Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

mf240 wrote: »
    Sort of similar question. Anyone have a stainless steel milk jar. I'm doing a small upgrade and milking machine guy is putting in a stainless jar but I'm not gone on not being able to see the milk in it. You wouldn't know whether it was emptying properly or not, or maybe it doesn't matter?,

I’d personally prefer a glass jar to see what’s going on, but then that’s just what I’m used to

He’d surely put in a glass jar if you asked. Is there any advantage to stainless jar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alps wrote: »
    How did you sort it?

I duno if your asking how to stop the milk frothing or how to stop it building up so bad it goes into the vacuum line ha, here it was so bad it use to cut out the machine and tbcs rocketed because milk all over the vacuum line and reserve tank, the machine service man put in an airline which blew air in the bottom of the receiving jar, and that solved the problem almost immediately. He said the next step if it didn't work was to bring a pipe back from the exit of the plate cooler and pour cold milk in the top of the receiving jar, but we didn't need to go that far.

I also offer the cows a small bit of straw, how much it helps I don't know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dairymaster jar here, on its side so to speak stainless in the middle and perspex either end. Milk recorder had said he normally wouldn't see so much froth in a jar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Panch18 wrote: »
    I’d personally prefer a glass jar to see what’s going on, but then that’s just what I’m used to

He’d surely put in a glass jar if you asked. Is there any advantage to stainless jar?

I think Id prefer a glass one too. I'd say he'd put in one allright If I asked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

I think Id prefer a glass one too. I'd say he'd put in one allright If I asked him.

We would have preferred a glass one but we were assured the stainless was the way to go. It worked out grand. By all accounts the stainless jar is very expensive.

I've a cow here after getting some kind of growth on top of her pap. She's a slow milker anyway but now she's a PIA and I'm only milking her on 3 paps.i must reduce numbers a bit anyway so I'm wondering what's my best option to get rid of her. She's a big framed holstein with not much meat on her. Mart or factory?

straight wrote: »
    We would have preferred a glass one but we were assured the stainless was the way to go. It worked out grand. By all accounts the stainless jar is very expensive.

It's all second hand stuff I'm getting. Just putting in 6 more units at the back, pit was left long enough to go from 10 to 16. You'd imagine the glass one would be cheaper allright. I'll see what he says. Think it's on hold anyway do to lock down.

It's all second hand stuff I'm getting. Just putting in 6 more units at the back, pit was left long enough to go from 10 to 16. You'd imagine the glass one would be cheaper allright. I'll see what he says. Think it's on hold anyway do to lock down.

You’ll have a fine parlour with the 16 units

You’ll have a fine parlour with the 16 units

Hopefully. It's will be small by today's standards but will be idea for me. Probably only ever milk 5 or 6 rows in it.

• Advertisement

Hopefully. It's will be small by today's standards but will be idea for me. Probably only ever milk 5 or 6 rows in it.

Will you need ACRs with the 16 units. 12 is enough for me - No ACRs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Are you getting a variable speed milk pump as well? You'll probably need a glass reception jar to keep an eye on the milk building up if you're not.

We have the stainless steel one and had a manual restrictor to slow down the milk going through the plate cooler but we couldn't tell if it was closed too much until the sanitary trap overflowed. No problem since we changed to the VS milk pump a few years ago. I would say the two kinda go together, really.

Are you upgrading the plate cooler as well to cater for more milk flowing though in a shorter time? And the wash trough?

One improvement leads to soooo many more:D

Will you need ACRs with the 16 units. 12 is enough for me - No ACRs.

No be grand.

Are you getting a variable speed milk pump as well? You'll probably need a glass reception jar to keep an eye on the milk building up if you're not.

We have the stainless steel one and had a manual restrictor to slow down the milk going through the plate cooler but we couldn't tell if it was closed too much until the sanitary trap overflowed. No problem since we changed to the VS milk pump a few years ago. I would say the two kinda go together, really.

Are you upgrading the plate cooler as well to cater for more milk flowing though in a shorter time? And the wash trough?

One improvement leads to soooo many more:D
    No the plate cooler should cope and the wash troughs were big enough the first day. I put in a second hand ten unit ten years ago.

You'd never be done really, ordinary milk pump for the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

No the plate cooler should cope and the wash troughs were big enough the first day. I put in a second hand ten unit ten years ago.

You'd never be done really, ordinary milk pump for the moment

No finish to it at all.

You won't know yourself when it's done, milking will be so much quicker.

I've a cow here after getting some kind of growth on top of her pap. She's a slow milker anyway but now she's a PIA and I'm only milking her on 3 paps.i must reduce numbers a bit anyway so I'm wondering what's my best option to get rid of her. She's a big framed holstein with not much meat on her. Mart or factory?

Probably let her into the factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Nothing small about a 16unit, lads around me still in 8 unit and 6 unit double ups with over 100 cows. I'm going to go into the 10th row again with my 14 unit in a week or so, can't see myself bothering to put in anymore units anyday soon though, I'm lucky enough to always have someone willing to milk for me, got 3 lads doing relief milk at the min, a minor upshot of this whole corona incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

15 units here. Nearly 10 rows at the minute. Have another 20 to calve :eek: wont get to do new parlour this year. Hate making over 10 rows.

whelan2 wrote: »
    15 units here. Nearly 10 rows at the minute. Have another 20 to calve :eek: wont get to do new parlour this year. Hate making over 10 rows.

I milked 44 in a 4 unit before the ten unit went in.

I milked 44 in a 4 unit before the ten unit went in.

My record is 360 cows in an 8 unit in england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Factories are giving €2.40ish +/- 10c for o/p cows outta the parlour. The mart or donedeal if you can handle the phone calls. If she is quiet someone may buy her to rear a few calves.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    My record is 360 cows in an 8 unit in england

That must have been fair boring.

That must have been fair boring.

5 hours milking in the morning and 4.5 in the evening. College placement. I then realised anything over 10 rows is a headwrecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

4.33 butterfat, 3.27 protein. Are cows using too much body fat reserves? All heifers, doing 21 litres per day average. Getting 4-4.5 kilos of nuts in the parlour.

It’s enough, I think 7 lines is enough for anyone. We’re at 10 and you’d be getting bored of it from 8 onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It’s enough, I think 7 lines is enough for anyone. We’re at 10 and you’d be getting bored of it from 8 onwards

Guy not far from me is putting 18 rows through a 44 unit herringbone
    We're at 11 here now with 2 left to calve. Going to put a few more units on in winter of 2021/22 hopefully. Will have to endure another row or 2 more next year. Be grand

Guy not far from me is putting 18 rows through a 44 unit herringbone
    We're at 11 here now with 2 left to calve. Going to put a few more units on in winter of 2021/22 hopefully. Will have to endure another row or 2 more next year. Be grand

Are 3 Czech ladies doing a lot of the milking?

Worst is thinking you're on the ninth row and it's only the 7th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Grueller wrote: »
    Are 3 Czech ladies doing a lot of the milking?

Dont know a lot about him tbh. The 2 sons dont want to heat detect or ai, trying to contract hire someone to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭degetme

4.33 butterfat, 3.27 protein. Are cows using too much body fat reserves? All heifers, doing 21 litres per day average. Getting 4-4.5 kilos of nuts in the parlour.

Have you any grass for them?

degetme wrote: »
    Have you any grass for them?

They are grazing a reseed that was sown last Autumn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭degetme

The protein is low. Is it a heavy cover? Grass is flying now so you might want to skip heavy covers if you have them. I don't know your grass situation. What genetics are the heifers off of

What's the milk urea like?

What lactose like and what cover are they grazing.? Walk the place in the morning, the last 5 days has seen a big change in growth may be time to skip a paddock and mow it for bales depending on what you have on farm Genetics may be at play too in the protein side, bf is very good tho. Any urea result?
    Changing the weighting of milk price a bit more towards bf hit me a bit in milk price

Was at 13 and 14 for a few years, pain in the ads esp If they had to be held to cross the road. Will be at 9 or possibly in to 10 this year again. Dad was milking 50 in stalls tho before a 6 unit was put in back in the day so I may stop my complaining lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

mf240 wrote:

Lad near me milking 80 in a tie up byre. 6 stalls im fairly sure. Takes him 3 hours. Wonder is there many still about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Dont know a lot about him tbh. The 2 sons dont want to heat detect or ai, trying to contract hire someone to do it

You'd need some squad of bulls to cover it...

visatorro wrote: »
    Lad near me milking 80 in a tie up byre. 6 stalls im fairly sure. Takes him 3 hours. Wonder is there many still about?

The four unit I mentioned above was a tie up byre. Only one local that I can think of still going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

How did you sort it?

Ran milk tube back from the bulk tank to the receiving jar to bring back cold milk. Works grand. Went from having froth in the overflow jar at the end of the first round to nothing overnight. Just make sure it gets washed all the time and every other month I check the diffuser to see if it isn't clogged. Cost hardly anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Would it be that you can only go so big with glass, maybe?

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    What lactose like and what cover are they grazing.? Walk the place in the morning, the last 5 days has seen a big change in growth may be time to skip a paddock and mow it for bales depending on what you have on farm Genetics may be at play too in the protein side, bf is very good tho. Any urea result?
    Changing the weighting of milk price a bit more towards bf hit me a bit in milk price

Lactose 5.17, urea 30. My genetics would not lead to massive protein. I am a new entrant so just remember reading that if prottein to butterfat ratio is above 1 : 1.15 the cows may be using too much body fat reserves.
    SCC was 233. Solids of 76.

Lactose 5.17, urea 30. My genetics would not lead to massive protein. I am a new entrant so just remember reading that if prottein to butterfat ratio is above 1 : 1.15 the cows may be using too much body fat reserves.
    SCC was 233. Solids of 76.

Only concern in these results is the SCC, and I'd be inclined to get to the root of that immediately.

Don't get bogged down on the fat to protein ratio...it is what it is most if the time. Your protein could be higher, and the only way to get theft up, and keep it up, is unrestricted access to the highest ME grass possible.

Are you using a strip wire at the moment? It the greatest protein inhibitor known to man..

Only concern in these results is the SCC, and I'd be inclined to get to the root of that immediately.

Don't get bogged down on the fat to protein ratio...it is what it is most if the time. Your protein could be higher, and the only way to get theft up, and keep it up, is unrestricted access to the highest ME grass possible.

Are you using a strip wire at the moment? It the greatest protein inhibitor known to man..

I have the strip wire up. I don't have paddocks done yet so don't know what else to do.
    Any advice on the root of the SCC issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Sorry for the silly question but what's the issue with strip grazing?

I have the strip wire up. I don't have paddocks done yet so don't know what else to do.

Send a few samples with the milkman to get individual results. You can also get a sensitivity test done to see what would be best to use to treat thrm

Instead of making them clean out the area every 12 hours, put it up for 24 hours and then use the next grazing to go a bit tighter and clean out iykwim. Alternatively give slightly extra for each 12 hr grazing for 2 grazings and then less on the third. It means they only have to work for 1 in 3 grazings. Back fence behind after 3 grazings then. Your results are good so wouldn't get hung up on ratios as yet or yield with all heifers.
    On scc see if you can get a DIY recording done. That'll tell you the high scc cow's. Then use a paddle to find the high quarter in that cow and treat as required. As they are first calvers shoukd have a high degree of success hopefully. Check the filter for clots in the meantime or else spend a milking stripping all cow's before milking in case there is a clinical case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Agree 7/8 Rows is max too much time spent in parlour and cows standing on concrete otherwise getting relief milkers starts to get an issue too if giving 7/8 hours a day milking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Quick question for ye.
    Bought 3 calves 10 days ago for the kids to rear.
    One of them after shes fed stands there for about half hour shivering and with her lugs down.
    Shes 100% for the rest of the day, thriving away,feeding well and picking at meal and fibre?
    Is it anything to be concerned about?
    Thanks

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Sorry for the silly question but what's the issue with strip grazing?

Cows consume grass at different speeds, and all have different DM requirements. There is no way to determine exactly the requirements of the herd, so let them eat all they can. If there is a restriction, some cows will be underfed. The only way to avoid this is to give them unrestricted access.
    However, as Moooo point out, you need to get the residual down to 4cm to ensure quality in the next rotation, and the happy medium seems to be to restrict them 1 grazing in 3....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Quick question for ye.
    Bought 3 calves 10 days ago for the kids to rear.
    One of them after shes fed stands there for about half hour shivering and with her lugs down.
    Shes 100% for the rest of the day, thriving away,feeding well and picking at meal and fibre?
    Is it anything to be concerned about?
    Thanks
    CMR is too cold and is chilling the calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Base price wrote: »
    CMR is too cold and is chilling the calf.

It's always mixed between 35 and 40 degrees and she is always the first getting fed, so she is getting the warmest mix.
    This has only started the last 3 days

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement