Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Jesus wept.

OPM dawg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

OPM dawg.

Exactly.
    Christ above it must lovely to be spending OPM with zero repercussions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They spent, from memory, €100 million plus on an American brand with a significant online presence about 2/3 years ago to boost online sales for sports nutrition products as that was becoming a/the major route to market for these products. By last autumn the majority of their online sales were through Amazon with Amazon taking 15% straight off the top. There's your external factors and skyrocketing selling and distribution costs. I wouldn't mind betting the same genius drove the purchase of that company and the change to Amazon. Probably got two significant pay rises for coming up with both notions.

Edit. There's no wonder that share price has tanked. Stock market doesn't reward stupidity. Time for our directors to start looking for some heads. All we want from glanbia plc now is dividends and share price rises. Very easy metric to measure. Anyone not delivering, out.

Their race is run now unless they have a dramatic market turnaround, can’t see them been able to raise massive amounts of capital to keep funding buying up companies to inflate earnings etc on the back of a tanking share price, they have been found out big time it was always just a matter to time to be fair

visatorro wrote: »
    What were they?

Was up past 18 euro in March didn’t think the drop had been so severe till I looked it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Was up past 18 euro in March didn’t think the drop had been so severe till I looked it up

They were 14 euro yesterday .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

visatorro wrote: »
    What were they?

They are down about 8 euros since the last spin out and creation of glanbia Ireland
    That's approaching a 50% drop

The problem is accountability
    60% of the shares via farmers themselves and the CoOp are farmer owned
    Directors are shared ,and chair persons
    No one to shout what the fUck at the management
    Management still get huge bonuses
    In any other company, there'd be calls for sackings long ago and/or the company would be bought out
    The fear of the latter doesn't exist in Glanbia
    The fear of no bonuses doesn't either
    Both are the chief tools in the box to whip management ass into shape to at least be able to see their competitors exhaust fumes in the distance
    Ultimately that's the farmers fault

whelan2 wrote: »
    They were 14 euro yesterday .....

Under 11 euro now. The lowest they have been since 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Just press the follow/unfollow in the top left of the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You'd wonder what will happen to the share price if they miss earning targets for the full year after reducing them yesterday. Unless there is a significant margin recovery I can't see them doing it. (hitting the new target).

• Advertisement

That share price drop has serious implications for Glanbia's ability to raise funds
    The value of the company on which they'd borrow or raise funds in other ways but still borrowings has literally near halved

It'll make for an interesting time if they decide their only course to fund anything is to go back to the poor old Co OP members to sell them something they already own again...

So I take it we'll have a drop in milk price this month so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Do they own a % of Ornua? They will be delighted with the Dairygold motion to cash it in.

So I take it we'll have a drop in milk price this month so.....

That'll depend on what the co-op cartel decides.

Not sure about it's purchase decisions. I remember reading that buying Slim Fast was the purchase of falling retail model. Someone was delighted to offload it. Unilever had lost its shirt on it previously.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    They are down about 8 euros since the last spin out and creation of glanbia Ireland
    That's approaching a 50% drop

The problem is accountability
    60% of the shares via farmers themselves and the CoOp are farmer owned
    Directors are shared ,and chair persons
    No one to shout what the fUck at the management
    Management still get huge bonuses
    In any other company, there'd be calls for sackings long ago and/or the company would be bought out
    The fear of the latter doesn't exist in Glanbia
    The fear of no bonuses doesn't either
    Both are the chief tools in the box to whip management ass into shape to at least be able to see their competitors exhaust fumes in the distance
    Ultimately that's the farmers fault

Would love to know if the board/higher management are off-loading shares they
    have pocketed in anticipation of a total collapse, ever since the China baby powder/belview story that they sold us and its total failure to deliver on a increased milk price it was pretty easy to see through them to be honest....
    Got into a fairly heated argument with Mr.Keane one night at a local meeting a few years ago when I asked some sticky questions and called him out on lies he was trying to fob us off with, he ended the conversation with a remark about my intelligence and reading ability, when a man like that is looking after the supposed interests of ourselves you know the game is up

have pocketed in anticipation of a total collapse, ever since the China baby powder/belview story that they sold us and its total failure to deliver on a increased milk price it was pretty easy to see through them to be honest....
    Got into a fairly heated argument with Mr.Keane one night at a local meeting a few years ago when I asked some sticky questions and called him out on lies he was trying to fob us off with, he ended the conversation with a remark about my intelligence and reading ability, when a man like that is looking after the supposed interests of ourselves you know the game is up

We were told we were sabotaging Glanbias future development a few years ago . Ffs we saved farmers from themselves on that terrible first deal they had out years ago.

That would be insider trading and is illegal

Yeah Whelan and it doubled in value in a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Suckling cow.

I've a pair of cow's that have started suckling, a bunch of them started it as heifers a few years back and I put the plastic nosepieces on them and never heard from them again until this week.
    So when I finally caught the culprit I put a new nosepiece on her, that worked for one day, then I put screws through the nosepieces both ways to cover the flick up, that worked for another day only.
    The problem I think is that the donor cow is fond of it now and is probably arseing up to the sicker and letting down. I've them separated but that's not a long term option.
    Any tips?

Suckling cow.

I've a pair of cow's that have started suckling, a bunch of them started it as heifers a few years back and I put the plastic nosepieces on them and never heard from them again until this week.
    So when I finally caught the culprit I put a new nosepiece on her, that worked for one day, then I put screws through the nosepieces both ways to cover the flick up, that worked for another day only.
    The problem I think is that the donor cow is fond of it now and is probably arseing up to the sicker and letting down. I've them separated but that's not a long term option.
    Any tips?

Buy the anti sucking devices, with the spikes 2 of them each and put one each way in each of them. They are around 6.50 each

Learnt a lesson here recently. Was cutting corners as I had a lot on. Stopped teat spraying cows. Scc was around 100. Gradually crept up. 3 cases of mastitis. Scc went to 320. Back teat spraying and scc back to 125

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Suckling cow.

if you have a cow box and a local mart , away with you and when you get home every day put a fiver in the holiday kitty because that bitch is robbing you .

Better spread that new message about 50/60 cow herds being viable and profitable. All the young lads coming out of ag colleges think anything less than 2/300 cows is a waste of time.

These lads seem to be thinking of an new/old idea too. A milking cow that can produce a good beef calf.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/dairy-focus-thinking-outside-the-box-in-co-kilkenny/

• Advertisement

Almost 19000 herds with 10-19 cows in 2018. That's a lot of small herds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

straight wrote: »

Would you look at that!!
    Teagasc have just solved the beef crisis...often the solution is staring you straight in the face!
    (Teagasc solution!).

Is there any chance they’d change the fcukin record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Most of the dairy farmers around here are less than 50 cow herds with a few under 20 and the majority of them would be over 60 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

ah i think that mite be the no. of cows in herds that have 10-19 cows rather than the no. of herds with 10-19 ccows... but i could b wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

According to that research there are 10 more dairy herds in kildare since 2010, there are that many within a 5 mile radius of where I live.

• Advertisement

According to that research there are 10 more dairy herds in kildare since 2010, there are that many within a 5 mile radius of where I live.

But how many have shut down. First time I've seen it acknowledged that there are less dairy farms in the country now. All the commentary is generally on new entrants.

Water John wrote: »
    Better spread that new message about 50/60 cow herds being viable and profitable. All the young lads coming out of ag colleges think anything less than 2/300 cows is a waste of time.

These lads seem to be thinking of an new/old idea too. A milking cow that can produce a good beef calf.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/dairy-focus-thinking-outside-the-box-in-co-kilkenny/

If the figures quoted are correct re production them heifers are in the top 1% in the world for production having looked at the pictures I just can’t see them being 50 liter 800kgs plus milk solids animals

ah i think that mite be the no. of cows in herds that have 10-19 cows rather than the no. of herds with 10-19 ccows... but i could b wrong

I thought u were being a smartass but ya you're right.

If the figures quoted are correct re production them heifers are in the top 1% in the world for production having looked at the pictures I just can’t see them being 50 liter 800kgs plus milk solids animals

We'll all be switching if them figures are accurate.

Jay you're probably right. As they say, paper never refused ink. But if they only milked the same, they would be a better option for some, esp the guy who carries the cattle as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

But how many have shut down. First time I've seen it acknowledged that there are less dairy farms in the country now. All the commentary is generally on new entrants.

2 is all I can think of, and 1 of them was probably prior to 2010

Jay you're probably right. As they say, paper never refused ink. But if they only milked the same, they would be a better option for some, esp the guy who carries the cattle as well.

Have 20 1st cross flecks to calve down next year, and 20 calves, done a nice bit of research into the breed and 9000 liters of a mature cow doing 700kgs ms is the top end of their breeding in a housed tmr system, the figures in that article are unbelievable to put it mildly if true

I thought you had some. Good luck with the venture. Keep us posted, on the reality.
    They look a good option for this country. I'm like an old broken record about a dual purpose animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have 20 1st cross flecks to calve down next year, and 20 calves, done a nice bit of research into the breed and 9000 liters of a mature cow doing 700kgs ms is the top end of their breeding in a housed tmr system, the figures in that article are unbelievable to put it mildly if true

Have 3 crosses here, I'd say they will be doing very well to do their weight in ms when mature tbh, hard to see it happening. Have fr doing as well and 80 kgs lighter. One will have the output in Litres but her mother had more north American breeding hol in her. Hard to believe what's written in that article. I'd say twice ever have we had heifers hit 2k gallons, and they would have been 2 exceptional autumn calvers, calved at 2.5 I'd say, back when we were in winter milk with ideal forage and meal all fed thru the feeder for the winter/ spring and a good summer following. Exceptions rather than the rule tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Ah here now...Currently doing 3.2kgms a day as heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

'We're looking to sell all the bull calves for breeding' is all you really need to know about that article

They are good for 8 lactations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Base price wrote: »
    Most of the dairy farmers around here are less than 50 cow herds with a few under 20 and the majority of them would be over 60 years of age.
    It stated in an agriland article the other day that a third of all dairy farms in Ireland have less than 50 cows which I found hard to believe as there's none in this area

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    It stated in an agriland article the other day that a third of all dairy farms in Ireland have less than 50 cows which I found hard to believe as there's none in this area

Well I don't know your location but I'm in cork in traditional dairying heartland and there is plenty farmers around the 50 cow mark. Plenty giving it up too with no successors. The larger start-ups seem to be in leinster - glanbia territory. Another observation I've made is that all the poster boys seem to be newbie start-ups and there's no write ups on the established guys much. You would think they would have plenty info to share.

How do people know how many cows people farming around them have? Btw there used to be about 8 dairy farmers around me. There's 3 of us now. I also don't know any farmers under 50 cows. But then I don't know how many cows these people have.Not many new entrants here either

How do people know how many cows people farming around them have? Btw there used to be about 8 dairy farmers around me. There's 3 of us now. I also don't know any farmers under 50 cows. But then I don't know how many cows these people have.Not many new entrants here either

Alot of my neighbours, friends and family have 50 - 70 cows.

dar31 wrote: »
    Ah here now...Currently doing 3.2kgms a day as heifers

Probably nearly double what on paper they should do

Ah Whelan, easy to know you've flat land. With hills and rolling land it's very easy to see the number of cows in the field.

Ah Whelan, easy to know you've flat land. With hills and rolling land it's very easy to see the number of cows in the field.

Nope plenty of hills cant see much though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Alot of my neighbours, friends and family have 50 - 70 cows.

There's a man living close to a sister of mine who has 19 cows, 4 heifers and 5 calves. That's what his father had and he won't keep one animal more than that number.

He manages to fill his day doing stuff but mostly topping because the grass gets too strong for his herd all summer.

He's happy out though so that counts for something I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement