Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

farisfat wrote: »
    Its the first year hear with no stock bulls....I bought 4 yearling hex bulls in Feb and used them when I finished ai.
    And I don't miss the stock bulls....rounding up cows,fighting cows back from drinkers,trying to stop cows on the road,going mental in the collecting yard,going lame,broken penis,feeding them all winter the list goes on.
    What did you pay for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Used to have a friesan that wouldn't let the cows near the drinker.

Bull gone from heifers a month, 25/28 in calf. Two with cysts. Scanned today

Bulls gone from cows last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I never had a bull with a broken penis.. Poor guy!

The last 2 angus bulls here ended with broken penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

whelan2 wrote: »
    What did you pay for them?

2400 Euro their going in two weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Seems very low.
    Cull cows were making 2.95 a few weeks ago.

Over age bulls wont make any more. G. Hemm in ballinlug sent an AA bull last week and got the same.
    Culls will depend on grade, we sent one with the teaser and it got p-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Over age bulls wont make any more. G sent an AA bull last week and got the same.
    Culls will depend on grade, we sent one with the teaser and it got p-

Ah sure I'll live in hope.

Depressing none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

have a cow that has some sort of skin cancer around her back passage , it's fairly progressive so will have to move her soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Hi. My milking cows eyes are weeping a bit. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Hi. My milking cows eyes are weeping a bit. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks

Grass too stemy and thier eyes are getting poked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I think he just needed less cows. Funny the ideas of success some people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Flies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

straight wrote: »
    I think he just needed less cows. Funny the ideas of success some people have.

Not quiet what I took from the article.

Not quiet what I took from the article.

That's understandable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

back from brinnginng in cows... (was in killarney at match) one cow left in field.. she one of this yrs heifers.. she is deranged... out of her mind.. charged at the quad twice has wrecked one side of it.... she is stone mad... any ideas... father says a deficiency? shes not usually like this btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

She normally like that or just this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

back from brinnginng in cows... (was in killarney at match) one cow left in field.. she one of this yrs heifers.. she is deranged... out of her mind.. charged at the quad twice has wrecked one side of it.... she is stone mad... any ideas... father says a deficiency? shes not usually like this btw

Are you sure it wasn't the bull. Did you have a few pints in the Shire, Jimmy ó Brien or the Tatler?

Meningitis or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

Meningitis or similar?

Red water. Iv had it happen to me.

Attie Ross wrote: »
    Red water. Iv had it happen to me.

Yourself or the cow:)

• Advertisement

Meningitis? Listerosis?

I had a cow a few days ago that took strange to me. But went the opposite way and took off in a flight away from me not following the cows back out into the field.

I was after getting my hair cut and was wearing a tee shirt which I normally don't do (shirt man) and wasn't wearing my overalls.

Did you get the vet

For anyone going for a new build..

40 cows to heat the house with a cost for the year of €280.

https://selfbuild.ie/project/it-takes-40-cows-to-heat-the-house-in-winter/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Two council lads walking around field this a.m, never asked permission, from water section wasn’t in yard at time but guessed where leak was and told brother to tell them where to look, got home and they had gone no joy finding leak, walked down and had it copped in 2 mins, they where to lazy to hop over the barbwire fence in the forestry section where it’s burst....
    Their drawing up water with artics now, you’d have no hope for this country going forward when you examine the public sector and sheer-waste and money been wasted

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Two council lads walking around field this a.m, never asked permission, from water section wasn’t in yard at time but guessed where leak was and told brother to tell them where to look, got home and they had gone no joy finding leak, walked down and had it copped in 2 mins, they where to lazy to hop over the barbwire fence in the forestry section where it’s burst....
    Their drawing up water with artics now, you’d have no hope for this country going forward when you examine the public sector and sheer-waste and money been wasted

People talk of them running a nuclear power plant. Could you imagine. What could possibly go wrong

People talk of them running a nuclear power plant. Could you imagine. What could possibly go wrong

It gets better, the pipes are absestos lined, the leak has been going on for months but the pipe is are after totally blowing out now, so they’ll be drawing water for the foreseeable unless Irish water divert the pipeline around the forestry and link it in further up, of course they’re going to have to compensate ourselves if they want to access our land to do these works, expecting a phone call I’m the morning of some highly paid suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Meningitis? Listerosis?

Last case I heard just like that was sunstroke. Put her in a house and call the vet.

Just had a 3 year old hol/fr bull loaded up on a lorry with charolais bullocks for the factory.
    Only for the colour he matched them up perfectly.
    No meal fed to this fella either only as a calf. I'll post up the results of this lad when I get them.
    *charolais weren't mine.

How did he do?

How did he do?

No cheque yet. It's usually near 10 days now before it comes.

• Advertisement

No cheque yet. It's usually near 10 days now before it comes.

We collect it the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great to see a man from Urhan become the Chairman of Carbery. Now that is truly a West Cork man, Urhan is out beyond Castletownbere. Great footballing country.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/carbery-group-reveals-held-milk-price-for-june/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Water John wrote: »
    Great to see a man from Urhan become the Chairman of Carbery. Now that is truly a West Cork man, Urhan is out beyond Castletownbere. Great footballing country.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/carbery-group-reveals-held-milk-price-for-june/
    I thought at first glance he was from some Arabian country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Long story short...
    English couple moved to the south of France 5yrs ago, bought a dairy farm, but wants out now to move back to the UK. Says he can’t handle the shyte and regulation...
    They produce 900k litres. Cows are a mix of pure Hol and also hol x Swedish red. Anyone any experience of the hol/Swedish Red cross?

He wants to sell the herd complete with followers. What’re they worth?

85 cows in milk most in-calf to BB.
    34 in-calf heifers. Sexed semen.
    40 maidens.
    33 calves.

Long story short...
    English couple moved to the south of France 5yrs ago, bought a dairy farm, but wants out now to move back to the UK. Says he can’t handle the shyte and regulation...
    They produce 900k litres. Cows are a mix of pure Hol and also hol x Swedish red. Anyone any experience of the hol/Swedish Red cross?

He wants to sell the herd complete with followers. What’re they worth?

85 cows in milk most in-calf to BB.
    34 in-calf heifers. Sexed semen.
    40 maidens.
    33 calves.

Have a couple of brilliant ones here but all are of a particular bull A Linne, used a few other sr bulls and they where a pure disaster bad feet/temperament/yield and poor bags they where all culled down through the years

Have a couple of brilliant ones here but all are of a particular bull A Linne, used a few other sr bulls and they where a pure disaster bad feet/temperament/yield and poor bags they where all culled down through the years

That doesn’t warm the cockles...
    Are the SR crosses worse than pure Hol with regards their feet and mobility?

That doesn’t warm the cockles...
    Are the SR crosses worse than pure Hol with regards their feet and mobility?

The bad ones are a lot worse but the good ones have great feet
    These 3 are all 3rd lactation plus doing 32-36 liters at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What age are the current ones in the herd? How they they look/ perform?

The bad ones are a lot worse but the good ones have great feet
    These 3 are all 3rd lactation plus doing 32-36 liters at the minute

You’ve 3 left out of how many originally?

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    What age are the current ones in the herd? How they they look/ perform?

I haven’t seen the herd, it’s 5hrs drive away but he tells me that the herd is about 50:50 hols and Sr crosses.

64 cows are less than 3 lactations. He’d sell me the other 20 for less than factory price.
    Herd average is 10800L with 3.47pr and 4.5bf.
    Indoor ayr.

You’ve 3 left out of how many originally?

Have 8 left out of 10 with the A-linne bull all 3rd lactation plus, their was 12 other swedish red crosses of 3 different bulls that where all culled by end of 2nd lactation due to numerous issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Have 8 left out of 10 with the A-linne bull all 3rd lactation plus, their was 12 other swedish red crosses of 3 different bulls that where all culled by end of 2nd lactation due to numerous issues

genomic or daughter proven sires at time of ai ,out of interest??

genomic or daughter proven sires at time of ai ,out of interest??

A-linne was 99% reliability the others where genomic, this years favorite heifer is a lavaman another 99% reliability bull of one of the sr crosses...
    Don’t think you’d be going to far wrong with a herd of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Cant seem to read this as I'm not on twitter

• Advertisement

Cant seem to read this as I'm not on twitter

There's a problem with the link. I'll get the proper link tomorrow and fire it up.

There's a problem with the link. I'll get the proper link tomorrow and fire it up.

Correct link bit.ly/LYONS0807192

Cheers, I was just going looking for it:)

We would always be looking for someone to milk cows the odd evening and it's hard enough to get the FRS unless you book well in advance. We had a man come looking for work last night and another this morning, both seem to know their way around a parlour so I must give them a few milkings soon.

There are lads out there but we don't always come across them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Gotta love land drainage, over a km of pipe and near 200 tonne of stone and the digger still here, all for the sake of 8 or 9 acres....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Cheers, I was just going looking for it:)

We would always be looking for someone to milk cows the odd evening and it's hard enough to get the FRS unless you book well in advance. We had a man come looking for work last night and another this morning, both seem to know their way around a parlour so I must give them a few milkings soon.

There are lads out there but we don't always come across them.

If anyone needs relief milkers in the east Wicklow North wexford area I know half a dozen lads looking for work.

Anyways making silage mid July, the same day as this part of the farm is burnt up this bad, that's a winwin in my book!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement