Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Bps balance out tomorrow. Badly needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

straight wrote: »

Think of us who have no payment what so ever yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

straight wrote: »

“Balance”, we’ve received zero thus far. Hoping for 100% tomorrow.

“Balance”, we’ve received zero thus far. Hoping for 100% tomorrow.

You can see it on agfood now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Ignorance.
    I didn’t know any better. I rotate grass with maize etc, but that field is shallow and very dry, so I said I’d leave it in permanent pasture. To get area aid on permanent pasture it must be a minimum of a 6 way mix. Downside of permanent pastures is that you can’t ever change back to tillage...I’ll stick maize into it again next year.
    When did mixed species swards come up on the radar in France, given that it would seem to be official policy now? Are they becoming normalised?
    We're only waking up to them now and even at that their still seen as fringe and a backward step by the mainstream ryegrass free N establishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mooooo wrote: »
    How were they presented, backwards, etc? Have they been in a different group or on a different diet to those whom have calved before this point? Do you do mineral analysis of the forage? Could take them to the dvo lab equivalent put there to see if there is anything also

Turns out that two of the calvings were twins that waited nearly a day for the second twin to come...that might indicate something is up?
    The third stillborn was 34 days before time.
    9 have calved since without any bother whatsoever, so steady as she goes.
    I’ll be keeping an eye on how things progress.

When did mixed species swards come up on the radar in France, given that it would seem to be official policy now? Are they becoming normalised?
    We're only waking up to them now and even at that their still seen as fringe and a backward step by the mainstream ryegrass free N establishments.

It’s been discussed with decades but with ever stricter regulation of nitrogen it’s very topical now. Mixed species grasses, clovers and herbs will add some drought resistance also with the likes of the newer fescues, cocksfoot, plantains etc.
    Since the Paris Accord the Dept of Ag etc have been researching ways to increase carbon storage and try to ameliorate the risk of drought. It’s not going down well with farmers that when you’ve continuous pasture (5yrs or more) you can’t ever return it to tillage.

Mixed species pasture can actually compare quite favorably with high N monoculture grasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Turns out that two of the calvings were twins that waited nearly a day for the second twin to come...that might indicate something is up?
    The third stillborn was 34 days before time.
    9 have calved since without any bother whatsoever, so steady as she goes.
    I’ll be keeping an eye on how things progress.

Could be subclinical milk fever on the twins? Are the lads/ ladies who calved them experienced? Would always check for a second calf here if calf born is small or early. The 34 days one could be anything, cow may have gotten a belt off another cow or something like that

It’s been discussed with decades but with ever stricter regulation of nitrogen it’s very topical now. Mixed species grasses, clovers and herbs will add some drought resistance also with the likes of the newer fescues, cocksfoot, plantains etc.
    Since the Paris Accord the Dept of Ag etc have been researching ways to increase carbon storage and try to ameliorate the risk of drought. It’s not going down well with farmers that when you’ve continuous pasture (5yrs or more) you can’t ever return it to tillage.

Mixed species pasture can actually compare quite favorably with high N monoculture grasses.

I think I like the idea of mixed pastures. Should be better for the cows mineral intakes, etc and better for soil health maybe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Another bit on buildup of carbon in the soil.

https://lachefnet.wordpress.com/2019/08/03/soil-carbon-saturation-myth-or-reality/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

We may need to open a thread of it's own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

What do you do with cows with ketosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

visatorro wrote: »

Drench with glycol, iv dextrose, try to keep them eating out reduce the negative energy as much as possible. Fresh Calver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

C0N0R wrote: »
    Drench with glycol, iv dextrose, try to keep them eating out reduce the negative energy as much as possible. Fresh Calver?

Yeah iv a couple of them. Not enough protein in dry cow diet??? So I'm told..

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Did anyone see the front of the Farming Indo. What the fcck are they thinking printing that.
    Calves being killed with block hammers and plastic bags is just not happening

Chanatol.

• Advertisement

Did anyone see the front of the Farming Indo. What the fcck are they thinking printing that.

Who let that out on the front of the paper ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The ibr problem coming in 2021, would of been alot better headline, why is their a johnes program been prioritised over a ibr one, bvd testing should be scrapped and mandatory ibr vaccination instead also, but that wouldn't keep the labs in business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I said it on here last week, but that f##ker McCullough is nothing short of an enemy to farming now. he has a clear agenda about him - and its not for our good

The sooner he is taken out of all media the better for all Irish farmers - he turning into a right parasite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Another bit on buildup of carbon in the soil.

https://lachefnet.wordpress.com/2019/08/03/soil-carbon-saturation-myth-or-reality/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

We may need to open a thread of it's own.
    We don't have the climate for those sort of soils even if the sward composition was changed to match it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

whelan2 wrote: »

Media are threat rouse, why does the likes of independent turn on the same farmers that buy there paper every Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I had a BB inspection recently and one of the first questions the inspector asked after getting out of their vehicle was what happens to the calves and what was the mortality rate on the farm.
    I replied was that not just a stupid question to be asking on an inspection when they have all that information already about the farm on the departments system. He agreed but it came from above.
    Back indoors they asked if I had any casualties or stock that was put to sleep. I replied I had one animal that broke a leg and was put down. They were a bit happier then that there was one they could put down on the BB records as being put down from the inspection.

There was a private report to be filled if I had stock going to a particular factory. I didn't have any stock going to that factory and I doubt I will so it wasn't filled out but I thought it rotten form that a private factory is using BB inspectors to go round farms and fill out reports.

The world has gone doolally lately. Must be all those veggie burgers.

The papers print what was said at this meeting.

I'm sure the same reporters will find out the name and address of this perpetrator from former Minister O Keefe for next weeks paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just to keep people up to date, Darragh McCullough is not the editor of the Farming Indo, Margaret Donnelly is.
    Ranting at a journalist reminds me of some politician long ago wanting Gay Byrne taken off the air. Not going to happen. The old, shoot the messenger, line.
    BTW, I too have heard of a young farmer euthenasing calves. His own father told me, so it isn't a tale. Problem needs to be nipped in the bud, not bury our heads in the sand.
    Now their is an argument to saying, what's wrong with humane killing of them? We do it to male goats, we do it to male chicks.

Panch18 wrote: »
    ... but that f##ker McCullough is nothing short of an enemy to farming now.

There's three journalists you can tag on that headline and article, Claire Fox, Martin Ryan, and the editor Margaret Donnelly. I'm no great fan of Darragh but you've the wrong target here with your rabble rousing.

It is very bad form of them to publish the rantings of a crank like twice disgraced former Junior Minister O'Keeffe, and it has sidelined a lot of positives from the meeting.

If I was cynical I would say that it was a political stunt to keep the Taoiseach and Minister for Agriculture off the front page. No surprise that it was only the Independent that ran with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭dmakc

My (non-agri) workplace gets the newspapers every day and I had to throw the farming indo into the bin today to avoid people seeing that rubbish

It's undeniable some people have taken on more numbers than they can handle. God knows why, but alot were encouraged down the numbers route by the likes of darragh. Plenty more people said just get the stock numbers up and the facilities can follow. Crazy carry on.

Water John wrote: »
    Just to keep people up to date, Darragh McCullough is not the editor of the Farming Indo, Margaret Donnelly is.
    Ranting at a journalist reminds me of some politician long ago wanting Gay Byrne taken off the air. Not going to happen. The old, shoot the messenger, line.
    BTW, I too have heard of a young farmer euthenasing calves. His own father told me, so it isn't a tale. Problem needs to be nipped in the bud, not bury our heads in the sand.
    Now their is an argument to saying, what's wrong with humane killing of them? We do it to male goats, we do it to male chicks.

The Department system is broken then if it's happening on farm and not being investigated.

You could say the teagasc pushing students to become immune to it in New Zealand was a problem too.

Seriously though Walter John I don't know anyone around here doing it. Maybe it's a CORK thing with low prices and big herds down there.

The trouble is we do love to talk ourselves into trouble as well. I had to block a few so called proponents of regenerative agriculture elsewhere on social media after I copped their operandi was just to attack what other so called conventional farmers were doing which they didn't really have a clue about and themselves not really doing much or posting much about their own systems. There's no shortage of armchair whinners out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agreed. He doesn't farm in Cork BTW.

Agreed. He doesn't farm in Cork BTW.

I never knew you were out in Mongolia..

There's three journalists you can tag on that headline and article, Claire Fox, Martin Ryan, and the editor Margaret Donnelly. I'm no great fan of Darragh but you've the wrong target here with your rabble rousing.

It is very bad form of them to publish the rantings of a crank like twice disgraced former Junior Minister O'Keeffe, and it has sidelined a lot of positives from the meeting.

If I was cynical I would say that it was a political stunt to keep the Taoiseach and Minister for Agriculture off the front page. No surprise that it was only the Independent that ran with it.

There's no doubt that the farming Indo has gone completely tabloid since Donnelly took over after leaving Agriland. And Darragh feeds right into that style. <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Not enough energy in fresh cow diet or cows in too good a condition at calving I would have said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Darragh McCullogh is the deputy editor of the Farming independent - he knows damn well what is being published in that paper on a weekly basis as he had DIRECT INPUT into it

Winter milk diet should be 16% protein. Perhaps a transition diet for dry cow's in the 2 week before calving would help, similar to milkers but without the cal mag

An interesting tweet showing the sweet point between sequestration and maximising outputs from today's dairy conference.
    https://twitter.com/McEvoy_M/status/1201808437975363584?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

There's no doubt that the farming Indo has gone completely tabloid since Donnelly took over after leaving Agriland. And Darragh feeds right into that style. <snip>

hes a bit sensational no doubt..... however i would still read him or Donnelly before i would larrys Chief of staff in the farmers journal....

and Buford in fairness not all contributors to farming Indo are bad... some are good... but what sure what else would i say...:D:D

Chanatol.
    You can get it put in the nuts if the problem is big enough or you're afraid of sub acute levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Theres a story running in the UK farming press this week about serious calf abuse at a farm belonging to a guy high up in the industry there - I think we may expect a lot of this sort of coverage over the next few years as big dairy comes more and more under the spotlight by journos,main stream press, NGO's, etc. Its a well established path that the pig and poultry business know all about. A few dodgy operators are going to do serious damage in this area I'm afraid

The booklet from the National Dairy Conference is in the link in the tweet below.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1202340574310936578?s=19

The booklet from the National Dairy Conference is in the link in the tweet below.

Can’t understand that retarded paper on system drift, Teagasc are safe enough lads aren’t going to jump ship to 9000 litre tmr housed herds given they have 95% of the cows breed in the country to their ideal grassland genetics that they simply would bankrupt any dairy farmer that would attempt it with high “ebi” stock Why their still pushing stocking rates at 3 plus cows to the hectare on the milking platform is beyond me, they know new nitrate regulations will put a stop to it, the bull calf issue wasn’t delved into much either, all heads in the sands, lets make some shiny graphs about high production herds been environmental bandits, but tommy down the road stocked at 4 cows /ha in derogation with the farm illuminous green year round from all that environmental friendly protected urea he’s putting out is in line for a Nobel peace price for helping to save the planet.....

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Can’t understand that retarded paper on system drift, Teagasc are safe enough lads aren’t going to jump ship to 9000 litre tmr housed herds given they have 95% of the cows breed in the country to their ideal grassland genetics that they simply would bankrupt any dairy farmer that would attempt it with high “ebi” stock Why their still pushing stocking rates at 3 plus cows to the hectare on the milking platform is beyond me, they know new nitrate regulations will put a stop to it, the bull calf issue wasn’t delved into much either, all heads in the sands, lets make some shiny graphs about high production herds been environmental bandits, but tommy down the road stocked at 4 cows /ha in derogation with the farm illuminous green year round from all that environmental friendly protected urea he’s putting out is in line for a Nobel peace price for helping to save the planet.....

In fairness Jay it’s not as easy as all that.
    Teagasc are kinda caught between a rock and a hard place. Farms are small, milk price is poor, and farmers need to pile on as many cows/ha as possible.
    The real dilemma is farm size.

Saying that the onus is surely on Teagasc to go find solutions for when nitrate regulation gets severe...
    The bull calf issue is being dealt with on a day to day timescale...talk up the beef game, instill ‘confidence’ in beef and hope for the best. Not good enough. Teagasc need to face up to the fact that there’s a huge probability that live exports of calves will be stopped. Yesterday was late to find solutions for when that happens.

In fairness Jay it’s not as easy as all that.
    Teagasc are kinda caught between a rock and a hard place. Farms are small, milk price is poor, and farmers need to pile on as many cows/ha as possible.
    The real dilemma is farm size.

Saying that the onus is surely on Teagasc to go find solutions for when nitrate regulation gets severe...
    The bull calf issue is being dealt with on a day to day timescale...talk up the beef game, instill ‘confidence’ in beef and hope for the best. Not good enough. Teagasc need to face up to the fact that there’s a huge probability that live exports of calves will be stopped. Yesterday was late to find solutions for when that happens.

Simply maths would suggest a million dairy cow and followers doing 8 billion litres of milk, is surely more nitrate friendly and lessens the calf issue than 1.5 million cows and followers doing the same amount of milk....
    They are typical public service absolutely no desire to tackle any of the most pressing issues while just window dressing and looking for minor issues to take the onus of their own failings to tackle what's coming down the line fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Simply maths would suggest a million dairy cow and followers doing 8 billion litres of milk, is surely more nitrate friendly and lessens the calf issue than 1.5 million cows and followers doing the same amount of milk....
    They are typical public service absolutely no desire to tackle any of the most pressing issues while just window dressing and looking for minor issues to take the onus of their own failings to tackle what's coming down the line fast

It's like they were just saying anything without thinking about it. Target increasing stocking rate to 2.8 average from 2.1 while 2 thirds of dairy farms also diverting >5% of their land towards biodiversity habitats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

The specific advise was not to go above 2.8 as the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Not introduced at this conference, but nowhere in the world is there a correlation between milk yield and profitability. If there is any correlation between profitability and any other parameter it is that higher profitability can be linked to the %of grazed grass in the diet...that's the only one..

All other profatibily parameters are linked to operator capability.

The creep concern referred to the fact that our stated marketing ploy from Ireland was the "grass fed" product....our USP...to mess with this chasing as yet unproven extra profits, would be detrimental to both sales and environment..

If there can be more profit made from increasing yield per cow from an increased input point if view, that would be purely down to the capability of the operator and not to the system.

I didn't read the paper, so apologies if it differs from the presentation..

alps wrote: »
    The specific advise was not to go above 2.8 as the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Not introduced at this conference, but nowhere in the world is there a correlation between milk yield and profitability. If there is any correlation between profitability and any other parameter it is that higher profitability can be linked to the %of grazed grass in the diet...that's the only one..

All other profatibily parameters are linked to operator capability.

The creep concern referred to the fact that our stated marketing ploy from Ireland was the "grass fed" product....our USP...to mess with this chasing as yet unproven extra profits, would be detrimental to both sales and environment..

If there can be more profit made from increasing yield per cow from an increased input point if view, that would be purely down to the capability of the operator and not to the system.

I didn't read the paper, so apologies if it differs from the presentation..

Grazed grass of owned land, not costing that million odd euro plus asset that you get all this cheap feed from is a great way to make grazed grass look like a cheap feed, the only case study of another pastoral based system where farmers had to buy land to access all this "cheap feed" at land prices comparable to Ireland is New Zealand and we all know the story with debt levels and profitability their

Look at dairying and it's return over the last 20 30 years. Due to rises in costs in order to provide the same level of effective income farms have had to grow and that will be the same in the future. Depending on lads at different stages in their careers staying at the same level is fine. But personally in my mid 30s now with a share of debt in order to provide a lifestyle to stay at it and a business to support it I feel I have to grow to provide that for 20 years time. Will be at a whole farm sr of 2.6 next year Sr of 2.8 if I could get young stock off the block would be manageable with the cow's, perhaps not on 500kg of meal as I feel that would require a change in cow type that may not suit here either as wet weather may lead to housing cow's early or late in spring but I'm still trying to figure that one out. So I think gawds point of farm size being an issue is very relevant. I've done the winter milk thing and for the extra complications it adds the milk price is not sustainably high enough to cover it. Would want to be up on 40 cent for winter milk with out using solids to boost it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

when they mention stocking rate are they talking about the whole farm or the grazing platform. this is one of my pet hates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

cosatron wrote: »
    when they mention stocking rate are they talking about the whole farm or the grazing platform. this is one of my pet hates.

Stocking rate is nearly always referring to milking platform..its a context thing..

Firstly, would the savoir faire be within the dairy farmers to swing to high yielding cows? Extra workload etc?
    More gmo soya & maize imported from the Americas to feed them...?
    Different for me...other than minerals, everything produced on farm.
    Suppose there was a nitrogen limit imposed of 46u/ac? You could roughly cut cows numbers in half and still run the risk of fodder crises every time the weather doesn’t play ball.
    Farms are just too small to be able to man up to the challenges that are around the corner. Teagasc and the dairy establishment will fight tooth and nail to keep derogation...but will eventually have to accept what Bruxelles demands. Ask the Dutch.

It seems increasingly likely that Teagasc will play along and window dress the dairy calf issue...until the proverbial hits the fan, then they’ll go cap in hand to the minister and deposit that sac du merde squarely on his desk.
    We’ve to be prepared to keep all calves born on farm from mid Jan to mid May because of the cheap calf imports from Ireland. It’s a PITA but the French farmers don’t seem to mind or they’d block the ports...Christ above would think that it’s the end of the world if he/she were to listen to Irish dairy farmers. Methinks dairy farmers got too cosy while there were mugs of beef farmers there to bail them out.

Firstly, would the savoir faire be within the dairy farmers to swing to high yielding cows? Extra workload etc?
    More gmo soya & maize imported from the Americas to feed them...?
    Different for me...other than minerals, everything produced on farm.
    Suppose there was a nitrogen limit imposed of 46u/ac? You could roughly cut cows numbers in half and still run the risk of fodder crises every time the weather doesn’t play ball.
    Farms are just too small to be able to man up to the challenges that are around the corner. Teagasc and the dairy establishment will fight tooth and nail to keep derogation...but will eventually have to accept what Bruxelles demands. Ask the Dutch.

It seems increasingly likely that Teagasc will play along and window dress the dairy calf issue...until the proverbial hits the fan, then they’ll go cap in hand to the minister and deposit that sac du merde squarely on his desk.
    We’ve to be prepared to keep all calves born on farm from mid Jan to mid May because of the cheap calf imports from Ireland. It’s a PITA but the French farmers don’t seem to mind or they’d block the ports...Christ above would think that it’s the end of the world if he/she were to listen to Irish dairy farmers. Methinks dairy farmers got too cosy while there were mugs of beef farmers there to bail them out.

Plenty of obliging tillage men around to grow feed for cows, 400 ton of beet been clamped here after xmas to feed year round, system drift has well and truly got hold of us but at least the cows wont go hungry whatever the weather throws at us haha

Mooooo wrote: »
    Look at dairying and it's return over the last 20 30 years. Due to rises in costs in order to provide the same level of effective income farms have had to grow and that will be the same in the future. Depending on lads at different stages in their careers staying at the same level is fine. But personally in my mid 30s now with a share of debt in order to provide a lifestyle to stay at it and a business to support it I feel I have to grow to provide that for 20 years time. Will be at a whole farm sr of 2.6 next year Sr of 2.8 if I could get young stock off the block would be manageable with the cow's, perhaps not on 500kg of meal as I feel that would require a change in cow type that may not suit here either as wet weather may lead to housing cow's early or late in spring but I'm still trying to figure that one out. So I think gawds point of farm size being an issue is very relevant. I've done the winter milk thing and for the extra complications it adds the milk price is not sustainably high enough to cover it. Would want to be up on 40 cent for winter milk with out using solids to boost it.

Lads will eventually get sick of running to keep up with the rest of society. Plenty farms around here with nobody from the next generation to follow on. Milk price will have to rise. But milk supply will fall below demand first.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement