Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Only guessing on weather forum. They are mad for some snow over there.

A Sudden Stratospheric Warming has occurred, that much is true anyways.

Even the settled weather forecast for next week has changed too.
    Rain all day here today and temps of 6c.

It looks like anyone that got out dirty water already made the right decision.. trafficability wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do any of you get someone to bring your calves to the mart and sell them for you? What do they charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

saw urea going out over the last 3 days on very dry land ,
    wonder was he waiting his money ?

or maybe it was gran lime this time of year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kerry cow wrote: »
    saw urea going out over the last 3 days on very dry land ,
    wonder was he waiting his money ?

or maybe it was gran lime this time of year ?

To answer your first question he wouldn’t of been mad ,soil temp over 9 degrees and ground lime n serious conditio
    To answer second part it was probably Gran lime as u can’t spread n or p atm.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do any of you get someone to bring your calves to the mart and sell them for you? What do they charge?
    €7.... but lost out badly the last time we sent them. Even if we get someone to take them, I'd try to get to the mart for the actual sale.

• Advertisement

Does the closed period end on the 15th or can you spread on the 15th?

15th is included in the closed period....

alps wrote: »
    15th is included in the closed period....

That's what I thought, so spreading is allowed on the 16th

Mooooo wrote: »
    Advisor always says to go with sulphate of potash, dunno the price. Would be wary on milking platform of grass tetany? How long between your sample taken and last applications of anything?
    Summer collected washings etc end of October to most of the ground. Paddock we fed the cows in at night time during the drought came back at 28.6P and 334K...don't think that's going to need much application for a while...although that's the one with the tillage radish.

Radish would have to die first to add nutrients...wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Only guessing on weather forum. They are mad for some snow over there.

They are
    But that doesn't change the fact that there's a real risk of very cold weather from about the 3rd week of January due to the exact same weather phenomenon happening right now in the stratosphere above the north pole as what caused last February and marches mayhem if you follow?
    It could last a month or more like last year?so we are going for a coat of slurry only and no chemical fert untill I'm certain that risk is gone
    We're also currently grazing off all cover with the cows on the ground earmarked for the slurry as ground conditions are good
    To speed up that process ,they're now out at night and happy as Larry,how many times have I seen that before? Never,it's quite remarkable and a huge saving on silage

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Mortelaro wrote: »
    They are
    But that doesn't change the fact that there's a real risk of very cold weather from about the 3rd week of January due to the exact same weather phenomenon happening right now in the stratosphere above the north pole as what caused last February and marches mayhem if you follow?
    It could last a month or more like last year?so we are going for a coat of slurry only and no chemical fert untill I'm certain that risk is gone
    We're also currently grazing off all cover with the cows on the ground earmarked for the slurry as ground conditions are good
    To speed up that process ,they're now out at night and happy as Larry,how many times have I seen that before? Never,it's quite remarkable and a huge saving on silage

Left off out yearling heifers for same reason yesterday. Get some covers grazed off for slurry and also before frost takes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Saw a few of our neighbour's cows grazing paddocks yesterday after a few weeks sabbatical :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'll take snow anyday in January against during the height of calving in March when sheds all jammers, cows intakes rocketing, place littered with calves etc!

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'll take snow anyday in January against during the height of calving in March when sheds all jammers, cows intakes rocketing, place littered with calves etc!
    Wouldn't we all
    Trouble is,this could do February and a part of march
    The strat anomaly takes three weeks to impact our weather and can take another 3 or 4 weeks causing mahem
    Latest analysis from met office leaked over on netweather has a scenario similar to nov Dec 2010 ie Siberian sourced north easterlies
    Those are much snowier in east Wicklow than the straight easterlies prior to Storm Emma from last February
    Regardless there's always a chance this won't happen and from a farming point of view let's hope it won't but I've an awful bad feeling and it's no harm being prepared is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Wouldn't we all
    Trouble is,this could do February and a part of march
    The strat anomaly takes three weeks to impact our weather and can take another 3 or 4 weeks causing mahem
    Latest analysis from met office leaked over on netweather has a scenario similar to nov Dec 2010 ie Siberian sourced north easterlies
    Those are much snowier in east Wicklow than the straight easterlies prior to Storm Emma from last February
    Regardless there's always a chance this won't happen and from a farming point of view let's hope it won't but I've an awful bad feeling and it's no harm being prepared is it

But but but last years snow was a one in 40 year event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

They are

Let us know when ya reckon it is safe. No point growing it to be burnt off again. Would like to be putting out a bag per acre asap after 15th.

But but but last years snow was a one in 40 year event
    Ha!
    Yer man with the glasses that accompanied Evelyn cusack and others last march may get used to the smell of sheep in the kildare street reception lobby:D because ive a feeling that he'll be back
    Anyway I'll shut up now

Let us know when ya reckon it is safe. No point growing it to be burnt off again. Would like to be putting out a bag per acre asap after 15th.

We should have a better idea in a week or two,I'll certainly try and update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We should have a better idea in a week or two,I'll certainly try and update
    I can deal with snow, frost and freezing pipes but not that cmut of the non relenting sub zero east from the beast wind that we had last year :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I think the weather forum is playing down the real cold snap as it seems to be more concentrated over mainland Europe

Reggie. wrote: »
    I think the weather forum is playing down the real cold snap as it seems to be more concentrated over mainland Europe

They're playing it down because a SSW is not a guarrantee of cold easterly weather for us. It's an good indicator of potentially cold weather but not a guarrantee.

I pointed that out to a poster here on the farming forum 2 years ago when they were warning about the guaranteed cold weather in their eyes from a SSW at that time and they accused me of being a troll and then closed their account.
    The cold weather never materialized for us that time.
    Lessons learned and all that.

• Advertisement

I can't seem to get more than a few months out of these wash down valves, I'll admit straight out it's because I usually just drop the hose on the ground after using it ha, but anyways anyone know of any better valves? I really don't wanna go out and buy another one of the above for like 37e, I'd rather pay more for something that will last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They're playing it down because a SSW is not a guarrantee of cold easterly weather for us. It's an good indicator of potentially cold weather but not a guarrantee.

I pointed that out to a poster here on the farming forum 2 years ago when they were warning about the guaranteed cold weather in their eyes from a SSW at that time and they accused me of being a troll and then closed their account.

All the same you wouldn’t be hooking up the spreader and going with a bag of urea on the 15th across the whole farm, if it’s been done as a Hail Mary because their isn’t enough feed in the yard to last past March you’d be very worried for lads putting so much faith in a soft spring

jaymla627 wrote: »
    All the same you wouldn’t be hooking up the spreader and going with a bag of urea on the 15th across the whole farm, if it’s been done as a Hail Mary because their isn’t enough feed in the yard to last past March you’d be very worried for lads putting so much faith in a soft spring

I agree but of ground temps and conditions are same in just over a weeks time and if no significant cold forecast I’m going with bag of amidas

Reggie. wrote: »
    Day to day comments on the models mean nothing in this set up

The last major stratospheric warming was in 2013,it didn't affect Ireland much
    Minor ones in other years affecting here are almost coincidental, it doesn't happen
    2 years ago was minor,this ones major,an entire split of low pressure systems in the artic is predicted this time
    What that does is weaken the jet stream allowing high pressure to develop in the Atlantic or Scandinavia

Both promote weather like last Feb march
    There is absolutely no certainty with these events except it takes 3 weeks for their impact on the lower atmosphere where our weather is made to be known

In summary don't let the weather for the next 2 or 3 weeks fool you,there is a real risk of much much colder, so down on our knees as farmers praying it doesn't happen?

I'll update in a week or two because like the most of us,I only have the time to pop in here once or twice a day or a week at this stage :eek:

Minor ones in other years affecting here are almost coincidental, it doesn't happen
    2 years ago was minor,this ones major,an entire split of low pressure systems in the artic is predicted this time
    What that does is weaken the jet stream allowing high pressure to develop in the Atlantic or Scandinavia

There is absolutely no certainty with these events except it takes 3 weeks for their impact on the lower atmosphere where our weather is made to be known

In summary don't let the weather for the next 2 or 3 weeks fool you,there is a real risk of much much colder, so down on our knees as farmers praying it doesn't happen?

I'll update in a week or two because like the most of us,I only have the time to pop in here once or twice a day or a week at this stage :eek:

It will be head in the sand stuff up to the point it occurs if it does, their was zero lessons learned from last spring in alot of cases, the false sense of security some lads have lulled themselves into is hands in the head stuff, a bit of precautionary buying of silage now our feeding straights to leave a reserve of feed in the yard for late March/April should be mandatory, but the general census is to wing it and adopt the just in time model if the sh*t does hit the fan

As you yourself are only New to boards you mightnt know that we don't talk about posters who have closed their accounts and can't reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Be nothing wrong with chancing half a bag of urea to feck.
    I no with our farm on the west, place never looked as well and as green after the winter but all it will take is 1 big bad atlantic storm to burn the whole place off.
    I suppose no word or no hope even on Jackie Cahills calls for the slurry deadline to be lifted... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I agree but of ground temps and conditions are same in just over a weeks time and if no significant cold forecast I’m going with bag of amidas

I'll have it in the yard next week any way and if it's like this in going.
    We reseeded a bit of lawn back in the autumn and it was yellow looking in early December, I put a bit of fert on it.
    Well you should see the crop of grass on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It will be head in the sand stuff up to the point it occurs if it does, their was zero lessons learned from last spring in alot of cases, the false sense of security some lads have lulled themselves into is hands in the head stuff, a bit of precautionary buying of silage now our feeding straights to leave a reserve of feed in the yard for late March/April should be mandatory, but the general census is to wing it and adopt the just in time model if the sh*t does hit the fan

Agreed. Heard in a movie the last day
    "Running out of fuel as the plane tires touch the ground is not smart.”

• Advertisement

I'll have it in the yard next week any way and if it's like this in going.
    We reseeded a bit of lawn back in the autumn and it was yellow looking in early December, I put a bit of fert on it.
    Well you should see the crop of grass on it now.

And no need to lash out a full bag/ac, half bag plenty to get the grass going, you can always go again mid Feb etc.

In terms of anyone grazing out their full farm right now, on the bases of what currently must be a less than 20% chance of serious snow that burns off every single bit of grass on the farm, no that's wayyy over the top, why would you completely derail the rest of your spring grazing plans based on this small risk? The only reason I'm still grazing now is because it's covers on farily wet ground that I'm very unlikely to be able to graze if it gets wet next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dunno about any of that technical stuff but 2013 spring was cold enough to stop growth that spring down here, and since we had been feeding since July of 12 it wasn't pretty

Dunno about any of that technical stuff but 2013 spring was cold enough to stop growth that spring down here, and since we had been feeding since July of 12 it wasn't pretty

Aye me a culpa,I was in weather forum mode,I meant in terms of snow versus the UK
    It was a poor grass spring

In terms of anyone grazing out their full farm right now, on the bases of what currently must be a less than 20% chance of serious snow that burns off every single bit of grass on the farm, no that's wayyy over the top, why would you completely derail the rest of your spring grazing plans based on this small risk? The only reason I'm still grazing now is because it's covers on farily wet ground that I'm very unlikely to be able to graze if it gets wet next few months.
    I'm not grazing out my entire farm,I'd say there's about 50 acres in the available MP closed since November and staying closed
    Always hedge a bit
    Anything grazed now is for slurry
    But to answer your question ,we used get in sheep over the winter for 30 or 40 years to bare up paddocks and never had a grass shortage in spring ,just thicker lovely grass
    All the cows are doing now this week is the exact same job while ground conditions are good,plus making cheap milk to boot,what's not to like?

The cold threat is real,it's not for dismissing, I think it's prudent to take account of it but of course it mightnt happen, well Know more in a week to 10 days

And no need to lash out a full bag/ac, half bag plenty to get the grass going, you can always go again mid Feb etc.

If ground conditions and temps are good next week might as well lash bag out and get most u can from it .if neither are right I’ll wait till they are and go full bag

As you yourself are only New to boards you mightnt know that we don't talk about posters who have closed their accounts and can't reply.

Ken ring used to be on boards.
    Everyone talks and posts about that and how he got his ass handed to him on a plate by a certain forecaster with facts from the southeast. Free speech and so on..

Aye me a culpa,I was in weather forum mode,I meant in terms of snow versus the UK
    It was a poor grass spring

I'm not grazing out my entire farm,I'd say there's about 50 acres in the available MP closed since November and staying closed
    Always hedge a bit
    Anything grazed now is for slurry
    But to answer your question ,we used get in sheep over the winter for 30 or 40 years to bare up paddocks and never had a grass shortage in spring ,just thicker lovely grass
    All the cows are doing now this week is the exact same job while ground conditions are good,plus making cheap milk to boot,what's not to like?

The cold threat is real,it's not for dismissing, I think it's prudent to take account of it but of course it mightnt happen, well Know more in a week to 10 days

The sun is dead mini-ice age trend on the weather forum basically mapped out what happened in feb/March 18 long before the event, with the precursor going forward that was only a dress-rehearsal for what’s in-store over the next 4 winters this one included, it’s fascinating reading into it but if it comes to past, it will be some carnage for farmers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The sun is dead mini-ice age trend on the weather forum basically mapped out what happened in feb/March 18 long before the event, with the precursor going forward that was only a dress-rehearsal for what’s in-store over the next 4 winters this one included, it’s fascinating reading into it but if it comes to past, it will be some carnage for farmers
    Does that trend affect summers too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I can't seem to get more than a few months out of these wash down valves, I'll admit straight out it's because I usually just drop the hose on the ground after using it ha, but anyways anyone know of any better valves? I really don't wanna go out and buy another one of the above for like 37e, I'd rather pay more for something that will last.

It might be no use to you but I use an ordinary 1 inch lever valve with a fitting that came with the pump first day but shouldn't be difficult to make. I normally get over a year out of the valve once I superglue the nut on the lever onto the valve itself. It uses way less water than those valves as well.
    S7EEScC.jpg
    FQzECO3.jpg

Ken ring used to be on boards.
    Everyone talks and posts about that and how he got his ass handed to him on a plate by a certain forecaster with facts from the southeast. Free speech and so on..

Being a prolific user of google you will surely know that with regard to your online presence there is an EU right to be forgotten
    It is the law
    In order to comply with that law,Boards.ie gave users the option to close their accounts and have personal information held by them removed from the company's database
    That is also why discussion or mentioning members previous user names is not allowed on boards
    (This does not prohibit reviewing services like Ken Rings)

We get a few years out of it. Wrap it up on an old steel reel after use each time

Being a prolific user of google you will surely know that with regard to your online presence there is an EU right to be forgotten
    It is the law
    In order to comply with that law,Boards.ie gave users the option to close their accounts and have personal information held by them removed from the company's database
    That is also why discussion or mentioning members previous user names is not allowed on boards

Be the hokey!

<Modsnip>

• Advertisement

Going on the 11 year sun cycle since our last bad time in 2009 it's 2020 that will be low point. Then it's upward again till the next 11 years.
    We are in a low point at the moment however and it's been a great winter so far. If that's from a solar minimum then shur aren't solar minimums great!

If mathematician Valentina Zarkhova is to be believed it's the next cycle we should be planning for.

Look back at the weather in ireland at the start of the 1700's if you're into solar minimums.

Here's mine,same wash down pump as you if you got it off the crowd in cork?
    The hose manually rolled up on an old reel and the gun head I got in the local glanbia store ,have it a few years now,no issues

It is the law

This right to be forgotten nonsense doesn't apply if a person's details appear online from a Google search.
    You can request a deletion of information from Google with the url's attached but if denied tough luck sonny jim.

This stuff about discussing past posters on boards is just edicate and it's up to the mods of the forums whether it's of relevance or not.

Right to be forgotten won't protect that or anything on boards or else every poster will start quoting "right to be forgotten" when someone replies to a post from poster that they don't like or have no reply for.

Anything you post here is here forever unless hid by the action in my first paragraph or moderators work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Going on the 11 year sun cycle since our last bad time in 2009 it's 2020 that will be low point. Then it's upward again till the next 11 years.
    We are in a low point at the moment however and it's been a great winter so far. If that's from a solar minimum then shur aren't solar minimums great!

If mathematician Valentina Zarkhova is to be believed it's the next cycle we should be planning for.

Look back at the weather in ireland at the start of the 1700's if you're into solar minimums.

solar cycles, (sunspot highs and lows) have no influence of weather patterns.

orm0nd wrote: »
    solar cycles, (sunspot highs and lows) have no influence of weather patterns.
    You'd be in the minority with that view.

Winters of 2009 and 2010 would beg to differ.
    Not to talk about those little ice ages and minimum periods.

The biggest influence on this little blue ball and reason for our existence is that nuclear reactor in the sky.
    It influences the strength of our magnetic field and thickness of atmosphere and varies on it's output during the cycles. It makes cosmic rays more able to penetrate our atmosphere during minimum periods and they thus influence thunderstorms.

To say that the cycles don't influence weather..is a totally radical suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

You'd be in the minority with that view.

Winters of 2009 and 2010 would beg to differ.
    Not to talk about those little ice ages and minimum periods.

The biggest influence on this little blue ball and reason for our existence is that nuclear reactor in the sky.
    It influences the strength of our magnetic field and thickness of atmosphere and varies on it's output during the cycles. It makes cosmic rays more able to penetrate our atmosphere during minimum periods and they thus influence thunderstorms.

To say that the cycles don't influence weather..is a totally radical suggestion.

Solar activity govern the entire planet. Not just Ireland. Anyhow this isn't the thread to discuss it.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Solar activity govern the entire planet. Not just Ireland. Anyhow this isn't the thread to discuss it.

It governs the whole planet but it just so happens that Ireland is on a tipping point in the northern hemisphere between Atlantic influenced and continental influenced weather so it's extremely noticeable when it does change.

Threads always change back and forth and this started with cloughcasey wondering if he would chance out granular lime and Jay bringing up solar minimums for his silage selling business.
    It'll go back no bother.

All cows housed and dry here and drawing silage now that I bought earlier in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Turning heifers into parlour here for a bit of training and tail clipping. Pray for me

It governs the whole planet but it just so happens that Ireland is on a tipping point in the northern hemisphere between Atlantic influenced and continental influenced weather so it's extremely noticeable when it does change.

Threads always change back and forth and this started with cloughcasey wondering if he ge wslaiould chance out granular lime and Jay i up solar minimums for his silage selling business.
    It'll go back no bother.

All cows housed and dry here and drawing silage now that I bought earlier in the year.

With fert price increases going tag on another 5 euro plus on to a bale of silage made in 19 not selling anymore surpluses, will carry over silage for next year , would need to be getting 45 odd euro a bale to cover costs on anything sold from now on and to replace it in 19

Turning heifers into parlour here for a bit of training and tail clipping. Pray for me

I gave up on bothering to parlour train heifers here, instead I have them mixed in with some dry cows now, I find that helps hugely when they come into the milking herd then. I also always have help for one milking a day during most of Feb and March. Had very few problems last yr, use to be hell on myown before ha.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement