Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    What’s the story about bvd samples? I sent off a load of them today only to hear on the news that they are using the centre for COVID-19 testing only.

They'll surely just pass them on to another lab to be done. The workload must be decreasing at this stage anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What’s the story about bvd samples? I sent off a load of them today only to hear on the news that they are using the centre for COVID-19 testing only.

We posted a bunch last Wednesday and they only got them on Monday. No results yet. That's alot slower than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ordered my straws last week. Ai man said hold off but i took a chance. Two main bulls i ordered didn't move much so i was lucky.

Some sickener when a bull falls a good drop.

Same here. Took a chance on it and ordered some fr4513 and fr4728 at the start of March. Got caught out last year by offering too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Same here. Took a chance on it and ordered some fr4513 and fr4728 at the start of March. Got caught out last year by offering too late.

Ha that's what i ordered, 4728 is pricey. Got some Anton, also got Sebastian & samir from Dovea for the milky cows and heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone using sexed this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone using sexed this year?

Was considering trying some on synced heifers. Anyone any experience of same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

If they can let the guards out without training and give the leaving certs 100% in their orals, they could nearly leave the sampling go. At least for those with negative herd status. Never had a positive here.

straight wrote: »
    If they can let the guards out without training and give the leaving certs 100% in their orals, they could nearly leave the sampling go. At least for those with negative herd status. Never had a positive here.

You'd be imagining with bvd testing being their bread and butter when there isn't a pandemic that they would have measures in place to do the bvd testing in a timely manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This might interest some of you who still have calves available for export.
    ICMSA is creating a list of farmers with stock to sell & will share list with live shippers to assist cattle sales.If you wish to be listed, ph 087 3109979.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ha that's what i ordered, 4728 is pricey. Got some Anton, also got Sebastian & samir from Dovea for the milky cows and heifers.

Lovely selection of bulls there. Going with the two aforementioned bulls plus method &moose (NCBC) chairman, phraser and b52 in eurogene and some sexed yamaska Perseus and Batman.

• Advertisement

We may be asked to reduce our milk supply at peak if there are problems processing it with staff absence due to Coronavirus.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/coronavirus-likely-to-cause-material-disruption-to-milk-processing-co-ops-536350

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

I’m quiet happy to tolerate a delay in Bvd results in order to facilitate labs doing testing for Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

We may be asked to reduce our milk supply at peak if there are problems processing it with staff absence due to Coronavirus.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/coronavirus-likely-to-cause-material-disruption-to-milk-processing-co-ops-536350

Paywall for me but when is peak again? Possibility weeks away. I think if it lasts that long demand will be a much bigger problem.

Paywall for me but when is peak again? Possibility weeks away. I think if it lasts that long demand will be a much bigger problem.

It shouldn't be, afaik? It wasn't from a subscriber tweet, anyway.
    Co-ops are forecasting peak milk supply in 2020 could be as high as an unprecedented 250m litres per week, meaning there would be as little as 1% to 2% spare processing capacity during these weeks.

Co-ops are finalising emergency plans for their processing sites based on an absentee rate as high as 50%.

In a worst-case scenario, dairy farmers may be asked by co-ops to restrain milk supply at peak, which could take the form of once-a-day milking, reducing feed supplementation or feeding milk to calves.

That's the bones of it, anyway.

A lot will depend on how much we're expected to reduce by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Disruption to major ports, eg Black Sea, could/would cause supply chain stress to countries dependent on food imports. Hopefully that can be avoided. Now is a bad time for food crises, no matter how localized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’m quiet happy to tolerate a delay in Bvd results in order to facilitate labs doing testing for Covid

Most kind.

As someone else mentioned it’s nonsensical today we are all fretting about exporting calves, importing milk powder and now holding back production. There are herds suffering after all the pushing of SDCT and now there’ll be similar results from blanket OAD milking at peak yields.
    Increase pay to €30/hr in the milk factories and you’ll have plenty people happy to work. It might mean a drop in milk price but it’ll be better than the alternative of writing off cows andForeseeable scarcities of mastitis tubes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Heard a rumour today that if a worker in the processing plant tested positive, that creamery will be closed down, hardly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Heard a rumour today that if a worker in the processing plant tested positive, that creamery will be closed down, hardly?

That was my understanding of it with the meat factory any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Have you heard this being suggested for any shop? The most that might be affected and need to isolate would be, that shift. Deep clean and open again, IWT.

Not so.
    The concern is that if someone needs to self isolate the work colleagues will also have to isolate. The concern is from a man power POV rather than a contamination one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

were they kind f suggesting that in the 6 o clock news tonight too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Anyone hearing that Co-ops are at near full capacity and can't move on the milk,that they might not be able to take in milk in the near future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It's only being put out there as a worst case scenario if one of the plants had to close the rest wouldn't have the capacity to deal with all of it. This spring has herds yield back per cow anyway in a lot of cases

Anyone hearing that Co-ops are at near full capacity and can't move on the milk,that they might not be able to take in milk in the near future?

We have fully financed our coops and they know to the litre what’s coming so barring an outbreak among staff there’s no reason to even consider this option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Anything is possible in these changing times. But no point meeting trouble half way.

We have fully financed our coops and they know to the litre what’s coming so barring an outbreak among staff there’s no reason to even consider this option

One Co-op sent out a text message today suggesting that farmers might have to reduce production in the near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

One Co-op sent out a text message today suggesting that farmers might have to reduce production in the near future

Who?

Any chance you could copy the text on here?

alps wrote: »
    Who?

Any chance you could copy the text on here?

Was only told about it,didn't see the text myself so I would rather not name the co-op until I see the exact details but I can pm if you want

• Advertisement

Calves will be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

mf240 wrote: »

the lad carrying the bucket wont!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Not so.
    The concern is that if someone needs to self isolate the work colleagues will also have to isolate. The concern is from a man power POV rather than a contamination one

Dairygold have had at least one person test positive in the Mitchelstown factory

And the cats

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Sorry to be critical but not sure how wise it was for your one to be on about lost income due to spilling milk last news last night.alot of people are taking an income hit at the moment .more important message that every one buys in on how important that we protect people in the business and in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

K.G. wrote: »
    Sorry to be critical but not sure how wise it was for your one to be on about lost income due to spilling milk last news last night.alot of people are taking an income hit at the moment .more important message that every one buys in on how important that we protect people in the business and in general

+ 1

Like the teacher I highlighted at the beginning that refused to use their own computer to help students,
    You couldn't make it up. some are taking huge hit on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

And the cats

Did you get last weeks bvd results yet? Nothing here yet posted them last Wednesday.

Isn't it gas hearing everyone complaining about the boredom. I'm up at 6 every morning and working until 8 every evening. Might get a few hours to sit down on sundays. Farmers must be one of the least affected people so far. I never get a chance to go anywhere much anyway.

Did you get last weeks bvd results yet? Nothing here yet posted them last Wednesday.

I got mine after about a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Posted last Tuesday here. Nothing yet.

• Advertisement

Isn't it gas hearing everyone complaining about the boredom. I'm up at 6 every morning and working until 8 every evening. Might get a few hours to sit down on sundays. Farmers must be one of the least affected people so far. I never get a chance to go anywhere much anyway.

Think we're lucky. Imagine being stuck in a small house with nothing to do.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Posted last Tuesday here. Nothing yet.

I emailed them on Friday. I posted the samples on Monday. Got the results Saturday morning

Was saying the same yesterday.

Think we're lucky. Imagine being stuck in a small house with nothing to do.

Ya, I lived in the city for years so I know the score. Worse still is an apartment with children. And they looking out at other children playing in the green.

Was reading on another forum that someones neighbour had a barbecue party yesterday. I dont know who was worse ths people throwing the party or those who went. I would have rang the guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Was reading on another forum that someones neighbour had a barbecue party yesterday. I dont know who was worse ths people throwing the party or those who went. I would have rang the guards

Tubridys' replacement this morning called them Covidiots .
    Also a Covid positive discharged from hospital, no family member would collect him so he got a taxi or bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I did break neck driving last Monday evening to get to the Post Office by 5.30 pm with BVD samples. There was a Notice Posted on Post Office door, closed every day 3pm. Stuck 2 x Euro stamps on the envelope and posted them in the post box. Checked Enfer account on Fri - no rasults, just showing balance on account. Checked there again just now - no results but balance on account reduced.

I did break neck driving last Monday evening to get to the Post Office by 5.30 pm with BVD samples. There was a Notice Posted on Post Office door, closed every day 3pm. Stuck 2 x Euro stamps on the envelope and posted them in the post box. Checked Enfer account on Fri - no rasults, just showing balance on account. Checked there again just now - no results but balance on account reduced.

If you go to do a movement permit you will know if the results are in

It's going to be slower with Enfer anyway with a lot of their business now moved to testing for Coronavirus.

I don't know if any other labs have been tasked with Coronavirus testing, haven't heard anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

With no sport on, I haven't even plugged in the television in days now. God help any weed that's thinking of popping its head up along the wires this spring. Thankful to be busy so copping fine but this talk of dumping milk/going OAD is worrying. No marts and restrictions in agristores etc is livable. Disaster if milk collection is affected. Worst case scenario I know so I hope everyone involved along the way is given the best chance by having good plans in place and giving the best equipment etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement