Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

If dairy farmers cut the ration ,the co ops would change there tune pretty fast!!!!
    How come Teagasc or ifa do not come out and advise farmers to cut the meal seeing the spring is coming right might also put a base under the price if production is cut by farmers in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

cute geoge wrote: »
    If dairy farmers cut the ration ,the co ops would change there tune pretty fast!!!!
    How come Teagasc or ifa do not come out and advise farmers to cut the meal seeing the spring is coming right might also put a base under the price if production is cut by farmers in time

Twill make no odds on milk price, it's the world market determines our price. If we were to cut production it would be selective culling would be the way forward. Peak coincides with breeding so if you're not totally on top.of your game or have cow's that need the supplementing cutting ration too much will also mean more empty cows. Some may disagree or maybe I'm just not food enough at the grass. Rising plane of nutrition and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Will freshly calves cows be available worth the money. See a few on done deal and I think lads must of mixed up the price and their phone number.!!

straight wrote: »
    Ya, I lived in the city for years so I know the score. Worse still is an apartment with children. And they looking out at other children playing in the green.

As a neighbour says "a small house and a wife full of children"

• Advertisement

Glanbia could do with a full cookie jar but it's already got a good shaking with the "siobhan a virus"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »
    Twill make no odds on milk price, it's the world market determines our price. If we were to cut production it would be selective culling would be the way forward. Peak coincides with breeding so if you're not totally on top.of your game or have cow's that need the supplementing cutting ration too much will also mean more empty cows. Some may disagree or maybe I'm just not food enough at the grass. Rising plane of nutrition and all that

I’ve done my bit today culled out 5% cows (scc,old cow ,cow with black spot )bills and loans to pay cows heading for peak sorry but won’t be considering oad ,meal feeding levels will be reduced last resort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I’ve done my bit today culled out 5% cows (scc,old cow ,cow with black spot )bills and loans to pay cows heading for peak sorry but won’t be considering oad ,meal feeding levels will be reduced last resort

I've 5% to go myself. Did you just send them to the factory or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mf240 wrote: »
    Glanbia could do with a full cookie jar but it's already got a good shaking with the "siobhan a virus"

Hearing some stories, going to be a rocky few months .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Surely the question has to be asked as to why the Coops, and Glanbia in particular, don't have a back up plan should a shift of workers be hit with the virus? I can understand if a plant needed to be closed for a day for a deep clean should an employee be infected, however this idea that the plant could be closed for a pro-longed period of time is a joke to be honest. They've literally had weeks to prepare for this.

God know everybody in the coops are being paid more than well enough to come up with solutions for this

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »

Rang local dealer ,in yard an hour later deal done and cows gone.movemrnt permit done on line at 1 o click confirmed in his herd few minutes later and on line payement complete .

Panch18 wrote: »
    Surely the question has to be asked as to why the Coops, and Glanbia in particular, don't have a back up plan should a shift of workers be hit with the virus? I can understand if a plant needed to be closed for a day for a deep clean should an employee be infected, however this idea that the plant could be closed for a pro-longed period of time is a joke to be honest. They've literally had weeks to prepare for this.

God know everybody in the coops are being paid more than well enough to come up with solutions for this

Coops have plans in place but u can’t really factor in a large chunk of processing plant been suddenly shut down this time of year .we all just need to hope it dosnt come to that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

"Irish dairy co-operatives produce a significant number of products for the food service industry, which was shut down almost entirely across much of the EU and USA, over the course of a week, with no end date in sight for the restrictions," Ms Graham said.

"There is also a significant concern that there will be an economic downturn in our key markets, the USA and China - but also in Africa and the Middle East," she added.

this is taken from buford post and was released to the press the same day the processors are encouraging farmers to reduce production, something smells fishy. As Panch18 says they will be able to overcome staff getting infected.

cosatron wrote: »
    "Irish dairy co-operatives produce a significant number of products for the food service industry, which was shut down almost entirely across much of the EU and USA, over the course of a week, with no end date in sight for the restrictions," Ms Graham said.

"There is also a significant concern that there will be an economic downturn in our key markets, the USA and China - but also in Africa and the Middle East," she added.

this is taken from buford post and was released to the press the same day the processors are encouraging farmers to reduce production, something smells fishy. As Panch18 says they will be able to overcome staff getting infected.

Yes its absolute bull to think that the plant would be closed entirely because 1 or some of the employees get infected. If this is actually the case then 1 or more people needed to be fired and fired quickly

More likely that the coops markets are closed down and they have nowhere to send it, so they are going to make the farmer shoulder the losses on it

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Coops have plans in place but u can’t really factor in a large chunk of processing plant been suddenly shut down this time of year .we all just need to hope it dosnt come to that

I'm more than suspicious i'll tell you J, certainly in the big coops

If a major coop can't cope with a shift or 2 of workers getting sick then someone needs to be fired.

There's a bigger thing at play here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's thousands of laid off workers atm looking for employment in the country.

This talk by the coops is just them using the situation to their advantage.
    Independent lorry companies delivering the milk haven't even warned of any disruption. They have their own plan b's in place weeks ago.

Co-op talk has nothing to do with covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

There's thousands of laid off workers atm looking for employment in the country.

This talk by the coops is just them using the situation to their advantage.
    Independent lorry companies delivering the milk haven't even warned of any disruption. They have their own plan b's in place weeks ago.

Co-op talk has nothing to do with covid.

Back up driver being trained in on our run today.

dar31 wrote: »
    Back up driver being trained in on our run today.

our driver has got 2 lads trained up in the last couple of weeks

So the lorry drivers who are often 1 man bands can get their act together fairly quickly (fair dues to them) with regards cover but yet a multi billion euro coop can't get the plant covered??

Yes its absolute bull to think that the plant would be closed entirely because 1 or some of the employees get infected. If this is actually the case then 1 or more people needed to be fired and fired quickly

More likely that the coops markets are closed down and they have nowhere to send it, so they are going to make the farmer shoulder the losses on it

There's a few lads on every shift that wouldn't be considered vital but the shift manager and whoever is his deputy would be close to being essential. Especially during the handover of shifts when they would meet the heads of the new shift to fill them in on issues like glitches in a drier or storage. One of them showing symptoms wouldn't be good news, that's 2 shifts managers gone straight away.

The factories would be able to move staff from shift to shift to cover for absences but the lab, for example, would be essential. I haven't been inside one for many years but I'm hoping they have reduced the likelihood of cross contamination in there.

There's a few lads on every shift that wouldn't be considered vital but the shift manager and whoever is his deputy would be close to being essential. Especially during the handover of shifts when they would meet the heads of the new shift to fill them in on issues like glitches in a drier or storage. One of them showing symptoms wouldn't be good news, that's 2 shifts managers gone straight away.

The factories would be able to move staff from shift to shift to cover for absences but the lab, for example, would be essential. I haven't been inside one for many years but I'm hoping they have reduced the likelihood of cross contamination in there.

Appreciate what your're saying there Buford, and certainly in the smaller coops it may be trickier with regards to staff

However if Glanbia, kerry, Dairygold etc haven't or can't put procedures in place to either cover for potential staff illness or ensure that transmission chances are greatly reduced then there is something seriously wrong with the managment in our coops

1 things is for absolute certain - the way the government has handled this situation is they have given indications of things to come down the line to give time for people to prepare if they were smart and read between the lines (and I think the government have handled it well).
    Now if coops have adopted a similar kind of "propoganda" then this drip feeding of a potential problem means they know it is going to materialise and they are "softening our cough" for when it does happen.

If it does happen then farmers, as the shareholder and the idiots loosing out on both fronts, need to take serious action against the management of the coops because not being able to process the milk due to a lack of planning and foresight is unforgivable in my opinion

• Advertisement

I'm going to plays devils advocate.

This is a whole new set of circumstances that no manager could have possibly invisaged even three months ago. They can't ****e miracles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm going to plays devils advocate.

This is a whole new set of circumstances that no manager could have possibly invisaged even three months ago. They can't ****e miracles.

Not like you to introduce realism into the discussion.

wrangler wrote: »
    Not like you to introduce realism into the discussion.

:D I'm getting to that age now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I hear locally that Lakeland have let go workers employed in the Killeshandra butter plant as there is no market for the little butter patties that are manufactured there.
    What happens now to the milk that was used to make them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I think they are looking for the EU to create emergency storage

Our milk still being collected daily assume it's still going for uht. Dont see lorry driver at all as he's here at 3 30 am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

whelan2 wrote: »

What kinds of stories?

We've had unseen texts and rumours...

Can anyone please specify?

At least if there are some specifics, we could get to the source of them..

What's the pulling hair out emoji?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

What it all comes back to is a safe working environment for the workers.if workers can operate in an isolated way and can the event of infection can be dealt with either through work practices such separate teams with no cross over and distance separation between workers so that if one goes down you are sure that they have not infected others.i think carbery cheese line can be run with just 7 people.we all think we are high.and mighty mow that or business is left continue but if a business can fufill this criteria it will shut down and other businesses will supply the food instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Think we're lucky. Imagine being stuck in a small house with nothing to do.

Or worse... A house with small children!

• Advertisement

Appreciate what your're saying there Buford, and certainly in the smaller coops it may be trickier with regards to staff

However if Glanbia, kerry, Dairygold etc haven't or can't put procedures in place to either cover for potential staff illness or ensure that transmission chances are greatly reduced then there is something seriously wrong with the managment in our coops

1 things is for absolute certain - the way the government has handled this situation is they have given indications of things to come down the line to give time for people to prepare if they were smart and read between the lines (and I think the government have handled it well).
    Now if coops have adopted a similar kind of "propoganda" then this drip feeding of a potential problem means they know it is going to materialise and they are "softening our cough" for when it does happen.

If it does happen then farmers, as the shareholder and the idiots loosing out on both fronts, need to take serious action against the management of the coops because not being able to process the milk due to a lack of planning and foresight is unforgivable in my opinion

There's already loads of cooperation between processors all during the year as regards collection of milk by one truck but 2 or 3 different processors paying for the milk that one collects. Sites shut for winter for maintenance and one site doing a lot of processing. Milk transferred to other sites for processing when a drier breaks down.

I would expect they have covered as many bases as they can but this virus is an easily transmittable one and I would hate to have those processing my milk have to risk serious illness to do their job. If I have to cut back then I will. I'll be under pressure for repayments if it happens, like a lot of lads will be, but I don't see us having much other option but to suck it up, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It makes a lovely change to see a discussion on milk processing rather than elsewhere on boards all about cv and flattening the curve..:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Got rid of 30 calves today. Never felt so good about giving stock away cheap.

Should ease the work load on you. That’s important at this stage, you wouldn’t want to be stuck with them for another month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

One Co-op sent out a text message today suggesting that farmers might have to reduce production in the near future

Ok lads need to apologise to ye for posting this message last night,thankfully no truth in it,it was my elderly neighbour who was telling me about it,he has no phone so everything comes into his wife's phone,Was talking to his wife this evening and asked could I see the text sent out by the Co-op.She asked me what text? So I explained to her what her husband said to me. What happened was the wife was just googling about milk production and whatever conversation she had with her husband he took it that the Co-op had sent out a text message.That will teach me not to take second hand information as the truth.Sorry again for posting false information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would the co.ops not send a text out for guys to feed while milk for the next month or two, which would reduce milk production a little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Apparently in the UK street crime and burgalries have gone down but domestic abuse has gone up!!

I think the capacity is there. It's all stemming from a journal article last week which was just hypothetical.

Might be no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

straight wrote:

Old crowd here say I sell calves cheap, I say you rear them dear.
    A smart answer normally draws a few curses and then they walk off !!

I think the capacity is there. It's all stemming from a journal article last week which was just hypothetical.

Might be no issue.

Haven't bought the journal yet this year, dont think I'm missing much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

https://youtu.be/M5azNpTwVk8

• Advertisement

Ya, I lived in the city for years so I know the score. Worse still is an apartment with children. And they looking out at other children playing in the green.

Ya was saying that to the sheepdog this morning, it must be driving some people mad

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

I work in one of the coops and in fairness we are doing our best to try and avoid any potential issues. In my area we make Casein powder with 4 teams of 4. We have perspex sheeting put in between our stations. Have separate canteen and changing areas etc. The biggest problem is if one of my 4 man team goes down the rest of the 3 may have to isolate as well. Its left to the other shifts to try and cover then. I'm already working 60 hours most weeks so you can see where the problem lies. It takes nearly 2 years to train up to the job I do so you cant get someone in from another area just to cover it, it's the same with skim powder, butter etc. Fingers crossed we can all stay healthy and keep yere milk moving.

Mulumpy wrote: »
    I work in one of the coops and in fairness we are doing our best to try and avoid any potential issues. In my area we make Casein powder with 4 teams of 4. We have perspex sheeting put in between our stations. Have separate canteen and changing areas etc. The biggest problem is if one of my 4 man team goes down the rest of the 3 may have to isolate as well. Its left to the other shifts to try and cover then. I'm already working 60 hours most weeks so you can see where the problem lies. It takes nearly 2 years to train up to the job I do so you cant get someone in from another area just to cover it, it's the same with skim powder, butter etc. Fingers crossed we can all stay healthy and keep yere milk moving.

Great to get the post Mulumpy, it's marvellous clarification..

I think we all owe you guys a great debt of gratitude for your efforts at this time as I'm sure the elongated hours and the extra care required in trying to keep clear of the virus is a weight on yourself and your family...

As a supplier, I certainly hope that you guys will be well compensated in some special way at the end of all of this.

Thank you

Doing a savage job chief keep it up .worked in the now old casein plant and skim plant years ago and to know what you were at took time with mechanisation I’m betting as u say you’d need all time u mentioned in fairness all ye can stay doing as ye are following the guidelines and as producers we’ll be keeping the fingers crossed for ye

alps wrote: »
    Great to get the post Mulumpy, it's marvellous clarification..

I think we all owe you guys a great debt of gratitude for your efforts at this time as I'm sure the elongated hours and the extra care required in trying to keep clear of the virus is a weight on yourself and your family...

As a supplier, I certainly hope that you guys will be well compensated in some special way at the end of all of this.

Thank you

+100000000

And there you have it....

That's the real story behind all the conspiracy theories that have been rampant and gathering legs over the last few days, fuelled or sparked by a badly illjudged headline in the Farmers Journal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

A bigger issue would be a dryer break down that required a team of techs to be flown in to ge it up and going

A bigger issue would be a dryer break down that required a team of techs to be flown in to ge it up and going

Did you have to????

Thought we had it all calmed down...

alps wrote: »
    And there you have it....

That's the real story behind all the conspiracy theories that have been rampant and gathering legs over the last few days, fuelled or sparked by a badly illjudged headline in the Farmers Journal...

That made my blood boil tbh snd my mother was telling me of some lad off the farmers journal in tipp fms weely farming programme on sat am where basically he said lick away the cheque book and pay nobody ......

Thanks for clarifying the situation in your place Mulumpy and great to hear that some steps have been taken to reduce risks of infection and transmission in the workplace

All dairy farmers as well will have their fingers and toes crossed that ye can stay healthy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement