Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

No complaints out there today

bb107ce66e4a93922c64e1e97238249a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Mortelaro wrote: »
    No complaints out there today

bb107ce66e4a93922c64e1e97238249a.jpg

Milkers?

Yeah mostly Autumn calvers in it at this stage,liquid milk

Yeah mostly Autumn calvers in it at this stage,liquid milk

We discussed it yesterday, sooooo tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭kerry cow

slightly off topic ,but was just wondering if any one remembered oliver McDonnell that wrote in the farming indo , used to love reading his articles each week , inspirational stuff he had going on there , then all of a sudden he went off the scene .
    from meath I think or there around ? had a few sons with him .
    where is he now ?
    miss his columns .

kerry cow wrote: »
    slightly off topic ,but was just wondering if any one remembered oliver McDonnell that wrote in the farming indo , used to love reading his articles each week , inspirational stuff he had going on there , then all of a sudden he went off the scene .
    where is he now ?
    miss his columns .

Loved reading his article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

where is he now ?
    miss his columns .

He stepped on some advertisers toes iirc.

Your right, it’s coming back now. Wrote something and gone the following week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Your right, it’s coming back now. Wrote something and gone the following week

In fairness he was skating on thin ice before that with some of the things he said. Also heard he was looking for discounts etc for mentioning how wonderful products were in his article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Neighbours that also milk cows here last night. He was on about having a radio on in the parlour while he was milking and how the cows seemed to like listening to it and that they would have more milk. His wife said that it was his imagination and that the cows wouldn't be listening.
    They may not be listening, he said, but if that's the story it's a case of in on one ear and out the udder.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

He made an allegation regarding ratio of bull calves to heifers.

found him a tad moany myself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

He made an allegation regarding ratio of bull calves to heifers.

found him a tad moany myself .

Iirc it was related to conception rates which were poor. And it wasn't the cows fault, or his DIY AI sons fault either..... was laying the blame on the straws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

cjpm wrote: »

Iirc it was related to conception rates which were poor. And it wasn't the cows fault, or his DIY AI sons fault either..... was laying the blame on the straws.

I hear he's in a nursing home, so might be best to say no more

pity , people should be able to vent their views ,instead of been closed down , says alot really ,opposition should never fear a challenge ,unless you have something to hide ,

pity , people should be able to vent their views ,instead of been closed down , says alot really ,opposition should never fear a challenge ,unless you have something to hide ,

In fairness unless he had concrete proof he shouldn't have been airing stuff in public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

wrangler wrote: »
    I hear he's in a nursing home, so might be best to say no more

How are the sons getting on ,was it 4 sons he had set up farming .it is must be 15-20 years or more since oliver wrote his column in farming indo .In all fairness he was a stalwarth for farmers the length and breadth of the country .I only wonder did all the work he covered took its toll on him. Rumour had it that he paid colossal money for 20 acres with sizable milk quota in north kerry during the boom .I can only wish him the best and thank him for his contribution to agriculture in ireland.

think that was a different man of the same name that bought that expensive quota .
    maybe our kerry journalist Mary Kingston might write of her experiences of running two herds as she writes in the farming indo , nice to hear everyday stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Amazing what u come across when u google someone's name.just goggled Oliver's name and came across a couple of his articles before he was let go by the indo.it was just like I remembered how they were.doom and gloom and no money in milk,beef,tillage etc,etc yet he kept blowing his hole of how much they owned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/young-farmer-tommy-maunsell

Mother of God talk about living on the absolute edge ha, but fair play to him, probably making a better living than many of us with 5times the land!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Timmaay wrote: »

Mother of God talk about living on the absolute edge ha, but fair play to him, probably making a better living than many of us with 5times the land!

40 acres would be the typical size of small dairy farms down here in north kerry .It would be mighty good land up around killmiolley but he will find it hard to rent any amount of good land near him .I know plenty of young lads that have started milking off smaller milking blocks and have made a great go of it but any good land is hitting €300 to rent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

where is he now ?
    miss his columns .

Weekly whinge from what I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Fair play to him.

I doubt it was him that wrote he started with 18 increased 50% to 55😆

I feel more sorry for the poor journalism ,talk about going round in circles , very poor writing , but fair play to the young farmer for getting off his seat and trying to make a go of it .
    i have great admiration for any one who tries to start a business ,even if it fails I would still say ,at least they had the balls to try and not waste away at home or piggy back on someone else .
    well done tommy

Lovely to see,but no mention of audited accounts, level of borrowing or merchant debt or how much land owned outside the MP or for that matter if the lad has a bob left at the end of the week
    Wouldn't make much sense at 25c a litre anyhow or in a very wet summer
    At 30c I'll bet it's only surviving
    Great for dairy processors to have lads happy to just survive as they'll make their margin regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

We discussed it yesterday, sooooo tempted

Tomorrow is the 1st. Early turnout. Play what's in front of you. How many days were cows put out in less than ideal conditions to try to meet grazing targets iver the past few years? Some talk of 40 being the new 30 for 1st March grazing targets. I'll have to buy a few reels and stakes though. Everything stake and reel we have is with the groups on hybrid rape plus about 100% extra bought since early Nov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Lovely to see,but no mention of audited accounts, level of borrowing or merchant debt or how much land owned outside the MP or for that matter if the lad has a bob left at the end of the week
    Great for dairy processors to have lads happy to just survive as they'll make their margin regardless

The crowd that wrote the article can barely string a proper paragraph together. Wouldn't like to see what they would publish if figures were talked.
    Have the "journalists" had any proper training in writing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

The crowd that wrote the article can barely string a proper paragraph together. Wouldn't like to see what they would publish if figures were talked.
    Have the "journalists" had any proper training in writing?

The "journalist" is like a sixth class pupil given a 1000 word essay to write. The first objective being to get to 1000 words with the content being a far out second!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Bet he's doing very nicely indeed. It looks to be a very well thought out operation with no waste and all acres run as productive as possible. Probably dissapoint people but I bet he has 60k before tax and repayments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

alps wrote: »
    Bet he's doing very nicely indeed. It looks to be a very well thought out operation with no waste and all acres run as productive as possible. Probably dissapoint people but I bet he has 60k before tax and repayments.

Still not half paid. He deserves that for labour alone not to mention a return on investment, land, facilities charge, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

straight wrote: »
    Still not half paid. He deserves that for labour alone not to mention a return on investment, land, facilities charge, etc.

All depends on repayments. Could have very few which wouldn't be uncommon in family farms. Tax then after that which could be sore.
    I'd say alot of farms with low borroeings under the 100 cows would be fairly well off compared to farms who have expanded quickly since quotas have gone and put every penny back in.

My parents made a good living from 50 cows. Put 3 through collage and bought land

• Advertisement

it's not easy to make a living out of 18 cows and i think.he has made great progress in achieving where he is .
    what was he to do ,pack it up and leave , maybe the guy next door may go and he may get a chance to expand ,
    keep positive , we all need support and need to stop taking people down .
    we have become a nation of cutting the legs from all round us and i have been guilty of it in the past ,
    glass half stuff .

happy New year to all .
    may 2019 bring positive things to all .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Muddy76

Im new to this website.Great debate and chat.
    Just looking for some advice on parlour floors.
    I am doing a new parlour and the crowd putting it in are recommending i put a sprinkle on colourent/hardner on the floor where the cows are standing while being milked.i am just worried that it will look great just like tarmac does in the first year or two and then look dirty after a couple of years.any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Muddy76 wrote: »
    I am doing a new parlour and the crowd putting it in are recommending i put a sprinkle on colourent/hardner on the floor where the cows are standing while being milked.i am just worried that it will look great just like tarmac does in the first year or two and then look dirty after a couple of years.any advice

We have it In our 2 parlours, one for 17 years still looks good, make sure u get the right stuff..I bought it in Dublin of concrete chemical solutions, pricey tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

Muddy76 wrote: »

We don't have it in any of our 3 parlours. Managing fine without it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

kevthegaff wrote: »
    We have it In our 2 parlours, one for 17 years still looks good, make sure u get the right stuff..I bought it in Dublin of concrete chemical solutions, pricey tho
    My brothers parlour meant to say, it's a nice finish but costly..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 morclc

We have two cows with growth/lump of skin between the two claws of their hoof. Its very sore when touched or hit off something. Has anyone ever had a cow with this before and what is the best thing to do for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

morclc wrote: »
    We have two cows with growth/lump of skin between the two claws of their hoof. Its very sore when touched or hit off something. Has anyone ever had a cow with this before and what is the best thing to do for it?

Sounds like advanced mortelaro, healmax/intra repiderma spray should cure it, are you footbathing,....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

morclc wrote: »

not easy to do but rub a paste of bluestone (copper sulfate) made up with a little cooking oil daily,

saw a hoof man use a bluestone bandage,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This might interest some, a conference on OAD on the 15th in Horse and Jockey.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1080487777433763840?s=19

• Advertisement

Soil sampled here before the break and got results today. Whole farm bang on with pH, grazing area index 4's, silage ground mostly 4s for P but alarmingly 1's and 2's for K...

Pretty shocking...getting plenty slurry (4k per cut)and probably 4x 18.6.12 over the year. Weve never sampled slurry, but i reckon were gonna need bagged K for a bit

Looks like the price of K is pretty stable and low....

No doubt I'm going to have to listen to the "price has gone mad over the last few month's"

Anyone price it lately...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

390 for a few ton 18 6 12 delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

With the ground in mighty condition are ye dairy guys/gals going to go for urea straight after deadline? Or is there a few of ye spreading "gran-lime" already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

With the ground in mighty condition are ye dairy guys/gals going to go for urea straight after deadline? Or is there a few of ye spreading "gran-lime" already?

That bird has flow the coop it looks like.
    Weather changes on the way.
    Winter is here...???

Question mark obviously because it's the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

That bird has flow the coop it looks like.
    Weather changes on the way.
    Winter is here...???

Question mark obviously because it's the weather.

Only guessing on weather forum. They are mad for some snow over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Slurry first here anyway. Have some urea in the yard, may go on some of the driest ground with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

alps wrote: »
    Looks like the price of K is pretty stable and low....

No doubt I'm going to have to listen to the "price has gone mad over the last few month's"

Anyone price it lately...?

Advisor always says to go with sulphate of potash, dunno the price. Would be wary on milking platform of grass tetany? How long between your sample taken and last applications of anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

8 ton of urea going out on the 15th

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    8 ton of urea going out on the 15th

Does the closed period end on the 15th or can you spread on the 15th?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement