Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

If a dog has neospora is it only a danger to breeding cattle for a certain length of time or is it a danger for its lifetime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Afaik a dog may pick it up and then clear it from the system whereas if a cow gets it they have it for life. I think, asked the vet is there any point testing the dog and he said not really due to the above. I think

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Arrabawn supplier here. Got hit with a tbc deduction back in March due to one result. Rest of the year no issues. Is there some refund on money that was stopped back in March as rest of year all tests passed, just thought I heard that before could be wrong?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

mind your contractors as tbey are getting scarse and we.need them now more than ever between larger dairy berds,part time drystock.farms,lack of casual help and the high cost of gear especially silage harvesting.depending on young fellas plans could see us bringing more work in house as getting silage right is alot more important with abolition of quotas.cant afford to park cows anymore for long dry periods.trailing shoes\dribblescoming in more and more driven by derogation and spreading options(higher grass covers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Arrabawn supplier here. Got hit with a tbc deduction back in March due to one result. Rest of the year no issues. Is there some refund on money that was stopped back in March as rest of year all tests passed, just thought I heard that before could be wrong?

Ring them. If you have a good record they usually give the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

K.G. wrote: »
    mind your contractors as tbey are getting scarse and we.need them now more than ever between larger dairy berds,part time drystock.farms,lack of casual help and the high cost of gear especially silage harvesting.depending on young fellas plans could see us bringing more work in house as getting silage right is alot more important with abolition of quotas.cant afford to park cows anymore for long dry periods.trailing shoes\dribblescoming in more and more driven by derogation and spreading options(higher grass covers)

Their isn’t to much minding on a lad that leaves a pit like this, got additive/ mowed harvested in perfect conditions but the loader driver didn’t feel the need to do the sides right, might of been some excuse if the boss man himself hasn’t been the loader driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My teagasc feed budget says I need 150 bales of silage for these maidens this winter, I'm hoping to get away with 15.

Timmaay wrote: »
    My teagasc feed budget says I need 150 bales of silage for these maidens this winter, I'm hoping to get away with 15.

The fact your driving in a field helps, wouldn't get passed a gap here without making ****e of it, even in our dry ground. Dunno the amount but had fairly consistent rain down here since late Oct

Mooooo wrote: »
    The fact your driving in a field helps, wouldn't get passed a gap here without making ****e of it, even in our dry ground. Dunno the amount but had fairly consistent rain down here since late Oct

I'd say 80% of the farm is untrafficable at the minute, but I'm lucky enough to have these few good paddocks, with decent covers, I'd be stone mad not to try clean them out right now while I can, hopefully slurry out on Jan 12th and graze again mid spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

60 interlocking type cubicle mats stolen from a yard local to us here during the week. Keep an eye out. Salesmen in the yard the previous day with a quare good deal on spanners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'd say 80% of the farm is untrafficable at the minute, but I'm lucky enough to have these few good paddocks, with decent covers, I'd be stone mad not to try clean them out right now while I can, hopefully slurry out on Jan 12th and graze again mid spring.

See a tanker spreading up the road from me today. Why wait until January. I don't understand it in fairness given the good back end and extended spreading period. Spreading in bad conditions too.

Dosed youngstock today with white dose and did for lice. Brought in calf heifers in. Put bull in with autumn calving cows. Did 3 weeks ai, 90% submitted. No prescanning, I was away for 3 days of that 3 weeks so the ones that weren't served might have been in heat then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

60 interlocking type cubicle mats stolen from a yard local to us here during the week. Keep an eye out. Salesmen in the yard the previous day with a quare good deal on spanners.

They took some moving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

whelan2 wrote: »
    See a tanker spreading up the road from me today. Why wait until January. I don't understand it in fairness given the good back end and extended spreading period. Spreading in bad conditions too.

Neighbour here kept spreading up to Nov 5th and is out today backing in gaps leaving off slurry...**** flowing out across the road all year, it's appalling. Takes absolutely no notice of **** everywhere...

Our slurry contractor is at dirty water 3 nights a week, regardless of overhead or under foot conditions.."just has to go out"

What chance have we of seeing an improvement in rivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

alps wrote: »
    Neighbour here kept spreading up to Nov 5th and is out today backing in gaps leaving off slurry...**** flowing out across the road all year, it's appalling. Takes absolutely no notice of **** everywhere...

Our slurry contractor is at dirty water 3 nights a week, regardless of overhead or under foot conditions.."just has to go out"

Some people never stop spreading and more than you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

mahoney_j wrote: »
    They took some moving

You know if these ****ers would put the same effort into an honest days work then they’d be serious employees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

New EBI reports are out

straight wrote: »
    New EBI reports are out

Did you see any big movers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Another reason why dairyfarmers should let contractors do nearly all machinery work, it's bloody impossible to get a mechanic to service anything these days. Tried 4 different lads and none got time.

Our scraper tractor is a 35x. It's blowing out oil. We have a 20 that was redone but the lift didn't work. We got the cylinder ram and head in conatys for 150 euro. Mechanic came today and fitted it. €100. I was going to buy a tractor on done deal. He will take the 35 and redo it for me over time. I rang him in Monday and he came today.

• Advertisement

I've looked at that link a couple of times and it seems to me that they started with a set of answers and came up with questions to fit them. A very Irish approach to agri research. At least all the information isn't travelling one direction any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I've looked at that link a couple of times and it seems to me that they started with a set of answers and came up with questions to fit them. A very Irish approach to agri research. At least all the information isn't travelling one direction any longer.

It's a scientific trial though with results published in a peer reviewed paper. The trial has been done over a few years. I persume you read the paper not just the summary? It puts a big hole in the idea that premowing will do much to increase farm profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

yewtree wrote: »
    It's a scientific trial though with results published in a peer reviewed paper. The trial has been done over a few years. I persume you read the paper not just the summary? It puts a big hole in the idea that premowing will do much to increase farm profit

Mightn't be relevant at all here, pre mowing going into a hot dry weather is very different to our usual conditions so impacts on growth unlikely

yewtree wrote: »

Premowing doesn't do a whole lot for farm profit. It's to be avoided tbh but setting up a rotation to do it continuously and then declaring it to be unprofitable is not reflective of a real world scenario. It sometimes needs to be done and imo has a place.

Premowing doesn't do a whole lot for farm profit. It's to be avoided tbh but setting up a rotation to do it continuously and then declaring it to be unprofitable is not reflective of a real world scenario. It sometimes needs to be done and imo has a place.

Another tool in your grassland management box, use it when it's necessary but not all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

Pulsation seems to be slower this evening. Gauge is reading 15. Old type 4-1 relays. They seem to be pulsing OK but just slower. Anything handy I can check?

Cow's dried off first time in years we won't be milking thru Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Aaaaaaaand relax

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

premowing is more about correcting past .istakes thananything else.can be a handy way of extending rotation in certain circumstances and the right weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

alps wrote: »

On that note I have to say this weeks ETTG was a bit depressing - the section on that wonderfully integrated organic farm in North Tipp featured a tour of it by young dairy farmers/students. Sadly none showed much interest or knowledge of basic concepts like soil health, nutrient mangement,ammonia emmisions, water quality etc. I just hope its not reflective of where the industry is heading!! A poor reflection too on the Agri-colleges, Teagasc etc. if this is the standard of education in the industry:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Birdnuts wrote: »
    On that note I have to say this weeks ETTG was a bit depressing - the section on that wonderfully integrated organic farm in North Tipp featured a tour of it by young dairy farmers/students. Sadly none showed much interest or knowledge of basic concepts like soil health, nutrient mangement,ammonia emmisions, water quality etc. I just hope its not reflective of where the industry is heading!! A poor reflection too on the Agri-colleges, Teagasc etc. if this is the standard of education in the industry:(
    I had 3 cousins in that segment! Although I would agree alot of recent grads are dismissive of organic, but look at what has been pushed over the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I had 3 cousins in that segment! Although I would agree alot of recent grads are dismissive of organic, but look at what has been pushed over the last decade.

2 of the girls showed a bit of u understanding and empathy with environment and natural balance, but to be fair all the lads wanted to do was to squeeze the last drop of juice regardless of consequences...

We were probably like that at that age too I guess..

Ouch, and we thought cattle prices were back with the poor year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I wouldn't be of the same opinion.

There's a gradual sea change of opinion occurring in the industry and the main reason for this broadening of knowledge is the increasing costs of mainstream agriculture. You can say they're interested in soil life or clean quality produce and it's a bonus but mainstream agriculture has been squeezing and squeezing every last cent out of the farmer to the point now where it's the economic side of it has forced farmers to reconsider what they're at and if they can farm cheaper with less inputs but still maintain output.

You only would've just to see the response of that biological conference in Tullamore and the attendance there to see the interest among farmers looking for an alternative way.

I wouldn't dismiss teagasc either. Dr.Paddy Wall has been sent out lately to geek up on the biological side of soil life.
    I was at a recent phosphorus meeting in Johnstown and soil life is being discussed. The whole talk was about phosphorus and nitrate impacts and how to prevent pollution and we're just at the tip of the iceberg now in monitoring farmers with what is coming down the tracks. The milk coops seemingly are going to have a role in this new waterway sampling.
    There's thousands of samples being currently taken with the Dunleer area seemingly the worst in the country. So it's no wonder councils are cold calling farmers there. It's related to soil type and farming practices with what leaches out into the waterways.
    It may even get to the point where slurry will have to be nutrient tested before being applied?

But I wouldn't take a view of one snapshot of young Macra farmers on ettg as a view of the whole industry. Most young male farmers would be too embarrassed to say they're interested in the natural and biological side of farming. It'd be much more street cred to be wearing a dairymaster jacket discussing rotary parlours and what the price of fertilizer is going to be next year sitting in an auto steer New Holland with GPS.

So where you awake at the usual time?

• Advertisement

You managed a very quick switchover, you were still autumn calving until last year? What's your spring 6wk calving like? It's been a slow drawn out affair here going from ayr to block calving feb to june and the few in the autumn, to ditching the autumn, to slowly dropping the june 2yrs ago, and may this year. If I'd tried to speed it up I'd be facing a much higher cull rate.

I wouldn't be of the same opinion.

There's thousands of samples being currently taken with the Dunleer area seemingly the worst in the country. So it's no wonder councils are cold calling farmers there. It's related to soil type and farming practices with what leaches out into the waterways.
    It may even get to the point where slurry will have to be nutrient tested before being applied?

But I wouldn't take a view of one snapshot of young Macra farmers on ettg as a view of the whole industry. Most young male farmers would be too embarrassed to say they're interested in the natural and biological side of farming. It'd be much more street cred to be wearing a dairymaster jacket discussing rotary parlours and what the price of fertilizer is going to be next year sitting in an auto steer New Holland with GPS.

Do you have a link to this please. Our county council inspector calls to most farms every year and writes up a report. I am assuming other county council inspectors are supposed to do the same but don't. There seems to be different rules for each county. With some people never having had an inspection. I walk my river about twice a week in the winter and see it every day in the summer. In fact I normally am the one to ring the council to tell them their sewerage is overflowing into the river again.

So where you awake at the usual time?

I was, slept on a bit after but trying to shift a cold so not sleeping right with it anyway. Pumping slurry today so mainly just feeding to do over Xmas. If it's dry I might nab lads to go dosing while they are around.

You managed a very quick switchover, you were still autumn calving until last year? What's your spring 6wk calving like? It's been a slow drawn out affair here going from ayr to block calving feb to june and the few in the autumn, to ditching the autumn, to slowly dropping the june 2yrs ago, and may this year. If I'd tried to speed it up I'd be facing a much higher cull rate.

Yeah calved last autumn. Tb has me hit with numbers anyway so going buying back in. Rolled over the autumn calvers and served them for this spring and have 40 incalf heifers. 6 wk rate about 75% first one due Jan 29. Last one due 2 May but that was due to the bull breaking back in, had him pulled out to finish in April. Just a case of stopping breeding really. Next year will be the test in terms of getting cow's back in calf. Have a share of empties to offload in the new year and will buy in after. Want Feb calvers. Flip flopping between buying incalf and buying calved, will be restricted from March 15 again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Do you have a link to this please. Our county council inspector calls to most farms every year and writes up a report. I am assuming other county council inspectors are supposed to do the same but don't. There seems to be different rules for each county. With some people never having had an inspection. I walk my river about twice a week in the winter and see it every day in the summer. In fact I normally am the one to ring the council to tell them their sewerage is overflowing into the river again.
    I'm sure they are going to destock and only build numbers again when they have enough processing to cater for the numbers contributing.:D

Or is that only sauce for the goose?

• Advertisement

The Dunleer station is one of I think 7 to 10 sampling stations carried out by teagasc themselves. The epa have thousands of manual sampling sites but teagasc have these sites themselves where sampling is automatic every 5 minutes.

https://www.teagasc.ie/environment/water-quality/agricultural-catchments/news/2018/video-collaboration.php

The Dunleer station is one of I think 7 to 10 sampling stations carried out by teagasc themselves. The epa have thousands of manual sampling sites but teagasc have these sites themselves where sampling is automatic every 5 minutes.

https://www.teagasc.ie/environment/water-quality/agricultural-catchments/news/2018/video-collaboration.php

I must be missing something, which is possible as I'm on top of my head. I don't see any comment the dunleer area is the worst in the country in that link. Which is what you posted earlier. If anything it's actually good what's in that link

I was away and busy here the last few days and one scraper wasn't working so had to scrape with the tractor until I had a chance to look at it. I had a chance this morning and couldn't find anything obvious that I could fix wrong with it.

It still wasn't working so I rang the store and a service man arrived. He switched it on and away it went:o

Anyway, he changed a circuit board which was a bit damp and it worked away for him.

Switched it on this evening and not working again:mad:

I was away and busy here the last few days and one scraper wasn't working so had to scrape with the tractor until I had a chance to look at it. I had a chance this morning and couldn't find anything obvious that I could fix wrong with it.

It still wasn't working so I rang the store and a service man arrived. He switched it on and away it went:o

Anyway, he changed a circuit board which was a bit damp and it worked away for him.

Switched it on this evening and not working again:mad:

Is there water getting in where the wires are near the ram?

I must be missing something, which is possible as I'm on top of my head. I don't see any comment the dunleer area is the worst in the country in that link. Which is what you posted earlier. If anything it's actually good what's in that link

It was mentioned at the meeting.

The Ounavarra river that flows from the macamores in wexford was also mentioned.
    Any heavy land that doesn't soak well with water running on top of the ground are very liable to phosphorus run off.

Free draining land is liable to nitrate leaching and heavy land to phosphorus run off.
    If you see clayey brown dirty water in a river that's a sure sign of lots of phosphorus going down the swanee with that clay.

Phosphorus causes problems in inland waterways and nitrate causes problems in estuary and seawater.

Is there water getting in where the wires are near the ram?
    No, the whole box is covered with a metal cover but it is outdoors. It looked to me like the coil was going but he found nothing wrong with it. It'll work when the second scraper runs but not on its own so I'll have to run the two of them together unless something goes over Christmas.

No, the whole box is covered with a metal cover but it is outdoors. It looked to me like the coil was going but he found nothing wrong with it. It'll work when the second scraper runs but not on its own so I'll have to run the two of them together unless something goes over Christmas.

I had a similar problem last week. There was water in the connection box that goes to the solenoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Also give the stopper that's on a spring a kick in and out a few times
    Sometimes it's as simple as that getting stuck causing it not to work

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Also give the stopper that's on a spring a kick in and out a few times
    Sometimes it's as simple as that getting stuck causing it not to work

Ha, don't hurt your toe

It was mentioned at the meeting.

The Ounavarra river that flows from the macamores in wexford was also mentioned.
    Any heavy land that doesn't soak well with water running on top of the ground are very liable to phosphorus run off.

Free draining land is liable to nitrate leaching and heavy land to phosphorus run off.
    If you see clayey brown dirty water in a river that's a sure sign of lots of phosphorus going down the swanee with that clay.

Phosphorus causes problems in inland waterways and nitrate causes problems in estuary and seawater.

Ah grand will ask my teagasc advisor when I'm dropping in my soil samples

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement