Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What does everyone pay for 2nd cut into the pit? Likes of 5bales/ac stuff? At what point is it cheaper to make bales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Feeding 4.5 kgs here. Milk solids at 1.79 with 100% heifers. Just like previous poster grass quality has been an issue for the last 10 days or so( since the growth kicked). Moving onto aftergrass from monday onwards so hoping to cut back to 3-3.5 and also hoping for a little lift in the milk....lots of hoping;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Freejin

Anybody on here get cows scanned externally rather than arm? Are they on a par for dating accuracy and for diagnosing twins? Also how soon after serving can external scanning be used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Freejin wrote: »
    Anybody on here get cows scanned externally rather than arm? Are they on a par for dating accuracy and for diagnosing twins? Also how soon after serving can external scanning be used?

Afaik they need to be fairly well on to be able to scan externally, could be wrong tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

So today we finally paid off the loan for the shed knocked in storm Darwin, 6 years ago now. It was nice to see a small positive balance in that loan account.

I might hold off putting up another one for a few years now:)

• Advertisement

Freejin wrote: »

Using the preg check milk sample testing this year. Accurate from 28 days. Finding it a great job. Only downside is it doesn't pick up twins or embryonic deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

So today we finally paid off the loan for the shed knocked in storm Darwin, 6 years ago now. It was nice to see a small positive balance in that loan account.

I might hold off putting up another one for a few years now:)

Don't tell your wife about the positive

straight wrote: »
    Don't tell your wife about the positive

:D

She spent to whole of our marriage up to this spring giving out about me putting up sheds. She spent a good bit of time since the lockdown helping the kids out with the calves morning and evening and suggested the other day that we should think about putting up a calf shed to reduce the workload and reduce disease pressure, so that's a win:)

When I suggested it last year, I was given an earfull about putting up another shed:pac:

Sometimes you have to plant a seed and wait for it to grow:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »

So basically "This container is recyclable" is going to be printed on the container.

You've got to love optics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote:
    What does everyone pay for 2nd cut into the pit? Likes of 5bales/ac stuff? At what point is it cheaper to make bales?

95 incl vat for self propelled is what I paid for first cut. Not shook out. Crew helped me cover the pit. Bales work out about 11eur. I think. Iv only a few made this year,no bill yet. I'm biased towards pit here. Not overly fond of bales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Feeding 4.5 kgs here. Milk solids at 1.79 with 100% heifers. Just like previous poster grass quality has been an issue for the last 10 days or so( since the growth kicked). Moving onto aftergrass from monday onwards so hoping to cut back to 3-3.5 and also hoping for a little lift in the milk....lots of hoping;)

You must have good heifers. Mine are 100% heifers too and are on 1.58 milk solids on 4 kgs per day.
    Edited to say that grass quality is an issue here with 60% of the farm in dire need of reseeding.

Grueller wrote: »
    You must have good heifers. Mine are 100% heifers too and are on 1.58 milk solids on 4 kgs per day.
    Edited to say that grass quality is an issue here with 60% of the farm in dire need of reseeding.

Rome wasn't built in a day, you'll get there sooner than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You's are both in for a total shock come next April when all them 2nd calvers really get going and pumping out the likes of 25 to 27l average. Not to mind the fact that you'll be amazed with how easy milkings are in the spring without pure heifers ha. 1st year by far the steepest and most difficult learning curve of any stage in a dairy farm, I hear that repeatedly from all new entrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Timmaay wrote: »
    You's are both in for a total shock come next April when all them 2nd calvers really get going and pumping out the likes of 25 to 27l average. Not to mind the fact that you'll be amazed with how easy milkings are in the spring without pure heifers ha. 1st year by far the steepest and most difficult learning curve of any stage in a dairy farm, I hear that repeatedly from all new entrants.
    I wouldn't wish a herd of heifers on my worst enemy, id buy a good (suitable) herd of cows any day. Wouldn't be anything much in it financially (I'd guess!), but sometimes life is too short for such hardships.

76% of heifers held to fixed time ai, any of the rest of ye do it? How did ye fare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

76% of heifers held to fixed time ai, any of the rest of ye do it? How did ye fare?

Used estrumate here on day 7 and stayed aiing up to day 21 66% held not overly happy expected better but anyway.. 76% is v decent out of interest did you do sexed semen?

I wouldn't wish a herd of heifers on my worst enemy, id buy a good (suitable) herd of cows any day. Wouldn't be anything much in it financially (I'd guess!), but sometimes life is too short for such hardships.

Was expecting plenty of hardship with them alright but it turned out much easier than expected. We got a couple of tonne of precalver blown into the bin and put all the heifers through the parlour for a couple of months before calving. We rubbed their udders as well as turned on the machine. It meant they were used to the noise,handling,coming and going. It was the best spent time ever.
    The biggest issue we had was we had our fair share of heifers develop mastitis 2 or 3 days after calving. Maybe 7 of 8 of the 70. Cubicles were kept clean bedded with 20% hydrated lime blend. Anyone with similar experience?

Mf310 wrote: »
    Used estrumate here on day 7 and stayed aiing up to day 21 66% held not overly happy expected better but anyway.. 76% is v decent out of interest did you do sexed semen?

No sexed, not at the stage yet to risk it I feel however some seem to have had good results but still seems to be mixed in general.
    Coiled and receptal day 0, estrumate day 5, estrumate and coil out day 6, and ai and receptal day 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Was expecting plenty of hardship with them alright but it turned out much easier than expected. We got a couple of tonne of precalver blown into the bin and put all the heifers through the parlour for a couple of months before calving. We rubbed their udders as well as turned on the machine. It meant they were used to the noise,handling,coming and going. It was the best spent time ever.
    The biggest issue we had was we had our fair share of heifers develop mastitis 2 or 3 days after calving. Maybe 7 of 8 of the 70. Cubicles were kept clean bedded with 20% hydrated lime blend. Anyone with similar experience?

Our first year sealing heifers here and very happy with it. All spotless at calving and afterwards. Even though it seems to be manifesting for you after a few days, could the infection still have set in just before or during calving? Are they removed quickly form the calving area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Timmaay wrote:

One new entrant said to me ' someone told me these bastards are gonna calf again next year!! '

alps wrote: »
    Our first year sealing heifers here and very happy with it. All spotless at calving and afterwards. Even though it seems to be manifesting for you after a few days, could the infection still have set in just before or during calving? Are they removed quickly form the calving area?
    +1
    Heifers can be a devil for dropping milk pre or at calving and leave themselves very vulnerable that way.
    I'd milk any heifer dropping milk even a few days before calving, we seal them a month if 2 pee calving with the last few years and we've no problems any more... touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Farney Farmer

No sexed, not at the stage yet to risk it I feel however some seem to have had good results but still seems to be mixed in general.
    Coiled and receptal day 0, estrumate day 5, estrumate and coil out day 6, and ai and receptal day 8

How much does all that cost per heifer?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I have a cow here with an ulcer at the top of her udder affecting one quarter. Cow has no mastitis and it’s not bothering her. I’ve tried udder creams, sprays and even manuka honey(vet said to try it) but it’s not healing. Anyone have this or know what I could try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/what-pesticides-are-being-applied-to-grass-and-fodder-crops-each-year/ at last some good news on irish agriculture, less than 1/3 we use than the EU average pesticide usage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

RedPeppers wrote: »
    I have a cow here with an ulcer at the top of her udder affecting one quarter. Cow has no mastitis and it’s not bothering her. I’ve tried udder creams, sprays and even manuka honey(vet said to try it) but it’s not healing. Anyone have this or know what I could try?

intra repiderma gel, if that dosent heal it up noting will

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

kevthegaff wrote: »
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/what-pesticides-are-being-applied-to-grass-and-fodder-crops-each-year/ at last some good news on irish agriculture, less than 1/3 we use than the EU average pesticide usage

Less tillage I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

RedPeppers wrote: »

Could you Milk that quarter OAD to give it a chance to heal alongside whatever you're putting on it topically.

I'll throw up the tweet below but Tommy Heffernan had an interesting conversation with Andre Van Barnevelt a few days ago. He's definitely full on but definitely thought provoking as well. About 50 minutes long.
    https://twitter.com/tommythevet/status/1275687456055099392?s=19

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Is there a maximum distance a paddock should be from the parlour? Or what’s the longest distance you should have to avoid lameness issues?

It’d be a twice-a-day system rather OAD

Apologies if this has been discussed before

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Is there a maximum distance a paddock should be from the parlour? Or what’s the longest distance you should have to avoid lameness issues?

It’d be a twice-a-day system rather OAD

Apologies if this has been discussed before

Distance is not the issue. It's the cow you have for that distance is the issue. The bigger and heavier the cow is less able to sustain long walks.

Long walks will cost you on milk output as energy is used up. We have 550kg cows with max if 1.5km. 3 days of that and well make sure there short for the next 5 or 6 days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We put them to far away paddocks during the day. Maximum walk is a mile to the furthest field. Then to a close by one at night

whelan2 wrote: »
    We put them to far away paddocks during the day. Maximum walk is a mile to the furthest field. Then to a close by one at night

I remember my father doing the same. They’d be handy then for the morning

Distance is not the issue. It's the cow you have for that distance is the issue. The bigger and heavier the cow is less able to sustain long walks.

Long walks will cost you on milk output as energy is used up. We have 550kg cows with max if 1.5km. 3 days of that and well make sure there short for the next 5 or 6 days..

Thanks for that. Do you mean 1.5km to the parlour, so 3km for there and back? Or 1.5km is a round trip, so 750m each way?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Do you mean 1.5km to the parlour, so 3km for there and back? Or 1.5km is a round trip, so 750m each way?

1.5 each way, but the long walk once a day like Whelan does would break that distance nicely. I just find that hard in a 19/20 day round as cows end up doing the bones of 3 days in a paddock.

1.5 each way, but the long walk once a day like Whelan does would break that distance nicely. I just find that hard in a 19/20 day round as cows end up doing the bones of 3 days in a paddock.

Thanks again. The reason I ask is that I went for a walk today on some of our land that’s leased out and, I’m blaming the sunshine, but a notion to look into milking cows came to mind. We milked cows here up til 2001 and paddocks, roadway, water troughs, and cubicles are in place. The cubicles are somewhat converted to a lambing shed at the moment but could be converted back again

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manorpark man

Well lads anyone experiencing problems with ai’ing heifers this year, have Moocall collar this 4 years and find it great tbh.... this year have 3 heifers especially out of 15 comin around at all sorts of days 9,11, 15 etc,.... they hardly all have Cysts? Never had as much hastdship as this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Well lads anyone experiencing problems with ai’ing heifers this year, have Moocall collar this 4 years and find it great tbh.... this year have 3 heifers especially out of 15 comin around at all sorts of days 9,11, 15 etc,.... they hardly all have Cysts? Never had as much hastdship as this year
    Good ai man will know if in heat and can check for cysts ..fixed time ai only job for heifers then let bull off

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manorpark man

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Good ai man will know if in heat and can check for cysts ..fixed time ai only job for heifers then let bull off

Couple times he told me not properly on, one such heifer since first served has come in intervals as such.... 11,15,15,8 and 12 days..... can ai men check for cysts? Must ask him, like personally ai’n heifers to natural heats, no bull here at all and no plans with heifers or cows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Couple times he told me not properly on, one such heifer since first served has come in intervals as such.... 11,15,15,8 and 12 days..... can ai men check for cysts? Must ask him, like personally ai’n heifers to natural heats, no bull here at all and no plans with heifers or cows

Is the teaser bull at fault?

Scan them is the safest bet. Time moving now 3 weeks and it'll be May calving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

Scan them is the safest bet. Time moving now 3 weeks and it'll be May calving

nothing wrong with a couple of may calves, sure what else would you be at:eek:

cosatron wrote: »
    nothing wrong with a couple of may calves, sure what else would you be at:eek:

Had 4 here :(

We had 3 surprise June calves from heifers. And no May calves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

We had 3 surprise June calves from heifers. And no May calves
    Was it a stock Bull or their comrade Bull calves did the job? Were they big enough to milk on?

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Was it a stock Bull or their comrade Bull calves did the job? Were they big enough to milk on?

They were supposed to be autumn calvers , so are big enough. My dads bull he has with his pedigree angus herd did the job. Sold 2 of the calves for export this morning

They were supposed to be autumn calvers , so are big enough. My dads bull he has with his pedigree angus herd did the job. Sold 2 of the calves for export this morning

Are they still taking AAs bulls for export?

Are they still taking AAs bulls for export?

Ye got 150 each

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

4 may calves is ok,14 is a b#ll#cks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement