Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Reggie. wrote: »
    Couldn't get out with slurry at the time but it's his show

If it was ok to go with the spinner an umbilical system would go out no bother assuming land is around the yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mooooo wrote: »
    If it was ok to go with the spinner an umbilical system would go out no bother assuming land is around the yard

Covers were too heavy in some places and he would have used the pipes on the others if he could have got one. They were like hens teeth a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Is everyone rushing with urea these days in late Jan early Feb, we normally get a cold or wet spell in Feb. Would we all not be better off for our workload, pockets and environment to hold till late feb early March

Itll be mid feb here this year before it's got out and itll be 1st days if match before it's working.
    I've a fairly good soring grass growth record for the last 5 years and we would have had urea out early those years.

I'll know by April if it was a mistake putting it out or not

We have slurry on half the ground around the parlour so theres something out at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

Reggie. wrote: »
    Covers were too heavy in some places and he would have used the pipes on the others if he could have got one. They were like hens teeth a few weeks ago

Can't get the lads with the cord here either. Big storm next Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Is everyone rushing with urea these days in late Jan early Feb, we normally get a cold or wet spell in Feb. Would we all not be better off for our workload, pockets and environment to hold till late feb early March

I’m holding fire till ground temps are 6 and above snd rising ,combine that with weather and ground conditions .pure wreckless going with chemical Fertliser so far this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have many got cows out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What % is your silage? Trying to have overall diet at 16 would be the aim normally so if grass is being taken in consistently I'd stick with the 16. For arguments if they are eating 5 of grass @ 20%p, 5 of silage at 12%p and 5 of meal at 16%p then the overall would be 16. I'd focus on getting a high energy ration with adequate minerals
    There's a big push atm to bring protein down by 2% in purchased feed. I used be looking for 14% here every spring but would have to get a special mix made up so stuck with lower levels of 16%. I think the recommendations for protein % are down by Teagasc as well?
    The early N isn't for grass growth now but for grass regrowths after the first grazing. I saw it here last spring where I was a bag short and 2 acres were left without Urea, the regrowths were much poorer in that section than the rest of the paddock.

The target is to get grass available at 11 to 1200 covers to fill the growth and demand gap in the first 2 weeks of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have many got cows out?

Have the 25 cows calved out by day atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Milkers and maiden heifers out full time last 2wks. I was abit worried about silage in mid Jan, but them 2wks alone of grazing have saved me something like 50 bales. Actually I got told today by a feed rep that I should definitely stick to an 18% if not the 20%+ maize balancer nut I'm using now, because the feed value of the 1st round of grass is no good. Hmmm duno if I'd believe that, especially given how dry the grass is at the second (If the weather changes I'll happily put cows back on leafy silage also).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Timmaay wrote: »
    Milkers and maiden heifers out full time last 2wks. I was abit worried about silage in mid Jan, but them 2wks alone of grazing have saved me something like 50 bales. Actually I got told today by a feed rep that I should definitely stick to an 18% if not the 20%+ maize balancer nut I'm using now, because the feed value of the 1st round of grass is no good. Hmmm duno if I'd believe that, especially given how dry the grass is at the second (If the weather changes I'll happily put cows back on leafy silage also).

Grass sample taken here 23/01 from a cover of 1200kgha
    20.2 dm
    28.9 crude protein
    13 me

Feed rep couldn't justify anything more than a 12% nut even if the get a bit of mz if it turns wet

• Advertisement

20.2 dm
    28.9 crude protein
    13 me

Feed rep couldn't justify anything more than a 12% nut even if the get a bit of mz if it turns wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

dar31 wrote: »
    20.2 dm
    28.9 crude protein
    13 me

Funny thing is the likes of soya hulls and beet pulp are after going crazy in price the wrong side of 200 euro, the 12% nut is going to be very bad value compared to say a 20% with the fillers like hulls and pulp gone so expensive....
    Sub 300 for a 22% nut blown in that's top quality ingredient and mineral wise, it's not bad value

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Funny thing is the likes of soya hulls and beet pulp are after going crazy in price the wrong side of 200 euro, the 12% nut is going to be very bad value compared to say a 20% with the fillers like hulls and pulp gone so expensive....
    Sub 300 for a 22% nut blown in that's top quality ingredient and mineral wise, it's not bad value

Don't see much point feeding excess protein if not needed. Energy levels are my main concern. Looking g to have bcs right for breeding the litres usually follow

Have many got cows out?

I haven't even cows calved not to mind out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

dar31 wrote: »
    Don't see much point feeding excess protein if not needed. Energy levels are my main concern. Looking g to have bcs right for breeding the litres usually follow

12% nut might be okay the past few days with weather good and cows out, if this storm front hits it wont be unless you have rocket fuel silage to buffer cows with

jaymla627 wrote: »
    12% nut might be okay the past few days with weather good and cows out, if this storm front hits it wont be unless you have rocket fuel silage to buffer cows with

Worst come to the worst I'll get a small bit of soya and top up for a few days.

Once you know what they are eating you can work it out for yourself. Have an 18 left in the bin I want to finish out and they are getting grass by day and maize / grass silage by night put in with the grab. What are lads paying for ration. 285 for standard 18 quoted knock off 10 for 16%. The stuff with the extra bits then was 305 for 18 295 for 16. Nuts not coarse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

stanflt wrote:
    Total waste of money- would have been better to go with slurry first then fert mid February

All the top grass men around me have urea out. I wouldn't class these boys as fools ,I'm sure you know some of them. Is this not what we are told to do? Its what I was told at group meeting last week and got funny looks when I said I'd no fert out just slurry on half milking platform.

What do you folk do when a calf won't drink?

I tubed him at 6 this morning, 3.5l through the stomach tube. I was trying to feed him this evening and he has no appetite so I tubed him with 2l.

Had another one born just before him and drank no bother this evening?

I tubed him at 6 this morning, 3.5l through the stomach tube. I was trying to feed him this evening and he has no appetite so I tubed him with 2l.

Leave him hungry until tomorrow. Or stomach tube with a life aid to put a thirst on it

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    All the top grass men around me have urea out. I wouldn't class these boys as fools ,I'm sure you know some of them. Is this not what we are told to do? Its what I was told at group meeting last week and got funny looks when I said I'd no fert out just slurry on half milking platform.

I've no fertiliser out yet. Wouldn't be unusual for here. Have slurry out though . Some of those lads have exceptionally dry land

Generally give 3 feeds via tube to calves that don't drink and then skip a feed and they generally would drink themselves next time round. I try and teat feed every new born calf instead of tubing if I can as find it's easier to feed them subsequently but it can be time consuming depending on how many land in a day.

I've no fertiliser out yet. Wouldn't be unusual for here. Have slurry out though . Some of those lads have exceptionally dry land

None out here either, spread slurry on dry ground and wet ground is too wet, have a few paddocks with heavier covers on dry ground I may throw out a half bag on weather dependant

Leave him hungry until tomorrow. Or stomach tube with a life aid to put a thirst on it
    Generally give 3 feeds via tube to calves that don't drink and then skip a feed and they generally would drink themselves next time round. I try and teat feed every new born calf instead of tubing if I can as find it's easier to feed them subsequently but it can be time consuming depending on how many land in a day.

Thanks, I don't like leaving a calf hungry for the night.

During the day, I would give a try around lunchtime again but I would like some milk inside them during the night. I was wondering how long people would leave them if they wouldn't drink because there's always one PITA who takes up most of the feeding time:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

During the day, I would give a try around lunchtime again but I would like some milk inside them during the night. I was wondering how long people would leave them if they wouldn't drink because there's always one PITA who takes up most of the feeding time:rolleyes:
    Sometimes the sound of another calf sucking can stimulate them.

Ah yeah, if feed number 4 is falling in the evening tube again and instead skip the morning one as it's a shorter time period

Base price wrote: »
    Sometimes the sound of another calf sucking can stimulate them.

Sometimes not :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Once they get rhe first feed of biestings i never worry adter that.they always drink eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

K.G. wrote: »
    Once they get rhe first feed of biestings i never worry adter that.they always drink eventually

Lol, as the older folk used to say, ‘hunger is a sweet sauce’!

When weather is mild and wet I’d be fussy about getting milk into them because of crypto, however when weather is good and not roasting, I’d go with the older folk...

• Advertisement

Quick question, what kind of compo do ye get for dairy cows that have to be culled due to TB?
    High level genetics get the same as ordinary commercial cows?

Quick question, what kind of compo do ye get for dairy cows that have to be culled due to TB?

There's a scale, pedigree, ebi, yield, still in litres i think, taken into account along with the opinion of the valuer. Older cow's obviously drop in value, mid year they don't seem to add extra for whether or not they are in calf or not. Its generally market value, you can appeal but the department can also appeal the valuer. They pay out the agreed value then minus the factory value. Nothing given for loss in milk sales

It's based on recorded yields from the last lactation and sales of similar cows in the previous few months averaged out.

Non recorded is based on average herd yields and sales of similar cows. There's a small top up for pedigree registered as well but I wouldn't be too sure of that side of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

A square of of chocolate in its mouth or some honey.
    The chocolate sticks to the roof if the mouth and encourages them to suck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

My vet is against tubing after first turn , I think it can damage the lining from doing it too much is my understanding !

I never go a second time with tube , one good feed ASAP after that I don’t fret when they drink as I’d say the biestings can make them sick fr day at times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

A square of of chocolate in its mouth or some honey.
    The chocolate sticks to the roof if the mouth and encourages them to suck

A square of chocolate in my own mouth he might have better chance of the calf getting my time to suck - lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭older by the day

My vet is against tubing after first turn , I think it can damage the lining from doing it too much is my understanding !

I never go a second time with tube , one good feed ASAP after that I don’t fret when they drink as I’d say the biestings can make them sick fr day at times

A few calves here got rotavirus last April. I managed to cure them by tubing 4 times a day for 4 or 5 days. They seem to all be grand. No after effects. I was Clint Clint Eastwood in a western with my gun (tube)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

short term pain for longer term gain ,
    most will take their second feed from the feeder as a bunch then so that saves massive time.load it up, put em on, walk away and check later. most busting.

There's a scale, pedigree, ebi, yield, still in litres i think, taken into account along with the opinion of the valuer. Older cow's obviously drop in value, mid year they don't seem to add extra for whether or not they are in calf or not. Its generally market value, you can appeal but the department can also appeal the valuer. They pay out the agreed value then minus the factory value. Nothing given for loss in milk sales

Who funds the purse?
    Is it a farmer funded scheme or do the Gov fund it?

I’d a few cows bought from a farmer a few hours south of me, and they failed on the TB test. Dept. officials promptly arrived on his farm shortly afterwards and tested the herd. 28 cows were culled and there’s no compo whatsoever.
    I went shopping for herd insurance and the best quote I could get was €164 + vat per head. This covers not only TB, it covers all health risks, but at that money I’d self insure.
    TB is back strongly in places that were thought to be free...and it wouldn’t be long before it gets very costly indeed.

There’s an EGM if the Coop members next week on the matter and I’d like to be able to present the Irish system. So any/all information would be appreciated.

* There’s a farmer funded scheme that returns a pittance. For the 28 cows culled he’ll get €660 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Who funds the purse?

I’d a few cows bought from a farmer a few hours south of me, and they failed on the TB test. Dept. officials promptly arrived on his farm shortly afterwards and tested the herd. 28 cows were culled and there’s no compo whatsoever.
    I went shopping for herd insurance and the best quote I could get was €164 + vat per head. This covers not only TB, it covers all health risks, but at that money I’d self insure.
    TB is back strongly in places that were thought to be free...and it wouldn’t be long before it gets very costly indeed.

There’s an EGM if the Coop members next week on the matter and I’d like to be able to present the Irish system. So any/all information would be appreciated.

* There’s a farmer funded scheme that returns a pittance. For the 28 cows culled he’ll get €660 in total.

Vet coming today to read my cows. They all look OK. TB is breaking out locally where there was no problem previously.

Who funds the purse?

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/bovinetb/

Department funded but there are various levies also collected. Farmer pays for annual test. If you go down department pays for tests aside from one a year. With the milk price ye get and it being a risk to the coop 're supply also x cent per litre from the farmer matched by something on the coop may be a suggestion maybe. Depends on the risk

• Advertisement

Who funds the purse?

The link below is the overview of the scheme and there's a link to the compensation valuation process towards the end of it.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/bovinetb/diseaseeradicationtb/tberadicationschemes/

On compensation, TB is a considered a public health issue here so there's an onus on the public to fund at least part of the scheme. Although in the recent past, farmer levies charged for the scheme are far in excess of the compensation paid to farmers for the loss of the animals.

And you'll notice the name of the scheme is now the TB eradication scheme with a target to eliminate it by 2030. The Dept of Ag, always good for a laugh:D

Got a Fr bull last night off a sexed straw. That's my first one ever, I had to double check this morning to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The link below is the overview of the scheme and there's a link to the compensation valuation process towards the end of it.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/bovinetb/diseaseeradicationtb/tberadicationschemes/

On compensation, TB is a considered a public health issue here so there's an onus on the public to fund at least part of the scheme. Although in the recent past, farmer levies charged for the scheme are far in excess of the compensation paid to farmers for the loss of the animals.

And you'll notice the name of the scheme is now the TB eradication scheme with a target to eliminate it by 2030. The Dept of Ag, always good for a laugh:D
    In 2017 the TB eradication scheme cost €84 million. The Exchequer contributed €42m, EU co-funding €10m and farmers through levies/testing fees €32m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    Got a Fr bull last night off a sexed straw. That's my first one ever, I had to double check this morning to be sure.

It was only presenting as male.....

Base price wrote: »
    In 2017 the TB eradication scheme cost €84 million. The Exchequer contributed €42m, EU co-funding €10m and farmers through levies/testing fees €32m.

The EU funding has been cut due to an increase in reactors as well so their share goes down. And farmers received much less than their inputs into the scheme in reactor compensation, I should have taken a screenshot of the figures given to us a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

The EU funding has been cut due to an increase in reactors as well so their share goes down. And farmers received much less than their inputs into the scheme in reactor compensation, I should have taken a screenshot of the figures given to us a few months ago.

never mind the tb stuff buford, did the calf suck yet.

cosatron wrote: »
    never mind the tb stuff buford, did the calf suck yet.

Never drank this morning, no interest after the dinner so will try again before milking.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Never drank this morning, no interest after the dinner so will try again before milking.:(

I suppose you know that there's an injection you can get for them that will initiate sucking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

wrangler wrote: »
    I suppose you know that there's an injection you can get for them that will initiate sucking

We had a calf 2 weeks ago that was the same way would not suck the cow, bottle anything, so we got him tubed on the first night, no go on the second night, gave him the injection on the third day and he sucked 1 liter that night and we thought we were good to go, sucked a bit in the morning and then back to square one on the forth night, kept at him for a week and he died. We came to the conclusion that he wasn’t right inside possible no bowl as he was never baling for milk or showed signs of a appetite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Has anyone ever tried this, it's used with foals a bit

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/madigan-squeeze-technique

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement