Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

For tams its 16mm gap. My man putting 6mm gap does that sound ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    For tams its 16mm gap. My man putting 6mm gap does that sound ok?

6/8 mm rings a bell with me ,all I can say is here there was zero issue with water dripping on cubicles or wet cubicles because of the spaced sheeting

mahoney_j wrote: »
    6/8 mm rings a bell with me ,all I can say is here there was zero issue with water dripping on cubicles or wet cubicles because of the spaced sheeting

Ye 16mm seems very big compared to 6mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The nail as a spacer was what was generally used afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mooooo wrote: »
    Passed the herd test today. Had 25 odd replacement tags ordered a month ago, certain I had all the ones missing ordered, 10 more lost from cow's since then.....

€3300 fine right there Moooo.

Bought a load of incalf heifers that are coming tomorrow. I was speaking to the farmer just now and he tells me they’ve never been outside of a shed. I was going to let them off in a field and feed outside because we’ve no grass. What to do now? They’re 23/23mts and calving from mid August. Best way to train to the fence, and how long should it take to train them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Bought a load of incalf heifers that are coming tomorrow. I was speaking to the farmer just now and he tells me they’ve never been outside of a shed. I was going to let them off in a field and feed outside because we’ve no grass. What to do now? They’re 23/23mts and calving from mid August. Best way to train to the fence, and how long should it take to train them?

White rope electric wire double stranded would be your best bet, started using it in the calf training paddocks here 3 stranded and they don’t go through it, the fact they can see it as a visible barrier and their is a stretch in it if they do touch it really helps

jaymla627 wrote: »
    White rope electric wire double stranded would be your best bet, started using it in the calf training paddocks here 3 stranded and they don’t go through it, the fact they can see it as a visible barrier and their is a stretch in it if they do touch it really helps

The white strip grazing wire, or the white tape? I have the strip grazing wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Tape is better at the start as it's more visible. However long runs between stakes is a disaster if there is a wind blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

How long the training takes depends on the power in the fence. I usually cut off the power to the majority of the farm when training so that the shock near the young stock is more powerful

cjpm wrote: »
    How long the training takes depends on the power in the fence. I usually cut off the power to the majority of the farm when training so that the shock near the young stock is more powerful

Same here, all the lights on the tester lit up. I get a perverse sense of satisfaction seeing calves getting the shyte shocked out of them...!

I hate the white tape because if there’s any wind it’ll eventually cut the current at an insulator.

The white strip grazing wire, or the white tape? I have the strip grazing wire.

This stuff a lot stronger job altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

This stuff a lot stronger job altogether

Agreed. I find tape sometimes rips with the wind

€3300 fine right there Moooo.

I'll pass it on to the tag manufacturers,,,,,

A big space or people standing the other side Is it to stop them galloping straight thru it. Also if grazing them in the future they'll have no immunity to parasites so be on the ball 're dosing. Teagasc brought in Danish jersies for A trial bought as maidens I think and they got an awful hammering when they first went out. That was the first mark against them even tho the nz ones came as embryos so were born and out as calves......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What brand is the best type of polywire ,the most of them are not worth a ****e after 4 or 5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Let them out in a big yard first and let them run around for an hour. Put a wire at one end let them have a smell. You can let them loose later. No wonder I'm seventeen stone, as I don't like running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Let them out in a big yard first and let them run around for an hour. Put a wire at one end let them have a smell. You can let them loose later. No wonder I'm seventeen stone, as I don't like running

No point running unless your being chased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Hello Gawddawggonnit.

I'm a lurker on the Farming thread here for some years, and have read many of your posts with interest.

Do you mind me asking what part of France are you farming in and what were the reasons behind you deciding to move out there in the first place? Apologies if you have answered these questions many times previously.

I’ll pm you sometime...

Maybe you should write a book on it sometime? It could be a hit in two languages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Our protocol for calves is to introduce them to the tape inside in the shed, along the front of a section of the barrier about a foot out from it so that they'll all get a few bangs.
    I'd graduate to an open enclosed yard next and then after a day or so divide it with the tape. After a few days of moving the tape around and changing to white wire they're usually a doddle to move.
    Always fingers crossed until the first lap of the field is completed though.
    No idea about older stock, maybe put tracking devices on them as a precaution? ;D

• Advertisement

Our protocol for calves is to introduce them to the tape inside in the shed, along the front of a section of the barrier about a foot out from it so that they'll all get a few bangs.
    I'd graduate to an open enclosed yard next and then after a day or so divide it with the tape. After a few days of moving the tape around and changing to white wire they're usually a doddle to move.
    Always fingers crossed until the first lap of the field is completed though.
    No idea about older stock, maybe put tracking devices on them as a precaution? ;D

I’ve never had to train animals at 2yo. I’m going to get a couple of spools of the rope that Jay posted, surround an outlie area that’s surrounded by 5rows of barbed wire and try to teach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I’ve never had to train animals at 2yo. I’m going to get a couple of spools of the rope that Jay posted, surround an outlie area that’s surrounded by 5rows of barbed wire and try to teach them.

Barb wire is a bad idea to me they'll run when they are left out and if they don't see it they'll get cut up fairly bad. Anywhere with horse fencing?. If not I'd have them fairly hungry,leave them into a big paddock and feed they some nuts in a trough in the field.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Barb wire is a bad idea to me they'll run when they are left out and if they don't see it they'll get cut up fairly bad. Anywhere with horse fencing?. If not I'd have them fairly hungry,leave them into a big paddock and feed they some nuts in a trough in the field.

Good idea. Hunger is a sweet sauce.

I’ve no post and rail horse fencing but the 5row barbed wire is well dressed with briars...

Are in calf heifers going to run much though? I would let them out in a big yard for a few hours and then let them out to the field

Any straw prices for this year?

15 euro delivered winter barley straw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Rounds of barley collected ex field and paid for in cash €11 for quantities (1000+ bales) although I reckon we can squeeze another euro or two less. 8x4x3 of barley c.€32 but again I hope to get better deals for quantities and cash payment on the day.

My little lorry and trailer was serviced over the weekend and is now ready for work - I wish I was as ready :). OH has been busy drawing rounds of hay for the last few weeks. We are drawing from NCD/Meath/Kildare to Longford/Cavan/Leitrim and surrounding counties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

15eur for 6+3+3 is only price I heard. Bought nothing yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Base price wrote: »
    Rounds of barley collected ex field and paid for in cash €11 for quantities (1000+ bales) although I reckon we can squeeze another euro or two less. 8x4x3 of barley c.€32 but again I hope to get better deals for quantities and cash payment on the day.

My little lorry and trailer was serviced over the weekend and is now ready for work - I wish I was as ready :). OH has been busy drawing rounds of hay for the last few weeks. We are drawing from NCD/Meath/Kildare to Longford/Cavan/Leitrim and surrounding counties

Is that fair the seller to be disclosing prices paid by buying in bulk .I think you are shooting yourself in the foot big time!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

cute geoge wrote: »
    Is that fair the seller to be disclosing prices paid by buying in bulk .I think you are shooting yourself in the foot big time!!!!
    Nope cause I'm not disclosing who the sellers are - they are the same tillage farmers that we have been buying from for over 25 years. Last year when straw was like gold dust we paid them what they asked which at the time was between €18 to €25 euro for rounds of any type of straw, collected and paid for on the day. They are realistic commercial farmers that roll with the economies of scale :)
    Edit - a lot of farmers that we used to supply with straw used peat, wood chip and rushes for bedding last Winter and some of them told us that they will continue to use up excess stocks for this Winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Picking second cut this evening and rained through while we were picking the second half of it. Will the quality be affected, raging with contractor who was late..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

If it's rowed up before the rain then I wouldn't worry about it. Did you notice a more moisture as they were going through it?

Base price wrote: »

Best of luck for the campaign BP.

Interesting how you publicly display your buying power...without disclosing your retail price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If it's rowed up before the rain then I wouldn't worry about it. Did you notice a more moisture as they were going through it?
    It's wet in the pit this morning not savage but wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It would be hard for BP to name a price as there would be various factors incl draw, part or full load etc. With a lot of customers around the midlands, their business would be fairly transparent IWT.
    For example ATM I would expect someone trading in silage bales to be able to pick them up for close to €20. If you ask for a load delivered, you know the difference.

Was talking to a man who sells straw today. He said to wait a few weeks and straw will go way down in price. Alot of lads panic bought last year and didnt use half of it. There wont be a big demand this year according to him

Was talking to a man who sells straw today. He said to wait a few weeks and straw will go way down in price. Alot of lads panic bought last year and didnt use half of it. There wont be a big demand this year according to him

A lot of winter barley cut around here and baled up with very little of it been shifted, the beef man isn’t going to want it at any price given the state of play at the minute and dairy farmers just usually buy a set amount each year, the amount of shed space after been used up with hay is a factor too....

Have heard the exact same down here as both of ye have said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

A lot of winter barley cut around here and baled up with very little of it been shifted, the beef man isn’t going to want it at any price given the state of play at the minute and dairy farmers just usually buy a set amount each year, the amount of shed space after been used up with hay is a factor too....

200 bales will do us this year, usually buy 800 or so. Not one bit sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

200 bales will do us this year, usually buy 800 or so. Not one bit sorry

''High prices cure high prices'' ain't it a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/markets-and-trends/dairy-markets/no-bull-calf-left-behind-for-morrisons-dairy-farmers

No to shooting bull calves...how soon before pur buyers start asking for the same..

Can our processors differentiate, or will we be all tarred with the same brush?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, ours will insist on it, but no premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Lucky Siobhan got her pay rise before the revised 2019 earnings came out, their sports nutrition business looks to be in big trouble re profitability, it’s a sector that’s become seriously over saturated in recent years, I wonder how they’ll cover this loss( milk price drops) would be the educated guess

Lucky Siobhan got her pay rise before the revised 2019 earnings came out, their sports nutrition business looks to be in big trouble re profitability, it’s a sector that’s become seriously over saturated in recent years, I wonder how they’ll cover this loss( milk price drops) would be the educated guess

Doesn't sound good really when in reality glanbia board have put their eggs in that basket. Will they pay for it.... No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

visatorro wrote: »
    Doesn't sound good really when in reality glanbia board have put their eggs in that basket. Will they pay for it.... No.

Just reading through the report and I don't quite understand what's going on. Revenue has increased but costs seem to have sky rocketed in the "selling and distribution" category. Siobhan is blaming external factors yet selling and distribution should totally be in her control?

Glanbia shares at €11.97 at the moment !

Glanbia shares at €11.97 at the moment !

What were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Just reading through the report and I don't quite understand what's going on. Revenue has increased but costs seem to have sky rocketed in the "selling and distribution" category. Siobhan is blaming external factors yet selling and distribution should totally be in her control?

They spent, from memory, €100 million plus on an American brand with a significant online presence about 2/3 years ago to boost online sales for sports nutrition products as that was becoming a/the major route to market for these products. By last autumn the majority of their online sales were through Amazon with Amazon taking 15% straight off the top. There's your external factors and skyrocketing selling and distribution costs. I wouldn't mind betting the same genius drove the purchase of that company and the change to Amazon. Probably got two significant pay rises for coming up with both notions.

Edit. There's no wonder that share price has tanked. Stock market doesn't reward stupidity. Time for our directors to start looking for some heads. All we want from glanbia plc now is dividends and share price rises. Very easy metric to measure. Anyone not delivering, out.

They spent, from memory, €100 million plus on an American brand with a significant online presence about 2/3 years ago to boost online sales for sports nutrition products as that was becoming a/the major route to market for these products. By last autumn the majority of their online sales were through Amazon with Amazon taking 15% straight off the top. There's your external factors and skyrocketing selling and distribution costs. I wouldn't mind betting the same genius drove the purchase of that company and the change to Amazon. Probably got two significant pay rises for coming up with both notions.

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement