Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'd nearly use the pour on myself, would it stop midgets?

There was a story doing the rounds here about public lice and and a lad using sheep dip. He wouldn't recommend it it anyhow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

2 calves here with pink eye. What do ye find works best to treat them? Never had an animal with it before

Opticlox tube from vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bo dearg

2 calves here with pink eye. What do ye find works best to treat them? Never had an animal with it before

alamycin la. inject and treat with pour on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Thanks. Only did them 2 weeks ago for flys for the second time this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alps wrote: »
    Would the €70 rebate be claimabke through that merchant, and would you think he would be still interested in organising some loads..I would certainly be up for 4 loads if it was at 166 less 70..

Reading up about that on the dept website, rebate is only 50e (per ton wet weight). And here's the dept list of registered merchants

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/2018fodderschemes/fodderimportsupportmeasureautumn2018/approvedco-operativesandimporters/

I'd be interested in 100t of it if I could get it transported here, and I could definitely keep all of the subsidy but I think that might be a bridge too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Anybody here attend the town hall meeting in Skibereen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wasnt there but seen a bit on twitter alright, bit of a shambles of a talk by the looks of things. Something in the air in west cork id say, west cork junior final finished on a sour note too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Good question. Maybe an elephants trunk kinda gadget? Or, tape up the holes? That would be a pita... It’s another good reason for January delivery.

In fairness, once Lucerne is conserved it holds for about a week when opened.

Are going to Space this week Dawg? Great show.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Are going to Space this week Dawg? Great show.

Just don’t have the time to go.

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Wasnt there but seen a bit on twitter alright, bit of a shambles of a talk by the looks of things. Something in the air in west cork id say, west cork junior final finished on a sour note too

I’d know one of the speakers...
    I wouldn’t cross the road to hear him speak either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I’d know one of the speakers...
    I wouldn’t cross the road to hear him speak either.

I'm sure you've heard what P Kent said? He really is a very poor representative for farmers. What he said on Claire Byrnes show on RTÉ a few months back was atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

My brother went in. Now my brother is open minded and will research things himself. He came back from it and said it was sh1t show. Facts were thin on the ground and he said the hippie brigade were baying for blood. Pseudo science and Wikipedia were used as sources of info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

My brother went in. Now my brother is open minded and will research things himself. He came back from it and said it was sh1t show. Facts were thin on the ground and he said the hippie brigade were baying for blood. Pseudo science and Wikipedia were used as sources of info!

I know someone that went and views very simillar to that .ifa/Incas etc etc need to get very vocal on defending us from that ****e ,harod Kingston on twitter gave very good synopsis on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I know someone that went and views very simillar to that .ifa/Incas etc etc need to get very vocal on defending us from that ****e ,harod Kingston on twitter gave very good synopsis on it

Very difficult to know Mahoney if it's worth being publicly vocal against them as it just gets them more air time. You cannot control the outcome nor the reporting stance taken from a public debate...it's dangerous.

Most lobbying takes place with the influencers...those who effect public opinion. Keeping these and the politicians on side is vital. Most are well balanced and can reason a cause by it's facts and it's economic effect on a region. Rarely do you see any of them get themselves cornered by the hippie brigade referred to above..

Sometimes these empty vessels can do more to undo their credibility the more rope that they are given.

Kent is a perfect example of this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What was this meeting about?

• Advertisement

Bought 8 second calvers today. All fresh calved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

whelan2 wrote: »
    Bought 8 second calvers today. All fresh calved.

Thought you were never buying in stock again are the prices to good to miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What was this meeting about?

Screenshot_2018-09-10-19-58-29.png

10.30 am to 6.30 pm.

On a positive note. I'd say the meal was delicious. :D

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Thought you were never buying in stock again are the prices to good to miss

Bought off a johnes free herd. Bought some off him this time last year too. All survived

Bought off a johnes free herd. Bought some off him this time last year too. All survived

Have you ever had a clinical case of johnes I'd say most of the herds in Ireland have johnes at this stage

• Advertisement

Have you ever had a clinical case of johnes I'd say most of the herds in Ireland have johnes at this stage

Why do you reckon? Vet here thinks it is a big risk as well. Testing for it will be a disaster. A case of promoting best practice around calving time prob best strategy.

Not sure if all bbc1 will have this program . Investigation into the export of bull calves on at 8.30 don't think it's going to be pretty harsh by the sounds of things

Yup. Test each year. Have one at the moment tested negative twicr showing symptoms. Tested her again last week

Why do you reckon? Vet here thinks it is a big risk as well. Testing for it will be a disaster. A case of promoting best practice around calving time prob best strategy.

Most the large grazing herds in the UK have started herds from Irish stock there all rife with jonhes. Bought some heifers myself from johnes free herds last year 10% of them showing positive and only in second lactation. I don't think it is as much of a problem in smaller herds seems to become more of a problem in large herd with more stress

Yup. Test each year. Have one at the moment tested negative twicr showing symptoms. Tested her again last week

Have a possitve girl here falling apart in the last week has the lump on the jaw and johnes look about here might get 50 quid for her if I can get her in before the end of the week

Most the large grazing herds in the UK have started herds from Irish stock there all rife with jonhes. Bought some heifers myself from johnes free herds last year 10% of them showing positive and only in second lactation. I don't think it is as much of a problem in smaller herds seems to become more of a problem in large herd with more stress

I dont buy in heifers. Too much risk

I dont buy in heifers. Too much risk

You seem to have a good source farm and know their history if your buying in cows it's worth alot

Not sure if all bbc1 will have this program . Investigation into the export of bull calves on at 8.30 don't think it's going to be pretty harsh by the sounds of things

BBC 1 Scotland.

BBC 1 Scotland.

Are you watching it

Are you watching it

Yea the whole basis of the tv program is to get calf exports from Scotland banned.

The presenter tried to follow a lorry load of calves from Scotland to Spain.
    She lost the lorry in NI and they switched the calves for Belgian blues in southern Ireland. She picked up the same lorry in France with the blues going to Italy.
    Proper lairage stops were carried out by the lorry driver so she couldn't criticise that. What she did critise was the use of a stick as an aid in loading the animals on the truck.
    So now you have to use your arms to load Belgian blue bulls!! :rolleyes:

Then they talked to someone who had footage of freisian bulls leaving Spain into the north African halal slaughter market.

Then it finished with the original farmer that the program started with. Who said cows roar for days when a calf is taken from off the cow and he got very emotional about that and had a bit of a sob.
    It turns out at the end he has a dairy farm that leaves the calves on the cows for the first year and markets it as such in any way he can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

trixi2011 wrote:
    Have a possitve girl here falling apart in the last week has the lump on the jaw and johnes look about here might get 50 quid for her if I can get her in before the end of the week

I bought a bull from clare 2 yrs ago who went bad with Johnes, he'd go sick for a while and then get better again, sent him to factory and took my baiting, but was well browned off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Yea the whole basis of the tv program is to get calf exports from Scotland banned.

The presenter tried to follow a lorry load of calves from Scotland to Spain.
    She lost the lorry in NI and they switched the calves for Belgian blues in southern Ireland. She picked up the same lorry in France with the blues going to Italy.
    Proper lairage stops were carried out by the lorry driver so she couldn't criticise that. What she did critise was the use of a stick as an aid in loading the animals on the truck.
    So now you have to use your arms to load Belgian blue bulls!! :rolleyes:

Then they talked to someone who had footage of freisian bulls leaving Spain into the north African halal slaughter market.

Then it finished with the original farmer that the program started with. Who said cows roar for days when a calf is taken from off the cow and he got very emotional about that and had a bit of a sob.
    It turns out at the end he has a dairy farm that leaves the calves on the cows for the first year and markets it as such in any way he can.

I know of a few farms in the UK with this or similar models, some of whom are selling milk direct for as much as £5 / litre and have a waiting list.

It's not, of course, a very scale-able proposition either in terms of the farm or in terms of the customer base. A fair bit of milk produced this way is frozen and sold by mail order (which negates, for me, the whole local farm to fork thing and can't be great for the carbon footprint).

Didn't see the film yet so not sure of the detail but unlike some other people running similar operations it seems he's not afraid to attack more traditional dairy farmers in order to raise more money / and or gain customers for his products.

There is a strong public will to ban live exports from the UK, has been for a long time, UK courts were for a time overruled on it by the EU and a ban looked likely to happen after Brexit - possibly the timing of this film is to reinforce public opinion in case the Dept of Ag get spineless. Personally, I'd like to see live exports end not least because it captures 100% of the value of the animal in the country of origin. I'd rather see a successful UK leather industry than animals going to North Africa to be killed.#

Ireland is a more complex case, given our dependence on exports, but we need to be aware that live export is less than ideal (particularly when you consider the countries we are targeting for growth) and the need for it is a big weakness in any case which is made for expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kowtow wrote: »
    AFAIK the farm behind it is Mossgiel, who are transitioning (with the help of crowdfunder) to the ethical model - calves kept with cows, bulls sold for veal etc. etc. - i

They have raised money with crowdfunder in the past for things like cow tracks.

I know of a few farms in the UK with this or similar models, some of whom are selling milk direct for as much as £5 / litre and have a waiting list.

It's not, of course, a very scale-able proposition either in terms of the farm or in terms of the customer base. A fair bit of milk produced this way is frozen and sold by mail order (which negates, for me, the whole local farm to fork thing and can't be great for the carbon footprint).

Didn't see the film yet so not sure of the detail but unlike some other people running similar operations it seems he's not afraid to attack more traditional dairy farmers in order to raise more money / and or gain customers for his products.

There is a strong public will to ban live exports from the UK, has been for a long time, UK courts were for a time overruled on it by the EU and a ban looked likely to happen after Brexit - possibly the timing of this film is to reinforce public opinion in case the Dept of Ag get spineless. Personally, I'd like to see live exports end not least because it captures 100% of the value of the animal in the country of origin. I'd rather see a successful UK leather industry than animals going to North Africa to be killed.#

Ireland is a more complex case, given our dependence on exports, but we need to be aware that live export is less than ideal (particularly when you consider the countries we are targeting for growth) and the need for it is a big weakness in any case which is made for expansion.
    Just on live exports of calves, PETA are driven spare trying to find animal welfare breaches or deaths of animals while being transported and have claimed a cover up because of the lack of breaches. They went as far as claiming there were animals being substituted for the 'dead' ones and ignored the lack of untagged calves to substitute in for the 'dead' ones.

A case of seeing what you know instead of knowing what you see.:rolleyes:

Just on live exports of calves, PETA are driven spare trying to find animal welfare breaches or deaths of animals while being transported and have claimed a cover up because of the lack of breaches. They went as far as claiming there were animals being substituted for the 'dead' ones and ignored the lack of untagged calves to substitute in for the 'dead' ones.

Yup, I gather the BBC programme could do no more than show drivers following the law either.

I wouldn't be concerned about the law in transport. The boy spent a couple of days recently loading bulls in the port for Turkey (I think) and he was amazed at the facilities on board. Says he only wishes Ryan Air were subject to the same rules.

The two things I would be concerned about are (1) animals going (via Europe or not) for ritual slaughter - particularly at festival time when slaughter is carried out by inexperienced teenagers at home rather than in abattoirs.

And - more generally - that we cannot or do not develop rose veal markets and similar to deal with our own bull calves closer to home. Veal is a wonderful, healthy, meat and would - apart from anything else - reduce our dependence on intensively raised and often flavorless chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kowtow wrote: »
    Yup, I gather the BBC programme could do no more than show drivers following the law either.

I wouldn't be concerned about the law in transport. The boy spent a couple of days recently loading bulls in the port for Turkey (I think) and he was amazed at the facilities on board. Says he only wishes Ryan Air were subject to the same rules.

The two things I would be concerned about are (1) animals going (via Europe or not) for ritual slaughter - particularly at festival time when slaughter is carried out by inexperienced teenagers at home rather than in abattoirs.

And - more generally - that we cannot or do not develop rose veal markets and similar to deal with our own bull calves closer to home. Veal is a wonderful, healthy, meat and would - apart from anything else - reduce our dependence on intensively raised and often flavorless chicken.
    I don't think, economically, we could afford to compete with chicken on price with any sort of veal or rose veal, tbh. The margins are very tight in Europe even with cheap imported calves and a readymade market on their doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't think, economically, we could afford to compete with chicken on price with any sort of veal or rose veal, tbh. The margins are very tight in Europe even with cheap imported calves and a readymade market on their doorstep.

chicken and pork are more efficient convertors too so veal would be hopeless

True... which is where the cultural element and the importance of local food comes in I suppose. I remember in Switzerland the standard children's supper after school would be white veal sausage & onion gravy - they used to get chicken once a week when the "guugli" man came to the village with ready roasted birds. Everything local and I'm pretty sure price competitive one with another. That is a dairy industry which knows what to do with it's spare calves!

Roast beef, of course, was a luxury at luxury prices - certainly over a €100 for a decent sized family Sunday lunch joint.

And farmers were happy!

Shortage of salmonella vaccines again this year

Is there? Got mine from vet the other day never mentioned it, only called in too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Scanned today.74 out of 81 cows in calf.14out of 19 heifers in calf.happy with that.also it amazing how the word of mouth can save u money.the lad I used for yrs wasn't going out scanning this yr.will use him again I he returns.however this yr so I had to get someone new and went with a well known guy who covers the whole country.scanned 102 early June and paid over €580.different guy today from Wexford and it was €255 for same numbers and service.

Is there? Got mine from vet the other day never mentioned it, only called in too.

Yes vets rang me this evening. I have to do them twice this year as I didn't do them last year

Top ai dairy and beef bulls 2017 , did sew ever bounce back? https://www.icbf.com/?p=11736

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Its gas, he has it locked down that milk production is going to keep rocketing ahead in the EU going forward, and only a tiny footnote to the European wide drought that occurred/is ongoing....
    Brussels been adamant that no issues will arise to food security due to climate change, and the farmer will keep expanding/operating at a loss out of pig headines /not been able to use a calculator so big Phil will be putting us in the bold corner going forward is laughable

• Advertisement

Top ai dairy and beef bulls 2017 , did sew ever bounce back? https://www.icbf.com/?p=11736

He's at 198 now, seems to be milk where he's low. Used a bit of him on heifers last year and this year. Fairly well proven with easy calving. Used 10 Jersey straws and 7 held so be interesting to see what happens there, never used them before, normally fr, BB, HE and AA, think I'll have to mentally prepare myself for those calves landing lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The BBC are running the story that P&O are pulling of transporting calves following that programme...
    Rural Affairs Minister Mairi Gougeon raised P&O's decision at the Scottish Parliament.

She said she was shocked by the scenes she saw in the documentary but emphasised that there was not anything that suggested any harm had been done or there was any breach of any welfare standards by anyone transporting the calves from Scotland to Northern Ireland, Ireland or continental Europe.

"So I am concerned about the decision which has been reached by P&O," she added.

"I will urgently seek to find out more information about this because obviously we need to determine that there are no other impacts to live transport of animals to Northern Ireland or Ireland or more widely."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45487502

No doubt the usual suspects will be banging their drums over this shortly ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

gozunda wrote: »
    The BBC are running the story that P&O are pulling of transporting calves following that programme...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45487502

No doubt the usual suspects will be banging their drums over this shortly ...

Am I wrong in saying that the reporter herself said that there was no evidence of maltreatment?

He's at 198 now, seems to be milk where he's low. Used a bit of him on heifers last year and this year. Fairly well proven with easy calving. Used 10 Jersey straws and 7 held so be interesting to see what happens there, never used them before, normally fr, BB, HE and AA, think I'll have to mentally prepare myself for those calves landing lol.

I used Jersey a few years ago. Got all bulls. Now use Norwegian red. Better value for calves and lex is polled too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Reggie. wrote: »
    Am I wrong in saying that the reporter herself said that there was no evidence of maltreatment?

The Scottish minister raised that issue as well.
    I reckon PETA or others have been presuring P&O in an attempt to stop transport even before this programme was aired

Tbh It's something like the methods used by the Scab anti bunch do here - . when charities are presured to refuse any monies raised by greyhound and hunting groups etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement