Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have one of them here on the air purge system the last 5yrs and it's never missed a beat. I remember the dairymaster chap doing up a quote for me, he put down a 1200e 300l compressor as an add on that I'd need... I'd swear they are told to test the water to see how much of an idiot you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The exports of livestock from here meet and exceed all the regulations in place but there appears to be a blind eye being shown to the handling of those stock once they land elsewhere.

Which is where all the reports are coming from:rolleyes:
    A EU committee has been set up to look into the live transport/shipment of animals within Member States and outside the EU.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/eu-approves-inquiry-into-live-animal-transport-553434

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

Base price wrote: »
    A EU committee has been set up to look into the live transport/shipment of animals within Member States and outside the EU.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/eu-approves-inquiry-into-live-animal-transport-553434

france germany neatherlands spain and italy are mentioned in the eu document were were only tiny players in the market, the main aim is to reduce transportation costs and have processing closer to where they are produced, its like a document larry and the greens came up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

straight wrote: »

Look at all the fertilizer he has and the department give us sh*t about the couple of bags to acre we put out

cosatron wrote: »
    Look at all the fertilizer he has and the department give us sh*t about the couple of bags to acre we put out

Tillage farmers are big users of fertiliser alright. I believe wexford has alot of issues with nitrates from tillage land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Tillage farmers are big users of fertiliser alright. I believe wexford has alot of issues with nitrates from tillage land

No no no no no....

It's the derogation..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Stupid independent with their paywall - can't see much of the article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN23T39E

Seems a bit late, what are they going to do reduce cow numbers? Do people actually buy into this.

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    That mobile phone mast is a spoiler...

ha, the 10m pricetag isn't an issue for alps but the phone mast is the deal breaker

ha, the 10m pricetag isn't an issue for alps but the phone mast is the deal breaker

The auctioneer is expecting interest from farmers. Highly profitable dairy farmers I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The auctioneer is expecting interest from farmers. Highly profitable dairy farmers I suppose.

For those old enough to remember the Ploughing Championships were held there in 1982.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Theres only a couple of farmers around the country the banks would back

dawg will come home from france and put 1000 xbred on it, easy money.

dawg will come home from france and put 1000 xbred on it, easy money.

The derogation alone is worth nearly €5k an acre..

wrangler wrote: »
    For those old enough to remember the Ploughing Championships were held there in 1982.

not before my time but too young to remember!!

are you familiar with the place or the land in the area? What's it like? Can't be too bad if there 750 acres of tillage on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Panch18 wrote: »
    not before my time but too young to remember!!

are you familiar with the place or the land in the area? What's it like? Can't be too bad if there 750 acres of tillage on it!

It's about ten miles from here, I heard that the grandfather did a lot of work reclaiming it etc to get it looking like that, I always heard it took a lot of maintenance, so was more than surprised at the quality of the land at the ploughing Championships. The place is a credit too them now.
    They used to make grass meal in the seventies and eighties. They used to feed a lot of cattle then too, they had a feeding conveyor for the cattle that I think caused the farm accident referred to in the indo report. Seller wouldn't be old, maybe 50 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Has he any daughters:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

Anyone ever use 29 0 14 with sulphur (protected urea fertiliser). Had you good results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mengele wrote: »
    Anyone ever use 29 0 14 with sulphur (protected urea fertiliser). Had you good results?

Yes using it here. Yeah think it's good stuff.lovely colour on the paddocks

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭farmertipp

wrangler wrote: »

was there. I recall it was very wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

Yes using it here. Yeah think it's good stuff.lovely colour on the paddocks

Do you know roughly what price it is? Was quoted 345 for 24, 2.5, 10 but rep didn't have the price for the protected urea blend off hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just after putting in a peracetic acid pump into the milk tank for the changeover to chlorine free, simple enough job though the guy putting it in had a bit of a job doing the programming.

There was a trial on going chlorine free done around here last year, everything done by the book and getting good results until one day a huge spike showed up. It was traced back to the water, mains water, being used for the wash. Turns out there was a leak in the main supply and a load of chlorine was added to disinfect the water and gave a spike in the test results.

Using mains here for washing and I can't see how we should be fined when the added chlorine wasn't added by us?

Just after putting in a peracetic acid pump into the milk tank for the changeover to chlorine free, simple enough job though the guy putting it in had a bit of a job doing the programming.

There was a trial on going chlorine free done around here last year, everything done by the book and getting good results until one day a huge spike showed up. It was traced back to the water, mains water, being used for the wash. Turns out there was a leak in the main supply and a load of chlorine was added to disinfect the water and gave a spike in the test results.

Using mains here for washing and I can't see how we should be fined when the added chlorine wasn't added by us?

Is your tank going to be using paracitic in the final wash or will there be a rinse after it?
    In glanbia they are testing the milk for paracitic residue now aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is your tank going to be using paracitic in the final wash or will there be a rinse after it?

Final rinse, there's no mention of peracetic acid residue testing as yet, that I've heard of anyway.

Final rinse, there's no mention of peracetic acid residue testing as yet, that I've heard of anyway.

Serpent is expensive. I went chlorine free on the tank about 2 years ago because the avalksan was crystallizing and blocking the pipes. No problems with it. Chlorine free on the machine is different story. You would often get the smell of chlorine off the water scheme here. It can't be good for the gut bacteria. Swimming pools are full of chlorine too. It burns my eyes and fades the kids swimwear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You sure on that? The idea of paracetic acid that the solution is used as the final rinse and it then breaks down. That's the way I've always used it here. Do a split rinse pre and post detergent in machine and have passed all TCM and chlorate tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ecoeye on rte1. I've listened to the 1st 5mins of this, and nothing but horsesh1t being pedalled about how unsustainable livestock farming is ffs.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ecoeye on rte1. I've listened to the 1st 5mins of this, and nothing but horsesh1t being pedalled about how unsustainable livestock farming is ffs.

U can't take that sh1t seriously. I have a great laugh at it. They always have an agenda, start with a big problem and finish with their "solution". Sure Duncan is gas altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

U can't take that sh1t seriously. I have a great laugh at it. They always have an agenda, start with a big problem and finish with their "solution". Sure Duncan is gas altogether.
    I heard he got burnt trying to finish JEX bull under 16months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Especcially after he landed on his head out foriegn a couple of years ago;)

Mooooo wrote: »
    You sure on that? The idea of paracetic acid that the solution is used as the final rinse and it then breaks down. That's the way I've always used it here. Do a split rinse pre and post detergent in machine and have passed all TCM and chlorate tests

Yep Glanbia testing for it. Had a pass result in April for it

Good alright. Better on a podcast though so you can listen on the go. He over worked during his best years, lost it all and it took an irish woman to straighten him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Seems a good spot alright but unless living very close robotic system seems a strange one for a partnership and a young herd there with the investment put in also. Normally I thought partnerships would be born more out of business further on. Know nothing off it so could be plenty reasons just not what I was expecting

https://youtu.be/Cszf_FMGaYM

Very strange and seems like a complicated system too, probably can't expand any further than the 130 now either because of the limit from the robots. Youd imagine a 26 unit milking parlour would be a better bet and could have 250 cows on an outdoors grass based system , would been less labour , hard see how that level of investment as a partnership can be sustained from 130 cows

Mf310 wrote: »
    Very strange and seems like a complicated system too, probably can't expand any further than the 130 now either because of the limit from the robots. Youd imagine a 26 unit milking parlour would be a better bet and could have 250 cows on an outdoors grass based system , would been less labour , hard see how that level of investment as a partnership can be sustained from 130 cows

When you see the level of investment in that place you’d want to be careful you wouldn’t becoming a debt partner as well!!

How many kg meal are you all feeding?.4kg here nearly the whole way so far since cows started calving.
    Thinking of dropping back to 2 kg for a few weeks.
    Grass quality excellent, cows doing 2.1 kgs

Still at 4 as well, been between there and 3 kg but trying to keep quality grass has been a bit of a challenge in the last 2 week's. Baler will be on soon, I hope, to bale 10 acres mown yday. Down at 1.9kg solids, 62% first and second calvers. For the output the meal should be lowered but will try and get grass quality back on track again first. Will be scanning heifers 2moro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

How many kg meal are you all feeding?.4kg here nearly the whole way so far since cows started calving.
    Thinking of dropping back to 2 kg for a few weeks.
    Grass quality excellent, cows doing 2.1 kgs

Averaging 5.3 kg range 3/7 kg of 14% 2.43!kgms .bulling activity gone v quite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Put pour on on cows yesterday evening. Was extremely warm. Waterproof trousers stuck to me when finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're a brave man Mooo, to mow yesterday.

Was feeding 4 kg here and pulled it back to 2.5 when they went to aftergrass. They dropped back a bit but are back up now again around the 2kg solids per day.

Water John wrote: »
    You're a brave man Mooo, to mow yesterday.

Worked out ok, bit of mist this morning but rake has just left and baler finishing up in the neighbours so should get done before any rain. Worst case scenario would be wet bales but grass back in 2.5 weeks, best case scenario ok bales and grass back in 2.5 weeks so said I'd chance it

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Averaging 5.3 kg range 3/7 kg of 14% 2.43!kgms .bulling activity gone v quite

That's super production. 2.35 is what we peaked at. Very happy with them tbh.
    Running 30kgs ahead of last year so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How do ye make up the kgs per day

kevthegaff wrote: »
    How do ye make up the kgs per day

Litres x 1.03 to get kgs. Add bf and p together and divide by 100. Multiply together then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Litres x 1.03 to get kgs. Add bf and p together and divide by 100. Multiply together then

I changed over to HerdApp from Herdwatch this year and it gives you the
    MS. yields. etc etc, automatically. Fully syncing with Arrabawn and Icbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

orm0nd wrote: »

Pasture base will do the same, and has good report and graphs ms, ltr, and %s for the year.

Anyone know why glanbia can't sync with herdapp?

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »

do herdapp do inbreeding checks aswell or is that only icbf herdplus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement