Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

mengele wrote: »
    I'd love to know what profit these a fellows with 3, 4 or 500 cows are taking out of the farm each year.

There taking out no profit, just a salary same as any business.

How much profit is made per cow is the question?

I've herd some aspire to have 1,000 cows.

I'm not sure what'll happen though when they finally do get their chompers on that car tyre.?

The beauty of human kind is we are all different and all have different goals in life. The key is to enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The beauty of human kind is we are all different and all have different goals in life. The key is to enjoy it

And to leave humanity and the world in a better place than whence we found it..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

And to leave humanity and the world in a better place than whence we found it..

Woo woo.. I never agreed to that...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well,........ have you reached your first thousand cows.
    .Btw, well done on saturday morning,didn't expect anything different.
    Nearly made me proud to be a farmer ........ and y'know the job that'd be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

There taking out no profit, just a salary same as any business.

How much profit is made per cow is the question?

Profit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A man in my part of the country in the 1960s was known as, 28 cows and a bull, as that was his regular boast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Water John wrote: »
    A man in my part of the country in the 1960s was known as, 28 cows and a bull, as that was his regular boast.

I think it used to be how many milk cans you left out at the stand was the willy waving way back them

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think it used to be how many milk cans you left out at the stand was the willy waving way back them

Father tells me there was always one bollix with a load of them all half full. Creamery worker fooked him out of it one morning for his notions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    Father tells me there was always one bollix with a load of them all half full. Creamery worker fooked him out of it one morning for his notions.

My father had loads of stories about the creameries back in the day. One lad was talking to the manager while the manager was sucking up the milk with the hose when the hose stopped sucking the milk. The manager lifted out the hose and there was a dead cat stopping the milk going into the hose. Still talking away to the farmer, the manager pulled off the cat and threw it into a corner and put the hose back in again and worked away.

Just as the lad was getting off the platform, the manager told him to put the fcuking cover on the tanks at night before he runs out of cats:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Sure whatever lads are happy at, more luck to the lads with bigger numbers. It's probably easier when you have scale enough to employ staff. It's getting to that can be hard work.
    The other extreme is a lad on social media that's milking about 40 and he goes on oad for Jan and Feb to make life easier. Fcuk me he's hilarious and dead serious.

mf240 wrote: »
    Sure whatever lads are happy at, more luck to the lads with bigger numbers. It's probably easier when you have scale enough to employ staff. It's getting to that can be hard work.
    The other extreme is a lad on social media that's milking about 40 and he goes on oad for Jan and Feb to make life easier. Fcuk me he's hilarious and dead serious.

Well most of the work is bringing them in and out, washing up, feeding, etc so not much of a difference milking 40 or 80 if u ask me.

There were posters on other social media getting worried about dairy farmers milking all year round twice a day and burning themselves out on the job and literally their health suffering.
    Maybe that guy with the 40 oad is saner than any of us?
    #stickingupforthelittlefella :D

The thing that gets me is there's some that'll never have enough. And it's others that get taken down in their crossfire.
    We're literally going down the U.S. and Russian way of largescale farming and that seed was sown on the dairy side by many having their visits of their future in New Zealand.

There's more on social media lately too who saw milking 25 cows in Iceland as regressive and large scale in Ireland as progressive..
    I'd be having my own ideas of which system is better but I'd have an idea I'm in the minority.

There were posters on other social media getting worried about dairy farmers milking all year round twice a day and burning themselves out on the job and literally their health suffering.
    #stickingupforthelittlefella :D

The thing that gets me is there's some that'll never have enough. And it's others that get taken down in their crossfire.
    We're literally going down the U.S. and Russian way of largescale farming and that seed was sown on the dairy side by many having their visits of their future in New Zealand.

There's more on social media lately too who saw milking 25 cows in Iceland as regressive and large scale in Ireland as progressive..
    I'd be having my own ideas of which system is better but I'd have an idea I'm in the minority.

Not a big farmer here either.

Not a big farmer here either.

Thank you Comrade! :D

• Advertisement

Define a big farmer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Define a big farmer?

Someone bigger than 15 stone!!

Define a big farmer?

Over 6ft or 18 stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Over 6ft or 18 stone.

Lots of them around here meeting the second criteria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

OAD would suit me well but I'm too lazy a bollox as is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Over 6ft or 18 stone.
    :D:D:D

6'3 and 13.5 stone
    So I'm big farmer AND fit
    Yay \○/

wrangler wrote: »
    Well,........ have you reached your first thousand cows.
    .Btw, well done on saturday morning,didn't expect anything different.
    Nearly made me proud to be a farmer ........ and y'know the job that'd be

Thanks boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mortelaro wrote: »

6'3 and 13.5 stone
    Yay \○/

Must be nothing to see once ya turn sideways

N/cow to rise to 90kgs from 85kgs from 2021.
    https://twitter.com/Deefoley17/status/1230093745904812033?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

6'3 and 13.5 stone
    Yay \○/

I do tell my fit over 60s friends that when they're looking out the nursing home window i'll be already ten years dead with a heart attack :D

You'd wonder why they didn't just increase it to 200 when by doing so they just confirmed figures can be changed to suit agendas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Must say btj your a great srouce of news even its not good news

6'3 and 13.5 stone
    Yay \○/

Under fed and over worked maybe.

The end of high stocking rates is getting closer every day. Just think of all the surplus slurry storage we'll all have.

The end of high stocking rates is getting closer every day. Just think of all the surplus slurry storage we'll all have.

I don't think so. I'd say the quantity of storage needed will be increased fairly soon, something along the lines of 1 week earlier stopping spreading and 1 week later starting and more storage needed per livestock unit.

Until the N&P results from rivers stabilise and start reducing, we're prime targets for blame and solutions to the issue.

Now, if the councils upgraded their facilities that are overloaded atm and allow no new buildings until adequate treatment facilities are provided, just like we have to do, the problem wouldn't be long in reducing, I think. At least, around us anyway.

• Advertisement

You'd wonder why they didn't just increase it to 200 when by doing so they just confirmed figures can be changed to suit agendas?

They're clamping down on derogations while seeming to support them.

And, like you say there, it probably won't stay at 90kgs for too long once the precedent is established.

K.G. wrote: »
    Must say btj your a great srouce of news even its not good news

We'd get a fair bit of info early at county exec meetings about what way the discussions are going and what's coming down the tracks as regards new directions officials are looking to head down. And Twitter has a few very good accounts to follow as well.

Next up, getting prescriptions for dosing and vaccinations will be needed from next year so that will clamp down on online purchases.

And provide more boxes for someone to tick to justify their existence:(

I wouldn't hold my breath for good news in the short term, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

And, like you say there, it probably won't stay at 90kgs for too long once the precedent is established.

The output of N per cow is supposed to correlate to milk output so is that the reason for the 5kg increase to shown the new average yield.? Thats why the higher yielding countries have higher n per cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

We'd get a fair bit of info early at county exec meetings about what way the discussions are going and what's coming down the tracks as regards new directions officials are looking to head down. And Twitter has a few very good accounts to follow as well.

Next up, getting prescriptions for dosing and vaccinations will be needed from next year so that will clamp down on online purchases.

And provide more boxes for someone to tick to justify their existence:(

I wouldn't hold my breath for good news in the short term, I'm afraid.

Crap milk price
    Crap beef price
    Crap calf price
    Crap grain price
    Cuts to BPS but no cuts to BS rules
    Cuts to stocking rates
    increased slurry storage requirements
    reduced slurry spreading dates

Is there even a glimmer of hope on the horizon for anybody in farming

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Panch18 wrote: »
    Crap milk price
    Crap beef price
    Crap calf price
    Crap grain price
    Cuts to stocking rates

At least the weather is good....!

Snowfire wrote: »
    At least the weather is good....!

Is it?

Crap milk price
    Crap beef price
    Crap calf price
    Crap grain price
    Cuts to stocking rates

Doesn't look like it. Any of ye see prime time last night. Farming is getting shut down.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Is it?

In Australia

Doesn't look like it. Any of ye see prime time last night. Farming is getting shut down.

Was it the programme about the calves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Reggie. wrote: »
    Was it the programme about the calves?

I didn’t see it all but saw the part of growing beef in a lab I don’t think it was about calves

I didn’t see it all but saw the part of growing beef in a lab I don’t think it was about calves

Not the infamous calves one. It was about lab grown meat and there was a report at the end spelling out that farms will be completely different places in 10 years time. Theres something every week now at least. We are under attack from all angles and they will get their way. Nobody seems to be attacking the tourism industry in the same way.

And now even more farmers not currently in derogation will be put into derogation by then.
    What's this now they want if you're in derogation? Your fertilizer purchases, your grass growth rates, clover to be sown all across the farm, meal dockets, your wife's pps number, a relegated advisor to advise on fertilizer and meal purchases, a grass course to show how grass is grown, a reduction in protein content of meal allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Not the infamous calves one. It was about lab grown meat and there was a report at the end spelling out that farms will be completely different places in 10 years time. Theres something every week now at least. We are under attack from all angles and they will get their way. Nobody seems to be attacking the tourism industry in the same way.

It wasn’t very motivating that’s for sure. Almost everything that comes from a lab has side effects of some sort, Will this form of so called meat be a as safe as a real steak only time will tell

Crap milk price
    Crap beef price
    Crap calf price
    Crap grain price
    Cuts to stocking rates

There is, tbh. We're here because we're the resilient ones, lucky to an extent but resilient most of all. We and those before us have gone through hard times, poor weather, poor prices, silly regulations and still survived and prospered.

But most of all, we will have to grow the same amount of food in the next 40 years as mankind has consumed in the last 2,000 years. Now, the publicity is all against us but the majority of people out there complaining couldn't grow enough food to feed themselves for a day never mind a year.

One thing I do know is lab meats depend on manufactured inputs to feed their vats of cells and it's inevitable that there's going to be corners cut in the manufacturing of that and poorer inputs used to maximise profits. And I've seen nothing about how they deal with the waste products from the manufacture of lab meats.

Be patient, the wheel always turns, as my father used to say.

My own thoughts.

Irish farming is being treated as a cash cow for industry. A carbon sequestering machine but not being rewarded to farmers but the government will get the financial benefits. A lab test tube to test out new products that'll "save the world" and be patented to specific companies.
    Basically more stringent rules and regulations come in every year and no matter that targets were hit in previous years it'll always never be enough.

The way to beat the system is to remove yourself from the system. Go as low input as possible while still achieving an income. Read the books. There's technological advances that have been brought in for farmers in third and second world countries. Copy them. Read all the natural farming books or online you can. It'll open your eyes to the biological world.
    There's experts in this country but only expert in making you buy a new machine or fertilizer or even meal product.
    I've tried a few things down through the years and it does reduce your fertilizer amount. It all counts. I'm no expert myself far from it. But a lot of change is in your own hands. Don't be afraid to go against the grain. It won't be in mainstream agricultures interest in this country for you to do so. And there may be kickback.
    But sure isn't life interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭farisfat

Would anyone know what freshly calved high ebi xbreed cows are making.

And now even more farmers not currently in derogation will be put into derogation by then.
    What's this now they want if you're in derogation? Your fertilizer purchases, your grass growth rates, clover to be sown all across the farm, meal dockets, your wife's pps number, a relegated advisor to advise on fertilizer and meal purchases, a grass course to show how grass is grown, a reduction in protein content of meal allowed.

Cattle cant cross or drink from rivers, hedges cant all be cut at once, drinkers cant be any closer than 20m from any water course

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

My father had loads of stories about the creameries back in the day. One lad was talking to the manager while the manager was sucking up the milk with the hose when the hose stopped sucking the milk. The manager lifted out the hose and there was a dead cat stopping the milk going into the hose. Still talking away to the farmer, the manager pulled off the cat and threw it into a corner and put the hose back in again and worked away.

Just as the lad was getting off the platform, the manager told him to put the fcuking cover on the tanks at night before he runs out of cats:D

The auld fella does often tell me about an incident that occurred year's back when the milk was delivered to the local creamery in milk cans. A neighbor had the job of collecting the milk cans locally with a horse and cart each day. One day the man in question was feeling unwell and his brother was given the task in his absence.

According to Dad the brother was a little bit "harmless" and was excited at the prospect of being in the driving seat for the day. This excitement caused him to leave a few cans behind him and this fact only came to light in the evening when another local who was a bit of a jennet called to complain about his milk cans being forgotten. Seemingly the same man had bad land even by local standards and kept 3 or 4 starved cows that produced little milk. Despite the fact that he was somewhat lacking our temporary milkman was witty and upon being informed that the forgotten milk had to be delivered in person by it's producer he promptly told him "that for all the milk you ever had you could have sent it down in a fu#king envelope".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

He was ahead of his time with health and safety, the worker should have been thanking him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Another local story again involved a cat.
    In this particular case, a lot of farmers used to draw home clean water from the creamery well. To their consternation, on inspection one day a well dead cat was removed from the well. As you can imagine demand for said water dropped dramatically, leaving the perplexed maintenance man to observe, "They couldn't get enough water all summer when the cat was in the well, but now that I've him out, they've no meas on it!"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement