Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Do many people not milk record. I don't bother me hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

mf240 wrote: »

Neither do we

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

To get that some of that 0.65c dairygold add, you have to record. The way things are going with trying get dero from Europe and all other crap whether we agreed with it or not it's gonna be the paperwork that matters. Similar to recording grass measuring etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Did for years until our recorder retired two years ago. Local old man who was excellent. On time every time. Would talk about anything except how the neighbours cows were milking. We were all set to go again this year but put a stop to it early March with the virus. Will defiantly go again. It's nice information on your cows even if you only ever used scc to make decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Always recorded here. Probably over 30 years. In a6 scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Bit of a pain but well worth it. Opens your eyes to your best cows and just as importantly your worst. Their ranked in order at the end of year and how much they milked and the difference can be big. They all cost the same to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

We don’t milk record either and the cows seem to be milking just fine without it.

What are lads giving for dairy nuts at the moment. Will they be coming down in line with the milk price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What are lads giving for dairy nuts at the moment. Will they be coming down in line with the milk price?

You wish

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    You wish

I wish it was going up in line with the milk price :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Price of nuts seem to of gone up which is bloody annoying. I cut back from 4kg to 3 and the milk solids and litres went up though lol, so that was a win at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Mooooo wrote: »
    Does the area in front of the pit need to remain slatted? If not could you replace the slats there with a precast slab rated for whatever it needs to be? Or can you open the pit from the other side. We load our pit from the rear, trailer tips and loader pushes in, pit is about 4 feet below that point. Neighbour has a similar pit but prob 6 feet below where lorries tip. Feed out from the other side then where it's at pit floor level

How much space do you need for that to work safely Mooo?

Its great that the rain water flows towards the back of the pit during the winter, not filling the roll of plastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm finding grass slow enough coming, is anyone else finding the same
    . Cows are skinning paddocks so.i wont reduce just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kevthegaff wrote: »

Slow enough here as well. I must do a walk tomorrow but we could do with a bit of rain to kick it on.

Ground very dry and zero waste though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Spread Fertliser last Friday am bit of rain in afternoon and it’s hoping since 6.2 kg meal 1/2 kg dm silage .cows have never milked as well pity about price dropping ....load of nuts yesterday gone up 10 per tonne ....

was the butterfat and protein maintained or went up or down or what. teagasc as always only tell half the story.

cosatron wrote: »
    was the butterfat and protein maintained or went up or down or what. teagasc as always only tell half the story.

No idea, tbh. I just keep an eye on the account to watch the changes in grass composition over the year.

No idea, tbh. I just keep an eye on the account to watch the changes in grass composition over the year.

sound horse. we just finished our first rotation on old grass from November with the cows working at 29l, 4.25 bf and 3.2 p so it will interest to see if the protein will jump on the new grass in the second rotation, it looks good but maybe not enough as the growth isn't hectic but they seem to be content enough which is the main thing.

• Advertisement

Problem is a lot of people don't have second round covers at that due to first round being grazed in March as opposed to feb. Reckon DM is lower at lower covers also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

An interesting summary of births and the % change of sires used in the dairy herd
    https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=15727

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Problem is a lot of people don't have second round covers at that due to first round being grazed in March as opposed to feb. Reckon DM is lower at lower covers also

What about 3rd round covers lol?

Timmaay wrote: »
    What about 3rd round covers lol?

Dry world problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Lads Milk recording with the ediy in the morning and have two cows with duplicate tag numbers. It says to enter check digit what is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Lads Milk recording with the ediy in the morning and have two cows with duplicate tag numbers. It says to enter check digit what is this?

Check digit is the next number in from the tag number
    .eg
    2-1334
    3-1334

Rushed all morning to get sorted for a discussion group meeting at 11. I only spotted the Whatsapp message last Wednesday, meeting called for next Thursday.

Logged on this morning to find out the meeting was last Thursday:o

This Thursday is this weeks Thursday and next Thursday is next week? Feck it anyway:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I see they jerseys are down and aubracs up,,-yeah right.🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Check digit is the next number in from the tag number
    .eg
    2-1334
    3-1334

you need to call one 334 and the other 1334 and update you icbf cow number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

K.G. wrote: »
    I see they jerseys are down and aubracs up,,-yeah right.🀔
    I would imagine the difference would be obvious?

• Advertisement

Started ai today . Wasnt going to start until next week but have 7 for this morning. The circle never ends...

I would imagine the difference would be obvious?

As obvious as the difference between a duck and a turkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Started ai today . Wasnt going to start until next week but have 7 for this morning. The circle never ends...

Started this morning as well. Ai man was nearby when we rang and in the yard in 5 minutes.

He seemed to be busy and in a hurry.

whelan2 wrote: »

5 last night going and 3 this morning but said feck it sticking to my guns, next week will be start. Have a cow with e coli and one of the last to calf has a dead calf inside her so the thought of calves landing in Jan is def put to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

For right or wrong I have a British Friesian stock bull running with them here. I am absolutely flat to the mat trying to get little bits finished about the parlour, setting up paddocks, upgrading water and doing a bit of reseeding. Throw in that I have still all of the sucklers as coronavirus killed off my idea of selling them. I reckoned a bull would take one job off of my plate.

Grueller wrote: »
    For right or wrong I have a British Friesian stock bull running with them here. I am absolutely flat to the mat trying to get little bits finished about the parlour, setting up paddocks, upgrading water and doing a bit of reseeding. Throw in that I have still all of the sucklers as coronavirus killed off my idea of selling them. I reckoned a bull would take one job off of my plate.

Bang on. Have to make the show manageable for yourself as well. Stick a chinball on him to get dates and keep an eye for repeats. How many cows for him?

Bang on. Have to make the show manageable for yourself as well. Stick a chinball on him to get dates and keep an eye for repeats. How many cows for him?

There's no pleasure in being killed from work.

Only 30 here yet. Need to get the sucklers out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Shush now. You'll have everyone copying you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Be very careful of the friesian bulls in August. They're lethal.

I was asked to put this post up
    This time 25 years ago progressive genetics purchased the states cattle breeding and ancillary services formerly run by the Dublin district milk board. The board of pg , made up of ordinary farmers, paid close to 4 million pounds to complete the deal which included one of the finest farms in the country. This was a remarkable achievement. Their vision was to own, control and develop the cattle breeding business in Ireland for the benefit of its farmer users, their shareholders. This was fonevagainst a strong headwind of national and international competition. They gave their time and careful attention to make this project happen. Their cooperative now has a strong foundation after rationalizing the business and adding to it. Their customer base can expect a first class service into the future and adding to the business if the opportunity arises. A string farmer board,excellent management and staff and shareholders who will keep steady pressure on if needed, will lead us into the future.
    Some of the people who did great work in the campaign are no longer with us.

Lads what's yet opinion. I have to let cows across a very very quiet road. At the other side the cows come down a steep hill but today herself was late opening the gate and they pushed up each other and knocked down a peer also. Just wondering what is the best solution, should I widen the roadway where they come down where they will still push again each other. I was thinking of a heavy duty bar instead or am I mad

Milk urea has gone 24, 24, 23, 27 then fell to 20. The heifers are getting 4kg in the parlour and in covers of about 1400. Gone from a fresh reseed to old pasture marked for reseeding later this year. Have I anything to worry about?

Milk urea has gone 24, 24, 23, 27 then fell to 20. The heifers are getting 4kg in the parlour and in covers of about 1400. Gone from a fresh reseed to old pasture marked for reseeding later this year. Have I anything to worry about?

No.

Last couple of cows that calved have sunburn- I think- on their spins. Anyone else have this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Lads what's yet opinion. I have to let cows across a very very quiet road. At the other side the cows come down a steep hill but today herself was late opening the gate and they pushed up each other and knocked down a peer also. Just wondering what is the best solution, should I widen the roadway where they come down where they will still push again each other. I was thinking of a heavy duty bar instead or am I mad

I have the same crossing. I got a heavy duty gate made up that swings out onto the road and blocks most of that side of the road. I also put an electrified bungee cord approximately 20 metres back from the gate if I need to hold them back. I normally bring the cows so far along the road, hop into the jeep and open 2 gates to block the road. I walk back and hunt on the cows then

I have the same crossing. I got a heavy duty gate made up that swings out onto the road and blocks most of that side of the road. I also put an electrified bungee cord approximately 20 metres back from the gate if I need to hold them back. I normally bring the cows so f
    ar along the road, hop into the jeep and open 2 gates to block the road. I walk back and hunt on the cows then

Is it hung off a rsj

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Is it hung off a rsj

Yes. I had an ordinary gate there before but was afraid that the cows would blow the gate out onto the road if I wasn't there before them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Could you use those electrified mats on the road your crossing and leave cows cross themselves or is the road a bit too busy for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Would it be an option to form a short spur passage either side of the gate to allow relief of the pressure if the gate wasn't open?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement