farms the cow numbers at the time werent enough to bank roll large shed loans. So alot of lads had to think outside the box. I've had cows on redstart, cattle slats, outwintered on dryer ground. Others had to do pads or outdoor cubicles. Some fine sheds up now on these farms. Teagasc were just giving us some options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Well you would be very wrong! With rapid expansion post quota, on some farms the cow numbers at the time werent enough to bank roll large shed loans. So alot of lads had to think outside the box. I've had cows on redstart, cattle slats, outwintered on dryer ground. Others had to do pads or outdoor cubicles. Some fine sheds up now on these farms. Teagasc were just giving us some options.

Scored a goal!
    Summed up perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Went the opposite way here adding the housing etc with the cows and glad I did .one man show so have to keep things simple expansion was slower but I was happy with it and wouldn’t of done it any different if doing it again

What about the social licence

Where is the best value for milking gloves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

https://www.gloves.ie/collections/agriculture/products/chemplus

I find these very good. 10.95 for 50

cjpm wrote: »

Magenta
    10 x1. 100 gloves for 100e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I got these for oh for handling/feeding calves and general yard work. They are thicker than normal disposable gloves and are longer so the water doesn't run into them. A pair will last him several wears.
    https://www.agridirect.ie/product/pro-tect-gloves-10-boxes

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement