Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭The Rabbi

The useless and inept cannot be got rid of in the public sector,at any level.They are promoted out of harms way by equally inept people,if they promoted somebody competent it would show them up for what they are.If they started to sack the inept the top floors would have to be emptied first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Birdnuts wrote: »
    One of my pet hates that:mad:

Illegal here...however they only penalise farmers because the fine is €3300 and it’s simple to take that from sfp, but it’s a lot more complicated to get it from home owners through the courts process.

With the last few years homeowners are using gas fired blowtorches to burn weeds around the house...with the inevitable spike in houses burned down, which results in insurance companies up in arms. Law of unintended consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Illegal here...however they only penalise farmers because the fine is €3300 and it’s simple to take that from sfp, but it’s a lot more complicated to get it from home owners through the courts process.

With the last few years homeowners are using gas fired blowtorches to burn weeds around the house...with the inevitable spike in houses burned down, which results in insurance companies up in arms. Law of unintended consequences.
    Is that due to people not removing the the gas cannister when storing? Sorry but I can't tonk of any other other way that a weed burner would set fire to a house.... unless... it was used on the pot plants and the curtains went up... !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Is that due to people not removing the the gas cannister when storing? Sorry but I can't tonk of any other other way that a weed burner would set fire to a house.... unless... it was used on the pot plants and the curtains went up... !

Burning off weeds with a gas blowtorch in full summer drought at 35-40*C is a recipe for disaster. The weeds would be crispy dry, as would the grass.
    It’s now illegal to burn anything, even timber, from June to Sept.
    Local town councils have adapted the blowtorch method also...local council lad accidentally set fire to an artic when the grass around the unit took fire.
    Think along the lines of the recent fires in OZ.

It’s gone ridiculous now...a mayor of a small town decreed that it was illegal for farmers to spray glyphosate within 100m of industrial and dwelling houses...to better that the neighboring town mayor decreed that people will be fined €50 for taking a p1ss within 5m of a field or watercourse. His reasoning was that the contraceptive pill, makeup etc etc is a lot more harmful to the environment than glyphosate...crazy stuff, but it shows the level of uncertainty, and possibly ignorance, surrounding the glyphosate debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bord Bia passed this morning, all set to go for another 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

There coming away in now, cow no5 of today calving, had first set of twins this morning at 3, heifers, hope there won't be too many more sets. Still a shed or two to get right, let the cow's calved over two days out to a paddock by day, as much to have them out the way at the minute. How long do ye wait before putting a fresh calver to grass?

Mooooo wrote: »
    There coming away in now, cow no5 of today calving, had first set of twins this morning at 3, heifers, hope there won't be too many more sets. Still a shed or two to get right, let the cow's calved over two days out to a paddock by day, as much to have them out the way at the minute. How long do ye wait before putting a fresh calver to grass?

I put them straight out after the first herd milking.

Worst thing about Powerhosing the parlour is having to empty the feeders and dismantle them to shift the ration already in the bottom before it hardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

anyone else finding ai served animals are calving 2 weeks early this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Mortelaro wrote: »
    They're still adamant even after what you've shown them?
    I'd sue them for slander

Got the copies of 3 cheques they where given this morning, all made out to said company and cashed in their bank branch, sent on the photos of the copies to the bossman and no reply as of yet to apologise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ye. have 25 calves so far not supposed to be starting until today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

i assume now that calving has started and a general election on the way.... this rumoured primetime investigates programmes about bull calves wont be screened if it was ever recorded in the 1st place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Standard enough here for the last few years

Standard enough here for the last few years

What is EU milk made into.
    https://twitter.com/olivergburke/status/1223287493233205248?s=19

Didn't read above tweet correctly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Amazingly, if we consider we cant supply fresh product to the continent, it's still only locking us out of 21%of the market..

Why cant we do better...world class product and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Europeans drink very little milk directly. You'd have to search a french supermarket for it.
    The grass fed labelling may be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

Worst thing about Powerhosing the parlour is having to empty the feeders and dismantle them to shift the ration already in the bottom before it hardens.

Glad to hear I'm not the only person with my parlour powerwashed yet. Had planned on repainting it but I'll hardly get it done now. Expecting calves in the latter half of next week and in no rush with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Water John wrote: »

I should send this in to Board Bia, someone took a drone shot of the local beach but it happens to capture most my farm also.

Anyways I need sleep, another after midnight calving, and back at it in 6 hrs time, 1st of Feb and silly season well and truly here.

• Advertisement

straight wrote: »
    Glad to hear I'm not the only person with my parlour powerwashed yet. Had planned on repainting it but I'll hardly get it done now. Expecting calves in the latter half of next week and in no rush with them.

I'd normally just do the walls after drying off and let the feeders alone because they're not waterproof. Herd test and a few off farm things meant it wasn't done. Pulling out whatever is left in them now to make sure they're working before the cows calve.

I bought some stuff to spray on the walls to kill off that green algae that grows on the walls so I'm hoping less green walls this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'd normally just do the walls after drying off and let the feeders alone because they're not waterproof. Herd test and a few off farm things meant it wasn't done. Pulling out whatever is left in them now to make sure they're working before the cows calve.

I bought some stuff to spray on the walls to kill off that green algae that grows on the walls so I'm hoping less green walls this year.

Power washer guy said spray with chlorine and leave for an hour before power washing off, haven't tried it yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I should send this in to Board Bia, someone took a drone shot of the local beach but it happens to capture most my farm also.

Anyways I need sleep, another after midnight calving, and back at it in 6 hrs time, 1st of Feb and silly season well and truly here.

Seeing some of the land yourself and buford are farming im starting to feel very disadvantaged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Power washer guy said spray with chlorine and leave for an hour before power washing off, haven't tried it yet

+1 on that and a fairly strong solution ,I spray on with knapsack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Water John wrote: »
    Europeans drink very little milk directly. You'd have to search a french supermarket for it.

Well that depends on where you are. The Dutch literally drink it by the gallon, most Dutch would have a pint of milk with their lunch every day, regardless of age

But a lot of places have the treated milk that doesn’t need a fridge, rank stuff really

straight wrote: »

Make that 3!! And first couple dropped the night before last so won’t be happening now!!

Stupid machine isn’t working, can’t get the pump to empty the jar, waiting for machine fella

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »

Looking good there Tim

Would sea spray be much of a problem or is that more a west and south west thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Panch18 wrote: »
    Well that depends on where you are. The Dutch literally drink it by the gallon, most Dutch would have a pint of milk with their lunch every day, regardless of age

But a lot of places have the treated milk that doesn’t need a fridge, rank stuff really

Youngest lad always asks for milk if we are eating out etc. You'd be surprised how many places don't serve a glass of milk

Make that 3!! And first couple dropped the night before last so won’t be happening now!!

Stupid machine isn’t working, can’t get the pump to empty the jar, waiting for machine fella

4! Service lads came the other day for regular service got them to change a valve in the milk pump that seems to cause it to airlock or something, 2nd time in 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tim, it's a lovely pic to hang on the wall.

Fck sake he has a beach beside the farm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭mengele

Let us know what was wrong with it I the end.

Today was a grand day, persistent heavy rain belting down with a few hours now. 18 calves 13 heifers hopefully the run will continue for a bit

On 23 calved 4 heifers and a free Martin fair bad. Would it he the timing of ai?

Nearly always pans out 50/ 50 bulls heifers for all calvings. I ai once a day after morning milking and a cup of tea. Odd time may give a second straw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Yes most of them here anything up to 2 weeks , calves and cows all fine thank god ! Springing the same as normal maybe not the real busting bag but that’s no harm !
    They did it last year before but it stopped after 3/4 weeks best of my knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

There was a huge, massive, pollution discharge from a North Dublin sewage plant late last year. It made TV news and headlined the national papers for a few days. Iirc, a couple of hundred thousand gallons of partially treated waste was discharged into Dublin Bay due to excess rain.

When do you think the fines for that will be issued?

The sewage infrastructure in Dublin old and is set up so that rain water and sewage goes into the one system. If there is heavy rain the tanks would overflow so they just let it straight out to sea. It’s better than letting the tanks get too full and having to let more concentrated stuff out.
    The solution to pollution is dilution
    There were extra tanks going up on the Ringsend treatment plant recently and that only just brought it up to current capacity needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

MF290 wrote: »
    The sewage infrastructure in Dublin old and is set up so that rain water and sewage goes into the one system. If there is heavy rain the tanks would overflow so they just let it straight out to sea. It’s better than letting the tanks get too full and having to let more concentrated stuff out.
    The solution to pollution is dilution
    There were extra tanks going up on the Ringsend treatment plant recently and that only just brought it up to current capacity needed.

Teagasc must have advised them too. Load on the livestock and deal with facilities after.

Anyone know what company, if any, handle the Semex AI agency in Ireland now that they're gone from doing business directly here? I emailed the UK head office and have heard nothing back.

Anyone know what company, if any, handle the Semex AI agency in Ireland now that they're gone from doing business directly here? I emailed the UK head office and have heard nothing back.

Progressive have the Semex agency, they wouldn’t be carrying a huge stock of their bulls though, have often had to order bulls as special orders to get them imported from America/Canada, takes a few months to get them in, but once you order 50 plus straws they will import any bull you want from Semex

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Progressive have the Semex agency, they wouldn’t be carrying a huge stock of their bulls though, have often had to order bulls as special orders to get them imported from America/Canada, takes a few months to get them in, but once you order 50 plus straws they will import any bull you want from Semex
    Sound , thanks Jay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭older by the day

Hi, there, I must order nuts . I usually get 16%dairy. They will get a few hours grass on good days and silage. Around 5 to 6 gallons a day. No high yielders. I hear guys feeding 18% and 20%. Would It pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭mengele

What's soil temp at the moment? Still too low for a bit of fert?

Hi, there, I must order nuts . I usually get 16%dairy. They will get a few hours grass on good days and silage. Around 5 to 6 gallons a day. No high yielders. I hear guys feeding 18% and 20%. Would It pay

What % is your silage? Trying to have overall diet at 16 would be the aim normally so if grass is being taken in consistently I'd stick with the 16. For arguments if they are eating 5 of grass @ 20%p, 5 of silage at 12%p and 5 of meal at 16%p then the overall would be 16. I'd focus on getting a high energy ration with adequate minerals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mengele wrote: »
    What's soil temp at the moment? Still too low for a bit of fert?

7 degrees the last few days where I am in wexford.
    Had planned in getting urea out today but wont happen now. Weather taking a turn so it may stay in the bag. First year in a long time we wont have had it out early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

7 degrees the last few days where I am in wexford.
    Had planned in getting urea out today but wont happen now. Weather taking a turn so it may stay in the bag. First year in a long time we wont have had it out early.

BIL has it out nearly 2 weeks now. Held him up with slurry but should be ok now once we get abit of drying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

Reggie. wrote: »
    BIL has it out nearly 2 weeks now. Held him up with slurry but should be ok now once we get abit of drying

Total waste of money- would have been better to go with slurry first then fert mid February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

stanflt wrote: »
    Total waste of money- would have been better to go with slurry first then fert mid February

Frost here last night soil temp at 12 yesterday 6.5 degrees ,lookin at weather from weekend its staying in bag ,2500 glns slurry our on full milk platform grass is green and healthy looking .afc 1090.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

stanflt wrote: »

Couldn't get out with slurry at the time but it's his show

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Frost here last night soil temp at 12 yesterday 6.5 degrees ,lookin at weather from weekend its staying in bag ,2500 glns slurry our on full milk platform grass is green and healthy looking .afc 1090.

If p and k's plus ph is right their should be enough environmental nitrogen in the ground to support any growth that does come, the cool season grass variety in here has easily grew 15kgs/dm ha daily here and hasnt got n since last August

• Advertisement

Is everyone rushing with urea these days in late Jan early Feb, we normally get a cold or wet spell in Feb. Would we all not be better off for our workload, pockets and environment to hold till late feb early March

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement