Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

I can recommend watching IfarmWefarm on youtube. He's a small dairy farmer in cavan that has everything fairly spot on and very neat and tidy. He's a pleasure to watch compared to all the 200 cow heroes pushed on you from other videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Freejin

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Could you use those electrified mats on the road your crossing and leave cows cross themselves or is the road a bit too busy for that?

Where would one come across these electrified mats??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Freejin wrote: »
    Where would one come across these electrified mats??

You just make them up with mesh cable tied onto cow mats. Then clip the fence onto it when in use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    You just make them up with mesh cable tied onto cow mats. Then clip the fence onto it when in use

What about pedestrians...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Lads what's yet opinion. I have to let cows across a very very quiet road. At the other side the cows come down a steep hill but today herself was late opening the gate and they pushed up each other and knocked down a peer also. Just wondering what is the best solution, should I widen the roadway where they come down where they will still push again each other. I was thinking of a heavy duty bar instead or am I mad

Its the steep hill is the problem really is it?
    3 solution s
    Can you put gap /divert road to eliminate the run to the gate
    Put a f##k off gate there but there would be a lot of problems with cow ompaction and opening the gate
    Put in an extra wide haard standing around gate extending beyond gate to give cows more run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Thanks for the reply lads I'll prob have to widen the waiting area, cos it's dangerous opening the gate if cows are against it. What size rsj etc would I need. Like the idea of electric Matt, as I could go up and get them without having to walk down the steep hill to open the gate and back.up to the jeep afterwards iykwim. Herself was opening the gate sometimes but isnt always available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

kevthegaff wrote:
    Thanks for the reply lads I'll prob have to widen the waiting area, cos it's dangerous opening the gate if cows are against it. What size rsj etc would I need. Like the idea of electric Matt, as I could go up and get them without having to walk down the steep hill to open the gate and back.up to the jeep afterwards iykwim. Herself was opening the gate sometimes but isnt always available

We used to walk cow's across the road, I used to go out with a girl from a town. Her job one day was just to stand on the road with a hi-vis. Cow's knew the craic. First cow walked out and looked at this one, she screamed and ran away and the cow's all scattered back into the field!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

does any one know what the base is for the kg on the ebi system
    if i have a cow thats -20 on her milk kg, if the base is 480kg she should do 460kg
    trying to make sense of my milk by cow per kg over her life and ebi rating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

does any one know what the base is for the kg on the ebi system
    if i have a cow thats -20 on her milk kg, if the base is 480kg she should do 460kg
    trying to make sense of my milk by cow per kg over her life and ebi rating

https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=5852

The milk kg refers to actual litres if milk. The base cow is a 5743 kg of milk cow cow. So if your herd is -20kg for milk ebi predicts it to do 5723 kg of milk in the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The milk kg refers to actual litres if milk. The base cow is a 5743 kg of milk cow cow. So if your herd is -20kg for milk ebi predicts it to do 5723 kg of milk in the year

*on a tonne of meal.

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    We used to walk cow's across the road, I used to go out with a girl from a town. Her job one day was just to stand on the road with a hi-vis. Cow's knew the craic. First cow walked out and looked at this one, she screamed and ran away and the cow's all scattered back into the field!

As good a filter as any, you saved yourself a difficult conversation.

im trying to make sense of it but cant follow it at all, does it re-evaluate a cow after every lactation
    an example
    have a cow 7th lactation, done 7000 litres avg over 7 lactations, avg kg of solids is 500kg and the cow has a milk ebi of -19??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

im trying to make sense of it but cant follow it at all, does it re-evaluate a cow after every lactation
    an example
    have a cow 7th lactation, done 7000 litres avg over 7 lactations, avg kg of solids is 500kg and the cow has a milk ebi of -19??

It takes the relatives into account as well I think. Have had cow's off stock bulls here calved every Feb on the button for 6 plus years and had negative fertility figures

Mooooo wrote: »
    It takes the relatives into account as well I think. Have had cow's off stock bulls here calved every Feb on the button for 6 plus years and had negative fertility figures

system makes no sense, fair enough when they are calves to use dam info but once they start milking surely their data is all that matters, 50% chance shell be better or worse than her mother

how do srm bulls on ai catelogue have such high rating they surely have no reliable relatives information

how do they downgrade stock bulls over ai bulls? prob similar to how they down grade international bulls

you dont really know what you are really buying under the ebi system,
    im finding it harder to sell stock as ebi is not great but herd milk well and go back in calf ever year

an example

What % reliability is that EBI? Some of them are below 20% reliable so you're hardly going to take anything too seriously @ 20%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Growth of 101 this last 5 day. May have to take a few bales mid week.

Growth of 101 this last 5 day. May have to take a few bales mid week.

Grass went mad here the last couple of days. I thought I was going to be very tight but now I could make bales by right. The rain might put a hunger on them

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Any know how flechvieh sell as beef heifers? Say15-16 months of age? Thinking of using it as a sweeper straw with the option of keeping the heifers if we’re low on friesians and selling for beef if we’ve enough friesians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Can you not look up your previous trading statements on glanbia connect anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Kev. I'm using a simple chicane system. Two timber stakes set in concrete in a car tyre. First one is 6-7 metres back from gate and next a further length back. Two bungee cords electrified stretched out from either side of roadway leaving only enough space for one cow to pass inside stake. They must weave in around the cords to continue to the closed gate to wait.
    When gate is opened just pop off the cords and the cows have the full width of roadway instantly.
    Had a bad experience one morning with cows pushing against gate due to bulls chasing bullers. Couldn't get gate open with pressure.
    Was on road side. The gate basically folded with the pressure and flew open. I took the brunt on the hip and shoulder but also took a whack to the head. I fell onto the ground but just about got it together to roll out of way as they flew out across road. Closest one I ever had. Bruised and a bump on head. Never latch that gate any more just tie it with a rope so it can be cut if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Unbelievably dangerous when cows crush like that. I remember years ago they did it here in the yard during testing and a cow fell and was killed by the others. Just heard that horrible roar and could do nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Hi there just wondering if anyone here has had a milk recording since restrictions were introduced? . In south and normally done through Munster bovine. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Toetohand wrote: »
    Hi there just wondering if anyone here has had a milk recording since restrictions were introduced? . In south and normally done through Munster bovine. Thanks.

Yes last week. Recorder drops off sample bottles and I used my own meters and samplers.
    Family effort and no arguments... Success :)

Edit to say diy is working as normal afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see the cows here were on a field that was reseeded in 2017 and got a good dose of basalt when it was tilled. The milk yield jumped to 33 litres/cow last week. It was 31 before and went back to 31 after this plot.
    Now today they've gone onto grass sprayed with seaweed and molasses and the jars are well up this evening again.
    Anyone that just applies npk really has blinkers on.

I see the cows here were on a field that was reseeded in 2017 and got a good dose of basalt when it was tilled. The milk yield jumped to 33 litres/cow last week. It was 31 before and went back to 31 after this plot.
    Now today they've gone onto grass sprayed with seaweed and molasses and the jars are well up this evening again.

You forgot about sulphur and lime :P

• Advertisement

You forgot about sulphur and lime :P

And boron and selenium. Ah shur we'll add em on..:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Did u not here they don’t want milk this year - lol

I slipped up writting in a mother for a calf and now i cant figure which one it is.is there any way of getting a list of cows to calve off agfood or icbf.dont have the bulling dates in for stock bulls which we are.on now

How many MS per cow per day are they milking?

straight wrote: »
    How many MS per cow per day are they milking?

3.62 bf
    3.5 pr.

Whatever that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

K.G. wrote: »
    I slipped up writting in a mother for a calf and now i cant figure which one it is.is there any way of getting a list of cows to calve off agfood or icbf.dont have the bulling dates in for stock bulls which we are.on now

You can go through the progeny list on agfood and from there decipher which one hasn’t had a reg this year if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Gillespy

33.333 litres is the holy grail on three day collection. 100 litres per cow in the tank. More soil voodoo needed to unlock that third of a litre.:D

3.62 bf
    3.5 pr.

Whatever that is.

2.42 kgs

Ours got to 2.36kgs in the last collection with 3.5l less.
    Think I'll stick to the NPKfor now:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

33.5% Nitrogen offered to me today for 2021 delivery @ €200/t.

I’m temped...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

33.5% Nitrogen offered to me today for 2021 delivery @ €200/t.

I’m temped...

Price of oil doesn't look like it will recovery anyday soon. It hasn't knocked back the fertilizer prices here yet however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ya with munster, dropped off the gear, 4 of us at it. Have plenty of help!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Word has it Munster will have recording up and running again very shortly

Timmaay wrote: »
    Price of oil doesn't look like it will recovery anyday soon. It hasn't knocked back the fertilizer prices here yet however.

Never seems to effect fert prices half as much here as elsewhere when it should be going down anyway. Very effective at pushing costs up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Timmaay wrote: »

The fert you’re using now was probably bought either this time last year or just before Xmas by your Coop/Merchant. Thus there will be no move in price for you unless they want to offload stock etc.

Coops/Merchants would have a nice €80-120+ per ton margin on your fert.
    You’d want to be fairly thick to swallow the usual line of “I’ve only the transport out of it” that they spin you.

• Advertisement

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    You can go through the progeny list on agfood and from there decipher which one hasn’t had a reg this year if that helps.

Yeah thats going through each cow individually isnt it.i can go through .date last calved on icbf and pick the 19 ones but i just thought there might be ahandy way to get a list

K.G. wrote: »
    Yeah thats going through each cow individually isnt it.i can go through .date last calved on icbf and pick the 19 ones but i just thought there might be ahandy way to get a list

Icbf expected calving list? Should still be up there. It's that one or another one that used to reduce as calves were registered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Word has it Munster will have recording up and running again very shortly
    Where did you get this news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

had a couple of cows in standing heat this am and left the bull to them,

AI man rang when he was near by, checking that we hadn't forgot to ring him

just thinking back big changes from when we first started ai. calls left at local creamery and ai man called about 10.30 to get them ,
    could arrive at any hour of the day

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ya with munster, dropped off the gear, 4 of us at it. Have plenty of help!!!

They refused to here when I contacted them, bulls hit about barcodes. They're mad to shut down the recorders and move it all to DIY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ffs butter in coffee

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ffs butter in coffee

It's a big thing in the States.

Thankfully:P

How much meal are you all feeding? I'm starting breeding here next week and the cows are going well and on 4 kg. I'm reluctant to cut it back coming into breeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

4kg of 16 % atm. Enough calmag in 3.5kg. Days are gone cold

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement