Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Is it against gdpr ie illegal for advisory council members of a CoOp to have private information held by the processor on suppliers eg litres of milk supplied, quality results,contracts they're in,amounts etc.?

I'd have thought so
    The Penalty by law is quite severe for breaches
    Would you report this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Is it against gdpr ie illegal for advisory council members of a CoOp to have private information held by the processor on suppliers eg litres of milk supplied, quality results,contracts they're in,amounts etc.?

I'd have thought so
    Would you report this?

It depends on the reason for which the data was collected, or the permission that the data owner (the farmer) has given to the coop for its use.

It may be in a terms and conditions of supply that you have agreed to, or indeed in a MSA that you have signed.

We are all really poor at reading and understanding agreements before we sign.

How many times a day do we press "accept" on the phone to access info, and every click is agreeing to the compiling and sharing of your info..

alps wrote: »
    It depends on the reason for which the data was collected, or the permission that the data owner (the farmer) has given to the coop for its use.

It may be in a terms and conditions of supply that you have agreed to, or indeed in a MSA that you have signed.

We are all really poor at reading and understanding agreements before we sign.

How many times a day do we press "accept" on the phone to access info, and every click is agreeing to the compiling and sharing of your info..

I'm pretty sure council members are not employee's though,they are customer's or suppliers like ourselves
    Also can it even be legal to be asked to sign a contract that would break a law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'd have thought so
    Would you report this?
    I would be more concerned of them blabbing what farmers owe on their account etc. In this day and age its nobody else business except the 2 parties involved. I would be very annoyed if I found out someone was blabbing that info about me. Surely they should have the cop on not to do so?

Agreed, but should they have that information in the first place?
    Human nature means its bound to get out if its given willy nilly to ordinary farmers not employee's
    Employees giving it out would definitely be sanctionable I'd imagine

I'm pretty sure council members are not employee's though,they are customer's or suppliers like ourselves
    Also can it even be legal to be asked to sign a contract that would break a law?

Misuse of data is breaking the law..

If they have you're permission to share the data, then they can do so within the parameters of that permission.

You cannot break the law, therefore you cannot be asked to sign a contract that breaks the law.

Misuse of data is rife in farming..

I'm not actually concerned about my own data personally (someone would want to be pretty bored to be interested in mine)
    I am concerned with a case where an advisory council member of a CoOp called to see a certain farmer to push a particular agenda, armed with data from that CoOp that wasn't his own
    It immediately begged the question where was it got and is this information routinely discussed at their meetings
    Apparently so!
    Council members are not employee's and are not board members either,the two categories plausibly allowed to see the information I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Does tb testing do as acupuncture? Don't think my girls would like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

A whole day! Sure you'll be an expert in the secrets of the Orient by the end of it.
    Don't knock it 'til you've tried it they say, maybe it might payback in domestic applications, you could surprise Mrs. Dawg yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Got accused of bouncing a cheque this morning that had been paid out in dec 18 that accountant found hadnt been taken of my bill, same crowd didn't take a card payment of my bill till I pulled them up on it last year.....
    Never gave a lad such a bollicking after the bounced cheque comment, never made a issue over the card payment that was missed, have to get a copy of the cheque now before he will accept it went out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Got accused of bouncing a cheque this morning that had been paid out in dec 18 that accountant found hadnt been taken of my bill, same crowd didn't take a card payment of my bill till I pulled them up on it last year.....
    Never gave a lad such a bollicking after the bounced cheque comment, never made a issue over the card payment that was missed, have to get a copy of the cheque now before he will accept it went out

Will you be dealing with them again in the future?

Most important to check every statement that comes in every month. I have been caught too where money hasn't been taken off my account . Every payment is on a list each month and marked off when it comes out of my account. Whatever hasn't come out goes onto the next months list. Still a cheque I wrote for hay last July to be taken out...

whelan2 wrote: »
    Most important to check every statement that comes in every month. I have been caught too where money hasn't been taken off my account . Every payment is on a list each month and marked off when it comes out of my account. Whatever hasn't come out goes onto the next months list. Still a cheque I wrote for hay last July to be taken out...

Always write paid on chequebook stub once a cheque is cashed. the accuses I was getting where laughable, was told I gave in to many cheques at the time and shouldn't be giving post dated cheques, I reckon they have took the money of another lads account, and dont want to admit it, they couldn't find the invoice book for 18 to verify they even got 3 cheques at the time of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Always write paid on chequebook stub once a cheque is cashed. the accuses I was getting where laughable, was told I gave in to many cheques at the time and shouldn't be giving post dated cheques, I reckon they have took the money of another lads account, and dont want to admit it, they couldn't find the invoice book for 18 to verify they even got 3 cheques at the time of us

If you are using forward dated cheques, are you sure they actually cashed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Panch18 wrote: »

A well known southern coop sent out and invoice to us the other day for stuff we never bought, in a branch we have never been in, going around in circles trying to explain this to them on the phone :confused:

Online statement has cheque number and dates they are cashed from account, showed the girls in office a print out of where 3 cheques went out of account and corresponding cheque book with stubs filled out with their details...
    Bank is sending us out a photocopy of cashed cheque to clear up any confusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Cute lad I worked for out in australia with 3000 odd cows and responsible for 6% of milk production in western Australia,put the place up for sale a few months back and done a story in local paper saying it was been sold to go into biomass production and all land been planted....
    Two months later farm is off the market and milk company is basically running it with owner not responsible for staff anymore our their wages, was a nice bluff...
    Whatever about New Zealand the Australian dairy industry in many regions is in danger of complete wipeout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I always try to get an iban off someone before I'll unwillingly accept to give them a cheque. Only write out about 20 cheques a year now.

Online statement has cheque number and dates they are cashed from account, showed the girls in office a print out of where 3 cheques went out of account and corresponding cheque book with stubs filled out with their details...

And did they check their bank account for a few days either side of when your bank statement shows the cash leaving your account?

This should really take no more than 5 mins to sort out for them. and you shouldn't have to go to any hastle to be honest

And did they check their bank account for a few days either side of when your bank statement shows the cash leaving your account?

This should really take no more than 5 mins to sort out for them. and you shouldn't have to go to any hastle to be honest

Their acting the b***k for some reason, they dont even want the dates where money left my account to correspond with their bank account to see if it was credited , totally adamant they never recieved the money from my account, only for my accountant I'd never of questioned it

Their acting the b***k for some reason, they dont even want the dates where money left my account to correspond with their bank account to see if it was credited , totally adamant they never recieved the money from my account, only for my accountant I'd never of questioned it

Once this is sorted i wouldn't darken their door again if it was me

It's 1 thing making a mistake, these things happen, but to not even check their bank account - pure b####ks

Aren't post dated cheques illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Once this is sorted i wouldn't darken their door again if it was me

It's 1 thing making a mistake, these things happen, but to not even check their bank account - pure b####ks
    Or maybe do one more bit if business with them and leave the bill go good long while.

Sure there always saying that they're not paid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Aren't post dated cheques illegal?

Ye probably already know this but put the full 2020 on the date line on the cheque when filling out.
    If you put 20 any year can be put after it if the receiver happens to want to post date the cheque into the future themselves.

Ye probably already know this but put the full 2020 on the date line on the cheque when filling out.
    If you put 20 any year can be put after it if the receiver happens to want to post date the cheque into the future themselves.
    I'm still putting 12/19 on my cheques.....

They're still adamant even after what you've shown them?
    I'd sue them for slander

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kefflin

Has anyone got a trailer for a quad for moving calfs? Was looking at the jfc but its not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

No cheque book here for a very long time. Operate fine with out it. None of the messing of lads not lodging cheques

• Advertisement

Banks can charge up to €25 to get the photocopy of a cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

kefflin wrote: »
    Has anyone got a trailer for a quad for moving calfs? Was looking at the jfc but its not cheap.

Look up Hartnet trailers in Cork. Got a one with quad wheels and mesh sides with a ramp and access gate. Very versatile little yoke. But I'm afraid you'll be paying about a grand for anything worthwhile.

alps wrote: »
    Banks can charge up to €25 to get the photocopy of a cheque.

Something like 30e or more to get a lost cheque cancelled isn't it ha? Think I've only done that once in my life. If I know and trust the person and they appear to of genuinely lost the cheque I'll write them a new one and tell them to rip up the old one. Again only happened once or twice ever ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Clear herd test thank fcuk. Drive on and finish calf sheds and prep now as the testing will have em landing on quick. Dosed and vacccinated with rotavec as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Chatting a neighbour there who was in Carnew at a clearance sale of a dairy herd today and he gave me his catalogue with all prices recorded.

96 milkers sold including
    18 calved cows,
    5 calved heifers,
    16 first calvers due in the next 2 days to 5 weeks.
    Herd average 1566 gallons last year,
    528 kg milk solids.
    Average EBI 130 protein 3.68 bf 3.5.
    They averaged €1855 a head.

I now have 3 options, sell more sucklers, borrow more money or milk less cows if this is going to be the normal for stock this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Hard to judge on dispersal auctions, people go abit mad. How many do you need? I didn't think you were starting up this spring

visatorro wrote: »
    Hard to judge on dispersal auctions, people go abit mad. How many do you need? I didn't think you were starting up this spring

Ya starting as soon as the parlour is ready. That should be end of February, so meeting the grass really. About 35 this year until I get my grass right and up to 50 next year. That is as much as I will be able to carry really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Grueller wrote: »
    Ya starting as soon as the parlour is ready. That should be end of February, so meeting the grass really. About 35 this year until I get my grass right and up to 50 next year. That is as much as I will be able to carry really.

Really depends how good your grassland is currently.
    With dairying you'll see pretty quickly how good or bad it is because you either will or wont have the grass for them.
    Dairy cows will eat a nice bit more than sucklers.

If you have a good bit of the farm reseeded go for it but if you dont I wouldnt go more than a cow per acre starting out.

I know nothing about your farm or you but that's just an opinion from another dairy farmer

Really depends how good your grassland is currently.
    With dairying you'll see pretty quickly how good or bad it is because you either will or wont have the grass for them.
    Dairy cows will eat a nice bit more than sucklers.

If you have a good bit of the farm reseeded go for it but if you dont I wouldnt go more than a cow per acre starting out.

I know nothing about your farm or you but that's just an opinion from another dairy farmer

35 acres that I can graze without walking on the road so starting at a cow to the acre with no silage to be taken from that as it all comes from a few miles away. Have reseeded 11 acres last year and another 7 about 5 years ago. The rest is ooooold grass so will be at it this year hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

visatorro wrote: »

Was in the mart last year and calved heifers were making 1100-1300 then 2 guys came in where their nsighbour was selling 4. All made above 1750

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Probably been discussed in here before but the Journal has an interesting article this week on dairy expansion. Can’t find the link but it’s more than likely behind a paywall anyway.

All talk was of which farmers would pay for the processors’ expansion to deal with the extra milk coming over the next few years. Should it be those expanding, new entrants, every supplier, etc.

I’m still thinking of going into milk myself so I’ve an interest in the bigger picture, and I know processor capacity is a big issue, but I’d be more concerned about the market being able to absorb and pay a decent price for the extra milk.

If the price drops, then who pays for processor capacity becomes a null issue.

What do people think?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Probably been discussed in here before but the Journal has an interesting article this week on dairy expansion. Can’t find the link but it’s more than likely behind a paywall anyway.

All talk was of which farmers would pay for the processors’ expansion to deal with the extra milk coming over the next few years. Should it be those expanding, new entrants, every supplier, etc.

I’m still thinking of going into milk myself so I’ve an interest in the bigger picture, and I know processor capacity is a big issue, but I’d be more concerned about the market being able to absorb and pay a decent price for the extra milk.

If the price drops, then who pays for processor capacity becomes a null issue.

What do people think?

I'd be pretty confident in 10 years time you'll have processors fighting for milk and alot of plants running at half capacity our mothballed the older ones, the environmental lobby are going to put the brakes on dairy farming in the next 5 years with government backed legislation, this is the boom time for Irish dairying productionwise alot like New Zealand in 2012/2013

Grueller wrote: »
    Chatting a neighbour there who was in Carnew at a clearance sale of a dairy herd today and he gave me his catalogue with all prices recorded.

96 milkers sold including
    18 calved cows,
    5 calved heifers,
    16 first calvers due in the next 2 days to 5 weeks.
    Herd average 1566 gallons last year,
    528 kg milk solids.
    Average EBI 130 protein 3.68 bf 3.5.
    They averaged €1855 a head.

I now have 3 options, sell more sucklers, borrow more money or milk less cows if this is going to be the normal for stock this year.

That was an exceptional herd, and plenty calved down which always command a premium. I'm just picked up 20 heifers mostly on the point of calving for 1350, mix of fr and xbred, all AI bred with good solids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Timmaay wrote: »
    That was an exceptional herd, and plenty calved down which always command a premium. I'm just picked up 20 heifers mostly on the point of calving for 1350, mix of fr and xbred, all AI bred with good solids.

I'd say it's generally exceptional management as much as breeding.

I'd be pretty confident in 10 years time you'll have processors fighting for milk and alot of plants running at half capacity our mothballed the older ones, the environmental lobby are going to put the brakes on dairy farming in the next 5 years with government backed legislation, this is the boom time for Irish dairying productionwise alot like New Zealand in 2012/2013

Still good scope for dairy expansion in both leinster and connacht I think, and as lads exit other less profitable enterprises this land will come on the rental market for dairying. Agreed that SRs of the likes of 3lu/ha and 250kgN can't last but there are a hell of alot of acres out there well under this SR in them 2 provinces.

straight wrote: »
    I'd say it's generally exceptional management as much as breeding.

Agreed and if you don't think your up to that level of management then it's an absolute waste of money paying that premium for an animal that you won't get anything more out of than say a 1300e animal.

Tank in new shed filled up with slurry. Big job to get it out. There was a good bit of rainwater going into tank at my old shed plus dairy washing put in each week. Thinking of diverting
    downpipe into tank. Tank is empty now. What do others do? Will probably start putting dairy washing into it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Tank in new shed filled up with slurry. Big job to get it out. There was a good bit of rainwater going into tank at my old shed plus dairy washing put in each week. Thinking of diverting
    downpipe into tank. Tank is empty now. What do others do? Will probably start putting dairy washing into it

Do you mean you had to draw in water to get it agitator.
    Generally i just agitate enough to nice slurry and spread it away and as year goes on i m adding washing s to it all the time till it mixes nicely and empty it then
    I find pump agitator and layflat hose very handy for moving and agitating

K.G. wrote: »
    Do you mean you had to draw in water to get it agitator.
    Generally i just agitate enough to nice slurry and spread it away and as year goes on i m adding washing s to it all the time till it mixes nicely and empty it then
    I find pump agitator and layflat hose very handy for moving and agitating

Ye had to put alot of water in to get it to pump out to fields. Silage is very dry too which isn't helping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Extra bales here a disaster this year. Contractor understandably wouldn't use pipes. Plenty of water in all the tanks but feckin lumps of silage hard to get rid of. Most tanks either have washing or I can divert rainwater if needs be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement